Magic Millions 2YO Classic
|Date:||Saturday, January 15, 2022|
|Location:||Gold Coast Turf Club|
Betting on the Magic Millions 2YO Classic begins about mid-year and continues until the race jumps in mid-January. The $2 million race is part of the Magic Millions Carnival and features the best horses bought at the previous year’s sales on the Gold Coast. Our guide to Magic Millions 2YO betting includes free tips, race history, top Aussie bookies for the Magic Millions Carnival and how qualification works for the race.
Magic Millions Qualification
The Magic Millions 2YO Classic is open to any thoroughbred purchased at the Magic Millions Sales throughout Australia. It is the second richest two-year-old race in Australia, behind only the Golden Slipper Stakes.
Run over 1200m at set weights, the 2YO Classic is the premier race during the Magic Millions Carnival at the Gold Coast Turf Club in January each year.
In 2016 the Magic Millions Raceday became Australia’s first $10 million meeting, with seven of the nine races worth $1 million or more.
The 2YO Classic highlights some of the best juveniles in Australia. Past winners include Sunlight, Capitalist, Driefontein, Dance Hero and Testa Rossa.
2022 Magic Millions 2YO Classic ballot order (as at 9/1/2022)
|1||Coolangatta||Ciaron Maher & David Eustace||$229,000|
|2||Cusack||Trent Busuttin & Natalie Young||$139,700|
|3||Palazzo Spirit||Steven O’Dea & Matthew Hoysted||$139,525|
|4||Soaring Ambition||Annabel Neasham||$132,050|
|5||Mishani Warfare||Les Ross||$129,550|
|6||Russian Conquest||Peter & Paul Snowden||$124,500|
|7||Miss Hellfire||Peter & Paul Snowden||$109,250|
|9||Mishani Spartan||Les Ross||$87,500|
|10||Golden Artie||Bryan & Daniel Guy||$85,000|
|11||Sneaky Starter||Mick Mair||$78,900|
|12||Mishani Persuasion||Les Ross||$73,650|
|14=||Philosopher||Anthony & Sam Freedman||$71,500|
|14=||Latizia||Ciaron Maher & David Eustace||$71,500|
|16||Perfect Mission||Michael Costa||$71,350|
|17||Heroic Son||Peter & Will Hulbert||$63,375|
|19||Bright Blue Sky||Jamie Richards||$50,177|
|20||Uncorked||Gai Waterhouse & Adrian Bott||$49,875|
|21||Cover Star||Matt Cumani||$47,600|
|22||Minks Star||Chris Anderson||$47,300|
|23||Rose Of Shiraz||Gillian Heinrich||$44,650|
|24||Menari Magic||Paul Butterworth||$42,700|
|25||Hard To Say||Jason Dreamer||$38,600|
|26||Swiss Exile||Annabel Neasham||$37,325|
|27||Wealthly Investor||Damien Lane||$36,500|
|28||Celtic Vader||Richard & Chantelle Jolly||$36,375|
|29||Floral Oasis||Kacy Fogden||$33,100|
|30||Out Of Aflica||Will Clarken||$31,950|
2022 Magic Millions 2YO Classic Final Field
|1||Cusack||Trent Busuttin & Natalie Young||Craig Newitt||6||57|
|2||Mishani Warfare||Les Ross||James Orman||7||57|
|3||Stupendo||Danny O’Brien||Craig Williams||19||57|
|4||Mishani Spartan||Les Ross||Jackson Morris||3||57|
|5||Golden Artie||Bryan & Daniel Guy||Ben Thompson||17||57|
|6||Mishani Persuasion||Les Ross||Rachel King||21||57|
|7||Thelwell||Sharryn Livingstone||Justin Stanley||5||57|
|8||Heroic Son||Peter & Will Hulbert||Adin Thompson||9||57|
|9||Coolangatta||Ciaron Maher & David Eustace||James McDonald||13||55|
|10||Soaring Ambition||Annabel Neasham||Tommy Berry||20||55|
|11||Russian Conquest||Peter & Paul Snowden||Kerrin McEvoy||4||55|
|12||Miss Hellfire||Peter & Paul Snowden||Tim Clark||11||55|
|13||Sneaky Starter||Mick Mair||Tiffani Brooker||10||55|
|14||Perfect Mission||Michael Costa||Andrew Mallyon||14||55|
|15||Snitcat||Gary Portelli||Jason Collett||2||55|
|16||Bright Blue Sky||Jamie Richards||Brett Prebble||16||55|
|17e||Swiss Exile||Annabel Neasham||Hugh Bowman||1||57|
|18e||Spanish Angels||Les Ross||TBC||18||55|
|19e||Revolutionary Miss||Peter & Paul Snowden||TBC||8||55|
|20e||Wild Botanica||Kacy Fogden||TBC||15||55|
|21e||Russian Warrior||Allan Chau||TBC||12||55|
2022 Magic Millions 2YO Classic betting odds
Having smashed his rivals on debut in the Gimcrack Stakes and then again in the BJ McLachlan Stakes, the Ciaron Maher & David Eustace-trained Coolangatta is a dominant $1.80 favourite to claim the 2YO Classic.
