Robert Sangster Stakes
Group One Betting Guide
|Date:||Saturday, May 6, 2023|
THE Robert Sangster Stakes – also registered as the TAB Classic – is a Group 1 weight-for-age race for fillies and mares aged three years and older at South Australian racetrack Morphettville.
One of the showpiece events of the Adelaide Autumn Racing Carnival, the Robert Sangster Stakes is over the 1200m distance and the total prize money for the race is a tick over $500,000.
In 2006, the Robert Sangster Stakes became the only Group 1 race for fillies and mares over the 1200m distance.
2023 Robert Sangster Stakes odds
Markets for the 2023 Robert Sangster Stakes are currently unavailable.
Best Robert Sangster Stakes bookmakers
The Robert Sangster Stakes is a race that attracts the best and brightest of the female breed to Adelaide for Group 1 glory.
Plenty of focus is on the Australasian Oaks, which is run on the same day, but the Robert Sangster Stakes generates a lot of hype.
Latest Robert Sangster Stakes News
Betting on the Robert Sangster Stakes
The Robert Sangster Stakes routinely draws the best three-year-old and upwards from around Australia and even aboard.
The best mares and fillies in the world have competed for the crown, including Black Caviar and Alinghi.
It is interesting to note that five of the last six winners have drawn outside of barrier ten.
Since 2010 the average winning price of the Robert Sangster Stakes is approximately $13.50, suggesting looking for one at odds is the smart play.
2023 Robert Sangster Stakes Final Field
The field for the 2023 Robert Sangster Stakes is set to be released on Tuesday, May 2, 2023.
Previous Robert Sangster Stakes Final Fields
Plenty of superstar sprinters of the racing scene have competed in the Robert Sangster Stakes, check out some of the previous final fields.
No. Silks Horse Trainer Jockey Barrier Weight 1 September Run Chris Waller Craig Williams 5 56.5kg 2 Bella Nipotina Ciaron Maher & David Eustace John Allen 3 56.5kg 3 Instant Celebrity Phillip Stokes Daniel Moor 12 56.5kg 4 Bella Vella Will Clarken Kayla Crowther 7 56.5kg 5 Brooklyn Hustle Jason Warren & Dean Krongold Jamie Kah 10 56.5kg 6 Away Game Ciaron Maher & David Eustace Linda Meech 1 56.5kg 7 Snapdancer
Ciaron Maher & David Eustace Ethan Brown 16 56.5kg 8 All Banter Richard & Chantelle Jolly Jake Toeroek 9 56.5kg 9 Chaillot Archie Alexander Declan Bates 6 56.5kg 10 So You Assume Shane Nichols Joe Bowditch 11 56.5kg 11 Another Award Leon Macdonald & Andrew Gluyas Jessica Eaton 2 56.5kg 12 Gaze Grise David Jolly Lachlan Neindorf 15 56.5kg 13 Argentia Anthony & Sam Freedman Mark Zahra 13 55kg 14 Heresy James Cummings Damien Oliver 8 55kg 15 Gimmie Par Peter Moody Barend Vorster 14 55kg 16 Champagne Dreams Wayne Francis & Glen Kent Paul Gatt 4 55kg No. Silks Horse Trainer Jockey Barrier Weight 1 Flit James Cummings Damien Oliver 16 56.5kg 2 Mizzy Anthony Cummings Regan Bayliss 1 56.5kg 3 Subpoenaed Chris Waller Damian Lane 5 56.5kg 4 Pretty Brazen Tony & Calvin McEvoy Barend Vorster 7 56.5kg 5 Lyre Anthony & Sam Freedman Luke Currie 17 56.5kg 6 Brooklyn Hustle Jason Warren & Dean Krongold Mark Zahra 15 56.5kg 7 Prophet’s Thumb Anthony & Sam Freedman Craig Newitt 2 56.5kg 8 Sisstar Tony & Calvin McEvoy William Pike 9 56.5kg 9 Bam’s On Fire Ciaron Maher & David Eustace Todd Pannell 12 56.5kg 10 Humma Humma John McArdle Jamie Mott 10 56.5kg 11 Rubisaki Patrick Payne Billy Egan 4 56.5kg 12 Li’l Kontra Ryan Balfour