Group One Betting Guide
|Date:||Saturday, May 20, 2023|
The Goodwood is one of the showpiece events of Adelaide’s Autumn Carnival and the undisputed sprinting title that all the trainers want throughout the carnival.
A decision was made more than a decade ago by South Australian Racing officials to change the race from the traditional handicap to a set weights and penalties event, in an effort to bring some of Australia’s better sprinters to Morphettville to compete in the SAJC Goodwood.
2023 The Goodwood betting odds
Markets for The Goodwood 2023 are currently unavailable. Horsebetting.com.au will update this page when they are released.
Best The Goodwood bookmakers
The Goodwood is a Group 1 race in one of the key sprint fixtures on the Australian calendar, which means any bookmaker that takes themselves seriously open markets on the Goodwood nice and early.
Ladbrokes and Sportsbet usually open Goodwood all-in markets a couple of weeks in advance of the race, and other bookmakers we trust typically follow suit not long after.
Tote prices and other Fixed Odds markets tend to open when the race is two to three days away.
The bookies we trust the most are listed below and we recommend anyone interested in investing on the Goodwood to visit any of these sites:
Latest The Goodwood News
Betting on The Goodwood
The SAJC Goodwood is one of the toughest Group 1 races to be confident in heading into the race. Since 2011 nine of the ten winners have won a different lead up race leading into The Goodwood making hard to tie in formlines.
In the previous eight years only geldings have won the race, with Platelet being the last mare to win The Goodwood in 2013.
Since 1980, six three-year-olds have taken out The Goodwood; Daring Jon (1987), Boardwalk Angel (1989), Keeper (2001), Zip Zip Aray (2002), Perfectly Ready (2006) & Lone Rock (2011).
Since 2011, seven of the ten winners have saluted at double figure odds. Black Caviar was a redhot favourite in 2012 saluting at $1.10, whilst the last four winners have been at odds of over $10. The average winning price for The Goodwood over the last ten years is $16.70.
2023 The Goodwood Final Field
The field for The Goodwood 2023 is expected to be announced on Tuesday, May 16, 2023.
Previous The Goodwood Final Fields
Plenty of superstar sprinters of the racing scene have competed in The Goodwood, check out some of the previous final fields.
No. Silks Horse Trainer Jockey Barrier Weight 1 Behemoth David Jolly Kayla Crowther 8 59kg 2 Savatoxl Tony & Calvin McEvoy Barend Vorster 7 58.5kg 3 September Run Chris Waller Craig Williams 18 57kg 4 The Inferno Cliff Brown Mark Zahra 3 57kg 5 Beau Rossa Will Clarken Ben Price 21 57kg 6 In The Boat Lindsey Smith Blaike McDougall 20 57kg 7 Instant Celebrity Phillip Stokes Jake Toeroek 17 56.5kg 8 The Astrologist Leon & Troy Corstens Fred Kersley 6 56kg 9 Halvorsen Robbie Griffiths & Mathew de Kock Andrew Mallyon 2 56kg 10 Free Of Debt Chris Bieg Dom Tourneur 4 56kg 11 Regardsmaree Nick Ryan Billy Egan 1 56kg 12 Ironclad Will Clarken Will Price 16 55.5kg 13 Lombardo Mick Price & Michael Kent Jnr Zac Spain 19 55.5kg 14 Outlaws Revenge Ryan Balfour Jason Holder 9 55.5kg 15 Bella Nipotina Ciaron Maher & David Eustace John Allen 15 55kg 16 Aysar Ben & JD Hayes Michael Dee 16 54.5kg 17 Not An Option Mike Moroney Patrick Moloney 5 54.5kg 18 Frankie Pinot Tony & Calvin McEvoy Dean