Group One Betting Guide
|Date:||Saturday, October 5, 2024|
|Location:||Flemington Racecourse – Melbourne, Victoria|
THE Turnbull Stakes is run in early October and is one of the main races that sets the scene ahead of Melbourne’s spring.
The Turnbull Stakes is considered one of the most important races of the Spring Carnival. It is a major lead-up race into the Caulfield Cup, Cox Plate and Melbourne Cup and past winners of the race have gone on to win the biggest race in Australia.
Makybe Diva, Efficient and Green Moon took out this race en route to Melbourne Cup wins while Winx recorded a win in the race before winning a third-straight Cox Plate.
2024 Turnbull Stakes Odds
Odds for the 2024 Turnbull Stakes are currently unavailable.
Best bookmakers for the Turnbull Stakes
The Turnbull Stakes is one of the key Group 1 races leading into the big three of the Melbourne spring and the bookmakers treat the event with the respect it is due.
Turnbull Stakes odds are up at least a month in advance of the race date and any bookmaker that doesn’t have a market framed by then isn’t worth your cash.
Latest Turnbull Stakes News
Turnbull Stakes race history
The Turnbull Stakes was promoted to Group 1 level after champion mare Makybe Diva won in 2005 — the same year it won the Cox Plate and her third Melbourne Cup.
The 2000m race is for four-year-olds and over at set weights and after being first raced in 1865, there have been plenty of short and long-priced winners.
In 2013, Happy Trails scored an upset win over the Melbourne Cup-bound Fawkner and Puissance De Lune, but there have been many favourites win also.
Horses such as Elvstroem, Northerly, Sunline, Winx, Verry Elleegant and Doriemus have all used the Turnbull Stakes as a stepping stone to bigger wins later in the carnival and punters see this race as a big form guide to those major races.
With such a good form-guide reference, betting in the Turnbull Stakes is vital to making money during the Melbourne Spring Carnival in futures markets and this year’s race promises to provide that once again.
2024 Turnbull Stakes Final Field
HorseBetting will update this page when the 2024 Turnbull Stakes Final Field is released.
Previous Turnbull Stakes Fields
Plenty of Group 1 superstars have won the Turnbull Stakes. Check the previous fields of the Turnbull here.
No. Silks Horse Trainer Jockey Barrier Weight 1 Romantic Warrior Danny Shum James McDonald 11 59kg 2 Gold Trip Ciaron Maher & David Eustace Mark Zahra 18 58kg 3 Smokin’ Romans Ciaron Maher & David Eustace Jamie Mott 17 58kg 4 Francesco Guardi Chris Waller Damian Lane 7 57kg 5 West Wind Blows Simon & Ed Crisford Jamie Spencer 8 56.5kg 6 Emissary Mike Moroney Jamie Kah 5 56kg 7 Osipenko Chris Waller Damien Oliver 6 56kg 8 Uncle Bryn Trent Busuttin & Natalie Young Daniel Moor 1 56kg 9 Berkeley Square Dan O’Sullivan Harry Coffey 14 56kg 10 Bank Maur Richard Laming Craig Newitt 4 56kg 11 Soulcombe Chris Waller Craig Williams 2 56kg 12 Duke De Sessa Ciaron Maher & David Eustace John Allen 12 56kg 13 Spanish Mission Peter Moody & Katherine Coleman Beau Mertens 10 55kg 14 El Bodegon Chris Waller Ben Melham 9 55kg 15 Right You Are Ciaron Maher & David Eustace Dean Yendall 16 56kg 16 Lunar Flare Grahame Begg Michael Dee 15 54kg 17 El Patroness (1E) Danny O’Brien Jye McNeil 3 53kg 18 Goldman (2E) Gai Waterhouse & Adrian Bott Jordan Childs 13 55kg No. Silks Horse Trainer Jockey Barrier Weight 1 Knights Order Gai Waterhouse & Adrian Bott Jordan Childs 14 57.5kg 2 Duais Edward Cummings Joshua Parr 5 57kg 3 Numerian Annabel Neasham John Allen 12 56.5kg 4 Profondo Richard Litt Craig Williams 7 56.5kg 5 Great House Chris Waller Brett Prebble 15 56kg 6 Smokin’ Romans Ciaron Maher & David Eustace Ethan Brown 6 55.5kg 7 Milford Mike Moroney Patrick Moloney 16 