Group One Betting Guide
|Date:||Saturday June 15, 2023|
|Location:||Eagle Farm Racecourse – Brisbane, Queensland|
THE Group 1 Stradbroke Handicap is the most popular race during the Brisbane Racing Carnival and one of the premier sprint races on the Australian racing calendar.
Run at Eagle Farm in mid-June, the Stradbroke is considered one of the must-win races of the Brisbane Winter Racing Carnival. The best sprinter-milers from around Australia routinely hit the sunshine state to compete for the prize.
Punters love betting on the Stradbroke, but steer away from the favourites. The well-backed runners have a shocking record in the race, so keep that in mind when placing your bets.
2024 Stradbroke Handicap betting odds
Markets for the 2024 Stradbroke Handicap are currently unavailable.
Best Stradbroke Handicap bookmakers
Because the Group 1 Stradbroke Handicap is such a popular race, most bookmakers will open up markets very early in the season.
All the bookmakers listed offer Stradbroke markets. Take a look at our reviews of the bookies below.
Latest Stradbroke Handicap News
Stradbroke Handicap betting guide
In the last 14 years, only three winners has started as the race favourite. That came in 2009 with back-to-back winner Black Piranha, which also won in 2010, but at much bigger odds. Black Piranha won in 2009 paying $4, but punters didn’t follow up the following year when it paid $19.
Trekking (2019) became the second favourite in that time to win the Stradbroke Handicap when taking the race out as a $7 favourite, which indicates how open a race like the Stradbroke is.
Think About It (2023) saluted in smart fashion as a $3 favourite following a dominant win in the Kingsford-Smith Cup the start prior.
Apart from that it has been a race for the underdog which is very surprising. It shows the winter races can throw form out of the window and the results speak for themselves.
Mr Baritone (2008), Mid Summer Music (2012) and River Lad (2014) all paid $30 when winning and even the slick sprinting Srikandi and Tofane paid double figures in 2015 and 2021.
The well-backed runners have finished in behind with Buffering running second in consecutive years and the likes of Streama, Beaded, Chamapagne Cuddles, Mic Mac and Tofane all placed, but could not win.
Punters will often get good prices throughout the market due to the wide variety of options. There is rarely a short-priced favourite which opens the gate for an unpopular pick to steal the race.
The Stradbroke favourite has won only seven times since 1983 which doesn’t bode well for favourites punters.
One of the best barriers to jump from is barrier 18. You don’t typically see a statistic like that, but four winners have won from the widest barrier and the stats don’t lie. The inside barriers are also good to have, with ten winners drawing the inside three barriers (including 4 from barrier three), but look for the horses drawn wide and their price will likely be inflated.
2024 Stradbroke Handicap Final Field
Horsebetting.com.au will update this page when the 2024 Stradbroke Handicap field is released.
Previous Stradbroke Handicap Fields
Plenty of the sprinting superstars of the racing scene have competed in the Stradbroke, here are some of the previous fields for the Stradbroke Handicap.
No. Silks Horse Trainer Jockey Barrier Weight 1 Rothfire Robert Heathcote Nash Rawiller 23 57kg 2 Superstorm Lauren Abbott James Orman 16 56.5kg 3 Vilana James Cummings James McDonald 15 56kg 4 Scallopini Steven O’Dea & Matthew Hoysted Boris Thornton 8 55.5kg 5 Converge Gai Waterhouse & Adrian Bott Tim Clark 17 55.5kg 6 Surf Dancer Gai Waterhouse & Adrian Bott Ryan Maloney 7 54.5kg 7 Gentleman Roy Ben & JD Hayes Craig Williams 2 54.5kg 8 Eleven Eleven Gregory Hickman Jason Collett 20 54.5kg 9 Think About It Joseph Pride Sam Clipperton 12 54kg 10 Cardinal Gem Grahame Begg Jordan Childs 6 54kg 11 Holyfield Annabel Neasham Damien Thornton 21 53.5kg 12 Aft