Russian Conquest & Soaring Ambition are the only other runners at a single figure quote, with $8 & $9 available respectively.
Best Magic Millions 2YO Classic bookmakers
All of the trusted betting sites listed below offer markets on the Magic Millions 2YO Classic, including futures, all-in and fixed-odds options.
Due to the popularity of betting on the Magic Millions Carnival, bookmakers frame markets as early as possible which is often months in advance.
When searching for an early Magic Millions market, it’s common that the bookmakers will list horses by their breeding as they haven’t been officially named yet.
Magic Millions 2YO Classic betting tips
It doesn’t take an expensive thoroughbred to win the 2YO Classic. Only two winners have been purchased for more than $200,000, so when you’re looking for a runner to select, it pays to stay away from big price-tags.
This a race for a speedy two-year-old which is likely to lose its pace when it matures. Only a handful of Magic Millions 2YO Classic winners have gone onto bigger and better things, so stick with the runners which have natural sprinting speed and are being targetted for the race.
Favourites have had a good record in recent history. The big field usually makes it easier for the favoured runners, and taking a banker trifecta with the market elect is a good way to play the race.
Look for the trainers which have had success on the Gold Coast and with juveniles. They know how to set their runners for a specific race – like Gai Waterhouse, who has a great record in the Magic Millions.
Check out our runner by runner preview for the 2022 Magic Millions 2YO Classic here.
Previous Magic Millions 2YO fields
No. Horse/Bred Trainer Jockey Barrier Weight 1 Alpine Edge Toby & Trent Edmonds Robbie Fradd 9 57 2 Finance Tycoon Tom Dabernig & Ben Hayes Luke Nolen 21 57 3 Readily Availabull John Sargent Michael Dee 7 57 4 Shaquero Chris Waller Hugh Bowman 1 57 5 Ghostwriter Annabel Neasham Luke Currie 12 57 6 Baby Wong Stephen Jones Nash Rawiller 6 57 7 Mishani Scandal Les Ross Michael Rodd 17 57 8 Rambeau Trent Busuttin & Natalie Young Craig Williams 10 57 9 Fake Love Ciaron Maher & David Eustace Glen Boss 20 55 10 Mura Mura Peter & Paul Snowden John Allen 8 55 11 She’s All Class Chris Waller James McDonald 18 55 12 Swift Witness Gai Waterhouse & Adrian Bott Brenton Avdulla 11 55 13 You’ll Be Mist Darryl Hansen Jim Byrne 14 55 14 Miss Hipstar Kelly Schweida Larry Cassidy 19 55 15 Queen Of Wizardry Annabel Neasham Stephanie Thornton 15 55 16 Princess Bojack Michael Nolan Michael Cahill 5 55 17e Ranch Hand Chris Waller Glen Boss 3 55 18e Ruby Kisses Gary & John Moore Matthew McGillivray 4 55 19e Mishani Enchanted Lee Ross 16 55 20e Win Burn Stuart Kendrick 13 57 21e Glorious Ruby Bryan Dais 2 55 No. Horse/Bred Trainer Jockey Barrier Weight 1 King’s Legacy Peter & Paul Snowden Kerrin McEvoy 8 57 2 Farnan Gai Waterhouse & Adrian Bott Tim Clark 5 57 3 Rathlin Ciaron Maher & David Eustace Mark Zahra 19 57 4 Conceited James Cummings Damian Lane 17 57 5 Aim Peter & Paul Snowden Tommy Berry 2 57 6 Wisdom Of Water Toby & Trent Edmonds Robbie Fradd 7 57 7 Nitrous Peter & Paul Snowden Hugh Bowman 11 57 8 Kavak Chris Munce Nash Rawiller 1 57 9 Euphoric Summer Mick Price & Michael Kent Jr Damien Oliver 6 55 10 Every Rose Mark Newnham Joshua Parr 9 55 11 Gotta Kiss Steven O’Dea Stephanie Thornton 4 55 12 Dusty Tycoon Robert Heathcote Dale Smith 15 55 13 Lady Banff Matthew Dunn James McDonald 12 55 14 Away Game Ciaron