Brett Prebble 8 56.5kg 13 Paul’s Regret Peter Chow Declan Bates 3 56.5kg 14 Street Icon Kevin Corstens Jason Holder 11 56.5kg 15 Instant Celebrity Phillip Stokes Craig Williams 6 55kg 16 Muntaseera Ciaron Maher & David Eustace Jye McNeil 14 55kg 17 Night Raid Mick Price & Michael Kent Jnr Michael Walker 13 55kg No. Silks Horse Trainer Jockey Barrier Weight 1 Sunlight Tony & Calvin McEvoy Barend Vorster 16 56.5kg 2 I Am Excited David Pfieffer Dom Tourneur 5 56.5kg 3 Savatiano James Cummings Jason Holder 9 56.5kg 4 Madam Rouge Chris Waller Kayla Crowther 10 56.5kg 5 Teleplay Mick Price & Michael Kent Jnr Shayne Cahill 2 56.5kg 6 Bam’s On Fire Ciaron Maher & David Eustace Jake Toeroek 6 56.5kg 7 Spanish Whisper David & Ben Hayes & Tom Dabernig Ethan Brown 15 56.5kg 8 Humma Humma John McArdle Zac Spain 11 56.5kg 9 Embrace Me Danny O’Brien John Allen 17 56.5kg 10 Bella Vella Will Clarken Todd Pannell 13 56.5kg 11 Amberdi Sue Jaensch Paul Gatt 8 56.5kg 12 Everyday Lady Will Clarken Georgina Cartwright 18 56.5kg 13 Street Icon Kevin Corstens Ryan Hurdle 3 56.5kg 14 Beautiful Flyer Mick Kluske Justin Potter 14 56.5kg 15 Lyre Anthony Freedman Damien Thornton 12 55kg 16 Away Game Ciaron Maher & David Eustace Dean Holland 4 47kg 17 Mystery Love (1E) Mick Price & Michael Kent Jnr Zac Spain 7 56.5kg 18 Kenyan Wonder (2E) Ryan Balfour Caitlin Jones 1 56.5kg
2022 Robert Sangster Stakes result
Recent Robert Sangster Stakes winners
- Under a perfectly rated steer from Ethan Brown, Snapdancer ran her rivals into the ground to claim Group 1 glory in the Robert Sangster Stakes. Despite drawing barrier 16, Brown managed to get his mare across to the front of the field where he managed to gain an uncontested lead throughout and when approaching the 300m kicked clear of rivals and simply never looked like getting beaten. The win handed Ethan Brown his first Group 1 win as a jockey.
- On Friday morning, Instant Celebrity was given next to no chance by trainer Phillip Stokes heading into the Group 1 Robert Sangster Stakes. Come Saturday afternoon, filly was a Group 1 winner following an impressive win in the Robert Sangster Stakes at Morphettville. It had been just over 24 hours from when Phillip Stokes was asked if Instant Celebrity was going as good as she was when near unbeatable during the spring, and Stokes replied; “No”. However, on the back of an absolute peach of a steer from Craig Williams, she showed she is one of the star fillies of the 2020/21 racing season when defeating her older rivals in smart fashion.
- Despite goign around as a $41 chance in the Robert Sangster Stakes, Bella Vella never really looked like getting beaten. On the back of a perfectly rated ride from Todd Pannell, the Will Clarken mare was under a stranglehold from Pannell until the 200m mark and provided a kick on her way to Group 1 glory. Despite Lyre absolutely flying home and just missing out on her second Group 1 victory, it was Bella Vella who floored favourite punters.
- It took a perfectly timed ride from star jockey Damien Oliver to help land Spright her sole Group 1 success. Having finished a close second in the William Reid Stakes to Sunlight earlier in the preperation, it was no surprise to see Spright go around as a well back runner in the Robert Sangster Stakes. Spright only had one runner behind him when entering the home straight but absolutely stormed down the middle of the track to take out the Robert Sangster Stakes in fine fashion.