Cabin James Cummings Kerrin McEvoy 19 53kg 13 Royal Merchant Ciaron Maher & David Eustace Ben Thompson 14 52.5kg 14 Ruthless Dame Ciaron Maher & David Eustace Michael Dee 13 52.5kg 15 Chain Of Lightning Peter Moody Linda Meech 18 52kg 16 Palaisipan Chris Munce Kyle Wilson-Taylor 11 52kg 17 Tick Tock Queen Tony Gollan Angela Jones 4 51kg 18 Hawaii Five Oh Gai Waterhouse & Adrian Bott Rachel King 3 49.5kg 19 Alpine Edge (1E) Toby & Trent Edmonds Martin Harley 5 53kg 20 Opal Ridge (2E) Luke Pepper Tyler Schiller 10 49.5kg 21 Dragon Leap (3E) Lance O’Sullivan & Andrew Scott TBC 1 53kg 22 Sinawann (4E) Anthony & Sam Freedman TBC 9 53kg 23 Yellow Brick (5E) Tony & Maddysen Sears TBC 22 51kg No. Silks Horse Trainer Jockey Barrier Weight 1 Private Eye Joseph Pride Brenton Avdulla 1 57kg 2 Laws Of Indices Annabel Neasham James McDonald 13 56.5kg 3 Apache Chase Desleigh Forster Jim Byrne 3 55.5kg 4 Eleven Eleven Gregory Hickman Hugh Bowman 5 55.5kg 5 Alligator Blood Gai Waterhouse & Adrian Bott Tim Clark 21 55kg 6 Soxagon Mark Currie Brad Stewart 11 54.5kg 7 Emerald Kingdom Robert Heathcote Kerrin McEvoy 2 54.5kg 8 Wild Planet Michael, Wayne & John Hawkes Brock Ryan 14 54.5kg 9 Rothfire Robert Heathcote Tommy Berry 20 54.5kg 10 I Am Superman Peter & Paul Snowden Sam Clipperton 18 54.5kg 11 Ayrton Mick Price & Michael Kent Jnr Jamie Kah 19 54kg 12 Bandersnatch Michael, Wayne & John Hawkes Jason Collett 12 54kg 13 Niccanova Steve Tregea Anthony Allen 16 53.5kg 14 Buffalo River Michael Moroney Rachel King 10 53.5kg 15 Isotope Tony Gollan William Pike 4 52.5kg 16 Brooklyn Hustle Jason Warren & Dean Krongold Craig Williams 22 52kg 17 Vilana James Cummings Stephanie Thornton 8 50.5kg 18 Startantes Robert Heathcote Taylor Marshall 15 50kg 19 Scallopini (1E) Steven O’Dea & Matthew Hoysted Boris Thornton 7 53.5kg 20 Ranch Hand (2E) Chris Waller Jay Ford 23 50.5kg 21 Flying Crazy (3E) Gerald Ryan & Sterling Alexiou TBC 17 50.5kg 22 Tycoonist (4E) Chris Waller TBC 9 51.5kg 23 Frankie Pinot (5E) Tony & Calvin McEvoy Barend Vorster 6 51.5kg No. Silks Horse Trainer Jockey Barrier Weight 1 Mr Quickie Phillip Stokes James McDonald 1 56.5kg 2 Savatoxl Tony & Calvin McEvoy Barend Vorster 13 55kg 3 Tofane Michael Moroney Craig Williams 12 54.5kg 4 Imaging Chris Waller Tim Clark 17 54.5kg 5 Olmedo Annabel Neasham Ryan Maloney 18 54.5kg 6 So Si Bon Tom Dabernig & Ben Hayes Mark Du Pless 2 54kg 7 Wild Planet Michael, Wayne & John Hawkes Tommy Berry 3 54kg 8 Niccanova Steve Tregea James Orman 14 54kg 9 I Am Superman Peter & Paul Snowden Kerrin McEvoy 3 54kg 10 Victorem Jenny Graham Mark Du Plessis 8 54kg 11 Vega One Tony Gollan Rachel King 4 53kg 12 The Harrovian Toby & Trent Edmonds Glen Boss 11 53kg 13 Signore Fox Peter & Paul Snowden Ben Thompson 19 52kg 14 Emerald Kingdom Robert Heathcote Robbie Fradd 10 52kg 15 Madam Rouge Chris Waller N/A 16 51.5kg 16 Subpoenaed Chris Waller Ron Stewart 21 51kg 17 Master Jamie Graeme Green Taylor Marshall 6 51kg 18 Apache Chase Desleigh Forster Jim Byrne 7 49.5kg 19 Outback Barbie (1E) Tony Gollan Jye McNeil 20 51kg 20 Amish Boy (2E) Ciaron Maher & David Eustace Stephanie Thornton 5 50kg 21 Blazejowski (3E) Greg Eurell N/A 2 51kg No. Silks Horse Trainer Jockey Barrier Weight 1 Trekking James Cummings Michael Cahill 22 58kg 2 Kementari James Cummings Ryan Maloney 10 55.5kg 3 Niccanova Steve Tregea James Orman 17 53kg 4 Ranier James Cummings Larry Cassidy 19 53kg 5 Victorem Jenny Graham Dale Smith 9 52.5kg 6 Tyzone Toby & Trent Edmonds Robbie Fradd 21 52.5kg 7 Crack Me Up Bjorn Baker Justin Huxtable 11 52.5kg 8 Vega One Tony Gollan Jim Byrne 20 52kg 9 Chief Ironside Kris Lees Corey Bayliss 14 52.5kg 10 Graff Kris Lees Sean Cormack 2 52kg 11 Deep Image Robert Heathcote Stephanie Thornton 18 51.5kg 12 Winter Bride Toby & Trent Edmonds Jake Bayliss 16 51kg 13 Madam Rouge Chris Waller Jason Taylor 13 51kg 14 Outback Barbie Tony Gollan Mark Du Plessis 8 51kg 15 Bam’s On Fire Ciaron Maher & David Eustace Tegan Harrison 1 51kg 16 Dawn Passage Gai Waterhouse & Adrian Bott James Innes Jnr 18 50kg 17 Hightail Peter & Paul Snowden Black Spriggs 5 50kg 18 Exhilarates James Cummings Taylor Marshall 4 49.5kg 19 Baccarat Baby (1E) David Vandyke Michael Hellyer 3 51kg 20 Brave Song (2E) Peter & Paul Snowden N/A 12 51.5kg 21 Bandipur (3E) Kelly Purdy N/A 7 51kg 22 Military Zone (4E) Peter & Paul Snowden N/A 15 51kg 23 Delectation Girl (5E) Kris Lees N/A 6 51kg
