Group One Betting Guide
|Date:||Saturday, September 28, 2024|
|Location:||Randwick Racecourse – Sydney, New South Wales|
The 1600m race for three-year-old fillies is Sydney’s premier juvenile race for fillies and the winners list is an incredible list of champion runners.
The Flight Stakes is the fourth leg of the Princess series for fillies which includes the Silver Shadow Stakes, The Furious Stakes and the Tea Rose Stakes. Only one horse has won all four with Samantha Miss creating history in 2008.
It’s a race which is typically won by future top-liners and it continues to stand the test of time as one of Australia’s best horse races. Punters love this aspect about the Flight Stakes and the favoured runners are usually heavily-backed in the win markets.
2024 Flight Stakes betting odds
Odds for the 2024 Flight Stakes are currently unavailable.
Best Flight Stakes bookmakers
One of the most popular betting races during the year, the Flight Stakes attracts big and small punters throughout Australia. The bigger punters see the race as a good opportunity to find a potential champion at a good price and the general public love seeing good thoroughbreds in action.
Due to it being the final leg of a series, it’s tough for bookmakers to open markets early. Our recommended bookmakers will open All In markets which offer nice odds, but there is the risk that your runner won’t start.
Fixed odds markets will be opened with the following bookmakers.
Latest Flight Stakes News
Flight Stakes betting guide
Betting in the Flight Stakes has been relatively straight forward in recent history. Apart from upset winner Secret Admirer in 2010 which paid $16, Montefilia in 2020 as a $12 chance and the blowout win by Never Been Kissed at $41 in 2021, the winners have been well-found in the market.
Eight of the last 14 favourites have won and the 2014 and 2015 winners both paid a slim price of $2.25. Guelph won in 2013 paying an extremely skinny $1.30 with bookmakers. The Darley filly had an excellent record and it was the shortest-priced winner in Flight Stakes history.
Yankee Rose ran as the $1.90 favourite in 2016, but subsequently finished second behind Global Glamour which closed at $6.50 with bookmakers.
Since 1983, there has been only six double-figure odds winners. Punters should look towards the favourites as this is a champion-making mile and the good horses are set for this.
The champions which have won the Flight Stakes include Sunline, More Joyous and Samantha Miss. All three were heavy favourites coming into the race and scored impressive wins.
There have been some well-fancied beaten runners, too. Champion mare Winx finished second in 2014 behind First Seal, More Strawberries was beaten by Secret Admirer in 2010 and a host of other horses have been placed behind the winners.
The best form guide leading into the Flight Stakes is the Tea Rose Stakes. 14 horses have come out of the Tea Rose with nine completing the double. The rise up to 1600m from the 1400m is ideal for the improving fillies so keep an eye on all of the Princess series races.
Gai Waterhouse has won the Flight Stakes on 11 occasions from 33 starts.
Jockey Hugh Bowman has won the Flight Stakes five times from 12 starts.
2024 Flight Stakes Final Field
HorseBetting will update this page when the 2024 Flight Stakes Final Field is released.
Previous Flight Stakes Fields
Plenty of future Group 1 stars have won the Flight Stakes. Check the previous fields of the Flight Stakes here.
No. Silks Horse Trainer Jockey Barrier Weight 1 Tiz Invincible Ciaron Maher & David Eustace Zac Lloyd 13 56kg 2 Kimochi Gary Portelli Jason Collett 8 56kg 3 Tropical Squall Gai Waterhouse & Adrian Bott Adam Hyeronimus 6 56kg 4 Miss Joelene Kelly Schweida Ryan Maloney 7 56kg 5 French Endeavour Matthew Smith Dylan Gibbons 4 56kg 6 Summer Loving Gai Waterhouse & Adrian Bott Rachel King 11 56kg 7 Mollynickers Peter Moody & Katherine Coleman Jamie Kah 1 56kg 8 Captain Amelia John O’Shea Blake Shinn 10 56kg 9 Private Legacy Gregory Hickman Tyler Schiller 5 56kg 10 Tutta La Vita Chris Waller Joao Moreira 3 56kg 11 Autumn Angel Peter Moody & Katherine Coleman Billy Egan 2 56kg 12 Unique Ambition John Sargent James McDonald 12 56kg 13 Hasty Honey Brad Widdup Craig Williams 9 56kg No. Silks Horse Trainer Jockey Barrier Weight 1 Fireburn Gary Portelli Brenton Avdulla 9 56kg 2 She’s Extreme Anthony