Magic Millions 2YO Classic
Group One Betting Guide
|Date:||January 16, 2021|
|Location:||Gold Coast Turf Club|
Betting on the Magic Millions 2YO classic begins about mid-year and continues until the race jumps in mid-January. The Classic 2YO race is part of the Magic Millions Carnival and features the best horses bought at the previous years sales on the Gold Coast. Our guide to Magic Millions 2YO betting, includes free tips, race history, top Aussie bookies for the Magic Millions Carnival and how the qualification works for the race.
Magic Millions Qualification
THE Magic Millions 2YO Classic is open to any thoroughbred purchased at the Magic Millions Sales throughout Australia and it’s the second richest two-year-old race in Australia, behind only the Golden Slipper.
Worth $2 million, the Magic Millions 2YO Classic is run over 1200m and it is the premier race during the Magic Millions Carnival at the Gold Coast Turf Club in January.
In 2016 the Magic Millions Raceday became Australia’s first $10 million meeting with seven of the nine races worth $1 million or more.
The 2YO Classic is the feature race of the carnival as it highlights some of the best juveniles in Australia and past winners which includes Sunlight, Capitalist, Driefontein, Dance Hero and Testa Rossa, it’s a must-watch race which punters love betting on.
2021 Magic Millions Ballot Order as at 03/01/2021
|1||ALPINE EDGE||Toby & Trent Edmonds||$217,500|
|2||READILY AVAILABULL||John Sargent||$139,700|
|3||FAKE LOVE||Ciaron Maher & David Eustace||$137,000|
|4||FINANCE TYCOON||Tom Dabernig & Ben Hayes||$130,300|
|5||MURA MURA||Peter & Paul Snowden||$125,550|
|6||SHE’S ALL CLASS||Chris Waller||$123,550|
|7||CAPTIVANT||Peter & Paul Snowden||$102,500|
|10||BABY WONG||Stephen Jones||$84,500|
|11||YOU’LL BE MIST||Daryl Hansen||$81,700|
|12||MISHANI SCANDAL||Les Ross||$62,350|
|13||QUEEN OF WIZARDRY||Annabel Neasham||$61,000|
|14||MISS HIPSTAR||Kelly Schweida||$59,500|
|15||RHAPSODY ROSE||Chris Munce||$58,450|
|16||PRINCESS BOJACK||Michael Nolan||$46,825|
|17||GOLDEN EIGHTY||Bryan & Daniel Guy||$45,575|
|18||TRUE MOONLIGHT||Gillian Heinrich||$44,575|
|19||GLENEAGLES||Trent Bussuttin & Natalie Young||$39,750|
|20||RANCH HAND||Chris Waller||$32,775|
|21||RUBY KISSES||Gary & John Moore||$32,500|
|22||ASTROLOGER||Peter & Paul Snowden||$31,950|
|23||WIN BURN||Stuart Kendrick||$29,500|
|24||CONSTRUCT||Peter & Paul Snowden||$29,400|
|25||RAMBEAU||Trent Busuttin & Natalie Young||$28,750|
|26||COCHRANE||Peter & Paul Snowden||$26,000|
|28||MISHANI ENCHANTED||Les Ross||$25,200|
2021 Magic Millions 2YO Classic betting odds
Having bolted in the Wyong Magic Millions, She’s All Class is a currently the favourite for the 2021 Magic Millions 2YO Classic with odds of $4.00 available for the Chris Waller trained filly
On the second line of betting for the Magic Millions 2YO Classic is Alpine Edge who has had two runs prior to the Magic Millions where he managed to get the job done in the Listed Phelan Ready and Group 3 BJ McLachlan at Eagle Farm in December. Punters can get odds of $6.00 if they think the Edmonds trained colt can remain undefeated.
The likes of Ranch Hand, Baby Wong & Fake Love are all the other runners in single figures, and we expect the Magic Millions 2YO Classic in 2021 to be as competitive as ever.
Magic Millions 2YO Classic betting tips
It doesn’t take an expensive thoroughbred to win the 2YO Classic. Only two winners have been purchased for more than $200,000 so when you’re looking for a runner to select, it pays to stay away from the highly-priced runners.
The Magic Millions 2YO is a race for a speedy two-year-old which is likely to lose its pace when it matures. Only a handful of Magic Millions 2YO winners have gone onto bigger and better things, so stick with the runners which have natural sprinting speed and are being targetted for the race.
Favourites have had a good record in recent history and punters usually get it right. The big field usually makes it easier for the favoured runners and taking a banker trifecta with the favourite is a good way to play the race.
Look for the trainers which have had success on the Gold Coast and with juveniles. They know how to set their runners for a specific race – like Gai Waterhouse who has a great record in the race.
Magic Millions 2YO Classic betting tips
Make Sure to come check out who the team at Horsebetting are backing in the Magic Millions 2YO Classic closer to the race date. .
Best Magic Millions 2YO Classic bookmakers
All of the bookmakers listed below offer betting on the Magic Millions 2YO Classic which includes futures, all-in and fixed odds markets.
Due to the popularity of betting on the Magic Millions Carnival, bookmakers frame markets as early as possible which is often months in advance.
