Magic Millions 3YO Guineas
|Date:||January 15, 2022|
|Location:||Gold Coast Turf Club|
Boasting a $2,000,000 purse, the Magic Millions 3YO Guineas is one of the richest races in Australia. Alongside the Magic Millions 2YO Classic, it is the joint-featured race of the Magic Millions Carnival held on the Gold Coast each January.
The 1400m race is restricted to three-year-old horses that have been purchased from Magic Millions sales held throughout Australia. These include annual auctions held at the Gold Coast, Adelaide, Perth and Tasmania.
The 3YO Guineas was first run in 2001, and the list of winners since then suggests that you don’t need a champion to take home the riches. Winning purchase prices range from $6,500 to $300,000, so punters get a great look at a wide range of thoroughbreds.
Punting on the Magic Millions 3YO Guineas has become increasingly popular and general interest surrounding the race is huge. With futures markets opening early, punters can secure great odds and lock in the value.
2022 Magic Millions 3YO Guineas Ballot Order as at 2/1/2022
|1||Hitotsu||Ciaron Maher & David Eustace||$1,276,750|
|2||Captivant||Peter & Paul Snowden||$1,083,450|
|3||Jamaea||Rob & Luke Price||$895,115|
|4||Generation||Ciaron Maher & David Eustace||$250,475|
|5||Biscayne Bay||Ciaron Maher & David Eustace||$244,595|
|6||Kalashnikov||Peter & Paul Snowden||$187,000|
|7||Scorched Earth||John Moloney||$428,625|
|8||Crystal Bound||Ciaron Maher & David Eustace||$373,750|
|9||Rhapsody Rose||Chirs Munce||$331,725|
|10||Miss Hipstar||Kelly Schweida||$235,975|
|11||Me Me Lagarde||Toby & Trent Edmonds||$180,200|
|12||Lady Of Honour||Ben & JD Hayes||$179,475|
|13||Fake Love||Ciaron Maher & David Eustace||$152,500|
|14||Bend The Knee||John O’Shea||$136,715|
|15||Glorious Ruby||Bryan Dias||$291,100|
|16||Marine One||Ciaron Maher & David Eustace||$209,150|
|17||King Of Sparta||Peter & Paul Snowden||$191,125|
|18||Shihonka||Gai Waterhouse & Adrian Bott||$177,040|
|20||Release The Beans||Robert Heathcote||$161,500|
|21||Far Too Easy||David McColm||$160,300|
|22||Invisible Tears||Gillian Heinrich||$152,350|
|23||Sunfall||Mick Price & Michael Kent Jnr||$148,200|
|26||Construct||Peter & Paul Snowden||$122,040|
|27||Authentic Jewel||Brad Widdup||$120,655|
|29||I Am Lethal||John O’Shea||$118,050|
Tips for the 2022 Magic Millions 3YO Guineas
Click here for our full runner by runner preview of the 2022 Magic Millions 3YO Guineas.
Best Magic Millions 3YO Guineas bookmakers
The Magic Millions 3YO is such a popular race that online bookmakers open futures and all-in markets months in advance of the January feature.
All of the following bookmakers will have markets for the Magic Millions 3YO Guineas which includes all-in, fixed-odds win and fixed-odds place betting.
