Group One Betting Guide
|When:||Saturday, February 24, 2024|
|Location:||Caulfield Racecourse – Victoria, Australia|
The Oakleigh Plate is a Group 1 horse race run over 1100m at Caulfield with a total purse of $750,000.
The popular sprint race generally features some of the best sprinters in Australia. The list of past winners features some huge names, including Fastnet Rock (2005) and Eagle Falls (2011).
Race under handicap conditions, the Oakleigh Plate has only ever had five winners who have carried more than 55.5kg over the journey.
2024 Oakleigh Plate betting odds
Markets for the 2024 Oakleigh Plate are currently unavailable.
Best Oakleigh Plate bookmakers
Australian punters have plenty of options for betting on horse racing, with all the major online bookmakers offering odds on every metro and TAB regional meeting across the country.
The Autumn Carnival is exceptionally popular with horse racing fans, so there is generally a good spread of available bookie bonuses and other promotions surrounding events like the Oakleigh Plate.
Latest Oakleigh Plate News
Oakleigh Plate form
Surprisingly, the winner of the Lightning Stakes (1000m) is yet to race in and win the Oakleigh Plate. In fact, only two horses — Starspangledbanner and Swiss Ace — have won the Lightning and raced the following week, with neither having any success.
One possible indicator is that fresh horses have a very good record in the race, with six of the last 12 winners being first up. Three of the other six were second up, which indicates that horses at the tail end of a campaign will not fare as well as fresh horses.
2024 Oakleigh Plate Final Field
Horsebetting.com.au will update this page when the 2024 Oakleigh Plate field is released.
Previous Oakleigh Plate Fields
Many a sprinting superstar have taken out the time-honoured Oakleigh Plate.
No. Silks Horse Trainer Jockey Barrier Weight 1 Roch ‘N’ Horse Mike Moroney Jamie Mott 10 58kg 2 Lombardo Mick Price & Michael Kent (Jnr) Dean Yendall 8 57kg 3 Masked Crusader Michael, Wayne & John Hawkes Ben Melham 16 57kg 4 The Astrologist Leon & Troy Corstens Blake Shinn 13 56.5kg 5 King Of Sparta Peter & Paul Snowden John Allen 3 56.5kg 6 Zoustyle Tony Gollan Ethan Brown 20 55kg 7 Marine One Ciaron Maher & David Eustace Harry Coffey 5 54kg 8 Uncommon James Steven O’Dea & Matthew Hoysted Ben Thompson 14 53.5kg 9 Asfoora Henry Dwyer Jye McNeil 6 53kg 10 Lofty Strike Julius Sandhu Craig Newitt 11 53kg 11 Chain Of Lightning Peter Moody Craig Williams 2 52.5kg 12 Shooting For Gold Steven O’Dea & Matthew Hoysted Jaden Lloyd 4 52.5kg 13 I Am Me Ciaron Maher & David Eustace Jamie Kah 1 52kg 14 Mileva Phillip Stokes Dean Holland 7 52kg 15 Star Patrol Clinton McDonald Michael Dee 9 52kg 16 Zapateo James Cummings Daniel Moor 12 52kg 17 Shamino (1E) Phillip Stokes Kayla Crowther 15 52kg 18 Oxley Road (2E) Peter Moody Patrick Moloney 18 52kg 19 Triple Missile (3E) Lindsey Smith TBC 19 52kg 20 Bless Her (4E) Clayton Douglas TBC 17 52kg No. Silks Horse Trainer Jockey Barrier Weight 1 Wild Ruler Peter & Paul Snowden Mark Zahra 6 58kg 2 Zoutori Mathew Ellerton Damian Lane 12 58kg 3 Jonker Tony Gollan Jim Byrne 10 57.5kg 4 Bella Nipotina Ciaron Maher & David Eustace Jamie Kah 10 54kg 5 Marabi Ciaron Maher & David Eustace Ben Allen 2 54kg 6 Oxley Road Peter Moody Blaike McDougall 9 52.5kg 7 Away Game Ciaron Maher & David Eustace Linda Meech 5 52kg 8 Malkovich Bjorn Baker Craig Newitt 4 52kg 9 Minhaaj John O’Shea Kerrin McEvoy 1 52kg 10 Poland Mike Moroney Michael Poy 8 52kg 11 Streetcar Stranger David Jolly Paul Gatt 13 52kg 12 Ingratiating James Cummings Craig Williams 11 50kg 13 General Beau Mathew Ellerton Matthew Cartwright 7 50kg No. Silks Horse Trainer Jockey Barrier Weight 1 Zoutori Mathew Ellerton & Simon Zahra Jamie Kah 7 58kg 2 Dirty Work Michael, Wayne & John Hawkes Kerrin McEvoy 1 57kg 3 Kemalpasa Richard & Chantelle Jolly Damian Lane 10 57kg 4 Standout Gerald Ryan & Sterling Alexiou Damien