Holland 10 54.5kg 19 Extreme Warrior Mick Price & Michael Kent Jnr Jamie Kah 13 53.5kg 20 General Beau Mathew Ellerton Daniel Moor 14 52.5kg 21 Manhatten Times Leon Macdonald & Andrew Gluyas Jessica Eaton 11 52kg No. Silks Horse Trainer Jockey Barrier Weight 1 Behemoth David Jolly Craig Williams 6 59kg 2 Gytrash Gordon Richards Jason Collett 4 58.5kg 3 Kemalpasa Richard & Chantelle Jolly Jake Toeroek 5 57.5kg 4 Dirty Work Michael, Wayne & John Hawkes Jye McNeil 1 57kg 5 Virdine James Cummings Damien Oliver 9 56kg 6 Savatoxl Tony & Calvin McEvoy Barend Vorster 2 56kg 7 Pretty Brazen Tony & Calvin McEvoy Luke Currie 3 55.5kg 8 Beau Rossa Will Clarken Todd Pannell 8 55.5kg 9 Instant Celebrity Phillip Stokes Jamie Kah 11 55kg 10 Prophet’s Thumb Anthony & Sam Freedman Damian Lane 7 55kg 11 Dollar For Dollar Tony & Calvin McEvoy Jason Holder 10 54.5kg No. Silks Horse Trainer Jockey Barrier Weight 1 Santa Ana Lane Anthony Freedman Damien Thornton 10 59kg 2 Trekking James Cummings John Allen 6 58.5kg 3 Gytrash Gordon Richards Jason Holder 12 58.5kg 4 Sunlight Tony & Calvin McEvoy Barend Vorster 3 57kg 5 Zoutori Mathew Ellerton & Simon Zahra Lachlan Neindorf 11 57kg 6 Jungle Edge Mick Bell Georgina Cartwright 13 56kg 7 The Inevitable Patrick Payne Dean Holland 15 56kg 8 Order Of Command Danny O’Brien Ethan Brown 2 55.5kg 9 Behemoth David Jolly Todd Pannell 7 54.5kg 10 Bold Star Gordon Richards Kayla Crowther 4 54.5kg 11 Lyre Anthony Freedman Zac Spain 8 54kg 12 Xilong Tony & Calvin McEvoy Paul Gatt 1 53.5kg 13 Free Of Debt Chris Bieg Dylan Caboche 14 53kg 14 Amberdi Sue Jaensch Emily Finnegan 9 52.5kg 15 Li’l Kontra Ryan Balfour Karl Zechner 5 52kg
2021 The Goodwood result
Recent SAJC Goodwood winners:
- Despite starting favourite in a Manikato Stakes during the spring, the Mick Price & Michael Kent Jnr-trained Lombardo had hardly set the world on fire throughout his autumn campaign. However, that all change in The Goodwood, with Zac Spain piloting Lombardo to Group 1 glory. Having drawn out wide in barrier 18, Spain was quick to take up the running and had many of his rivals chasing as they entered the home straight. Having kicked clear with 200m to go, Lombardo already had a winning break going on to beat Halvorsen by 1.5 lengths and handing Zac Spain his second Group 1 win as a jockey.
- When Will Savage bought the $8000 yearling in Alice Springs, never would you think it would be competing against some of the best sprinters in Australia in the Group One SAJC Goodwood. However 2021 comes after the five-year-old gelding has run most his wins on sand and is currently sitting at $19 to win his first Group One. Barend Vorster took the inside rail on Savatoxl and he ran clear to win by two lengths over group one winners Instant Celebrity and Gytrash.
- It was an enthralling finish to the 2020 SAJC Goodwood when Gytrash reeled in tearaway leader Xilong at the 300m mark. However, Trekking who had been three back the fence and in the need of a bit of luck saw clear air at the 200m and charged down the middle of the track to nab the Group 1 superstar Gytrash on the winning post. The win for jocky John Allen was even sweeter as he had to undergo two weeks of quarantine prior to the Adelaide carnival due to the Covid-19 Pandemic. Trekking’s win in The Goodwood was his second Group 1 success following a win in the Stradbroke Handicap almost 12 months earlier.