Maher & David Eustace Luke Currie 14 55 15 Stellar Pauline Peter & Paul Snowden Brenton Avdulla 13 55 16 Smart ‘N’ Sexy Toby & Trent Edmonds Matthew McGillivray 5 55 17e Bribery Tony & Calvin McEvoy 10 55 18e Way Beyond Stuart Kendrick 21 57 19e The Drinks Cart Toby & Trent Edmonds 16 57 20e Cosmic Gossip Stuart Kendrick 18 55 21e Poupee Stuart Kendrick 3 55 No. Horse/Bred Trainer Jockey Barrier Weight 1 Jonker David Atkins Hugh Bowman 3 57 2 Ef Troop Tony Gollan Matthew McGillivray 18 57 3 Quackerjack Mark Newnham Koby Jennings 19 57 4 Legislation Peter & Paul Snowden Damian Browne 7 57 5 Fullazaboot Stuart Kendrick Tye Angland 21 57 6 Crockett Tony McEvoy Jamie Kah 10 57 7 Bondi Peter & Paul Snowden Blake Shinn 20 57 8 Skyray Clarry Conners Jason Collett 8 57 9 Meryl Lee Curtis Christian Reith 5 55 10 Secret Lady Gary Portelli Ben Melham 11 55 11 Sunlight Tony McEvoy Luke Currie 15 55 12 Nomothaj Davd & Ben Hayes & Tom Dabernig Stephen Baster 2 55 13 Outback Barbie Tony Gollan Jim Byrne 12 55 14 Anthemoessa Matt Cumani Jordan Childs 4 55 15 Witherspoon Brad Widdup Corey Brown 12 55 16 Whiskey Shooter Gai Waterhouse & Adrian Bott Tim Clark 9 55 17e Paquirri Gary Moore 17 57 18e Terminology Gai Waterhouse & Adrian Bott 14 55 19e Spirit’s Pride Michael Nolan 1 57 20e Sugar Sizzle Angela Plumb 16 55 21e Catastrophic Chris Munce 13 57 No. Silks Horse/Bred Trainer Jockey Barrier Weight Odds 1 Jonker David Atkins 3 57 $4.80 2 Ef Troop Tony Gollan M McGillivray 18 57 $4 3 Quackerjack Mark Newnham K Jennings 19 57 $31 4 Legislation P & P Snowden D Browne 7 57 $31 5 Fullazaboot Stuart Kendrick T Angland 21 57 $34 6 Crockett Tony McEvoy J Kah 10 57 $34 7 Bondi P & P Snowden B Shinn 20 57 $13 8 Skyray Clarry Connors J Collett 8 57 $61 9 Meryl Lee Curtis C Reith 5 55 $17 10 Secret Lady Gary Portelli B Melham 11 55 $19 11 Sunlight Tony McEvoy L Currie 15 55 $3.80 12 Nomothaj Hayes & Dabernig S Baster 2 55 $10 13 Outback Barbie Tony Gollan J Byrne 6 55 $34 14 Anthemoessa Matt Cumani J Childs 4 55 $41 15 Witherspoon Brad Widdup C Brown 12 55 $26 16 Whiskey Shooter Waterhouse & Bott T Clark 9 55 $51 17e Paquirri Gary Moore 17 57 $101 18e Terminology Waterhouse & Bott 14 55 $51 19e Spirit’s Pride Michael Nolan 1 57 $201 20e Sugar Sizzle Angela Plumb R Plumb 16 55 $251 21e Catastrophic Chris Munce 13 57 $101
2021 Magic Millions 2YO Classic result
Recent Magic Millions 2YO Classic winners
- The iconic duo of Hugh Bowman and Chris Waller combined to take out the Magic Millions 2YO Classic with Shaquero. The win hand the legendary trainer his first win in thw 2YO classic event and didn’t he do it in style. Despite going around as a $13 chance, Bowman lobbed the colt in the one-one and when asked for an effort at the top of the straight he quickly put a couple of lengths on his rivals and held off Alpine Edge and race favourite She’s All Class in an emphatic win.
- The Maher & Eustace stable produced a surprise in the Magic Millions 2YO Classic when bolting in the $2 million feature on the Gold Coast despite going around at $41. The filly was caught wide in the running, but still had plenty left in the tank when asked for an effort by Luke Currie to kick away and win by nearly two lengths on the line.
- There was plenty of buzz around Godolphin runner Exhilarates coming into a wide-open 2YO Classic and the horse in blue delivered. Under a brilliantly timed run from Kerrin McEvoy, the $600,000 purchase pounced late down the outside to run away with the Classic victory.