55.5kg 8 Inspirational Girl Danny O’Brien Jye McNeil 13 54.5kg 9 Chapada Mike Moroney Daniel Stackhouse 9 54.5kg 10 Alegron James Cummings Damien Oliver 2 54.5kg 11 Young Werther Danny O’Brien Damian Lane 1 54.5kg 12 Gold Trip Ciaron Maher & David Eustace Jamie Kah 10 54.5kg 13 Crystal Pegasus Chris Waller TBC 8 54.5kg 14 Luncies Kris Lees TBC 3 54.5kg 15 Maximal John O’Shea Ben Melham 4 54.5kg 16 Surefire Chris Waller TBC 11 54.5kg 17 Hezashocka (1E) Mick Price & Michael Kent Jnr Daniel Moor 17 54.5kg No. Silks Horse Trainer Jockey Barrier Weight 1 Sir Dragonet Ciaron Maher & David Eustace Ben Allen 10 59kg 2 Explosive Jack Ciaron Maher & David Eustace John Allen 3 58kg 3 Incentivise Peter Moody Brett Prebble 5 57.5kg 4 Verry Elleegant Chris Waller Damian Lane 5 57kg 5 Johnny Get Angry Denis Pagan Lachlan King 2 56.5kg 6 Chapada Michael Moroney Daniel Stackhouse 8 56.5kg 7 Persan Ciaron Maher & David Eustace Luke Currie 1 55.5kg 8 Mister Sea Wolf Chris Waller Brenton Avdulla 4 56kg 9 Mount Popa Michael, Wayne & John Hawkes Fred Kersley 9 54.5kg 10 Young Werther Danny O’Brien Daniel Moor 4 53.5kg No. Silks Horse Trainer Jockey Barrier Weight 1 Vow And Declare Danny O’Brien Damien Oliver 10 57.5kg 2 Kings Will Dream Chris Waller Jye McNeil 8 57.5kg 3 Surprise Baby Paul Preusker Craig Williams 1 57.5kg 4 Warning Anthony & Sam Freedman Billy Egan 7 56.5kg 5 Dalasan Leon Macdonald & Andrew Gluyas Jamie Kah 3 56.5kg 6 Master Of Wine Michael, Wayne & John Hawkes Michael Rodd 4 56.5kg 7 King Of Leogrance Danny O’Brien Damian Lane 14 56.5kg 8 Aktau Michael Moroney Daniel Moor 5 56.5kg 9 Verry Elleegant Chris Waller Mark Zahra 9 55.5kg 10 Oceanex Mick Price & Michael Kent Jnr Dean Yendall 13 55.5kg 11 Harlem Tom Dabernig & Ben Hayes Jamie Mott 11 54.5kg 12 Finche Chris Waller Ben Melham 15 54.5kg 13 Django Freeman Robert Hickmott Luke Nolen 6 54.5kg 14 Superstorm Grant & Alana Williams William Pike 12 53.5kg 15 Toffee Tongue Chris Waller Michael Dee 2 53.5kg
2023 Turnbull Stakes result
Past Turnbull Stakes winners
- The reigning Melbourne Cup champion Gold Trip ($19.00) took out the Group 1 Turnbull Stakes in impressive fashion, destroying a strong field of spring contenders by just under two lengths, after being eased down in the final 50m. After settling towards the rear of the field in the feature event at Flemington, Mark Zahra pushed the button on the son of Outstrip and within a few strides, he had gathered up the field and hit the front with 200m to go. By the 100m mark, Zahra had enough of a lead over West Wind Blows ($7.00) to have a cheeky look over his shoulder, put the whip away and sit up for the photo in splendid isolation. Running on along the rail was Soulcombe ($6.00), who finished third behind West Wind Blows and the race favourite Romantic Warrior ($2.40) ran into fourth at his first start in Australia.
- Having won the Listed Pakenham Cup 10-months earlier, the Ciaron Maher & David Eustace-trained Smokin’ Romans gave his rivals a galloping lesson in the 2022 Turnbull. Having settled up on speed behind Knight’s Order, the progressive stayer managed to put a couple of lengths on his rivals inside the final furlong and never looked like getting run down. Following the win, Smokin Roman’s was wound into a $5 favourite for the Caulfield Cup a fortnight later.
- Former Queensland galloper Incentivise made it back-to-back Group 1 wins at Flemington in the 2021 Turnbull Stakes. Everything seemed to go road for Brett Prebble and the five-year-old Gelding as he found his way to the front of the pack and held all the way to the straight. At the 400m Brett asked him to find another gear which he did without hesitation fending off late sprinter Young Werther to claim his stake as the clear favourite heading into the Melbourne Cup.