Oliver 15 55.5kg 5 Mizzy Anthony Cummings Mark Zahra 16 54.5kg 6 Ancestry Phillip Stokes Michael Poy 4 53.5kg 7 Celebrity Queen Grant & Alana Williams William Pike 3 53.5kg 8 Bold Star Gordon Richards Patrick Moloney 12 52.5kg 9 Brooklyn Hustle Jason Warren & Dean Krongold Jye McNeil 14 52kg 10 Garner Gordon Richards Daniel Moor 2 52kg 11 How Womantic Ciaron Maher & David Eustace Lachlan Neindorf 11 52kg 12 Prophet’s Thumb Anthony & Sam Freedman Dean Yendall 13 52kg 13 Riding The Wave Lindsey Smith Dean Yendall 13 52kg 14 Sword Of Mercy Mathew Ellerton & Simon Zahra Dean Holland 6 52kg 15 Portland Sky Matt Laurie Teo Nugent 5 50kg 16 Hanseatic Anthony & Sam Freedman Damien Thornton 18 50kg 17 Ranting Leon & Troy Corstens Michael Dee 9 50kg 18 Anders Ciaron Maher & David Eustace Glen Boss 17 50kg
2023 Oakleigh Plate result
Recent runnings of the Oakleigh Plate
- Ben Thompson and Uncommon James have recorded their first Group 1 victory together in the Oakleigh Plate at Sandown, with the Steven O’Dea & Matthew Hoysted-trained gelding defeating the fast finishing Lofty Strike and Asfoora. Zoustyle took off from the barriers and led at a breakneck tempo, clearing out by about six lengths by the home corner, but he couldn’t sustain that tempo and he started to slow and fall in a hole, Thompson was sitting quietly on Uncommon James and when he asked for an effort the gelding let down with a very nice turn of foot. Last start the Cable Bay gelding was a heavily backed favourite in the Group 2 Rubiton Stakes, where he was beaten by just under a length by Lofty Strike, however, he was able to flip the script second-up. If you stuck with Uncommon James after his fresh run, you were laughing to the bank as he jumped as a $9.50 chance with online bookmakers.
- The Ciaron Maher & David Eustace-trained Marabi ran her rivals into the ground in the 2022 Oakleigh Plate. Having settled outside race leader Malkovich and going along at rapid sectionals, Marabi showed her class when sprinting clear in the Group 1. Despite the official margin being just a half-length back to Away Game in second, the win felt a lot more comfortable for the mare who took her career record to seven wins from as many starts. Alongside a miaden Group 1 success for Marabi, it was also a first win at the highest level for jockey Ben Allen who had partnered Marabi in all but one of her previous six career starts.
- As always the Oakleigh Plate was run at a breakneck speed, and when Portland Sky and Celebrity Queen paired off in the shadows of the winning post the judge couldn’t split them. When returning to the mounting yard young Teo Nugent was still unsure whether he had rode his first Group 1 winner or not, whereas William Pike was as cool as a cucumber after his ride on Celbrity Queen. After a five minute wait the judge could not split the pair and the spoils were shared.
- Pippie was far too speedy for her rivals in the 2020 Oakleigh Plate with the 52kgs and an all the way victory proving the right formula. Linda Meech knew that if she got to the front on the mare she’d be hard to run down and despite the official margin back to Zoutori only being half a length, it was much more comfortable of a victory than what that portrays.
- The pre-race chatter was about Nature Strip heading into 2019 but the star sprinter’s race was run at the 200m mark, allowing the off-pacers to lay their claims. Booker was running in the middle of the pack but produced a powerful run the final 100m to win, holding off the fast-finishing Encryption and the brave Eduardo.
- Russian Revolution was the easing favourite coming into the Oakleigh Plate but those who followed the Snowden runner into the Plate were not disappointed. The horse looked to be traveling smoothly coming up to the turn but when Snitty Kitty threatened to run away with the race and Mark Zahra had to push the button. Eventually Russian Revolution wore down the Kitty and won by half a length.