Cummings Tommy Berry 5 56kg 3 Zougotcha Chris Waller James McDonald 2 56kg 4 North Star Lass Gai Waterhouse & Adrian Bott Tim Clark 8 56kg 5 Wolverine Kris Lees Jason Collett 1 56kg 6 Madame Pommery Chris Waller Hugh Bowman 6 56kg 7 Pavitra Richard & Will Freedman TBC 4 56kg 8 Renaissance Woman Bjorn Baker Rachel King 3 56kg 9 Byron Belle John Sargent William Pike 10 56kg 10 Whisker To Whisker John Thompson Chad Schofield 7 56kg No. Silks Horse Trainer Jockey Barrier Weight 1 Four Moves Ahead John Sargent Nash Rawiller 13 56kg 2 Mallory Gerald Ryan & Sterling Hugh Bowman 5 56kg 3 Swift Witness Gai Waterhouse & Adrian Bott Tim Clark 8 56kg 4 She’s All Class Chris Waller James McDonald 10 56kg 5 Startantes Robert Heathcote Sam Clipperton 6 56kg 6 Latino Blend Peter & Paul Snowden Kerrin McEvoy 7 56kg 7 Hinged Chris Waller Glen Boss 4 56kg 8 Von Trapp Mark Newnham Joshua Parr 14 56kg 9 Chill Anthony Cummings Alysha Collett 1 56kg 10 Yearning Michael, Wayne & John Hawkes Tommy Berry 15 56kg 11 Lovemetender Anthony Cummings Robbie Dolan 11 56kg 12 Fangirl Chris Waller Jeff Penza 12 56kg 13 Never Been Kissed Gai Waterhouse & Adrian Bott Regan Bayliss 3 56kg 14 Stray Anthony Cummings Glyn Schofield 2 56kg 15 Galactic Angel Anthony Cummings Brock Ryan 16 56kg 16 Left Reeling John Sargent Jason Collett 9 56kg No. Silks Horse Trainer Jockey Barrier Weight 1 Dame Giselle Peter & Paul Snowden Tommy Berry 1 56kg 2 Hungry Heart Chris Waller James McDonald 4 56kg 3 Vangelic Gai Waterhouse & Adrian Bott Tim Clark 3 56kg 4 Montefilia David Payne Hugh Bowman 6 56kg 5 Joviality Chris Waller Kerrin McEvoy 5 56kg 6 Miravalle Mark Newnham Joshua Parr 7 56kg 7 Alighted Anthony Cummings Regan Bayliss 2 56kg
2023 Flight Stakes result
Recent Flight Stakes winners
- Tropical Squall ($9.00) has led from barrier to winning post in the Group 1 Flight Stakes, giving jockey Adam Hyeronimus his second Group 1 victory and trainers Gai Waterhouse & Adrian Bott their third Flight Stakes success as a training partnership. After jumping the best of any runner in the race, the daughter of Prized Icon took up the lead without any challenge and was allowed to run the race at her own speed, while race favourite Tiz Invincible ($2.90) was made to travel three-wide without cover after crossing from her wide barrier. When the field rounded the home turn, Hyeronimus still had a vice-like grip on the leader, but when he said go, she booted two lengths clear of Kimochi ($5.50). Kimochi chased gamely over the final 300m and held down second place, while Tutta La Vita ($11.00) and Mollynickers ($5.00) finished in fourth and fifth, respectively.
- For the second time in four years, the Chris Waller & James McDonald combination have taken out the Flight Stakes, with Zougotcha smashing her rivals in the 2022 edition. Having gained the gun run in transit from barrier two, JMac was able to angle the Zoustar filly over the heels of the leaders and managed to put two-lengths on Champagne Stakes winner She’s Extreme, whilst race favourite and Golden Slipper winner Fireburn disappointing in fourth.
- It was a dream come true for jockey Regan Bayliss as he secures his first double Group One win on October 2nd winning the 2021 Epsom Handicap and the 2021 Flight Stakes with Never Been Kissed. When running favourite Startantes looked to be stuck at the back of the pack and no clear gap in sight eyes turned to Four Moves Ahead to claim the 2021 Flight Stakes. Although with the beautiful persistence of Never Been Kissed, the three year old filly crossed the line .29 lengths ahead of Hinged and giving Gai Waterhouse her 10th win in the race.
- The David Payne-trained Montefilia put the writing on the wall in the Tea Rose Stakes putting in the best race sectionals, and Montefilia subsequently came out and won the Flight Stakes. The filly managed to wear down race favourite Hungry Heart in the home straight and upon doing so handed jockey Hugh Bowman his fifth Flight Stakes success.
- The Chris Waller trained filly gave no one else a chance when absolutely dominating the Flight Stakes when leading all the way to go on to score by nearly 3.5 lengths and punters were already in the queue to collect by the 200 metre mark, when second elect Probabeel was struglging to stay in the same postcode as the Waller trained filly, which handed the star trainer his first Flight Stakes.
