Group One Betting Guide
|Date:||June 12, 2021|
|Location:||Eagle Farm Racecourse|
THE Group 1 Stradbroke Handicap is the most popular race during the Brisbane Racing Carnival and one of the premier sprint races on the Australian racing calendar.
Run at Eagle Farm in mid-June, the Stradbroke is considered one of the must-win races of the Brisbane Winter Racing Carnival. The best sprinter-milers from around Australia routinely hit the sunshine state to compete for the prize.
2021 Stradbroke Handicap betting odds
Vega One has seen plenty of market support following his breathtaking win in the Group 1 Kingsford Smith Cup two weeks out from the Stradbroke Handicap. Odds of $6 are available for the Tony Gollan-trained runner to take out the two marquee sprinting events at Eagle Farm during the QLD Winter Racing Carnival.
Despite Vega One’s win in the Kingsford Smith Cup, online bookmakers are wary that the Stradbroke Handicap will see plenty of star sprinters being aimed towards the race. Wild Planet, Tofane, Mr Quickie and The Harrovian are the other runners at a single figure quote, in a race that is expected to be one of the best races of the carnival.
Best Stradbroke Handicap bookmakers
Because the Group 1 Stradbroke Handicap is such a popular race, most bookmakers will open up markets very early in the season.
All the bookmakers listed offer Stradbroke markets. Take a look at our reviews of the bookies below.
Stradbroke Handicap betting guide
In the last 12 years, only two winners has started as the race favourite. That came in 2009 with back-to-back winner Black Piranha, which also won in 2010, but at much bigger odds. Black Piranha won in 2009 paying $4, but punters didn’t follow up the following year when it paid $19.
Trekking (2019) became the second favourite in that time to win the Stradbroke Handicap when taking the race out as a $7 favourite, which indicates how open a race like the Stradbroke is.
Apart from that it has been a race for the underdog which is very surprising. It shows the winter races can throw form out of the window and the results speak for themselves.
Mr Baritone (2008), Mid Summer Music (2012) and River Lad (2014) all paid $30 when winning and even the slick sprinting Srikandi paid double figures in 2015.
The well-backed runners have finished in behind with Buffering running second in consecutive years and the likes of Streama, Beaded, Chamapagne Cuddles and Mic Mac all placed, but could not win.
Punters will often get good prices throughout the market due to the wide variety of options. There is rarely a short-priced favourite which opens the gate for an unpopular pick to steal the race.
The Stradbroke favourite has won only six times since 1983 which doesn’t bode well for favourites punters.
One of the best barriers to jump from is barrier 18. You don’t typically see a statistic like that, but four winners have won from the widest barrier and the stats don’t lie. The inside barriers are also good to have, with ten winners drawing the inside three barriers (including 4 from barrier three), but look for the horses drawn wide and their price will likely be inflated.
2020 Stradbroke Handicap result
Stradbroke Handicap – Recent runnings
- Having finished second in the 2019 Stradbroke Handicap, Tyzone went one better in the 2020 Stradbroke in a blanket finish to the race. Having settled towards the rear of the field, Tyzone needed to put in a massive sprint to take out the Group 1 event. He did just that as the widest runner in the home straight. Despite needing to make up several lengths at the 200m, he got his nose down just in time to back up his second-placed finish in 2019 and won the 2020 edition in dramatic style to swamp Madam Rogue on the line.
- Fro the first time since 2009, Trekking took out the 2019 Stradbroke Handicap as the pre-race favourite. Having settled midfield three wide with cover, Trekking sustained a long sprint down the middle of the track and destroyed his rivals in smart fashion. Having finished third in the Kingsford Smith Cup a fortnight prior as favourite, Trekking certainly redeemed himself when breaking through for his first Group 1 win for Godolphin.
- Santa Ana Lane delivered another stunning performance in a Group 1 race after winning the Goodwood less than a month prior. It was a stunning performance once again from the underrated horse, which went on to record a powerful 1.75 length win ahead of Super Cash and red-hot favourite Champagne Cuddles.
- Impending turned around some suspect form to win the 2017 Stradbroke Handicap in fine style. It hadn’t had much go its way on the rain-affected tracks that season, but returning to the good surface at Doomben provided the three-year-old all the ammo it needed to give Darren Beadman his first and last group one training success as a solo trainer for Godolphin. Race favourite Clearly Innocent ran home well for third. Read the full report. Read the race report here.