- Despite having three Group 1 victories to her name, Freedman filly Shoals was a double figure outsider coming into the 2018 Robert Sangster. When the race entered the latter stages however the three-year-old presented on the outside and stormed away to win the prize ahead of last year’s winner Secret Agenda and $91 outsider Mia Lil.
- Secret Agenda scored an all-the-way win in 2017. The Mick Price-trained runner scored the turf early from barrier 16 with Damien Oliver in the saddle and it never looked like being beaten. The four-year-old kicked away on the turn to beat off the likes of Sheidel which was left chasing around the home turn. The win continued the good form of the mare after winning well two back.
- In 2016 Precious Gem emerged from midfield in the latter stages of the race to tip out Shiedel. In a race that saw a riderless horse towards the front of the field, Precious Gem was taken to the outside and delivered a withering burst to salute at $21.
- Running in what would be her final-ever race, Miracles Of Life jumped as a $4.50 shot, but was shuffled back in the field as the race went on. Looking like it was a mile off the pace, the little champion battled towards the lead and got the bob of the head when it mattered to finish its racing career in style.
- Prior to an attempt at a Doomben 10,000 crown, Driefontein went to Morphettville harbouring ambitions of group glory in the Robert Sangster Stakes as a $6.50 elect. The horse broke through for its first major racing crown, but sadly never won again.
- After the short-priced salute of Black Caviar the year prior, few knew exactly how to truly rate the 2013 Robert Sangster Stakes, but most would have thought Platelet was not much of a chance as $12 outsider after it jumped well but landed four wide. The gun horse battled on stoutly though and surged to the lead at the 200m and was never troubled.
- Chasing a historic 20th straight win, Black Caviar started as the shortest price favourite in the race’s history, and the gun runner did not let anyone down. Settling just off the speed the mighty mare strode confidently around the horses on the outside at the turn and shot clear to record a sensational four length win.
Robert Sangster Stakes previous winners
|Robert Sangster Stakes Past Winners|
|2022||Snapdancer||Ethan Brown||Ciaron Maher & David Eustace|
|2021||Instant Celebrity||Craig Williams||Phillip Stokes|
|2020||Bella Vella||Todd Pannell||Will Clarken|
|2019||Spright||Damien Oliver||Garry Frazer|
|2018||Shoals||Tim Clark||Anthony Freedman|
|2017||Secret Agenda||Damien Oliver||Mick Price|
|2016||Precious Gem||Jake Noonan||Henry Dwyer|
|2015||Mircales Of Life||Hugh Bowman||Peter & Paul Snowden|
|2014||Driefontein||Vlad Duric||Gai Waterhouse|
|2013||Platelet||Ben Melham||Darren Weir|
|2012||Black Caviar||Luke Nolen||Peter Moody|
|2011||Response||Dwayne Dunn||Mathew Ellerton & Simon Zahra|
|2010||Rostova||Steven King||Steve Richards|
|2009||Bel Mer||Craig Newitt||Mick Price|
|2008||Juste Momente||Stephen Arnold||Danny O’Brien|
|2007||Universal Queen||Corey Brown||Lee Freedman|
|2006||Ellicorsam||Danny Nikolic||Lee Freedman|
|2005||Alinghi||Damien Oliver||Lee Freedman|
|2004||French Bid||Steven Baster||Mick Price|
|2003||Our Egyptian Raine||Catherine Treymane||Grahame Begg|
|2002||Suzy Grey||Paul Gatt||Alan Bailey|
|2001||Umaline||Shane Cahill||John Hall|
|2000||Rain Dance Lady||Fabian Alesci||David Hall|
Robert Sangster Stakes Past Winners Pre 2000
|Robert Sangster Stakes Past Winners Pre 2000|
|1998||Spirit Of Love|
|1989||Tree Of Renown|