- Tony McEvoy-trained filly Oohood had the unwanted moniker of “best maiden in the country” after a number of brilliant group runs, but the tag was shaken off in the Flight Stakes in spectacular fashion. In a driving finish where four horses where all legitimate chances heading to the line Oohood stuck the neck out at the perfect time to secure a famous win.
- Alizee again showed its true ability by winning the Flight Stakes in emphatic fashion. The James Cummings-trained filly entered the race having beaten a similar field and it made mince meat of them again at Randwick. The 2.25-length win came over Golden Rose placegetter Champagne Cuddles with Cellargirl a further 2.25 lengths back in third. Read report here.
- Gai Waterhouse scored her ninth Flight Stakes win when Global Glamour led from start to finish. In training partnership with Adrian Bott, who won his first Flight Stakes, the three-year-old filly defied an early track bias by leading from the outset and breaking the hearts of its rivals. Global Glamour had been unlucky during its first two spring campaign starts, but jockey Tim Clark took luck out of the occasion. Top fluctuation of $7 was offered for the daughter of Star Witness. Read full report.
- Speak Fondly gave Gai Waterhouse her eighth Flight Stakes victory in 2015 when the filly fought back on the line to beat Honesta. The daughter of Northern Meteor showed its fighting characteristics with Tommy Berry in the saddle as the punters cheered the $2.25 favourite home.
- First Seal faced only a field of seven runners, but it provided one of the most impressive victories in Flight Stakes history. The John Thompson-trained filly defeated future champion Winx by three lengths in an effortless display of galloping. It was never able to recreate the same form, but the $700,000 sales purchase proved its worth on this occasion.
- Another small field was presented in 2013 with Guelph winning as the shortest-priced favourite in history. The Peter Snowden-trained filly won by 1.8 lengths over a field which didn’t contain many superstars. Most other contenders were scared off by Guelph and it did the job as expected.
- Norzita was an easy 2.5-length winner in 2012. The daughter of Thorn Park joined in with under 300m to go and raced away for the win over Longport and Dear Demi. It was an even field which included some nice types, but it was one-way traffic for Norzita.
- Hugh Bowman kicked home another winner with Streama in 2011, and it was a scintillating victory at that. The Guy Walter-trained filly came into the race with good form, but not many predicted it would win by 6.3 lengths. The beaten brigade included Hallowell Belle and Dowager Queen, which were both worthy contestants, but Streama left them for dust. It would continue to win throughout a strong career.
Previous Flight Stakes winners
|Flight StakesPast Winners|
|2023||Tropical Squall||Adam Hyeronimus||Gai Waterhouse & Adrian Bott|
|2022||Zougotcha||James McDonald||Chris Waller|
|2021||Never Been Kissed||Regan Bayliss||Gai Waterhouse & Adrian Bott|
|2020||Montefilia||Hugh Bowman||David Payne|
|2019||Funstar||James McDonald||Chris Waller|
|2018||Oohood||Tim Clark||Tony McEvoy|
|2017||Aliizee||Glyn Schofield||James Cummings|
|2016||Global Glamour||Tim Clark||Gai Waterhouse & Adrian Bott|
|2015||Speak Fondly||Tommy Berry||Gai Waterhouse & Adrian Bott|
|2014||First Seal||Blake Shinn||John Thompson|
|2013||Guelph||Kerrin McEvoy||Peter Snowden|
|2012||Norzita||Hugh Bowman||James Cummings|
|2011||Streama||Hugh Bowman||Guy Walter|
|2010||Secret Admirer||Brenton Avdulla||Grahame Begg|
|2009||More Joyous||Nash Rawiller||Gai Waterhouse|
|2008||Samantha Miss||Hugh Bowman||Kris Lees|
|2007||Race Not Held|
|2006||Cheeky Choice||Hugh Bowman||Gai Waterhouse|
|2005||Fashions Afield||Danny Beasley||Gai Waterhouse|
|2004||Lotteria||Jim Cassidy||Gai Waterhouse|
|2003||Unearthly||Corey Brown||David Hayes|
|2002||Royal Purler||Patrick Payne||Gregory Hickman|
|2001||Ha Ha||Jim Cassidy||Gai Waterhouse|
|2000||Unwordly||Larry Cassidy||John Hawkes|
Flight Stakes Past Winners Pre 2000
|Flight Stakes Past Winners Pre 2000|
|1997||Only A Lady|
|1996||Assertive Lass / Dashing Eagle|
|1989||A Little Kiss|