Group One Betting Guide
|Date:||Saturday, November 2, 2024|
|Location:||Flemington Racecourse – Melbourne, Victoria|
The Victoria Derby headlines Day 1 of the Melbourne Cup Carnival each year.
From 1855 to 1971, the race was a 2400 metre chase, but the extra 100 metres to make it a 2500m contest was added in 1973. The pretty-named Rose of May was the first winner of the race, 160 years ago.
One of the toughest races to win, only won horse has saluted more than once, with Fireworks storming home in 1867 and 1868.
Derby Day is one of the most popular days of the Melbourne spring racing carnival.
You will routinely find 100,000 punters or more packing the stands at Flemington for the event, as 16 runners attempt to claim the derby.
Pointers to this race include the group two Moonee Valley Vase, with the likes of Tarzino (2015), Efficient (2006), Plastered (2004), Helenus (2002), Blevic (1994) and Raveneaux (1986) all coming through the Moonee Valley race.
Efficient nabbed both races in 2006 and went on to win the Melbourne Cup the year after.
2024 Victoria Derby Odds
Markets for the 2024 Victoria Derby are currently unavailable.
Best Victoria Derby bookmakers
The Victoria Derby is one of the most popular races on the Australian thoroughbred racing calendar and there’s no shortage of action on the group 1 event.
The team at Horse Betting has compiled comprehensive reviews of our trusted online bookmakers which all offer markets on the Victoria Derby.
Latest VRC Derby News
Most successful trainers and jockeys in the Victoria Derby
Legendary trainer James Scobie claimed a remarkable eight Victoria Derby’s, the first in 1900 and the last 37 years later in 1937.
The great Bobbie Lewis had plenty to thank Scobie for, piloting five of his winners home in a glittering career.
Damien Oliver has won the race six times.
Cups king Bart Cummings has trained the winner of the Victoria Derby seven times, with the last of his wins coming in 1987 with Omnicorp.
In modern times Lee Freedman is the pick of the trainers, having won it three times since 1983, with Benicio (2005), Portland Player (1996) and Mahogany (1993).
David Hayes has also been a prominent trainer in the great race, with Kings High (1988) and Kibbutz (2007) giving him two victories.
2024 Victoria Derby Final Field
Horsebetting will update this page when the 2024 VRC Derby field is released.
Previous Victoria Derby Fields
Plenty of future Group 1 superstars have won the Victoria Derby. Check the previous fields of the Derby here.
No. Silks Horse Trainer Jockey Barrier Weight 1 Apulia Ben, Will & JD Hayes Mark Zahra 3 57kg 2 Verdad Robbie Griffiths & Mathew de Kock Jye McNeil 4 57kg 3 Air Assault Andrew Gluyas Ben Allen 6 57kg 4 Riff Rocket Chris Waller James McDonald 5 57kg 5 Sunsets Trent Busuttin & Natalie Young John Allen 16 57kg 6 Make A Call Peter & Paul Snowden Jamie Kah 15 57kg 7 Gold Bullion Gai Waterhouse & Jamie Kah Opie Bosson 13 57kg 8 Gates Peter Moody & Katherine Coleman Luke Nolen 14 57kg 9 Kosgei Trent Busuttin & Natalie Young Blake Shinn 12 57kg 10 Bulawayo Pat Carey & Harris Walker Celine Gaudray 7 57kg 11 Sacred Eagle Symon Wilde Jordan Childs 2 57kg 12 Roguery Lloyd Kennewell & Lucy Yeomans Billy Egan 1 57kg 13 Mercante Nigel Blackiston Damien Oliver 11 57kg 14 To Be Frank Ciaron Maher & David Eustace Jamie Spencer 10 57kg 15 Warialda Warrior John Ramsey Darryl McLellan 9 57kg 16 Tokyo Run Dean Mirfin Declan Bates 8 57kg No. Silks Horse Trainer Jockey Barrier Weight 1 Sharp ‘N’ Smart Graeme & Deborah Rogerson James McDonald 3 57kg 2 Berkeley Square Dan O’Sullivan Craig Williams 5 57kg 3 Let’srollthedice Danny O’Brien Ben Melham 7 57kg 4 Mr Maestro Andrew Forsman Damian Lane 17 57kg 5 Pericles James Cummings William Buick 6 57kg 6 Grand Pierro Jason Warren Mark Zahra 15 57kg 7 Manzoice Chris Waller Michael Dee 8 57kg 8 Foujita San Michael, Wayne & John Hawkes Jye McNeil 9 57kg 9 Skyphios Rob Blacker