Group One Betting Guide
|Date:||Saturday, April 24, 2021|
The ATC Champagne Stakes is a Group 1 race for two-year-olds at set weights over the 1600m distance held every year at Randwick Racecourse in Sydney, New South Wales.
First run in 1861, the $500,000 Champagne Stakes was once the premier sprint in Australia before it was overtaken by much richer races such as the Golden Slipper.
The Australian Jockey Club decided to change the distance of the Champagne Stakes to one mile in 1972, which created a third event for elite two-year-old horses in the country.
2021 Champagne Stakes betting odds
On the back of an impressive start to the career of Anamoe, online bookmakers have installed the Godolphin runner as a $3.50 favourite in pre-noms markets as his racing pattern suggests he will relish the 1400m.
It looks to be one of the more open markets of the Autumn carnival with Hilal, Tiger Of Malay, Captivant, Lightsaber and Saif all at single figure quotes.
We strongly suggest that you will get a better price on race day for your fancied runner.
Best Champagne Stakes bookmakers
The race has taken somewhat of a backseat after the fanfare of The Championships, but any online bookmaker which takes itself seriously has markets up at least a week in advance of the race.
It is seldom that a Group 1 event does not get front page privilege on a bookmaker’s website, so keep an eye out at our trusted online bookies for the best odds possible:
Betting on the Champagne Stakes
The cream of the two-year-old crop battle it out every year in the Champagne Stakes, and invariably the standout performers are already in the public eye prior to the running of the race.
The Champagne Stakes has been a favourites race over the last decade.
Exactly half of the runners from 2010 through to 2020 have taken out the Champagne Stakes as the favourite going into the race, with the average price being just over $2.40.
Even when the favourite goes down, it is very rare that a double-figure winner takes out the race. The last time this occurred was back in 2010 when Skilled took out the Champagne Stakes.
Only four winners have taken out the Champagne Stakes at a price of $10 or more since 1983.
2020 Champagne Stakes result
Recent Champagne Stakes winners
- Having taken out the Sires Produce Stakes a fortnight earlier, the Peter and Paul Snowden colt was sent around as a well supported favourite and took out the Champagne Stakes in an entertaining affair. He was made to earn the victory when Glenfiddich set a solid enough tempo up in front and still had a kick to give over the last 200m. When King’s Legacy hit the front it looked like he would kick clear and score more comfortably. Glenfiddich would not lie down and only went down by a half neck on the line with eventual Caulfield Guineas winner Ole Kirk in for third.
- After a number of highly promising lead in runs to this event Castelvecchio loomed large to claim the Champagne Stakes in style. Settling towards midfield the winner couldn’t have gotten a better run in transit and absolutely steamrolled the field in the latter stages to win by just over three lengths on the line ahead of the other cheif contender Loving Gaby.
- Damien Lane and The Mission did it for Newcastle trainer Paul Perry, proving too strong for an all-star cast. After getting out of the gates fairly, The Mission lead most of the way to beat home the odds on favourite – Invader. The Mission was paying $9.50 but there was a bit of money late. $6 chance Whispered Secret was a neck away in third. It was Perry’s first victory in a group one race for eight years, with the last being Newport in The Metropolitan. Read a full report.
- Prized Icon went off as the short-priced favourite in the 2016 edition of the race, and few would have been panicked when El Sicario set a red-hot tempo from the outset, effectively giving the horse something to chase. Glen Schofield had to bustle the colt along early in the straight but it was never troubled, recording a comfortable one length win on the line. Read a full report.
- Pasadena Girl was the $2.80 favourite for the Champagne Stakes in 2015, but on a softer track many a punter were worried about the filly’s ability to make up ground from the back of the field. Hugh Bowman unleashed the gun Peter Moody runner on the outside and it quickly gobbled up the field to record a spectacular win.
- Go Indy Go was looking to back up its Sires Produce Stakes win in the Champagne Stakes, but the market suggested it faced an uphill battle at the $7 quote. The horse was last at the turn but Chad Schofield steered it to the outside and Go Indy Go did the rest. The filly completely outclassed its rivals to record an excellent one length win.
- Guelph came into the 2013 Champaign Stakes as the $2.50 favourite to back up its strong Sires Produce win, but after Fuerza pinched a massive lead into the straight it looked like it would take something special for the filly to run it down. The star Exceed And Excel product produced exactly that to pinch the race in a photo finish which is one of the greatest Champagne Stakes finishes of the modern era.
Champagne Stakes winners
|2020||King’s Legacy||Hugh Bowman||Peter & Paul Snowden|
|2019||Castelvecchio||Joshua Parr||Richard Litt|
|2018||Seabrook||Damien Oliver||Mick Price|
|2017||The Mission||Damian Lane||Paul Perry|
|2016||Prized Icon||Glyn Schofield||James Cummings|
|2015||Pasadena Girl||Hugh Bowman||Peter Moody|
|2014||Go Indy Go||Chad Schofield||Leon Macdonald & Andrew Gluyas|
|2013||Guelph||Kerrin McEvoy||Peter Snowden|
|2012||Pierro||Nash Rawiller||Gai Waterhouse|
|2011||Helmet||Kerrin McEvoy||Peter Snowden|
|2010||Skilled||Joshua Parr||Peter Snowden|
|2009||Onemorenomore||Peter Robl||Jason Coyle|
|2008||Samantha Miss||Hugh Bowman||Kris Lees|
|2007||Meurice||Nash Rawiller||Gai Waterhouse|
|2006||Mentality||Darren Beadman||John Hawkes|
|2005||Carry On Cutie||Lenny Beasley||Gai Waterhouse|
|2004||Dance Hero||Chris Munce||Gai Waterhouse|
|2003||Hasna||Lenny Beasley||Gai Waterhouse|
|2002||Victory Vein||Danny Beasley||Bede Murray|
|2001||Viscount||Richard Quinn||John Hawkes|
|2000||Assertive Lad||Shane Dye||Gai Waterhouse|
Champagne Stakes Past Winners Pre 2000
|1988||Full And By|
|1982||I Like Diamonds|
|1981||Rose Of Kingston|
|1963||Time And Tide|