Group One Betting Guide
|Date:||Saturday March 9, 2023|
The Group 1 Newmarket Handicap dates all the way back to 1873, when Maid Of Avanel conquered the ‘Straight Six’ at Flemington in the inaugural running.
Still run over 1200m at Racing HQ, the Newmarket always attracts plenty of talent each year. The race’s honour roll features some of the biggest names in the business, including the likes of Black Caviar, Hay List and Exceed And Excel.
Held on the same day as the Australian Cup, the Newmarket often brings together leading sprinters that are on track to race in the Sydney Autumn Carnival over the following weeks.
2024 Newmarket Handicap betting odds
Markets for the 2024 Newmarket Handicap are currently unavailable.
Best Newmarket Handicap bookmakers
As the Newmarket Handicap is one of the best sprint races in Victoria, punters tend to bet with a fair amount of confidence in the race.
The winner of the race usually looks towards the VRC Sprint in the spring, so it may be worth having a look at the futures odds available following the running of the Newmarket Handicap.
The bookmakers below offer markets on the Australian Cup:
Newmarket Handicap Betting Guide
Dating back to the 1870s, the Newmarket Handicap is a race punters tend to attack with a fair amount of confidence despite mixed results for favourites over the years.
Only five horses in the race’s history has won it on multiple occasions, with the most recent being Redkirk Warrior in 2017 and 2018.
A strong form reference over the years comes from the Lightning Stakes held over the 1000m at Flemington three weeks earlier, as well as the Oakleigh Plate at Caulfield a fortnight prior to the Newmarket Handicap.
The late, great Bart Cummings has been the most successful trainer in the history of the Newmarket Handicap with eight wins to his name, while in modern times Peter Moody and the Dabernig & Hayes stable have been the ones to follow.
With wins on board Schillaci (1992), Toledo (2001) and Alinghi (2005), Damien Oliver was the first jockey to claim three wins in the prestigious race. Craig Newitt equalled that mark in 2016 with his win on The Quarterback, adding to his triumphs aboard Shamexpress (2013) and Miss Andretti (2007). Luke Nolen and Regan Bayliss are the only two jockeys in recent times to win the Newmarket Handicap in successive years.
2024 Newmarket Handicap Field
Horsebetting.com.au will update this page when the 2024 Newmarket Handicap field is released.
Previous Newmarket Handicap Fields
Many a sprinting superstar have taken out the time-honoured Newmarket Handicap.
No. Silks Horse Trainer Jockey Barrier Weight 1 Private Eye Joseph Pride Brenton Avdulla 2 58kg 2 Mazu Peter & Paul Snowden Sam Clipperton 16 57kg 3 I Wish I Win Peter Moody Luke Nolen 14 56.5kg 4 Roch ‘N’ Horse Mike Moroney Jamie Mott 3 55.5kg 5 Baller Tony Gollan Blake Shinn 13 55kg 6 Bella Nipotina Ciaron Maher & David Eustace Craig Williams 1 54.5kg 7 September Run Chris Waller Jye McNeil 11 54kg 8 The Astrologist Leon & Troy Corstens Damian Lane 15 54kg 9 Lofty Strike Julius Sandhu Craig Newitt 12 52.5kg 10 Chain Of Lightning Peter Moody Linda Meech 6 52kg 11 Front Page Geoff Duryea Patrick Moloney 7 52kg 12 Snapper Mike Moroney Michael Poy 4 52kg 13 Star Patrol Clinton McDonald Damien Thornton 10 52kg 14 Swats That Ciaron Maher & David Eustace Daniel Moor 5 52kg 15 In Secret James Cummings Jamie Kah 8 51.5kg 16 Buenos Noches Matthew Smith Ben Thompson 9 50.5kg No. Silks Horse Trainer Jockey Barrier Weight 1 Masked Crusader Michael, Wayne & John Hawkes Jye McNeil 13 57kg 2 Home Affairs Chris Waller James McDonald 16 56kg 3 Lost And Running John O’Shea Hugh Bowman 9 56kg 4 Zoutori Mathew Ellerton Damian Lane 1 55.5kg 5 Count De Rupee Robert & Luke Price Brock Ryan 7 54kg 6 Levante Ken & Bev Kelso Michael Dee 10 53.5kg 7 Halvorsen Robbie Griffiths & Mathew de Kock Dean Holland 11 52.5kg 8 Oxley Road Peter Moody Blaike McDougall 15 52.5kg 9 Poland Mike Moroney Michael Poy 14 52.5kg 10 Quantico John O’Shea Kerrin McEvoy 12 52.5kg 11 Roch ‘N’ Horse Mike Moroney Patrick Moloney 3 52.5kg 12 September Run Chris Waller Jamie Kah 8 52.5kg 13 Snapdancer Ciaron Maher & David Eustace Harry Coffey 17 52.5kg 14 Swats That Leon & Troy Corstens Craig Williams 6 52.5kg 15 The Astrologist Leon & Troy Corstens Fred Kersley 4 52.5kg 16 Artorius Anthony & Sam Freedman