Chipping Norton Stakes
Group One Betting Guide
|Date:||Saturday, March 2, 2024|
|Location:||Royal Randwick Racecourse – Sydney, New South Wales|
The Group 1 Chipping Norton Stakes is one of Sydney’s feature mile races and is now the official opening of Sydney’s Autumn Racing Carnival.
With names such as Phar Lap, Bernborough, Winx, Tulloch and Tie The Knot among the lost of past winners, the Chipping Norton Stakes is a race steeped in history.
2024 Chipping Norton Stakes betting odds
Markets for the 2024 Chipping Norton Stakes are currently unavailable.
Best Chipping Norton Stakes bookmakers
Many of the top horse betting sites have got odds available for the Chipping Norton Stakes all year around, with this a group race that has plenty of anticipation. The best bookmakers for Chipping Norton Stakes markets are:
Chipping Norton Stakes news & tips
Chipping Norton Stakes betting guide
Favourites have a good record in the Chipping Norton Stakes, and it pays to follow the quality milers that are proven winners over the distance.
A lot of runners in the Chipping Norton Stakes are stayers looking for more ground, but this makes it easier for punters to sift through the field and find the winning selection. Quality thoroughbreds which have won as the favourite include the likes of Winx, Verry Elleegant, Shoot Out, Starcraft, Lonhro, Tie The Knot (on four occasions), Super Impose and Our Waverley Star.
The shortest favourite in recent history to win was Winx at $1.10, while the longest price paid was $80 when He’s No Pie Eater lived up to his name in 2007. The son of Canny Lad came from nowhere to win the Chipping Norton before taking out the Rosehill Guineas later that month.
The best form guide for the Chipping Norton is the Group 2 Apollo Stakes, which is run two weeks prior. Six horses have completed the double since 2005 – Anamoe (2023), Winx (2016), Contributer (2015), Theseo (2010), Grand Armee (2005) and Lonhro (2003). Winx and Tuesday Joy are the only mares to have won the Chipping Norton, which is a race firmly dominated by the males.
The best barrier to follow is easily barrier four. It has a record of nine wins from the last 36 starts which is four more than any other barrier. Horses in barriers five and nine have struggled with only one win a piece from the last 35 attempts. Horses drawn wide found it tough to cross from the 1600m when the race was held at Warwick Farm, but it has been made easier since the race moved to Randwick.
Hugh Bowman is a world-class jockey and is arguably the one to follow in the Chipping Norton Stakes. Bowman has had 18 rides for seven wins and four placings.
2024 Chipping Norton Stakes Final Field
Horsebetting.com.au will update this page when the 2024 Chipping Norton Stakes field is released.
Previous Chipping Norton Stakes Fields
Many a Group 1 superstar has used the Chipping Norton Stakes to kick off their autumn campaigns.
No. Silks Horse Trainer Jockey Barrier Weight 1 Anamoe James Cummings James McDonald 3 59kg 2 Mo’unga Annabel Neasham Hugh Bowman 11 59kg 3 Knights Order Gai Waterhouse & Adrian Bott Tim Clark 7 59kg 4 Huetor Peter & Paul Snowden William Pike 9 59kg 5 Laws Of Indices Annabel Neasham Ryan Maloney 6 59kg 6 Stockman Joseph Pride Sam Clipperton 10 59kg 7 Arapaho Bjorn Baker Rachel King 2 59kg 8 Benaud John O’Shea Chad Schofield 5 59kg 9 El Bodegon Chris Waller Regan Bayliss 12 58.5kg 10 Montefilia David Payne Dylan Gibbons 8 57kg 11 Fangirl Chris Waller Kerrin McEvoy 1 57kg 12 Hinged Chris Waller Brenton Avdulla 4 57kg No. Silks Horse Trainer Jockey Barrier Weight 1 Think It Over Kerry Parker Nash Rawiller 8 59kg 2 Kolding Chris Waller Regan Bayliss 7 59kg 3 Top Ranked Annabel Neasham Hugh Bowman 9 59kg 4 Mount Popa Michael, Wayne & John Hawkes William Pike 13 59kg 5 Angel Of Truth Michael, Wayne & John Hawkes Jay Ford 12 59kg 6 Stockman Joseph Pride Sam Clipperton 11 59kg 7 Maximal John O’Shea Brenton Avdulla 1 58.5kg 8 Verry