- Heading into the 2020 Turnbull Stakes, all eyes were on the Chris Waller-trained Verry Elleegant en route to a crack at the Caulfield Cup. Having his first sit on the legendary mare, Mark Zahra steered Verry Elleegant to yet another Group 1 win. Having settled in the second half of the field Zahra had to begin the mare’s run 800m out from home and as she has shown throughout her career, Verry Elleegant managed to find a way to win, despite the need to sustain a long run. Rank outsider Toffee Tongue and the well supported Finche managed to fill out a Chris Waller-trained trifecta, with just 0.2 lengths seperating the three stablemates.
- After being severly injured during the 2018 Cox Plate, many had Kings Will Dream retired. Instead, he got off his deathbed and produced a performance for the ages when holding out Caulfield Cup favourite Finche to help build up a redemption campaign to run in the 2019 Cox Plate. Kings Will Dream’s successful Turnbull Stakes run win was Jye McNeil’s first Group 1 victory as a jockey.
- The 2018 Turnbull Stakes was all about the wondermare Winx and she duly delivered, just. After getting right back and finding traffic entering the straight a win was looking beyond the mare but those who doubted her looked foolish as Winx found daylight and hit the line like a steam train to record yet another Group 1 win en route to a fourth tilt at the Cox Plate.
- Winx made her Flemington debut in the Turnbull Stakes in one of the most dominating performances in the race’s history. Balancing up nicely at the jump Winx always looked comfortable and once she decided to win, the race was over. The second placed Ventura Storm wasn’t even in the photo on the line, such was the dominance of the mighty mare.
- Hartnell had the unfortunate luck of confronting Winx more often than not over the course of his career but the Godolphin champ made the most of the Winx-less field here. Settling just off the speed under James McDonald, Hartnell was produced at the top of the straight and quickly put away his rivals which included subsequent Caulfield Cup winner Jameka.
- In one of the more spectacular wins you will see in Turnbull Stakes history, Hugh Bowman provided Preferment with an A-Grade ride to take out the race. Coming into the straight the horse was last and looking like an also-ran but under a bustling ride from Bowie the horse kicked it up a gear and began to surge at the 400m. It looked like it could have been too little, too late but the horse found again in the final 100m to topple Royal Descent in the final strides.
- In a wide-open Turnbull Stakes field it was Lucia Valentina who produced enough when the race was on the line. In a three way go heading towards the 200m, Lucia Valentina fought tooth and nail towards the line to get the neck out on the line to win ahead of Brambles and Lidari. Lidari was later disqualified from the race.
- Gun runner Happy Trails recorded his second Group 1 victory in spectacular fashion at Flemington. Almost unsighted coming into the latter stages of the race, Happy Trails found a late split and surged to the line to topple Puissance de Lune and Fawkner in a finish that saw five horses separated at the line by less than a length and a half.
Past Turnbull Stakes winners list
|Turnbull Stakes Past Winners|
|2023||Gold Trip||Mark Zahra||Ciaron Maher & David Eustace|
|2022||Smokin’ Romans||Ethan Brown||Ciaron Maher & David Eustace|
|2021||Incentivise||Brett Prebble||Peter Moody|
|2020||Verry Elleegant||Mark Zahra||Chris Waller|
|2019||Kings Will Dream||Jye McNeil||Chris Waller|
|2018||Winx||Hugh Bowman||Chris Waller|
|2017||Winx||Hugh Bowman||Chris Waller|
|2016||Hartnell||James McDonald||John O’Shea|
|2015||Preferment||Hugh Bowman||Chris Waller|
|2014||Lucia Valentina||Kerrin McEvoy||Kris Lees|
|2013||Happy Trails||Dwayne Dunn||Paul Beshara|
|2012||Green Moon||Craig Williams||Robert Hickmott|
|2011||December Draw||Michael Rodd||Mark Kavanagh|
|2010||Zipping||Nicholas Hall||Robert Hickmott|
|2009||Efficient||Nicholas Hall||John Sadler|
|2008||Littorio||Steven King||Nigel Blackiston|
|2007||Devil Moon||Corey Brown||Mark Kavanagh|
|2006||Syphenophyta||Danny Nikolic||Lee Freedman|
|2005||Makybe Diva||Steven King||Lee Freedman|
|2004||Elvstroem||Nash Rawiller||Tony Vasil|
|2003||Studebaker||Stephen Baster||John Hawkes|
|2002||Northerly||Greg Childs||Fred Kersley|
|2001||Sunline||Greg Childs||Trevor McKee|
|2000||Fairway||Darren Beadman||Jack Denham|
Turnbull Stakes Past Winners Pre 2000
|Turnbull Stakes Past Winners Pre 2000|
|1995||All Our Mob|
|1993||The Phantom Chance|
|1990||Better Loosen Up|
|1872||King Of The Ring|