Group One Betting Guide
|Date:||Saturday, May 15, 2021|
The Goodwood is one of the showpiece events of Adelaide’s Autumn Carnival and the undisputed sprinting title that all the trainers want throughout the carnival.
A decision was made more than a decade ago by South Australian Racing officials to change the race from the traditional handicap to a set weights and penalties event, in an effort to bring some of Australia’s better sprinters to Morphettville to compete in the SAJC Goodwood.
2021 SAJC Goodwood betting odds
South Australia’s Group 1 superstar Behemoth is the current $3.50 favourite in all-in markets in a bid to claim his third Group 1 success.
The returning Gytrash will look to mark his return with a win and with $4 on offer for the Gordon Richards-trained sprinter, online bookmakers are giving him a big chance to do just that.
Robert Sangster Stakes winner Instant Celebrity and Beau Rossa are the only other runners in single figures sharing the third line of betting at $7.
Best SAJC Goodwood bookmakers
The Goodwood is a Group 1 race in one of the key sprint fixtures on the Australian calendar, which means any bookmaker that takes themselves seriously open markets on the Goodwood nice and early.
Ladbrokes and Sportsbet usually open Goodwood all-in markets a couple of weeks in advance of the race, and other bookmakers we trust typically follow suit not long after.
Tote prices and other Fixed Odds markets tend to open when the race is two to three days away.
The bookies we trust the most are listed below and we recommend anyone interested in investing on the Goodwood to visit any of these sites:
Betting on The SAJC Goodwood
The SAJC Goodwood is one of the toughest Group 1 races to be confident in heading into the race. Since 2011 nine of the ten winners have won a different lead up race leading into The Goodwood making hard to tie in formlines.
In the previous seven years only geldings have won the race, with Platelet being the last mare to win The Goodwood in 2013.
Since 1980, six three-year-olds have taken out The Goodwood; Daring Jon (1987), Boardwalk Angel (1989), Keeper (2001), Zip Zip Aray (2002), Perfectly Ready (2006) & Lone Rock (2011).
Since 2011, six of the ten winners have saluted at double figure odds. Black Caviar was a redhot favourite in 2012 saluting at $1.10, whilst the last three winners have been at odds of over $10. The average winning price for The Goodwood over the last ten years is $16.70.
2020 The SAJC Goodwood result
Recent SAJC Goodwood winners:
- It was an enthralling finish to the 2020 SAJC Goodwood when Gytrash reeled in tearaway leader Xilong at the 300m mark. However, Trekking who had been three back the fence and in the need of a bit of luck saw clear air at the 200m and charged down the middle of the track to nab the Group 1 superstar Gytrash on the winning post. The win for jocky John Allen was even sweeter as he had to undergo two weeks of quarrantine prior to the Adelaide carnival due to the Covid-19 Pandemic. Trekking’s win in The Goodwood was his second Group 1 success following a win in the Stradbroke Handicap almost 12 months earlier.
- The 2019 edition of the Goodwood was won by $21 roughie Despatch, which was ridden by Todd Pannell and trained by Tony McEvoy. Despatch managed to hold off a fast-finishing Bohemoth and pre-race favourite Spright, who also finished strongly.
- It seems unfathomable given Santa Ana Lane’s record in Group 1 races, but the champion sprinter was a huge outsider coming into the 2018 Goodwood. As the race panned out too he looked like an also-run, cornering towards the back of the field as the leaders entered the straight. In a piece of masterful riding however by Ben Melham, the gelding pierced his way through a wall of horses and hit the front in the final 50m to deliver a powerful win.
- Vega Magic came into the 2017 Goodwood as the second favourite just behind the previous year’s winner Black Hart Bart, and the front runner seemed to have it all his own way coming to the turn. Missrock loomed up on his outside and looked to have the race won upon straightening but the Lindsay Park sprinter fought back like the champ he is and secured his first Group 1 victory.
- Black Heart Bart had a spectacular run of form leading into the Goodwood and was the justified $2.80 favourite. The West Australian native had a fantastic run in transit and delivered a withering burst of speed to put away its rivals.
- Peter Moody trained Flamberge was not expected to be a factor in the 2015 incarnation after poor last start finish, but connections would have been buoyed after a good jump put the gelding just off the speed. The multiple time group winner powered to the front at the 100m mark and saluted to return a massive $21.
- After spending most of the trip wide in the running, old favourite Smokin’ Joey was expected to wilt given it went in as a $41 chance. The gelding found an extra gear in the straight however and powerfully put away its rivals to be the longest priced winner in the last 20 years.
- After taking out the Robert Sangster Stakes two weeks prior, Platelet went in at similar odds to back up that hard fought win. The then filly looked like it would peter out badly considering how far back it was but it stormed home late to record one of the most eye-catching wins in the race’s history.
The SAJC Goodwood past winners
|The Goodwood Past Winners|
|2020||Trekking||John Allen||James Cummings|
|2019||Despatch||Todd Pannell||Tony McEvoy|
|2018||Santa Ana Lane||Ben Melham||Anthony Freedman|
|2017||Vega Magic||Craig Williams||David & Ben Hayes & Tom Dabernig|
|2016||Black Heart Bart||Brad Rawiller||Darren Weir|
|2015||Flamberge||Vlad Duric||Peter Moody|
|2014||Smokin’ Joey||Ben Melham||Wez Hunter|
|2013||Platelet||Ben Melham||Darren Weir|
|2012||Black Caviar||Luke Nolen||Peter Moody|
|2011||Lone Rock||Clare Lindop||Robert Smerdon|
|2010||Velocitea||Craig Newitt||Mick Price|
|2009||Takeover Target||Jay Ford||Joe Janiak|
|2008||Shadoways||Mark Pegus||Gwenda Johnstone|
|2007||Let Go Thommo||Steven King||Steven Ryan|
|2006||Perfectly Ready||Stephen Baster||Mick Price|
|2005||Glamour Puss||Steven King||Danny O’Brien|
|2004||Super Elegant||Greg Childs||Kelvin Bourke|
|2003||Bomber Bill||Steven Arnold||Robert Smerdon|
|2002||Zip Zip Aray||Brian Park||Tom Pratt|
|2001||Keeper||Brett Prebble||Myles Plumb|
|2000||Marstic||Aaron Spiteri||Tony Vasil|
The Goodwood Past Winners Pre 2000
|Robert Sangster Stakes Past Winners Pre 2000|
|1993||Jolly Old Mac|
|1943-42||Race Not Held|
|1906||Step – Out|
|1888-86||Race Not Held|