Elleegant Chris Waller James McDonald 4 57kg 9 Colette James Cummings Tim Clark 3 57kg 10 Montefilia David Payne Jason Collett 5 57kg 11 Hungry Heart Chris Waller Chad Schofield 2 57kg 12 She’s Ideel Bjorn Baker Rachel King 6 57kg 13 Duais Edward Cummings Joshua Parr 2 57kg No. Silks Horse Trainer Jockey Barrier Weight 1 Kolding Chris Waller Hugh Bowman 2 59kg 2 Avilius James Cummings Nash Rawiller 7 59kg 3 Southern France Ciaron Maher & David Eustace Jason Collett 3 59kg 4 Master Of Wine Michael, Wayne & John Hawkes Tommy Berry 9 59kg 5 Prince Nawaz Anthony Cummings Tom Marquand 1 59kg 6 Verry Elleegant Chris Waller James McDonald 4 57kg 7 Colette James Cummings Rachel King 8 57kg 8 Funstar Chris Waller Glen Boss 5 57kg 9 Toffee Tongue Chris Waller Brenton Avdulla 6 57kg
2023 Chipping Norton Stakes result
Recent Chipping Norton Stakes results
- The superstar colt Anamoe has made it eight career Group 1 wins after destroying his rivals in the Chipping Norton Stakes. He was a little bit slower away than usual after box seating in the Apollo Stakes first-up but it simply didn’t matter as James McDonald pulled him out with 400m to go and rounded them up in dominant fashion. Fangirl cut the corner again just like in her first-up performance and gave her customary turn-of-foot to run into second. Mo’unga improved with a change of tactics electing to sit outside the leader, Knights Order who ensured a strong tempo throughout the 1600m. Laws Of Indices finished off nicely into fourth as well, with Hinged the luckless runner getting a massive check at the 300m before sticking to the task to run fifth. It was all about the champion colt though with his eighth Group 1 success for Godolphin and James Cummings to continue his reign as Australia’s best middle-distance galloper.
- Verry Elleegant silenced any doubters she still had when adding an 11th Group 1 win to her name when claiming the Chipping Norton Stakes for a second year in a row. Having been challenged by rank outsider She’s Ideel with a 100m to go, the star mare under James McDonald managed to dig deep and gripped on to claim victory by a narrow margin. The win handed superstar trainer Chris Waller a 10th win in the race, claiming a sixth Chipping Norton in the last seven years and a 10th in the last 12 years.
- Wins do not come with much more heart or grit than what Verry Elleegant had to produce to take out the 2021 Chipping Norton Stakes. Aided by a perfect steer from James McDonald, Verry Elleegant had a fight on her hands to hold out Colette, Avilius, Funstar and Kolding where the was less than a length seperating the first five across the line and under half a length between the trifecta. The win handed Chris Waller his fifth winner in six years in the race and has taken out nine of the previous 11.
- It was a barnstorming finish that helped the Jamie Richards trained Te Akau Shark claim a second Group 1. The Shark was circling the field at the top of the straight and despite Verry Elleegant looking the winner at the 200m mark, Opie Bosson got to work and hit the front with 50m to go to take out the Chipping Norton
- It was meant to be a formality for Winx heading into her fourth Chipping Norton Stakes and while on paper it was a procession an enterprising ride on the second placed Happy Clapper certainly made it interesting. Blake Shinn speared the Clapper out to an early lead and rode the horse hard to lead by a long margin. The leader pinched a huge break, but of course the mare was good enough to run him down and stride away to record yet another Group 1 win.
- It was expected to be a stroll in the park for Winx in her third attempt at the Chipping Norton and the mare obliged to those who took the short odds. While she didn’t jump all that well Winx travelled well throughout and streaked away from the field untouched. Prized Icon battled well into second while long-shot Classic Uniform injected some value into the trifecta.