Previous Magic Millions 3YO Guineas fields
No. Horse/Bred Trainer Jockey Barrier Weight 1 Bend The Knee John O’Shea Kerrin McEvoy 20 56.5 2 Jamaea Robert & Luke Price Tommy Berry 8 56 3 King Of Sparta Peter & Paul Snowden Nash Rawiller 13 56 4 Release The Beans Rob Heathcote Brett Prebble 14 56 5 Far Too Easy David Mccolm Craig Williams 15 56 6 Starman Chris Waller James McDonald 7 56 7 Construct Peter & Paul Snowden Jim Byrne 6 56 8 I Am Lethal John O’Shea Hugh Bowman 21 56 9 Rhapsody Rose Chris Munce Ben Thompson 12 54.5 10 Miss Hipstar Kelly Schweida Larry Cassidy 4 54.5 11 Me Me Lagarde Toby & Trent Edmonds Robbie Fradd 23 54.5 12 Glorious Ruby Bryan Dais Andrew Mallyon 3 54 13 Shihonka Gai Waterhouse & Adrian Bott Tim Clark 9 54 14 Indiscreetly Danny Bougoure Georgina Cartwright 18 54 15 Mishani Enchanted Les Ross N/A 22 54 16 Ruby Kisses Gerald Ryan & Sterling Alexiou Brock Ryan 17 54 17 Dovetail Diva John Symons & Sheila Laxon Stephanie Thornton 16 54 18 Socialist Ciaron Maher & David Eustace Jason Collett 1 54 19e Snitzonfire Ryan Maloney Gai Waterhouse & Adrian Bott 2 56 20e Alert And Ready Kevin Kemp TBC 10 54 21e Mishani Scandal Les Ross TBC 19 56 22e Sutto’s Gal Kevin Kemp TBC 5 54 23e Our Hot Friend Les Ross TBC 11 56 No. Horse/Bred Trainer Jockey Barrier Weight 1 Apache Chase Desleigh Forster Taylor Marshall 1 57 2 Our Playboy Mick Price & Michael Kent Jnr Michael Dee 13 57 3 Away Game Ciaron Maher & David Eustace Glen Boss 3 56 4 Yes Baby Yes Leon & Troy Corstens Craig Williams 16 56 5 Amish Boy Ciaron Maher & David Eustace Hugh Bowman 17 56 6 Shooting For Gold Steven O’Dea & Matthew Hoysted Ben Thompson 20 56 7 Kavak Chris Munce Nash Rawiller 6 56 8 Aim Peter & Paul Snowden James McDonald 18 56 9 Safework Scott Morrisey Mark Du Plessis 10 56 10 Magic Conqueror Kelly Schweida Larry Cassidy 8 56 11 Mishani Fraudster Les Ross Michael Cahill 5 56 12 Forbidden Love Richard & Michael Freedman Jim Byrne 4 54.5 13 Isotope Tony Gollan Ryan Maloney 7 54.5 14 Smart ‘N’ Sexy Toby & Trent Edmonds Robbie Fradd 19 54.5 15 Gotta Kiss Steven O’Dea & Matthew Hoysted Stephanie Thornton 9 55 16 Lady Banff Matthew Dunn Michael Cahill 21 55 17e Redoute’s Image Kris Lees Brenton Avdulla 14 54 18e Starosa Tony Gollan Brenton Avdulla 11 54 19e Boomnova Chris Munce 15 54 20e Ellsberg Gerald Ryan & Sterling Alexiou 12 56 21e Oscar Zulu Chris Waller 2 56
KING OF HASTINGS
OH FIVE GLORY
IT’S KIND OF MAGIC
LET IT POUR (1E)
GALA MISS (2E)
BELLS APPROACHING (5E)
No. Horse/Bred Trainer Jockey Barrier Weight 1 Boomsara Chris Munce Damian Browne 18 57 2 Paquirri Gary Moore Jim Byrne 20 57 3 Bondi Peter & Paul Snowden Kerrin McEvoy 16 56 4 The Fire Trap Matthew Dunn Hugh Bowman 8 56 5 Star Fall Ciaron Maher & David Eustace Linda Meech 17 56 6 Ljungberg Ron Quinton NA 6 56 7 Smart Elissim David & Ben Hayes & Tom Dabernig Michael Walker 10 56 8 Outback Barbie Tony Gollan James McDonald 3 54.5 9 Granny Red Shoes Toby Edmonds Brett Prebble 13 54.5 10 Persuader Mick Price Brenton Avdulla 12 54.5 11 Zizzis Patrick Payne Michael Cahill 6 54 12 Plumaro Kevin Kemp Luke Tarrant 19 54 13 Light Up The Room Tony Gollan Brad Stewart 9 54 14 Malahide Michael Costa Scott Galloway 4 54 15 Sugar Sizzle Angela Plumb Jag Guthmann-Chester 21 54 16 Barefoot Tony Sears Mark Du Plessis 1 54 17e Unconditional Michael Nolan Jeff Lloyd 14 54 18e