Harry Coffey 14 57kg 10 Muramasa Trent Busuttin & Natalie Young Daniel Moor 4 57kg 11 Fearless Knight Kacy Fogden Brett Prebble 11 57kg 12 Berardino Trent Busuttin & Natalie Young Damien Oliver 10 57kg 13 Distrustful Award Paul Preusker Dean Yendall 12 57kg 14 Highland Blaze Jackson Pallot Liam Riordan 13 57kg 15 King’s Crossing Danny O’Brien John Allen 16 57kg 16 Lehndorff Mark Newnham Joshua Parr 1 57kg 17 Aberfeldie Boy (1E) Robbie Griffiths & Mathew de Kock Ben Melham 2 57kg No. Silks Horse Trainer Jockey Barrier Weight 1 Forgot You Trent Busuttin & Natalie Young Daniel Moor 8 57kg 2 Tutukaka Tony Pike James McDonald 12 57kg 3 Alegron James Cummings Brett Prebble 9 57kg 4 Gunstock Mick Price & Michael Kent Jnr Jye McNeil 19 57kg 5 Akihiro Gary Portelli Rachel King 2 57kg 6 Character James Cummings Fred Kersley 10 57kg 7 Jungle Magnate Mick Price & Michael Kent Jnr Luke Currie 5 57kg 8 Commander Harry Trent Busuttin & Natalie Young Linda Meech 15 57kg 9 Hitotsu Ciaron Maher & David Eustace John Allen 7 57kg 10 Cerberus Anthony & Sam Freedman Damien Thornton 20 57kg 11 Gundec Symon Wilde Craig Williams 3 57kg 12 Clyde Gary Portelli Dean Yendall 6 57kg 13 El Rocko John McArdle Jamie Mott 16 57kg 14 Raging Bull David Payne Michael Dee 17 57kg 15 Cheerful Moment Lindsey Smith Blaike McDougall 14 57kg 16 Teewaters Archie Alexander Declan Bates 4 57kg 17 Zoumon (1E) Gai Waterhouse & Adrian Bott Glen Boss 13 57kg 18 Sebastian The Fox (2E) Shay Keating Jarrod Fry 1 57kg 19 King Of Pharaohs (3E) Lindsey Smith Will Gordon 18 57kg 20 Spirit Of Gaylard (4E) Mitchell Freedman Jordan Childs 11 57kg No. Silks Horse Trainer Jockey Barrier Weight 1 Cherry Tortoni Patrick Payne Billy Egan 14 57kg 2 Albarado Trent Busuttin & Natalie Young Mark Zahra 8 57kg 3 Johnny Get Angry Denis Pagan Lachlan King 5 57kg 4 Let’s Karaka Deel Ciaron Maher & David Eustace John Allen 3 57kg 5 Young Werther Danny O’Brien Damien Oliver 4 57kg 6 Hit The Shot Matt Cumani Fred Kersley 9 57kg 7 Cetshwayo Danny O’Brien Jamie Kah 10 57kg 8 Redwood Shadow Mick Price & Michael Kent Jnr Jye McNeil 12 57kg 9 Wertheimer Trent Busuttin & Natalie Young Hugh Bowman 6 57kg 10 Tour Of Duty Michael Moroney James McDonald 13 57kg 11 Token Spirit Robbie Griffiths & Mathew de Kock Damian Lane 11 57kg 12 Born To Succeed Saab Hasam Michael Walker 7 57kg 13 Wisaka Michael Moroney Ben Melham 2 57kg 14 Kenzan Danny O’Brien Daniel Moor 1 57kg
2023 Victoria Derby result
Victoria Derby – Recent runnings
- James McDonald & Chris Waller have combined to secure the Group 1 VRC Derby (2500m) at Flemington, with Riff Rocket ($2.15) getting the head down where it matters most. It was a ding-dong battle with Apulia ($4.20) in the closing stages as the team Hayes colt gave favourite backers a real fright in the shadows of the post. Sacred Eagle ($126.00) set a genuine tempo to make it a proper staying test, leaving Sunsets to build the revs early in the straight. Once the race went on, it was clear that the favoured pair were going to be left to fight out the finish, but in the end, it was the son of American Pharoah toughing out the victory.
- Manzoice’s finishing burst to win the Victoria Derby at Flemington was so good, jockey Michael Dee compared it to Durston’s triumph in the Caulfield Cup two weeks ago. Once again and just like the Caulfield Cup, master trainer Chris Waller had his $21 outsider expertly prepared for triumph in the Group 1 staying race over 2500m worth $2 million. The win handed jockey Michael Dee a second “classic” win and further etched his name into Australian racing folklore.
- Heavily backed Ciaron Maher & David Eustace trained Hitotsu looked to be in great danger sitting on the rail in second last at the 400 metre mark, however inform John Allen found the opening and let the three-year-old colt do the rest of the work and see him win by a length and a half and claim his second win and first group one.