- 2017: There were a few punters which doubted whether Winx could win in the wet conditions, but the champion mare put those doubts quickly to bed. It cruised around the field to post an easy victory where it never left second gear. Race rival Hartnell was left three-wide and flat footed into the straight and the only horses making ground were stayers. The win gave Winx 15 consecutive wins and back-to-back Chipping Norton Stakes successes. Read full report.
- 2016: Winx continued on its unbeaten run 2016 when taking out the Chipping Norton Stakes by 1.5 lengths. The champion mare settle near the back of the field before starting a searching run nearing the corner. It easily found the front in the straight before pulling away from the likes of Dibayani and Hauraki. Winx would continue through its 2016 campaign without suffering a defeat.
- 2015: Contributer scored the prize for the many punters which took the $2.50 on offer. The John O’Shea-trained import burst onto the scene in 2015 and it continued its winning way by taking out the Chipping Norton over stablemate Hartnell. The five-year-old held on by a half-length over Hartnell which was making its Australian debut and although the rest of the field was made up by long-distance staying types, the win was one of Contributer’s career highlights.
- 2014: Boban scored a minor upset in 2014 when downing $1.90 favourite It’s A Dundeel. The Chris Waller-trained gelding was paying $4.75 so a good run was expected, but after It’s A Dundeel hit the front in the straight many punters thought the race was over. Boban kicked strongly on the outside and pulled away for a one length victory. Waller also trained the third-placed Hawkspur and Moriarty which finished in fourth.
- 2013: Chris Waller scored his second consecutive win with Shoot Out in 2013. The six-year-old was always well-favoured in the betting which was the case here. The Hugh Chaparral gelding paid $4 for the win with Hugh Bowman in the saddle and the ride was perfection. Shoot Out sustained a long run after settling back and it nabbed Monton right on the line to win by a nose. The disappointing effort in the race came from $5.50 chance Manighar which finished 11th.
- 2012: Shoot Out scored the first of its two Chipping Norton Stakes victories in 2012 and it did it in style. The five-year-old settle near the pace before pouncing at the 300m where it put two lengths on the chasers in quick time. The $5 win chance defeated stablemate Danleigh and Trusting to secure a good result for punters. The only disappointment was from $2.38 favourite Pinker Pinker which ran sixth.
Chipping Norton past winners list
|Chipping Norton Stakes Past Winners|
|2023||Anamoe||James McDonald||James Cummings|
|2022||Verry Elleegant||James McDonald||Chris Waller|
|2021||Verry Elleegant||James McDonald||Chris Waller|
|2020||Te Akau Shark||Opie Bosson||Jamie Richards|
|2019||Winx||Hugh Bowman||Chris Waller|
|2018||Winx||Hugh Bowman||Chris Waller|
|2017||Winx||Hugh Bowman||Chris Waller|
|2016||Winx||Hugh Bowman||Chris Waller|
|2015||Contributer||James McDonald||John O’Shea|
|2014||Boban||Glyn Schofield||Chris Waller|
|2013||Shootout||Hugh Bowman||Chris Waller|
|2012||Shootout||Hugh Bowman||Chris Waller|
|2011||Danleigh||Hugh Bowman||Chris Waller|
|2010||Theseo||Nash Rawiller||Gai Waterhouse|
|2009||Tuesday Joy||Corey Brown||Gai Waterhouse|
|2008||Casino Prince||Damien Oliver||Anthony Cummings|
|2007||He’s No Pie Eater||Zac Purton||Graeme Rogerson|
|2006||Desert War||Larry Cassidy||Gai Waterhouse|
|2005||Grand Armee||Danny Beasley||Gai Waterhouse|
|2004||Starcraft||Glen Boss||Garry Newham|
|2003||Lohnro||Darren Beadman||John Hawkes|
|2002||Tie The Knot||Patrick Payne||Guy Walter|
|2001||Tie The Knot||Patrick Payne||Guy Walter|
|2000||Tie The Knot||Shane Dye||Guy Walter|
Chipping Norton Stakes Past Winners Pre 2000
|Chipping Norton StakesPre 2000 Past Winners|
|1999||Tie the Knot|
|1987||Our Waverley Star|
|1986||Heat Of The Moment|