|Date:||January 11, 2020|
|Location:||Gold Coast Turf Club|
|Prize Money:||$2 Million|
THE Magic Millions 3YO Guineas is one of the richest races in Australia at $2 million and is the joint-featured race of the Magic Millions Carnival on the Gold Coast held in January.
The race is for three-year-old horses over 1400 metres and in order to compete in the Magic Millions, horses must have been purchased from Magic Millions sales held throughout Australia.
The 3YO Guineas was first run in 2001 and since then the past winners have suggested that you don’t need a champion to take home the riches. Winning purchase prices range from $6,500 to $300,000, so punters get a great look at a wide range of thoroughbreds.
Punting on the Magic Millions 3YO Guineas has become increasingly popular and general interest surrounding the race is huge. Punters love following the Order of Entry into the race and with futures markets opening early, punters can secure odds and lock in the value.
2019 Magic Millions 3YO Guineas betting odds
Darren Weir-trained colt Native Solider was the $6 favourite at online bookmaker Sportsbet for the 2019 Magic Millions 3YO Guineas before being scratched.
Last year’s 2YO Classic third place getter is the $2.60 favourite heading into the feature event of the day.
Tips for the 2019 Magic Millions 3YO Guineas
Outback Barbie will be hard to beat in this one. Online bookmaker Sportsbet is offering for $2.60 for last year’s 2YO Classic place getter.
CLICK HERE FOR THE REMAINDER OF HORSE BETTING’S 2019 MAGIC MILLIONS RACE DAY TIPS
Best Magic Millions 3YO Guineas bookmakers
The Magic Millions 3YO is such a popular race that bookmakers open futures and all-in markets months in advance of the January feature.
All of the following bookmakers will have markets for the Magic Millions 3YO Guineas which includes all-in, fixed odds win and fixed odds place betting.
Previous Magic Millions 3YO Guineas fields
THE FIRE TRAP
GRANNY RED SHOES
LIGHT UP THE ROOM
SAY I CEE YOU (3E)
MAGIC FOX (4E)
LANCASTER BOMBER (5E)
No. Silks Horse/Bred Trainer Jockey Barrier Weight Odds 1 Pierata Gregory Hickman C Brown 1 57 $2.60 2 Goodfella Bjorn Baker J Collett 6 56.5 $10 3 Whypeeo Toby Edmonds 16 56.5 $13 4 Curdled Peter Robl J Byrne 4 56.5 $26 5 Saint Patricks Day Chris Munce R Stewart 18 56.5 $71 6 Bel Sonic Jason Warren B Melham 12 56 $17 7 Shogun Sun Kelly Schweida D Browne 10 56 $21 8 Arrestar Matthew Dunn 13 56 $151 9 Wild Heart Team Hawkes B Avdulla 3 56 $13 10 Magnufighter Gary Duncan J Kah 2 56 $71 11 Calculated Chris Waller H Bowman 15 56 $10 12 Pinch Passion Robert Heathcote C Reith 5 56 $301 13 Smartedge P & P Snowden T Angland 17 56 $17 14 Cellargirl Kelly Schweida M Walker 9 54.5 $51 15 Sasso Corbaro Kris Lees D Oliver 14 54 $4.80 16 Lady of Crebilly Phillip Stokes R Bayliss 7 54 $34 17e I Am Impinge Toby Edmonds 11 56 $51 18e Cruze Barry Lockwood 8 56 $101
2018 Magic Millions 3YO Guineas result
Recent Magic Millions 3YO Guineas winners
- In what will live on as the tightest finish in 3YO Guineas finish in history, Boomsara held on bravely from Bondi and Outbark Barbie. Boomsara and Bondi broke away from the field to fight it out, but a late closering Outbark Barbie looked to have the sit on the pair. A photo had to separate the runners, with the long-time leader Boomsara getting the nod.
- The only runner the punters wanted heading into 2018 was Pierata and the colt didn’t let the punters down, even though they were made to sweat heading into the straight. The horse jumped away clean enough from the inside stall but was waiting on an out for the majority of the race, which slowed up Pierata’s progress. The opening eventually came, and despite not hitting his straps instantaneously, Pierata streaked away in the latter stages to record a commanding win.
- It was meant to be the year of Winning Rupert, but three-year-old filly Flying Jess had other plans. The John Moloney-trained runner stormed home to down Global Glamour on the line, paying odds of $101 with some bookmakers. Its form prior to the run wasn’t overly impressive which is why most punters didn’t give it a chance, but the dream came true for its connections which paid only $60,000 for the daughter of Hinchinbrook. Read full report.
- Mahuta continued its fantastic run of form to win the 2016 Magic Millions Guineas. The Darren Weir-trained runner entered the race having won its last four starts in Melbourne which included the Group 3 Carbine Club Stakes and Group 2 Sandown Guineas. Despite that form, punters got a great price of $4.50 for the three-year-old and it never looked in doubt, scoring a one-length win over Single Gaze and Egyptian Symbol. Mahuta was a $35,000 purchase at the 2014 Adelaide Yearling Sale.
- Lloyd Kennewell trained Deiheros to win in 2015 at long odds of $25. The son of Bon Hoffa had mixed form heading into the race with a win at Morphettville followed by a 10th in the Vo Rogue Plate, but it pulled out its biggest career victory on the Gold Coast. Deiheros didn’t run a quick time and it has failed to win a race since, but the $6,500 sales purchase certainly made its connections happy. The well-perforned Testashadow finished in second with Echo Gal in third.
- Gai Waterhouse scored her third Magic Millions 3YO win with Sweet Idea in 2014. The Snitzel filly was an expensive $240,000 purchase from the Gold Coast Yearling Sale, but it was well worth the money as it scored a one-length win over Estonian Princess and Enquare. Sweet Idea has been one of the most successful winners having won the Group 2 Missile Stakes and the Group 1 Galaxy at Rosehill.
- Saluter scored in one of the most exciting finishes in the history of the Guineas. The Jason McLachlan-trained runner scored by a head and a nose over the likes of Sizzling and Driefontein, which would both go on to great careers. The $80,000 purchase paid $15 to win as its form prior was consistent, but not up to the level of its opposition.
- Punch On entered the Magic Millions having won the Vo Rogue Plate two weeks prior. The Peter Balzen-trained runner was an $8 chance for the Millions and it scored a narrow nose victory over Easy Running and Happy Hussy. The 2012 edition was one of the weakest Guineas fields and the quality was shown in Punch On’s career that followed. The daughter of Tiger Hill failed to win in 11 subsequent starts.
Magic Millions 3YO Guineas past winners list
|Year||Magic Millions 3YO Past Winner|
|2008||Heart of the Citi|