- Having entered the VRC Derby as a maiden, it was the Denis Pagan-trained Johnny Get Angry who reigned supreme in the Derby. The long-striding kiwi bred was always going to appreciate stepping out to the 2500m and with apprentice Lachie King on board, the trainer, horse and jockey all walked away from Flemington as maiden Group 1 winners. Having tracked race favourite Young Werther into the race, Pagan’s galloper managed to wear his rival down with 100m to go to claim victory and hand the former AFL premiership coach one of the biggest achievements in his post footy life.
- On what was a wet and miserably day, it was the Anthony Freedman-trained Warning who shined brightest in the Derby. Having claimed the listed Super Impose Stakes two starts prior, the Declaration of War gelding had shown he was a genuine VRC Derby type. Having been sent around as a $9.50 chance, Damien Oliver had him hitting the front 300m out and under urgings Warning pulled clear for a comfortable three-length victory. The win handed Damien Oliver his sixth VRC Derby success.
- In a brutally run Victoria Derby, Darren Weir and John Allen combined to get Extra Brut home. The leaders went very hard early doors and Extra Brut was content to let those at the front run themselves into the ground. As they wilted at the top of the straight Extra Brut pounced, claiming the lead at the 200m before fighting off all comers to record a famous win.
- Ace High showed why the Sydney form was so well respected in the lead-up to the 2017 Victoria Derby. The David Payne-trained three-year-old was positioned out three wide by jockey Tye Angland, but its class prevailed as it powered away for an easy victory. Sully battled on well for second after sitting just off the pace set by Weather with You and Astoria finished off well to continue the strong Sydney form.
- James Cummings continued the strong tradition of Victoria Derby winners when he lined up Prized Icon to victory at Flemington. The three-year-old had been consistent throughout its career which included a placing behind Yankee Rose in the Spring Champion Stakes and it continued to excellent form by Sydney-trained horses at the Melbourne spring carnival.
- What a run it was from the favourite. Piloted home by top hoop Craig Newitt, Tarzino stormed to victory over Etymology and Kia Ora. On the home straight, he came down the outside and streaked away from the field to salute.
- Another D. Oliver special, Preferment, an $8.50 chance, gave the gun jockey his fifth Victoria Derby, fighting off a superb challenge from Bondeiger ($11) and Nozomi ($41). The son of the all time great Zabeel, Preferment knocked over the $2.45 favourite Hampton Court, who did not fire a shot.
- A three year old bay colt that cost just $4000 came home to win the 2013 incarnation of the race. A feel good story, Polanski never looked like losing on the way home, fending off Complacent by three lengths, with Thunder Fantasy third.
- Favourite Its A Dundeel was rolled by a Fiveandahalfstar effort from a $25 outsider. The Anthony Cummings trained Fiveandahalfstar beat out Super Cool and Rawnaq to give Oliver yet another win in the big race.
Previous Victoria Derby winners
|Victoria Derby Past Winners|
|2023||Riff Rocket||James McDonald||Chris Waller|
|2022||Manzoice||Michael Dee||Chris Waller|
|2021||Hitotsu||John Allen||Ciaron Maher & David Eustace|
|2020||Johnny Get Angry||Lachlan King||Denis Pagan|
|2019||Warning||Damien Oliver||Anthony Freedman|
|2018||Extra Brut||John Allen||Darren Weir|
|2017||Ace High||Tye Angland||David Payne|
|2016||Prized Icon||Glyn Schofield||James Cummings|
|2015||Tarzino||Craig Newitt||Mick Price|
|2014||Preferment||Damien Oliver||Chris Waller|
|2013||Polanski||Hugh Bowman||Robbie Laing|
|2012||Fiveandahalfstar||Damien Oliver||Anthony Cummings|
|2011||Sangster||Hugh Bowman||Trent Busuttin|
|2010||Lion Tamer||Hugh Bowman||Murray & Bjorn Baker|
|2009||Monaco Consul||Corey Brown||Michael Moroney|
|2008||Rebel Raider||Claire Lindop||Leon Macdonald|
|2007||Kibbutz||Craig Williams||David Hayes|
|2006||Efficient||Michael Rodd||Graeme Rogerson|
|2005||Benicio||Noel Callow||Lee Freedman|
|2004||Plastered||Paul Harvey||Lindsey Smith|
|2003||Elvstroem||Damien Oliver||Tony Vasil|
|2002||Helenus||Steven King||Leon Corstens|
|2001||Amalfi||Damien Oliver||Peter Moody|
|2000||Hit The Roof||Glen Boss||David Miller|
Victoria Derby Past Winners Pre 2000
|Victoria Derby Past Winners Pre 2000|
|1995||Nothin’ Leica Dane|
|1991||Star Of The Realm|
|1954||Pride Of Egypt|
|1887||The Australian Peer|
|1855||Rose Of May|