- Sheidel was well-backed in the lead-up for the 2017 Oakleigh Plate and the punters got it right on the money. The Lindsay Park-trained mare went forward from the barrier and led them a merry chase. Faatinah tried to close the gap in the straight with race favourite Extreme Choice closing in from well back, but Sheidel had too much in hand in scoring a one-length victory. Read the report here.
- Flamberge defied the bookmakers to record a famous victory for Peter Moody and Damien Lane. Jumping at $31 from barrier 15, Flamberge sat in fourth place for much of the run before accelerating to the lead in the straight. It was challenged hard by Fell Swoop ($14) but held on to win by a half head, with Heatherly, the $3.70 favourite, holding on for third after leading the field for much of the race.
- It was a famous 1-2 for Aquanita and Robert Smerdon Shamal Wind beating home Under The Louvre. Shamal Wind looked to be out of the race sitting fourth last but a blistering final 400m helped the $10 shot beat home stablemate Under The Louvre ($17) while Fast ’N’ Rocking ($18) was a nose third.
- Craig Newitt steered Lankan Rupee to a sensational victory which was largely because of a withering run on the straight. Sitting pretty behind leaders Kuroshio and Minaj, Lankan Rupee got the perfect run before powering away at the 400m mark. Spirit of Boom ran home well but was over a length second. Knoydart ($5) ran on well to claim third. Spirit Of Boom jumped at $18 while Lankan Rupee had eased out to $4 on the track.
- Mrs Onassis ($16) was too good with jockey Kerrin McEvoy expertly setting up the win after jumping from barrier 12. He immediately crossed with the Gerry Harvey-owned horse to sit outside the leader Adebisi. Despite doing much of the heavy lifting throughout the race, Mrs Onassis beat home Facile Tigre ($15), while Spirit Of Boom ($11) ran on nicely to finish third.
- Woorim, trained by Robert Heathcote, came from the clouds to win the 2012 running of the Oakleigh Plate. The $21 shot, trained by Robert Heathcote, defeated the John O’Shea-trained Elite Falls ($51) and Facile Tigre, who was well back in third.
Past winners of the Oakleigh Plate
|Oakleigh Plate Past Winners|
|2023||Uncommon James||Ben Thompson||Steven O’Dea & Matthew Hoysted|
|2022||Marabi||Ben Allen||Ciaron Maher & David Eustace|
|2021||Portland Sky/Celebrity Queen||Teodore Nugent/William Pike||Matt Laurie/Grant & Alana Williams|
|2020||Pippie||Linda Meech||John & Chris Meagher|
|2019||Booker||Dean Yendall||Mathew Ellerton & Simon Zahra|
|2018||Russian Revolution||Mark Zahra||Peter & Paul Snowden|
|2017||Sheidel||Joao Moreira||David Hayes|
|2016||Flamberge||Damian Lane||Peter Moody|
|2015||Shamal Wind||Dwayne Dunn||Robert Smerdon|
|2014||Lankan Rupee||Craig Newitt||Mick Price|
|2013||Mrs Onassis||Kerrin McEvoy||Gerald Ryan|
|2012||Woorim||Damian Browne||Robert Heathcoate|
|2011||Eagle Falls||Damien Oliver||David Hayes|
|2010||Starspangledbanner||Danny Nikolic||Leon Corstens|
|2009||Swiss Ace||Ken Pope||Mick Mair|
|2008||Weekend Hussler||Brad Rawiller||Ross McDonald|
|2007||Undue||Steven Arnold||Shane Clarke|
|2006||Snitzel||Craig Newitt||Gerald Ryan|
|2005||Fastnet Rock||Glen Boss||Paul Perry|
|2004||Reactive||Matt Pumpa||Bryan Mayfield-Smith|
|2003||River Dove||Stephen Baster||Mathew Elerton|
|2002||Sudurka||Nash Rawiller||Bryan Mayfield-Smith|
|2001||Miss Kournikova||Brett Prebble||Mathew Ellerton|
|2000||Sports||Danny Nikolic||John Hawkes|
Winners of the Oakleigh Plate Pre 2000
|Oakleigh PlatePre 2000 Past Winners|
|1998||Singing The Blues|
|1965||Time And Tide|
|1932||Blematic / Umbertana|
|1931||Merab / First Arrow|
|1921||Race Not Held|
|1912||Queen Of Scots|
|1897||So And So|