- The 2018 edition of the Magic Millions 2YO Classic was all about Sunlight and the Tony McEvoy runner didn’t disappoint. After jumping cleanly the filly trailed the leader Ef Troop throughout the entire race and when she decided to end the race, it ended. Entering the 400m mark Sunlight streaked away and recorded a comfortable and decisive victory.
- Many punters were turned off by the wide barrier draw, but the Toby Edmonds-trained Houtzen had electric barrier speed from barrier 16 as it held off the fast finishing Chauffeur. Houtzen was unbeaten coming into the race and it kept that streak alive by running straight to the front before coming wide and putting multiple lengths on the field. The challenge came late from Chauffeur, but Houtzen had too big of a break. Read full report.
- Capitalist was one of the shortest-priced winners in 2YO Classic history when it won paying $1.40. The Peter and Paul Snowden-trained colt had superior form leading into the race and that proved good enough to win by 2.5 lengths over locals Nikitas and Candika. Blake Shinn was aboard the two-year-old which would later win the 2016 Golden Slipper at Rosehill.
- Trainer Darryl Hansen scored his biggest training success when Le Chef won in 2015. The Exceed And Excel gelding was ridden by apprentice jockey Luke Tarrant, his biggest career success, and it paid $14.70 for the win. The Sunshine Coast-based gelding was able to defeat short-favourite Wicked Intent and Pepperano which finished second at odds of $11.90 to place. Le Chef didn’t continue to have a stellar career, but the $2 million purse made up for that.
- Unencumbered will long remain as one of the most popular 2YO Classic winners as it put the now recently-passed jockey Nathan Berry on the map. The Bjorn Baker-trained colt was the $3.20 favourite and it held off the talented Oakleigh Girl. The win secured Berry’s position as one of Australia’s better up-and-coming riders and brother Tommy was on course to congratulate him.
- Real Surreal was a large-framed filly which used a superior turn-of-foot to down Sweet Idea on the line. The Kelso Wood-trained daughter of Real Saga was best known on rain-affected tracks, but it proved too strong on a good surface to win at odds of $5.50. It was another Magic Millions 2YO Classic winner which didn’t continue on with it, but there were a couple of quality thoroughbreds in behind it.
- Gai Waterhouse scored yet another 2YO major when Driefontein won in 2012. The Fastnet Rock filly finished second in the race, but it was determined by stewards that stablemate No Looking Back caused interference. Either way, Waterhouse was happy with the result, as were punters which took the $3.60 on offer for Driefontein. It is often remembered for the protest, but the filly was a classy thoroughbred which continued to win races at a high level.
Past Magic Millions 2YO Classic winners
|Magic Millions 2YO Classic StakesPast Winners|
|2021||Shaquero||Hugh Bowman||Chris Waller|
|2020||Away Game||Luke Currie||Ciaron Maher & David Eustace|
|2019||Exhilarates||Kerrin McEvoy||James Cummings|
|2018||Sunlight||Luke Currie||Tony McEvoy|
|2017||Houtzen||Jeff Lloyd||Toby Edmonds|
|2016||Capitalist||Blake Shinn||Peter & Paul Snowden|
|2015||Le Chef||Luke Tarrant||Darryl Hansen|
|2014||Unencumbered||Nathan Berry||Bjorn Baker|
|2013||Real Surreal||Michael Cahill||Kelso Wood|
|2012||Driefontein||Tommy Berry||Gai Waterhouse|
|2011||Karuta Queen||Tommy Berry||Neville Layt|
|2010||Military Rose||Stathi Katsidis||Gillian Heinrich|
|2009||Phelean Ready||Jason Holder||Bruce & Jason McLachlan|
|2008||Augusta Proud||Claire Lindop||Leon Macdonald|
|2007||Mimi Lebrock||Hugh Bowman||Bart Cummings|
|2006||Mirror Mirror||Darren Beasley||Clarry Conners|
|2005||Bradbury’s Luck||Hugh Bowman||Graeme Rogerson|
|2004||Dance Hero||Chris Munce||Gai Waterhouse|
|2003||Regimental Gal||Michael Rodd||Shaun Dwyer|
|2002||Lovely Jubly||Scott Seamer||David Throsby|
|2001||Excellerator||Chris Munce||Gai Waterhouse|
|2000||Assertive Lad||Shane Dye||Gai Waterhouse|
Magic Millons 2YO Classic winners pre-2000
|Magic Millions 2YO Classic Past Winners Pre 2000|