Group One Betting Guide
|Date:||Saturday, October 30, 2021|
The Victoria Derby kicks off the four day Flemington leg of the Melbourne Spring Carnival. The Derby headlines the day which also includes the Coolmore Stud Stakes, Cantala Stakes and the Empire Rose Stakes.
From 1855 to 1971, the race was a 2400 metre chase, but the extra 100 metres to make it a 2500m contenst was added in 1973. The pretty-named Rose of May was the first winner of the race, 160 years ago.
One of the toughest races to win, only won horse has saluted more than once, with Fireworks storming home in 1867 and 1868.
Derby Day is one of the most popular days of the Melbourne spring racing carnival.
You will routinely find 100,000 punters or more packing the stands at Flemington for the event, as 16 runners attempt to claim the derby.
Pointers to this race include the group two Moonee Valley Vase, with last the likes of Tarzino (2015), Efficient (2006), Plastered (2004), Helenus (2002), Blevic (1994) and Raveneaux (1986) all coming through the Moonee Valley race.
Efficient nabbed both races in 2006 and went on to win the Melbourne Cup the year after.
2021 Victoria Derby Odds
The Trent Busuttin and Natalie Young-trained Forgot You is a joint $8 favourite one month out from the Victoria Derby following his impressive start to his career.
Sharing favouritism is the Mick Price and Michael Kent Jr-trained Gunstock following a smart maiden win at Cranbourne over 1600m when first up from a spell.
Benaud, Gundec, Head Of State and Profondo are all deemed $11 chances with plenty of time remaining before the VRC Derby.
Best Victoria Derby bookmakers
The Victoria Derby is one of the most popular races on the Australian thoroughbred racing calendar and there’s no shortage of action on the group 1 event.
The team at Horse Betting has compiled comprehensive reviews of our trusted online bookmakers which all offer markets on the Victoria Derby.
Most successful trainers and jockeys in the Victoria Derby
Legendary trainer James Scobie claimed a remarkable eight Victoria Derby’s, the first in 1900 and the last 37 years later in 1937.
The great Bobbie Lewis had plenty to thank Scobie for, piloting five of his winners home in a glittering career.
Damien Oliver has won the race six times.
Cups king Bart Cummings has trained the winner of the Victoria Derby seven times, with the last of his wins coming in 1987 with Omnicorp.
In modern times Lee Freedman is the pick of the trainers, having won it three times since 1983, with Benicio (2005), Portland Player (1996) and Mahogany (1993).
David Hayes has also been a prominent trainer in the great race, with Kings High (1988) and Kibbutz (2007) giving him two victories.
2020 Victoria Derby result
Victoria Derby – Recent runnings
- Having entered the VRC Derby as a maiden, it was the Denis Pagan-trained Johnny Get Angry who reigned supreme in the Derby. The long-striding kiwi bred was always going to appreciate stepping out to the 2500m and with apprentice Lachie King on board, the trainer, horse and jockey all walked away from Flemington as maiden Group 1 winners. Having tracked race favourite Young Werther into the race, Pagan’s galloper managed to wear his rival down with 100m to go to claim victory and hand the former AFL premiership coach one of the biggest achievements in his post footy life.
- On what was a wet and miserably day, it was the Anthony Freedman-trained Warning who shined brightest in the Derby. Having claimed the listed Super Impose Stakes two starts prior, the Declaration of War gelding had shown he was a genuine VRC Derby type. Having been sent around as a $9.50 chance, Damien Oliver had him hitting the front 300m out and under urgings Warning pulled clear for a comfortable three-length victory. The win handed Damien Oliver his sixth VRC Derby success.
- In a brutally run Victoria Derby, Darren Weir and John Allen combined to get Extra Brut home. The leaders went very hard early doors and Extra Brut was content to let those at the front run themselves into the ground. As they wilted at the top of the straight Extra Brut pounced, claiming the lead at the 200m before fighting off all comers to record a famous win.
- Ace High showed why the Sydney form was so well respected in the lead-up to the 2017 Victoria Derby. The David Payne-trained three-year-old was positioned out three wide by jockey Tye Angland, but its class prevailed as it powered away for an easy victory. Sully battled on well for second after sitting just off the pace set by Weather with You and Astoria finished off well to continue the strong Sydney form.
- James Cummings continued the strong tradition of Victoria Derby winners when he lined up Prized Icon to victory at Flemington. The three-year-old had been consistent throughout its career which included a placing behind Yankee Rose in the Spring Champion Stakes and it continued to excellent form by Sydney-trained horses at the Melbourne spring carnival.
- What a run it was from the favourite. Piloted home by top hoop Craig Newitt, Tarzino stormed to victory over Etymology and Kia Ora. On the home straight, he came down the outside and streaked away from the field to salute.
- Another D. Oliver special, Preferment, an $8.50 chance, gave the gun jockey his fifth Victoria Derby, fighting off a superb challenge from Bondeiger ($11) and Nozomi ($41). The son of the all time great Zabeel, Preferment knocked over the $2.45 favourite Hampton Court, who did not fire a shot.
- A three year old bay colt that cost just $4000 came home to win the 2013 incarnation of the race. A feel good story, Polanski never looked like losing on the way home, fending off Complacent by three lengths, with Thunder Fantasy third.
- Favourite Its A Dundeel was rolled by a Fiveandahalfstar effort from a $25 outsider. The Anthony Cummings trained Fiveandahalfstar beat out Super Cool and Rawnaq to give Oliver yet another win in the big race.
Previous Victoria Derby winners
|Victoria Derby Past Winners|
|2020||Johnny Get Angry||Lachlan King||Denis Pagan|
|2019||Warning||Damien Oliver||Anthony Freedman|
|2018||Extra Brut||John Allen||Darren Weir|
|2017||Ace High||Tye Angland||David Payne|
|2016||Prized Icon||Glyn Schofield||James Cummings|
|2015||Tarzino||Craig Newitt||Mick Price|
|2014||Preferment||Damien Oliver||Chris Waller|
|2013||Polanski||Hugh Bowman||Robbie Laing|
|2012||Fiveandahalfstar||Damien Oliver||Anthony Cummings|
|2011||Sangster||Hugh Bowman||Trent Busuttin|
|2010||Lion Tamer||Hugh Bowman||Murray & Bjorn Baker|
|2009||Monaco Consul||Corey Brown||Michael Moroney|
|2008||Rebel Raider||Claire Lindop||Leon Macdonald|
|2007||Kibbutz||Craig Williams||David Hayes|
|2006||Efficient||Michael Rodd||Graeme Rogerson|
|2005||Benicio||Noel Callow||Lee Freedman|
|2004||Plastered||Paul Harvey||Lindsey Smith|
|2003||Elvstroem||Damien Oliver||Tony Vasil|
|2002||Helenus||Steven King||Leon Corstens|
|2001||Amalfi||Damien Oliver||Peter Moody|
|2000||Hit The Roof||Glen Boss||David Miller|
Victoria Derby Past Winners Pre 2000
|Victoria Derby Past Winners Pre 2000|
|1995||Nothin’ Leica Dane|
|1991||Star Of The Realm|
|1954||Pride Of Egypt|
|1887||The Australian Peer|
|1855||Rose Of May|