Group One Betting Guide
|Date:||Saturday, October 30, 2021|
PUNTERS love betting on the Group 1 Cantala Stakes at Flemington because it has been taken out by some of the greats of Australian racing.
The 1600 metre race – which is now known as the Kennedy Stakes – is for horses aged three years and older is worth a total prize purse of $2 million.
It changed its name from the Emirates Stakes to the Cantala Stakes in 2016 and it changed dates from the last day of the carnival to Derby Day. It is run on the same day as the Victoria Derby and Coolmore Stud Stakes and the Empire Rose Stakes.
2020 Cantala Stakes betting odds
Four weeks out from the Cantala Stakes, the Mick Price and Michael Kent Jr-trained I’m Thunderstruck is a $9 market elect in Cantala Stakes futures markets.
The South Australian-based Ironclad is on the second line of betting with odds of $10 available with online bookmakers.
Sandown Stakes winner Elephant and the likes of Maximal, Mr Brightside and Superstorm share the third line of betting at $11.
Cantala Stakes best bookmakers
The Cantala Stakes and most big Group one races held in Australia will have markets framed for them months out from the race by the big corporate bookmakers. For Australians this means we have a handful of really positive options to bet on the biggest race meetings.
Take a look at our comprehensive reviews below for our trusted online bookmakers.
Cantala Stakes race history
The Cantala Stakes hasn’t always been under that name, as principal sponsor Emirates only came on board in 1998.
Prior to the sponsorship of Emirates, the race was sponsored by company’s such as Ampol, Honda, Nissan, Chrysler and its current name of Cantala.
With the former international banner of Emirates, and their involvement in world racing, the Cantala Stakes attracts big attention from Australians and even race goers and punters in Europe and Asia.
The race was first run in 1881 where it was won by Courtenay and it has been run every year since, even throughout the war periods.
Some real champions of the turf have etched their name on the trophy, and also etched their name into Australian racing history.
Vain was a winner in 1969 and champion Gunsynd followed suit two years later to win the 1971 edition of the then called George Adams Handicap.
In recent times, the winning names on the list don’t feature some of the world’s best milers, but the race is continually growing in stature and the increase in prize money in 2014 was a big stepping stone to attracting international horses.
2020 Cantala Stakes result
Recent Cantala Stakes runnings
- Despite winning a Group 1 in South Africa earlier in his career, Yulong Prince broke his Group 1 duck in the Cantala Stakes with a strong run from the rear of the field. With a breakneck speed set from Buffalo River, it was always going to suit the backmarkers and following a perfect steer from Damian Lane, it was Yulong Prince who held off the fast finishing Cascadian and Rock. The win handed Chris Waller a second Cantala victory in four years.
- In one of the closest finishes in Cantala Stakes history it was the Matthew Smith trained Fierce Impact who got the bob in during a driving finish where he held out Fifty Stars in an exciting finish. Read our full report on the 2019 Cantala Stakes here
- Godolphin galloper Best Of Days finally delivered on his promise, taking out 2018 Cantala Stakes in terrific fashion. Getting caught in a midfield position with a wall of horses in front of him, Best Of Days was steered brilliantly towards the fence by Craig Williams, who willed the stallion to the line when it looked like Le Romain had his measure.
- Kiwi import Shillelagh was considered an outside hope in the Cantala Stakes in 2017 but history suggests this race was extremely winnable Group 1 event. Fresh off a strong third in the Tristarc Stakes, Shillelagh got a beautiful tail into the race before unleashing down the outside to overrun perennial bridesmaid Tom Melbourne, who registered yet another second in his career.
- An extremely open Cantala Stakes saw Le Romain jumping as a $14 hope in 2016, but in hindsight that price was extremely generous. Settling midfield and getting a great trail into it, Le Romain was produced at the 400m mark and forged its way to the front before kicking away in the shadows of the post to record his second Group 1 victory of his career.
- It was another Kiwi import that won the Cantala Stakes, this time it Turn Me Loose under a strong front-running ride. Taking the lead at the beginning of the race, Turn Me Loose was the lamp lighter for the majority, but looked vulnerable coming into the latter stages of the race. No other horse was coming hard enough in the final 100m however, as Turn Me Loose gripped on to record a heart-stopping win for backers.
- Another double figure saluted in the Cantala after Hucklebuck pounced in the straight to claim his maiden Group 1 crown. Making the most of the hot tempo set by The Cleaner, Hucklebuck strode to the front when the front runner wilted and did enough to hold out a fast-finishing Lucky Hussler.
Past Cantala Stakes winners list
|Cantala Stakes Past Winners|
|2020||Yulong Prince||Damian Lane||Chris Waller|
|2019||Fierce Impact||Craig Williams||Matthew Smith|
|2018||Best Of Days||Craig Williams||James Cummings|
|2017||Shillelagh||Michael Dee||Chris Waller|
|2016||Le Romain||Hugh Bowman||Kris Lees|
|2015||Turn Me Loose||Kerrin McEvoy||Murray Baker & Andrew Forsman|
|2014||Hucklebuck||Dom Tourneur||Phillip Stokes|
|2013||Boban||Glyn Schofield||Chris Waller|
|2012||Happy Trails||Damien Oliver||Paul Beshara|
|2011||Albert The Fat||Mark Zahra||Chris Waller|
|2010||Wall Street||Hugh Bowman||Jeff Lynds|
|2009||All American||Corey Brown||David Hayes|
|2008||All Silent||Dwayne Dunn||Grahame Begg|
|2007||Tears I Cry||Nikita Beriman||Ciaron Maher|
|2006||Divine Madonna||Stephen Baster||Mark Kavanagh|
|2005||Valedictum||Steven King||Danny O’Brien|
|2004||Sky Cuddle||Jason Benbow||Peter Moody|
|2003||Titanic Jack||Brett Prebble||Tom Hughes|
|2002||Scenic Peak||Danny Nikolic||Danny Bougoure|
|2001||Grand Delight||Kerrin McEvoy||Mathew Ellerton|
|2000||Testa Rossa||Patrick Payne||Dean Lawson|
|Cantala Stakes Past Winners Pre 2000|
|1989||Better Loosen Up|
|1979||Bit Of A Skite|
|1978||Family Of Man|
|1924||The Night Patrol|