Group One Betting Guide
|Date:||Saturday, May 16, 2020|
|Prize Money:||$1 Million|
The Goodwood is worth is one of the showpiece events of Adelaide’s Autumn Carnival and the undisputed sprinting title that all the trainers want.
A decision was made more than a decade ago by South Australian Racing officials to change the race from the traditional handicap to a set weights and penalties event, in an effort to bring some of Australia’s better sprinters to Morphettville.
2020 Goodwood betting odds
Gytrash is the $3.70 favourite with the top Australian bookmakers for the 2020 crown, with Santa Ana Lane and trekking shortening into $7 and $7.50 respectively in the week of the race.
Best Goodwood bookmakers
The Goodwood is a Group 1 race in one of the key sprint fixtures on the Australian calendar, which means any bookmaker that takes themselves seriously open markets on the Goodwood nice and early.
Ladbrokes and Sportsbet usually open Goodwood all-in markets weeks in advance of the race, and other bookmakers we trust typically follow suit not long after.
Tote prices and other Fixed Odds markets tend to open when the race is two to three days away.
The bookies we trust the most are listed below and we recommend anyone interested in investing on the Goodwood to visit any of these sites:
Betting on The Goodwood
The Goodwood brings out the best sprinters from around the country to duke it out for a huge prize packet, but the form lines do not always hold up heading into the race.
Just three horses in the period between 2016 and 2006 have won the Goodwood, but given one of those winners was the almighty Black Caviar, one win was always in the bag.
In the time-frame between 1983 and 2016, over half the winners in the Goodwood have won at double figure odds.
18 winners in the 33 races have won at odds averaging $22, and six of the last 10 winners have won at double figure odds.
It has also been a female’s race in recent times.
In between years 2010 and 2016, three mares and one filly have taken out the Goodwood.
2018 The Goodwood result
Recent Goodwood winners:
- The 2019 edition of the Goodwood was won by $21 roughie Despatch, which was ridden by Todd Pannell and trained by Tony McEvoy. Despatch managed to hold off a fast-finishing Bohemoth and pre-race favourite Spright, who also finished strongly.
- It seems unfathomable given Santa Ana Lane’s record in Group 1 races, but the champion sprinter was a huge outsider coming into the 2018 Goodwood. As the race panned out too he looked like an also-run, cornering towards the back of the field as the leaders entered the straight. In a piece of masterful riding however by Ben Melham, the gelding pierced his way through a wall of horses and hit the front in the final 50m to deliver a powerful win.
- Vega Magic came into the 2017 Goodwood as the second favourite just behind the previous year’s winner Black Hart Bart, and the front runner seemed to have it all his own way coming to the turn. Missrock loomed up on his outside and looked to have the race won upon straightening but the Lindsay Park sprinter fought back like the champ he is and secured his first Group 1 victory.
- Black Heart Bart had a spectacular run of form leading into the Goodwood and was the justified $2.80 favourite. The West Australian native had a fantastic run in transit and delivered a withering burst of speed to put away its rivals.
- Peter Moody trained Flamberge was not expected to be a factor in the 2015 incarnation after poor last start finish, but connections would have been buoyed after a good jump put the gelding just off the speed. The multiple time group winner powered to the front at the 100m mark and saluted to return a massive $21.
- After spending most of the trip wide in the running, old favourite Smokin’ Joey was expected to wilt given it went in as a $41 chance. The gelding found an extra gear in the straight however and powerfully put away its rivals to be the longest priced winner in the last 20 years.
- After taking out the Robert Sangster Stakes two weeks prior, Platelet went in at similar odds to back up that hard fought win. The then filly looked like it would peter out badly considering how far back it was but it stormed home late to record one of the most eye-catching wins in the race’s history.
The Goodwood past winners
|Year||Goodwood Past Winner|
|2018||Santa Ana Lane|
|2016||Black Heart Bart|
|2007||Let Go Thommo|
|2002||Zip Zip Aray|
|1993||Jolly Old Mac|
|1943-42||Race Not Held|
|1906||Step – Out|
|1988-86||Race Not Held|