When searching for an early Magic Millions market, it’s common that the bookmakers will list horses by their breeding as they haven’t been officially named yet.
Previous Magic Millions 2YO fields
WISDOM OF WATER
SMART ‘N’ SEXY
WAY BEYOND (2E)
THE DRINKS CART(3E)
COSMIC GOSSIP (4E)
UNITE AND CONQUER
YES YES YES
GIRLS ARE READY
OH FIVE GLORY
GALA MISS (1E)
No. Silks Horse/Bred Trainer Jockey Barrier Weight Odds 1 Jonker David Atkins 3 57 $4.80 2 Ef Troop Tony Gollan M McGillivray 18 57 $4 3 Quackerjack Mark Newnham K Jennings 19 57 $31 4 Legislation P & P Snowden D Browne 7 57 $31 5 Fullazaboot Stuart Kendrick T Angland 21 57 $34 6 Crockett Tony McEvoy J Kah 10 57 $34 7 Bondi P & P Snowden B Shinn 20 57 $13 8 Skyray Clarry Connors J Collett 8 57 $61 9 Meryl Lee Curtis C Reith 5 55 $17 10 Secret Lady Gary Portelli B Melham 11 55 $19 11 Sunlight Tony McEvoy L Currie 15 55 $3.80 12 Nomothaj Hayes & Dabernig S Baster 2 55 $10 13 Outback Barbie Tony Gollan J Byrne 6 55 $34 14 Anthemoessa Matt Cumani J Childs 4 55 $41 15 Witherspoon Brad Widdup C Brown 12 55 $26 16 Whiskey Shooter Waterhouse & Bott T Clark 9 55 $51 17e Paquirri Gary Moore 17 57 $101 18e Terminology Waterhouse & Bott 14 55 $51 19e Spirit’s Pride Michael Nolan 1 57 $201 20e Sugar Sizzle Angela Plumb R Plumb 16 55 $251 21e Catastrophic Chris Munce 13 57 $101
2020 Magic Millions 2YO Classic result
Recent Magic Millions 2YO Classic winners
- The Maher & Eustace stable produced a surprise in the Magic Millions 2YO Classic when bolting in the $2 million feature on the Gold Coast despite going around at $41. The filly was caught wide in the running, but still had plenty left in the tank when asked for an effort by Luke Currie to kick away and win by nearly two lengths on the line.
- There was plenty of buzz around Godolphin runner Exhilarates coming into a wide-open 2YO Classic and the horse in blue delivered. Under a brilliantly timed run from Kerrin McEvoy, the $600,000 purchase pounced late down the outside to run away with the Classic victory.
- The 2018 edition of the Magic Millions 2YO Classic was all about Sunlight and the Tony McEvoy runner didn’t disappoint. After jumping cleanly the filly trailed the leader Ef Troop throughout the entire race and when she decided to end the race, it ended. Entering the 400m mark Sunlight streaked away and recorded a comfortable and decisive victory.
- Many punters were turned off by the wide barrier draw, but the Toby Edmonds-trained Houtzen had electric barrier speed from barrier 16 as it held off the fast finishing Chauffeur. Houtzen was unbeaten coming into the race and it kept that streak alive by running straight to the front before coming wide and putting multiple lengths on the field. The challenge came late from Chauffeur, but Houtzen had too big of a break. Read full report.
- Capitalist was one of the shortest-priced winners in 2YO Classic history when it won paying $1.40. The Peter and Paul Snowden-trained colt had superior form leading into the race and that proved good enough to win by 2.5 lengths over locals Nikitas and Candika. Blake Shinn was aboard the two-year-old which would later win the 2016 Golden Slipper at Rosehill.
- Trainer Darryl Hansen scored his biggest training success when Le Chef won in 2015. The Exceed And Excel gelding was ridden by apprentice jockey Luke Tarrant, his biggest career success, and it paid $14.70 for the win. The Sunshine Coast-based gelding was able to defeat short-favourite Wicked Intent and Pepperano which finished second at odds of $11.90 to place. Le Chef didn’t continue to have a stellar career, but the $2 million purse made up for that.
- Unencumbered will long remain as one of the most popular 2YO Classic winners as it put the now recently-passed jockey Nathan Berry on the map. The Bjorn Baker-trained colt was the $3.20 favourite and it held off the talented Oakleigh Girl. The win secured Berry’s position as one of Australia’s better up-and-coming riders and brother Tommy was on course to congratulate him.
- Real Surreal was a large-framed filly which used a superior turn-of-foot to down Sweet Idea on the line. The Kelso Wood-trained daughter of Real Saga was best known on rain-affected tracks, but it proved too strong on a good surface to win at odds of $5.50. It was another Magic Millions 2YO Classic winner which didn’t continue on with it, but there were a couple of quality thoroughbreds in behind it.
- Gai Waterhouse scored yet another 2YO major when Driefontein won in 2012. The Fastnet Rock filly finished second in the race, but it was determined by stewards that stablemate No Looking Back caused interference. Either way, Waterhouse was happy with the result, as were punters which took the $3.60 on offer for Driefontein. It is often remembered for the protest, but the filly was a classy thoroughbred which continued to win races at a high level.
Past Magic Millions 2YO Classic winners
|Year||Magic Millions 2YO Past Winner|