The Championships Day 1 – Betting Guide
|Date:||Saturday, April 6, 2019|
|Location:||Royal Randwick, Sydney|
|Prize Money:||$3 Million|
THE Doncaster Mile is a Group 1 race held at Royal Randwick in Sydney for three-year-old horses and older held over the 1600m distance.
Held on day one of The Championships in Sydney, the total prize pool for the race is $3 million.
A handicap race, the time-honoured Doncaster Mile routinely draws the best horses from around the world to compete for Group 1 glory.
Sunline, Pharaoh and Super Impose are all notable winners of the race.
2019 Doncaster Mile betting odds
Brutal and Fifty Stars are locked together on the second line of betting at the $7 quote. Hartnell ($8) is the only other runner in single figures.
Best Doncaster Mile bookmakers
The Doncaster Mile is one of the feature events of the Championships in Sydney and the centerpiece race of the opening day.
The Mile – which is steeped in over 150 years of history – has markets that go up well in advance of the race.
Click on any of the banners below to wager on the Doncaster Mile.
Betting guide for the Doncaster Mile
Betting on the Doncaster Mile has been a Waller whitewash in recent times.
Punters who have followed the Waller runners into the Doncaster Mile from 2017 to 2013 have tasted success four of five times.
The George Ryder Stakes is typically a great indicator of how a horse will go in the Doncaster, and three horses in recent times – Racing To Win (2006), Haradasun (2007) and Vision And Power in 2009 – have gone on to complete the George Ryder/Doncaster double.
Doncaster Mile 2019 result
Recent Doncaster Mile winners
- He’s the king of the Doncaster Mile and Glen Boss again took the throne after guiding Brutal to a terrific win. From the wide gate Bossy took Brutal to the front and slowed the tempo down, which delivered the Kiwi easy sectionals, which proved the difference at the end of the race.
- Dubbed the “People’s Horse” heading into a wide-open Doncaster Mile, Happy Clapper came into the race as a top elect after a strong run behind Winx in the George Ryder Stakes. Under a patient ride from Blake Shinn, Happy Clapper hit the front at the latter stages and never looked in danger.
- An extremely even betting field was presented in 2017 with Le Romain the starting favourite at $6, but it was It’s Somewhat that prevailed at massive odds of over $40. That John O’Shea-trained stayer used the front-runners bias to its advantage and it never looked like being beaten in the straight. Happy Clapper closed late, but the damage had been done mid-race when It’s Somewhat got away with a slow tempo.
- Winx delivered an absolute masterclass to hand Chris Waller his fourth straight Doncaster Mile. As a $1.80 favourite the mare encountered slight traffic coming into the straight but Bowman was good enough to take the inside passage to hand the horse its ninth straight win.
- Chris Waller was looking to secure his third straight Doncaster Mile win, but not many were predicting the run $8 chance Kermadec would put together in the group one race. Under a peach of a ride from Glen Boss, the dual group one winning horse surged from the middle of the pack to hit the front and run away with the race in the final 200m to record an impressive victory.
- After winning the race as a $19 outsider the year before, few were giving Sacred Falls the chance of going back-to-back in the Doncaster Mile. After being unsighted for much of the race Zac Purton produced the gun at the right time to topple Royal Descent, which looked like the winner at the 300m mark.
- The first of Chris Waller’s four consecutive Doncaster Mile titles came from an unexpected source as Sacred Falls saluted as a $19 chance. After settling down mid-field Sacred Falls was presented at the ideal time by Tommy Berry and they drew alongside superstar sprinter Pierro in the latter stages of the race. Sacred Falls ultimately got the better of the Waterhouse runner in stylish fashion.
Full list of Doncaster Mile winners
|Year||Doncaster Mile Past Winner|
|2009||Vision and Power|
|2006||Racing To Win|
|1985||Row Of Waves|
|1982||My Gold Hope|
|1965||Time And Tide|
|1963||Fine And Dandy|
|1961||Fine And Dandy|
|1871||Sir William / Lottery|