2023 Stradbroke Handicap result
Stradbroke Handicap – Recent runnings
- Joseph Pride and Sam Clipperton have combined with Think About It to take out the feature Group 1 race of the day, the Stradbroke Handicap at Eagle Farm. After stepping up to Group 1 grade for the first time last start in his Kingsford Smith Cup victory, this four-year-old gelding has now recorded back-to-back Group 1 wins, taking out Queensland’s richest race. The speed map looked awkward for the son of So You Think, but Clipperton didn’t panic and found cover three-wide and travelled sweetly up to the home turn, before cutting loose and storming past his rivals in the final 200m of the race. Once he stormed clear and put up a length on Rothfire – who was game in defeat after sitting on speed – the race was all over and Clipperton throttled him down to sit up for the photo this up-and-coming star cantered over the line. All the way throughout betting, Pride’s stable star held favouritism with most online bookmakers, and even though he wobbled out from $3 to $3.50 in the final minutes, he did his followers proud with a big win.
- Having been stripped of major victories and forced to overcome career-threatening injuries, Alligator Blood’s victory in the Stradbroke had to be seen to be believed. Despite being wide the trip, Tim Clark managed to gain cover throughout and once AB saw clear air in the home straight, he always looked the winner. With 200m to go he exploded past tiring leader Rothfire and went on to record a dominant victory over Private Eye and the aforementioned Rothfire.
- Tofane was going to be under the hammer three weeks prior to the Stradbroke Handicap, however with the bold decision of some of the owners they believed she could be a group one winner, fast forward three weeks and the five-year-old mare is charging down the Eagle Farm straight catching up to favourite Tofane to win by .5 of a length to become a group one winner.
- After only being able to deliver second a year prior in the 2019 Stradbroke handicap Tony and Trent Edmonds had planned to come back bigger and stronger the next year and that’s what they delivered securing their first group one win together with a photo-finish and winning over Madam Rouge by .2 of a length at the 2020 Stradbroke Handicap.
- For the first time since 2009, Trekking took out the 2019 Stradbroke Handicap as the pre-race favourite. Having settled midfield three wide with cover, Trekking sustained a long sprint down the middle of the track and destroyed his rivals in smart fashion. Having finished third in the Kingsford Smith Cup a fortnight prior as favourite, Trekking certainly redeemed himself when breaking through for his first Group 1 win for Godolphin.
- Santa Ana Lane delivered another stunning performance in a Group 1 race after winning the Goodwood less than a month prior. It was a stunning performance once again from the underrated horse, which went on to record a powerful 1.75 length win ahead of Super Cash and red-hot favourite Champagne Cuddles.
- Impending turned around some suspect form to win the 2017 Stradbroke Handicap in fine style. It hadn’t had much go its way on the rain-affected tracks that season, but returning to the good surface at Doomben provided the three-year-old all the ammo it needed to give Darren Beadman his first and last group one training success as a solo trainer for Godolphin. Race favourite Clearly Innocent ran home well for third. Read the full report.
