|Date:||Saturday, April 10, 2021|
|Location:||Royal Randwick, Sydney|
THE Doncaster Handicap is a Group 1 race held at Royal Randwick in Sydney for three-year-old horses and older held over 1600m.
Held on day one of The Championships in Sydney, the total prize pool for the race is $3 million.
A handicap race, the time-honoured Doncaster Handicap routinely draws the best horses from around the world to compete for Group 1 glory.
Sunline, Pharaoh, Winx and Super Impose are all notable winners of the race.
2021 Doncaster Handicap betting odds
Mugatoo announced himself as an out and out star when saluting in the All Star Mile. It is no surprise to see the Kris Lees-trained gelding the favourite in all-in markets for the Doncaster Handicap with odds of $4.50 available.
After taking out the 2021 George Ryder Stakes, Think It Over is on the second line of betting, with odds of $8.50 available for the Kerry Parker-trained son of So You Think to record back to back Group 1 successes.
The constant tease that is Avilius is the only other runner in single figures at odds of $9.00 for the Doncaster Handicap.
Best Doncaster Handicap bookmakers
The Doncaster Handicap is one of the feature events of the Championships in Sydney and the centerpiece race of the opening day.
The Doncaster Handicap – which is steeped in over 150 years of history – has markets that go up well in advance of the race.
Click on any of the banners below to wager on the Doncaster Handicap.
Betting guide for the Doncaster Handicap
Betting on the Doncaster Handicap has been a Waller whitewash in recent times.
Punters who had followed the Waller runners into the Doncaster Handicap from 2013 to 2017 have tasted success four of five times.
The George Ryder Stakes is typically a great indicator of how a horse will go in the Doncaster, and three horses in recent times – Racing To Win (2006), Haradasun (2007) and Vision And Power in 2009 – have gone on to complete the George Ryder/Doncaster double.
2020 Doncaster Handicap result
Recent Doncaster Handicap winners
- Despite giving the leader of the race a near seven length start at the home turn, Nettoyer unleashed a devasting burst to claim her maiden Group 1 success. The win in the Doncaster Handicap came as a shock to many as the Sebring mare saluted at $41, which was justified due to her near eight length defeat in the Ranvet Stakes the start prior. Nettoyer’s win handed trainer Wedny Roche and jockey James Innes jnr both of their maiden Group 1 successes.
- He’s the king of the Doncaster Handicap and Glen Boss again took the throne after guiding Brutal to a terrific win. From the wide gate Bossy took Brutal to the front and slowed the tempo down, which delivered the Kiwi easy sectionals, which proved the difference at the end of the race.
- Dubbed the “People’s Horse” heading into a wide-open Doncaster Handicap, Happy Clapper came into the race as a top elect after a strong run behind Winx in the George Ryder Stakes. Under a patient ride from Blake Shinn, Happy Clapper hit the front at the latter stages and never looked in danger.
- An extremely even betting field was presented in 2017 with Le Romain the starting favourite at $6, but it was It’s Somewhat that prevailed at massive odds of over $40. That John O’Shea-trained stayer used the front-runners bias to its advantage and it never looked like being beaten in the straight. Happy Clapper closed late, but the damage had been done mid-race when It’s Somewhat got away with a slow tempo.
- Winx delivered an absolute masterclass to hand Chris Waller his fourth straight Doncaster Handicap. As a $1.80 favourite the mare encountered slight traffic coming into the straight but Bowman was good enough to take the inside passage to hand the horse its ninth straight win.
- Chris Waller was looking to secure his third straight Doncaster Handicap win, but not many were predicting the run $8 chance Kermadec would put together in the group one race. Under a peach of a ride from Glen Boss, the dual group one winning horse surged from the middle of the pack to hit the front and run away with the race in the final 200m to record an impressive victory.
- After winning the race as a $19 outsider the year before, few were giving Sacred Falls the chance of going back-to-back in the Doncaster Handicap. After being unsighted for much of the race Zac Purton produced the gun at the right time to topple Royal Descent, which looked like the winner at the 300m mark.
- The first of Chris Waller’s four consecutive Doncaster Handicap titles came from an unexpected source as Sacred Falls saluted as a $19 chance. After settling down mid-field Sacred Falls was presented at the ideal time by Tommy Berry and they drew alongside superstar sprinter Pierro in the latter stages of the race. Sacred Falls ultimately got the better of the Waterhouse runner in stylish fashion.
Full list of Doncaster Handicap winners
|Doncaster Handicap Past Winners|
|2020||Nettoyer||James Innes jnr||Wendy Roche|
|2019||Brutal||Glen Boss||Michael, Wayne & John Hawkes|
|2018||Happy Clapper||Blake Shinn||Patrick Webster|
|2017||It’s Somewhat||Zac Purton||John O’Shea|
|2016||Winx||Hugh Bowman||Chris Waller|
|2015||Kermadec||Glen Boss||Chris Waller|
|2014||Sacred Falls||Zac Purton||Chris Waller|
|2013||Sacred Falls||Tommy Berry||Chris Waller|
|2012||More Joyous||Nash Rawiller||Gai Waterhouse|
|2011||Sacred Choice||Tim Clark||Joseph Pride|
|2010||Rangirangdoo||Nash Rawiller||Chris Waller|
|2009||Vision And Power||Jim Cassidy||Joseph Pride|
|2008||Triple Honour||Glen Boss||Chris Waller|
|2007||Haradasun||Glen Boss||Tony Vasil|
|2006||Racing To Win||Glen Boss||John O’Shea|
|2005||Patezza||Danny Nikolic||Guy Walter|
|2004||Private Steer||Glen Boss||John O’Shea|
|2003||Grand Armee||Darren Beasley||Gai Waterhouse|
|2002||Sunline||Greg Childs||Trevor McKee|
|2001||Assertive Lad||Chirs Munce||Gai Waterhouse|
|2000||Over||Darren Gauci||John Hawkes|
Doncaster Handicap winners pre-2000
|Doncaster Handicap Past Winners Pre 2000|
|1985||Row Of Waves|
|1982||My Gold Hope|
|1965||Time And Tide|
|1963||Fine And Dandy|
|1961||Fine And Dandy|
|1871||Sir William / Lottery|