- Under The Louvre turned the tables on Black Heart Bart in a classic running of the Stradbroke. Ridden by Dwayne Dunn, the Robert Smerdon-trained Under The Louvre ($11) held off a challenge from Black Heart Bart ($5.50), with $81 shot The Virginian ($81) surprising to come home in third. It was an epic victory given Black Heart Bart had toppled Under The Louvre in the Group 1 Goodwood Handicap in Adelaide last start.
- The 2015 Stradbroke Handicap was run at Doomben whilst track renovations were taking place at Eagle Farm. The Ciaron Maher-trained Srikandi took advantage of the leaders bias and went forward from the inside barrier. Despite coming into the race with good form and a light weight of 53kg, punters let it slide out to $12. The field it defeated was packed full of superstars which included Boban, Smokin’ Joey, Lumosty and Black Heart Bart.
- River Lad created a huge upset when winning at $31. It had shown form in Queensland, but not at group 1 level and even though top jockey Damien Oliver was in the saddle, bookmakers didn’t give it a chance of winning. The gelding which was passed in at the sales of $4000 scored one of the richest wins of the season and it was another which went forward from an outside barrier (15) and sat on the pace.
- Linton added itself to not only the long-priced winners list, but also the list of winners which have won from an outside barrier. The John Sadler-trained gelding jumped from barrier 16 and after dropping back from the draw, allowed for luck to play its part in the straight. Jockey Nick Hall picked a path along the inside and scored narrowly on the post. It paid $26 with bookmakers.
- The Peter Moody-trained Mid Summer Music cleared away for an impressive win in 2012 and it paid $31 with bookmakers. One of the outsiders of the field sat midfield and took the lead with 100m to go, before clearing out for a big win. The win was surprising for many, but the light weight of 53.5kg helped and it’s a key to betting in the Stradbroke – look for the lighter-weighted runners paying a good price.
- Sincero in 2011 carried a premium weight of 50.5kg to victory. The three-year-old pulled away on the line over the likes of Beaded and Buffering in what was the gelding’s biggest win of its career. There was plenty of class in behind Sincero in 2011 and the first seven horses home all carried less than 54.5kg. The highest-weighted horse was Black Piranha (two-time winner) which finished eighth when carrying 57kg.
Stradbroke Handicap winners
|Stradbroke Handicap Past Winners|
|2020||Tyzone||Robbie Fradd||Toby Edmonds|
|2019||Trekking||Kerrin McEvoy||James Cummings|
|2018||Santa Ana Lane||Ben Melhham||Anthony Freedman|
|2017||Impending||Corey Brown||Darren Beadman|
|2016||Under The Louvre||Dwayne Dunn||Robert Smeardon|
|2015||Srikandi||Kerrin McEvoy||Ciaron Maher & David Eustace|
|2014||River Lad||Damien Oliver||Natalie Mccall|
|2013||Linton||Nicholas Hall||John Sadler|
|2012||Mid Summer Music||Luke Nolen||Peter Moody|
|2011||Sincero||Jason Taylor||Stephen Farley|
|2010||Black Piranha||Nash Rawiller||Con Karakatsanis|
|2009||Black Piranha||Tye Angland||Con Karakatsanis|
|2008||Mr Baritone||Sebastian Murphy||Mike Moroney|
|2007||Sniper’s Bullet||Craig Williams||Tracy Bartley|
|2006||La Montagna||Craig Newitt||Barry Baldwin|
|2005||St. Basil||Michael Cahill||Bevan Laming|
|2004||Thorn Park||Danny Nikolic||Bob Thomsen|
|2003||Private Steer||Glen Boss||John O’Shea|
|2002||Show A Heart||Danny Nikolic||Bernie Miller|
|2001||Crawl||Darren Gauci||John Hawkes|
|2000||Landsighting||Chris Munce||Noel Mayfield-Smith|
Stradbroke Handicap winners pre-2000
|Stradbroke Handicap Past Winners Pre 2000|
|1994||All Our Mob|
|1970||Divide And Rule|
|1945-42||Race Not Held|
|1897||The Scamp / Dalnair|