Doss Barry Lockwood 4 56 19e Say I Cee You Liam Birchley Dale Smith 7 56 20e Magic Fox Kelly Schweida 15 56 21e Lancaster Bomber Richard Litt 5 56 No. Silks Horse/Bred Trainer Jockey Barrier Weight Odds 1 Pierata Gregory Hickman C Brown 1 57 $2.60 2 Goodfella Bjorn Baker J Collett 6 56.5 $10 3 Whypeeo Toby Edmonds 16 56.5 $13 4 Curdled Peter Robl J Byrne 4 56.5 $26 5 Saint Patricks Day Chris Munce R Stewart 18 56.5 $71 6 Bel Sonic Jason Warren B Melham 12 56 $17 7 Shogun Sun Kelly Schweida D Browne 10 56 $21 8 Arrestar Matthew Dunn 13 56 $151 9 Wild Heart Team Hawkes B Avdulla 3 56 $13 10 Magnufighter Gary Duncan J Kah 2 56 $71 11 Calculated Chris Waller H Bowman 15 56 $10 12 Pinch Passion Robert Heathcote C Reith 5 56 $301 13 Smartedge P & P Snowden T Angland 17 56 $17 14 Cellargirl Kelly Schweida M Walker 9 54.5 $51 15 Sasso Corbaro Kris Lees D Oliver 14 54 $4.80 16 Lady of Crebilly Phillip Stokes R Bayliss 7 54 $34 17e I Am Impinge Toby Edmonds 11 56 $51 18e Cruze Barry Lockwood 8 56 $101
2021 Magic Millions 3YO Guineas result
Recent Magic Millions 3YO Guineas winners
- Having claimed the race 12 months prior with Aim, the Peter & Paul Snowden yard managed to claim the race for a second straight year, this time with King Of Sparta. The three-year-old gelding managed to sustain a long run from the rear of the field under Nash Rawiller and once he hit the front inside the final furlong, no one was ever going to catch him. It was the first time since Gai Waterhouse in 2002-03, that a trainer or in this case training partnership had managed to take the race two years in a row.
- Not many were giving the Peter & Paul Snowden-trained Aim a chance in the 3YO Guineas, but the son of Star Witness blew his rivals away with a stunning turn of foot. However, for the second year in a row the result was marred by controversy when race favourite Isotope dislodged her jockey approaching the home turn. However, under an absolute peach from James McDonald, it was Aim who took home the chocolates despite settling close to last in the big field.
- The 2020 Magic Millions 3YO Guineas will live on in the minds of many for a couple of reasons. Alligator Blood was a dominant victor when proving far too classy for the Guineas field as many predicted he would when jumping as a $1.80 favourite. However, months later Alligator Blood was disqualified after returning a positive swab to Altrenogest. It meant that the runner up on the day Eleven Eleven was elevated to being the 2020 Magic Millions 3YO Guineas winner.
- In what will live on as the tightest finish in 3YO Guineas finish in history, Boomsara held on bravely from Bondi and Outbark Barbie. Boomsara and Bondi broke away from the field to fight it out, but a late closing Outbark Barbie looked to have the sit on the pair. A photo had to separate the runners, with the long-time leader Boomsara getting the nod.
- The only runner the punters wanted heading into 2018 was Pierata and the colt didn’t let the punters down, even though they were made to sweat heading into the straight. The horse jumped away clean enough from the inside stall but was waiting on an out for the majority of the race, which slowed up Pierata’s progress. The opening eventually came, and despite not hitting his straps instantaneously, Pierata streaked away in the latter stages to record a commanding win.
