|Date||Saturday, May 4, 2019|
THE Robert Sangster Stakes – also registered as the UBET Classic – is a Group 1 weight-for-age race for fillies and mares aged three years and older at South Australian racetrack Morphettville.
One of the showpiece events of the Adelaide Autumn Racing Carnival, the Robert Sangster Stakes is over the 1200m distance and the total prize money for the race is $1 million.
In 2006, the Robert Sangster Stakes became the only Group 1 race for fillies and mares over the 1200m distance.
The winner of the race pockets $400,000.
Betting on the Robert Sangster Stakes
The Robert Sangster Stakes routinely draws the best three-year-old and upwards from around Australia and even aboard.
The best mares and fillies in the world have competed for the crown, including Black Caviar and Alinghi, but it is interesting to note that over half of the last ten runners in the Robert Sangster Stakes have jumped from double figure barriers.
Four of the last five winners of the Robert Sangster Stakes have also come off the speed and rocketed home on the outside, showcasing how important it is not to draw an inside barrier in the big race.
Best Robert Sangster Stakes bookmakers
The Robert Sangster Stakes is a race that attracts the best and brightest of the female breed to Adelaide for Group 1 glory.
Plenty of focus is on the Australasian Oaks, which is run on the same day, but the Robert Sangster Stakes generates a lot of hype and usually has all-in markets well in advance of the start date.
Robert Sangster Stakes odds
The 2018 edition of the Robert Sangster Stakes looms as one of the most wide-open affairs in recent runnings.
Online bookmaker Ladbrokes has local hero Viddora as the $4.40 favourite, but Quilista ($6) has been the best backed runner ahead of Saturday’s feature.
2018 Robert Sangster Stakes result
Recent Robert Sangster Stakes winners
- Despite having three Group 1 victories to her name, Freedman filly Shoals was a double figure outsider coming into the 2018 Robert Sangster. When the race entered the latter stages however the three-year-old presented on the outside and stormed away to win the prize ahead of last year’s winner Secret Agenda and $91 outsider Mia Lil.
- Secret Agenda scored an all-the-way win in 2017. The Mick Price-trained runner scored the turf early from barrier 16 with Damien Oliver in the saddle and it never looked like being beaten. The four-year-old kicked away on the turn to beat off the likes of Sheidel which was left chasing around the home turn. The win continued the good form of the mare after winning well two back.
- In 2016 Precious Gem emerged from midfield in the latter stages of the race to tip out Shiedel. In a race that saw a riderless horse towards the front of the field, Precious Gem was taken to the outside and delivered a withering burst to salute at $21.
- Running in what would be her final-ever race, Miracles Of Life jumped as a $4.50 shot, but was shuffled back in the field as the race went on. Looking like it was a mile off the pace, the little champion battled towards the lead and got the bob of the head when it mattered to finish its racing career in style.
- Prior to an attempt at a Doomben 10,000 crown, Driefontein went to Morphettville harbouring ambitions of group glory in the Robert Sangster Stakes as a $6.50 elect. The horse broke through for its first major racing crown, but sadly never won again.
- After the short-priced salute of Black Caviar the year prior, few knew exactly how to truly rate the 2013 Robert Sangster Stakes, but most would have thought Platelet was not much of a chance as $12 outsider after it jumped well but landed four wide. The gun horse battled on stoutly though and surged to the lead at the 200m and was never troubled.
- Chasing a historic 20th straight win, Black Caviar started as the shortest price favourite in the race’s history, and the gun runner did not let anyone down. Settling just off the speed the mighty mare strode confidently around the horses on the outside at the turn and shot clear to record a sensational four length win.
Robert Sangster Stakes previous winners
|Year||Robert Sangster Stakes Past Winner|
|2015||Miracles Of Life|
|2003||Our Egyptian Raine|
|2000||Rain Dance Lady|
|1998||Spirit Of Love|
|1989||Tree Of Renown|