- The 2019 edition of the Goodwood was won by $21 roughie Despatch, which was ridden by Todd Pannell and trained by Tony McEvoy. Despatch managed to hold off a fast-finishing Behemoth and pre-race favourite Spright, who also finished strongly.
- It seems unfathomable given Santa Ana Lane’s record in Group 1 races, but the champion sprinter was a huge outsider coming into the 2018 Goodwood. As the race panned out too he looked like an also-run, cornering towards the back of the field as the leaders entered the straight. In a piece of masterful riding however by Ben Melham, the gelding pierced his way through a wall of horses and hit the front in the final 50m to deliver a powerful win.
- Vega Magic came into the 2017 Goodwood as the second favourite just behind the previous year’s winner Black Hart Bart, and the front runner seemed to have it all his own way coming to the turn. Missrock loomed up on his outside and looked to have the race won upon straightening but the Lindsay Park sprinter fought back like the champ he is and secured his first Group 1 victory.
- Black Heart Bart had a spectacular run of form leading into the Goodwood and was the justified $2.80 favourite. The West Australian native had a fantastic run in transit and delivered a withering burst of speed to put away its rivals.
- Peter Moody trained Flamberge was not expected to be a factor in the 2015 incarnation after poor last start finish, but connections would have been buoyed after a good jump put the gelding just off the speed. The multiple time group winner powered to the front at the 100m mark and saluted to return a massive $21.
- After spending most of the trip wide in the running, old favourite Smokin’ Joey was expected to wilt given it went in as a $41 chance. The gelding found an extra gear in the straight however and powerfully put away its rivals to be the longest priced winner in the last 20 years.
- After taking out the Robert Sangster Stakes two weeks prior, Platelet went in at similar odds to back up that hard fought win. The then filly looked like it would peter out badly considering how far back it was but it stormed home late to record one of the most eye-catching wins in the race’s history.
The SAJC Goodwood past winners
|The Goodwood Past Winners|
|2022||Lombardo||Zac Spain||Mick Price & Michael Kent Jnr|
|2021||Savatoxl||Barend Vorster||Tony & Calvin McEvoy|
|2020||Trekking||John Allen||James Cummings|
|2019||Despatch||Todd Pannell||Tony McEvoy|
|2018||Santa Ana Lane||Ben Melham||Anthony Freedman|
|2017||Vega Magic||Craig Williams||David & Ben Hayes & Tom Dabernig|
|2016||Black Heart Bart||Brad Rawiller||Darren Weir|
|2015||Flamberge||Vlad Duric||Peter Moody|
|2014||Smokin’ Joey||Ben Melham||Wez Hunter|
|2013||Platelet||Ben Melham||Darren Weir|
|2012||Black Caviar||Luke Nolen||Peter Moody|
|2011||Lone Rock||Clare Lindop||Robert Smerdon|
|2010||Velocitea||Craig Newitt||Mick Price|
|2009||Takeover Target||Jay Ford||Joe Janiak|
|2008||Shadoways||Mark Pegus||Gwenda Johnstone|
|2007||Let Go Thommo||Steven King||Steven Ryan|
|2006||Perfectly Ready||Stephen Baster||Mick Price|
|2005||Glamour Puss||Steven King||Danny O’Brien|
|2004||Super Elegant||Greg Childs||Kelvin Bourke|
|2003||Bomber Bill||Steven Arnold||Robert Smerdon|
|2002||Zip Zip Aray||Brian Park||Tom Pratt|
|2001||Keeper||Brett Prebble||Myles Plumb|
|2000||Marstic||Aaron Spiteri||Tony Vasil|
The Goodwood Past Winners Pre 2000
|Robert Sangster Stakes Past Winners Pre 2000|
|1993||Jolly Old Mac|
|1943-42||Race Not Held|
|1906||Step – Out|
|1888-86||Race Not Held|