- It was meant to be the year of Winning Rupert, but three-year-old filly Flying Jess had other plans. The John Moloney-trained runner stormed home to down Global Glamour on the line, paying odds of $101 with some bookmakers. Its form prior to the run wasn’t overly impressive which is why most punters didn’t give it a chance, but the dream came true for its connections which paid only $60,000 for the daughter of Hinchinbrook. Read full report.
- Mahuta continued its fantastic run of form to win the 2016 Magic Millions Guineas. The Darren Weir-trained runner entered the race having won its last four starts in Melbourne which included the Group 3 Carbine Club Stakes and Group 2 Sandown Guineas. Despite that form, punters got a great price of $4.50 for the three-year-old and it never looked in doubt, scoring a one-length win over Single Gaze and Egyptian Symbol. Mahuta was a $35,000 purchase at the 2014 Adelaide Yearling Sale.
- Lloyd Kennewell trained Deiheros to win in 2015 at long odds of $25. The son of Bon Hoffa had mixed form heading into the race with a win at Morphettville followed by a 10th in the Vo Rogue Plate, but it pulled out its biggest career victory on the Gold Coast. Deiheros didn’t run a quick time and it has failed to win a race since, but the $6,500 sales purchase certainly made its connections happy. The well-perforned Testashadow finished in second with Echo Gal in third.
- Gai Waterhouse scored her third Magic Millions 3YO win with Sweet Idea in 2014. The Snitzel filly was an expensive $240,000 purchase from the Gold Coast Yearling Sale, but it was well worth the money as it scored a one-length win over Estonian Princess and Enquare. Sweet Idea has been one of the most successful winners having won the Group 2 Missile Stakes and the Group 1 Galaxy at Rosehill.
- Saluter scored in one of the most exciting finishes in the history of the Guineas. The Jason McLachlan-trained runner scored by a head and a nose over the likes of Sizzling and Driefontein, which would both go on to great careers. The $80,000 purchase paid $15 to win as its form prior was consistent, but not up to the level of its opposition.
- Punch On entered the Magic Millions having won the Vo Rogue Plate two weeks prior. The Peter Balzen-trained runner was an $8 chance for the Millions and it scored a narrow nose victory over Easy Running and Happy Hussy. The 2012 edition was one of the weakest Guineas fields and the quality was shown in Punch On’s career that followed. The daughter of Tiger Hill failed to win in 11 subsequent starts.
Magic Millions news
Magic Millions 3YO Guineas past winners list
|Magic Millions 3YO Guineas StakesPast Winners|
|2021||King Of Sparta||Nash Rawiller||Peter & Paul Snowden|
|2021||Aim||James McDonald||Peter & Paul Snowden|
|2020||Eleven Eleven||Keagan Latham||Gregory Hickman|
|2019||Boomsara||Tim Clark||Chris Munce|
|2018||Pierata||Corey Brown||Gregory Hickman|
|2017||Flying Jess||Tye Angland||John Moloney|
|2016||Mahuta||Brad Rawiller||Darren Weir|
|2015||Deiheros||Ric McMahon||Lloyd Kennewell|
|2014||Sweet Idea||James McDonald||Gai Waterhouse|
|2013||Saluter||Damian Browne||Jason McLachlan|
|2012||Punch On||Paul Hammersley||Peter Balzen|
|2011||Torio’s Quest||Hugh Bowman||Brett Partelle|
|2010||Graceful Anna||Peter Robl||David Pfieffer|
|2009||Tempest Tost||Darren Gauci||Gary White|
|2008||Heart Of The Citi||Brad Pengelly||Pat Duff|
|2007||Gold Edition||Darren Beadman||Ricky Maund|
|2006||Tereschenko||Craig Newitt||Peter Moody|
|2005||Tippitaka||Corey Brown||Tony McEvoy|
|2004||Jamieson Valley||Darren Beadman||John Hawkes|
|2003||Biaggio||Scott Galloway||Gai Waterhouse|
|2002||Ha Ha||Jim Cassidy||Gai Waterhouse|
|2001||Paradiddle||Brett Prebble||Dean Lawson|