- Under The Louvre turned the tables on Black Heart Bart in a classic running of the Stradbroke. Ridden by Dwayne Dunn, the Robert Smerdon-trained Under The Louvre ($11) held off a challenge from Black Heart Bart ($5.50), with $81 shot The Virginian ($81) surprising to come home in third. It was an epic victory given Black Heart Bart had toppled Under The Louvre in the Group 1 Goodwood Handicap in Adelaide last start.
- The 2015 Stradbroke Handicap was run at Doomben whilst track renovations were taking place at Eagle Farm. The Ciaron Maher-trained Srikandi took advantage of the leaders bias and went forward from the inside barrier. Despite coming into the race with good form and a light weight of 53kg, punters let it slide out to $12. The field it defeated was packed full of superstars which included Boban, Smokin’ Joey, Lumosty and Black Heart Bart.
- River Lad created a huge upset when winning at $31. It had shown form in Queensland, but not at group 1 level and even though top jockey Damien Oliver was in the saddle, bookmakers didn’t give it a chance of winning. The gelding which was passed in at the sales of $4000 scored one of the richest wins of the season and it was another which went forward from an outside barrier (15) and sat on the pace.
- Linton added itself to not only the long-priced winners list, but also the list of winners which have won from an outside barrier. The John Sadler-trained gelding jumped from barrier 16 and after dropping back from the draw, allowed for luck to play its part in the straight. Jockey Nick Hall picked a path along the inside and scored narrowly on the post. It paid $26 with bookmakers.
- The Peter Moody-trained Mid Summer Music cleared away for an impressive win in 2012 and it paid $31 with bookmakers. One of the outsiders of the field sat midfield and took the lead with 100m to go, before clearing out for a big win. The win was surprising for many, but the light weight of 53.5kg helped and it’s a key to betting in the Stradbroke – look for the lighter-weighted runners paying a good price.
- Sincero in 2011 carried a premium weight of 50.5kg to victory. The three-year-old pulled away on the line over the likes of Beaded and Buffering in what was the gelding’s biggest win of its career. There was plenty of class in behind Sincero in 2011 and the first seven horses home all carried less than 54.5kg. The highest-weighted horse was Black Piranha (two-time winner) which finished eighth when carrying 57kg.
Stradbroke Handicap winners
|Stradbroke Handicap Past Winners|
|2023||Think About It||Sam Clipperton||Joseph Pride|
|2022||Alligator Blood||Tim Clark||Gai Waterhouse & Adrian Bott|
|2021||Tofane||Craig Williams||Michael Moroney|
|2020||Tyzone||Robbie Fradd||Toby Edmonds|
|2019||Trekking||Kerrin McEvoy||James Cummings|
|2018||Santa Ana Lane||Ben Melhham||Anthony Freedman|
|2017||Impending||Corey Brown||Darren Beadman|
|2016||Under The Louvre||Dwayne Dunn||Robert Smeardon|
|2015||Srikandi||Kerrin McEvoy||Ciaron Maher & David Eustace|
|2014||River Lad||Damien Oliver||Natalie Mccall|
|2013||Linton||Nicholas Hall||John Sadler|
|2012||Mid Summer Music||Luke Nolen||Peter Moody|
|2011||Sincero||Jason Taylor||Stephen Farley|
|2010||Black Piranha||Nash Rawiller||Con Karakatsanis|
|2009||Black Piranha||Tye Angland||Con Karakatsanis|
|2008||Mr Baritone||Sebastian Murphy||Mike Moroney|
|2007||Sniper’s Bullet||Craig Williams||Tracy Bartley|
|2006||La Montagna||Craig Newitt||Barry Baldwin|
|2005||St. Basil||Michael Cahill||Bevan Laming|
|2004||Thorn Park||Danny Nikolic||Bob Thomsen|
|2003||Private Steer||Glen Boss||John O’Shea|
|2002||Show A Heart||Danny Nikolic||Bernie Miller|
|2001||Crawl||Darren Gauci||John Hawkes|
|2000||Landsighting||Chris Munce||Noel Mayfield-Smith|
Stradbroke Handicap winners pre-2000
|Stradbroke Handicap Past Winners Pre 2000|
|1994||All Our Mob|
|1970||Divide And Rule|
|1945-42||Race Not Held|
|1897||The Scamp / Dalnair|