Sires Produce Stakes (ATC)
The Championships Day 1 – Betting Guide
|Date:||Saturday, April 10, 2021|
|Location:||Royal Randwick, Sydney|
The Group 1 Sires Produce Stakes is a set weight race for two-year-olds, held at Randwick Racecourse.
The last horse to have won the triple crown was Pierro in 2012, when the champion two year old became just the fourth colt in history to manage the feat.
The Sires Produce Stakes is the only Group 1 1400m event on the racing calendar, and with $1 million on offer to the winner it often attracts quite the field.
With many horses and trainers fancying their chances of winning all three of the two year old races, often the Sires Produce Stakes field has a distinct Golden Slipper taste to it.
2021 Sires Produce Stakes betting odds
The quinella in this year’s Golden Slipper Stay Inside and Anamoe head the market for the 2021 Sires Prodcue Stakes with odds of $4.50 available for the pair.
Blue Diamond Stakes winner Artorius looks like he will appreciate stepping up to 1400m after he won a 1300m event in some fashion early on in his campaign.
Hilal and Tiger Of Malay are the other runners in single figures.
Best bookmakers for Sires Produce Stakes
It’s not hard to find a good bookie to punt on the Championships with many of the best having promotions – cash back offers, odds boosts and more – on offer for punters from all states.
Click on any of the banners below to read our bookmaker reviews.
Sires Produce Stakes Bookmakers
Betting on the Sires Produce Stakes
Despite the Sires Produce Stakes having a high prestige, it has been a tough race for favourite punters to emerge in front of. Perfect example was back in 2018, when El Dorado Dreaming floored punters when saluting at odds of $81. Only three favourites have won the race in the last 15 years.
16 winners from 1996 has come through the Golden Slipper, yet only four winners over the past decade have come the same race, so read into that what you may.
Only one winner of the Golden Slipper has gone on to win the Sires Produce Stakes, which was the superstar Pierro back in 2012.
2020 Sires Produce Stakes result
Recent runnings of the Sires Produce Stakes
- It took a sharp turn of foot for King’s Legacy to pounce on Prague who looked to have the race won with 300m to go. Under a perfectly timed ride from Hugh Bowman, King’s Legacy was still six lengths behind Prague at the 200m mark and then three lengths at the 100m. He then pounced in the shadows of the winning post to go on and record his maiden Group 1 success in the ATC Sires Produce Stakes despite finishing worse than midfield in the Golden Slipper the start prior.
- After finishing inside the placings in the Golden Slipper behind stablemate Kiamichi, Microphone was heavily favoured in the Sires market, and backers were rewarded for their persistence. The Slipper winner again made the pace to lead early and looked good in the straight but it was Microphone that steamrolled up its inside to claim the win ahead of the fast finishing Loving Gaby, which got held up earlier in the straight.
- It was meant to be the coming out party for maiden runner Oohood, which had placed previously in the Blue Diamond Stakes and Golden Slipper, but El Dorado Dreaming again relegated the Tony McEvoy runner to a Group 1 placing. Storming home from the back of the field, the despised outsider launched down the middle of the track to upset Oohood, which found clear air a little too late. Read the race report.
- Invader caused a minor upset at odds of $8 to win the 2017 Sires Produce Stakes. The Peter and Paul Snowden-trained juvenile defied a track bias by coming centre track after most winners earlier in the day were camped on the rail. The decision to miss the Golden Slipper proved the right decision for Invader’s connections. Read the race report.
- Yankee Rose gave trainer David Vandyke his first group 1 victory. Ridden by Zac Purton, who settled the horse around midfield, went wide on the straight before joining the leaders at the 300m mark. It then hit the lead at the 200m mark to pay homage to its favourites price of $3.80. Telperion ($4) and Faraway Town ($51) rounded out the minor placings.
- Pride Of Dubai missed the Golden Slipper, before claiming the Sires Produce. Having previously won the Blue Diamond Stakes, Pride of Dubai had form on its side and a great jockey with Hugh Bowman producing a masterful display. With five horses still in the mix at the 200m mark, Pride Of Dubai eventually beat home Odyssey Moon and Rageese.
- Gerald Ryan’s Peggy Jean didn’t compete in the Golden Slipper, and was primed for the Sires Produce. Peggy Jean beat home Scratch Me Lucky and Cornrow to claim the million dollar purse. Peggy Jean was ridden by Nash Rawiller. Ryan, who had three other runners in the race, also had the favourite Believe Yourself but it struggled in the heavy conditions and finished well back.
- Guelph upset pre-race favourite Overreach, who had won the Golden Slipper the week before. But on-course money, which had seen Guelph backed from $12 into $9.50 proved to be correct. Guelph, which finished fourth in the Slipper, clearly enjoyed the extra distance of the Sires Produce.
- Pierro won the second leg of the Sydney Triple Crown in convincing style, before going on to complete it in the Champagne Stakes. It was another huge victory for Gai Waterhouse in the race, remarkably she has won it seven times since the year 2000. Nash Rawiller guided Pierro to the win over Black Caviar’s half brother All Too Hard and Limes.
Past winners of the Sires Produce Stakes
|Sires Produce Stakes Past Winners|
|2020||King’s Legacy||Hugh Bowman||Peter & Paul Snowden|
|2019||Microphone||Hugh Bowman||James Cummings|
|2018||El Dorado Dreaming||Damian Lane||Benjamin Smith|
|2017||Invader||Hugh Bowman||Peter & Paul Snowden|
|2016||Yankee Rose||Zac Purton||David Vandyke|
|2015||Pride Of Dubai||Hugh Bowman||Peter & Paul Snowden|
|2014||Peggy Jean||Nash Rawiller||Gerald Ryan & Sterling Alexiou|
|2013||Guelph||Kerrin McEvoy||Peter Snowden|
|2012||Pierro||Nash Rawiller||Gai Waterhouse|
|2011||Helmet||Kerrin McEvoy||Peter Snowden|
|2010||Yosei||Michelle Payne||Stuart Webb|
|2009||Manhattan Rain||Nash Rawiller||Gai Waterhouse|
|2008||Sebring||Blake Shinn||Gai Waterhouse|
|2007||Camarilla||Darren Beadman||John Hawkes|
|2006||Excites||Zac Purton||Guy Walter|
|2005||Fashion Afield||Darren Beasley||Gai Waterhouse|
|2004||Dance Hero||Glen Boss||Gai Waterhouse|
|2003||Hasna||Lenny Beasley||Gai Waterhouse|
|2002||Victory Vein||Darren Beadman||Bede Murray|
|2001||Viscount||Rodney Quinn||John Hawkes|
|2000||Assertive Lad||Shane Dye||Gai Waterhouse|
Sires Produce Stakes winners pre-2000
|Sires Produce Stakes Past Winners Pre 2000|
|1981||Full On Aces|
|1963||Time And Tide|
|1959||Fine And Dandy|
|1958||Man Of Iron|
|1930||The Doctor’s Orders|
|1904-1894||Race Not Held|