Craig Newitt 2 51kg 17 Finance Tycoon Danny O’Brien Josh Richards 5 50.5kg No. Silks Horse Trainer Jockey Barrier Weight 1 Zoutori Mathew Ellerton & Simon Zahra Luke Currie 4 57kg 2 Elite Street Daniel Morton Mark Zahra 11 56.5kg 3 Imaging Chris Waller Damian Lane 5 56.5kg 4 Kemalpasa Richard & Chantelle Jolly Damian Lane 10 56.5kg 5 Celebrity Queen Grant & Alana Williams William Pike 6 56kg 6 Dalasan Leon Macdonald & Andrew Gluyas John Allen 13 55kg 7 Flit James Cummings Damien Oliver 17 54.5kg 8 Standout Gerald Ryan & Sterling Alexiou Michael Walker 7 54.5kg 9 Bold Star Gordon Richards Daniel Stackhouse 9 54kg 10 Brooklyn Hustle Jason Warren & Dean Krongold Damien Thornton 10 54kg 11 Halvorsen Robbie Griffiths & Mathew de Kock Lachlan King 12 54kg 12 Indian Pacific Neville Parnham Brad Parnham 3 54kg 13 Prophet’s Thumb Anthony & Sam Freedman Craig Newitt 2 54kg 14 September Run Chris Waller Craig Williams 8 54kg 15 Sirius Suspect Saab Hasan Jamie Kah 14 54kg 16 Amish Boy Ciaron Maher & David Eustace Dean Yendall 1 52kg 17 Prague Annabel Neasham Michael Dee 16 52kg 18 Swats That Leon & Troy Corstens Jye McNeil 18 52kg
2023 Newmarket Handicap result
Recent Newmarket Handicap results
- The lone filly in the Newmarket Handicap In Secret has took out the Group 1 feature at Flemington on Super Saturday, with Dean Holland picking up the ride to win his second Group 1 of his career. With Jamie Kah being involved in the fall earlier in the program, James Cummings and the Godolphin team were tasked with finding a replacement jockey for In Secret in the feature and Dean Holland was the only jockey that could ride at 51.5kg, so he was the obvious choice. The I Am Invincible filly had her nay sayers coming into the Newmarket Handicap, but she did win the Coolmore Stud Stakes for the three-year-olds in the spring and she replicated that Coolmore win as close as possible, by putting a space on her rivals down the Flemington straight. In Secret was the online bookmakers favourite, at the start of the day at Flemington, however, with the jockey change, she drifted late to start at $6, with the race favourite I Wish I Win flashing home for third behind Lofty Strike.
- There was history created all round at Flemington when Roch ‘N’ Horse claimed the 2022 Newmarket Handicap. Having come off an impressive NZ campaign, Roch ‘N’ Horse was sent around as the rank outsider of the field and managed to salute at prices upwards of $100. With Home Affairs, Lost And Running and Masked Crusader in the race, he was given next to no chance, but consider he and the remainder of the trifecta stuck to the inside rail and dominated the finish, with fellow Kiwi Levante the best of the rest on the outside rail when finishing fourth. The win handed jockey Patrick Moloney his first ever Group 1 win as a jockey.
- Jockey Luke Currie has again proven a giant killer guiding $20.00 outsider Zoutori to victory in the Group 1 Newmarket Handicap. Jumping well and the Flemington straight favouring leaders was a perfect combination for the five-year-old gelding as he sat right outside second place Indian Pacific until Zoutori rose to the challenge and overpassed Indian Pacific at the 100 metre mark winning by .2 of a length.
- Rarely do we see a win in the Newmarket Handicap like the one Bivouac managed in 2020. The Godolphin star was given a perfect steer by Glen Boss taking a sit just off the leader and with his rivals already off the bit at the 300m mark it was a hands and heels job for Bossy. He made certain sprinters like Loving Gaby and Gytrash look second rate as Bivouac went on to announce himself as one of the countries best sprinters with his win in the Newmarket Handicap.
- The only filly in the 2019 Newmarket Handicap was the Tony McEvoy-trained Sunlight, and on the back of a superb front-running ride from Barend Vorster she never looked to be in any trouble as Sunlight took out the Newmarket Handicap. The story of the race however was the Godolphin runner Osborne Bulls deadset flying down the outside fence after being held up at a crucial time. It will go down as a win by three quarters of a length to Sunlight, but who knows what the result would have been like if the runner-up was given clear galloping air.
- For the first time in history a defending Newmarket Handicap winner managed to win the Newmarket Handicap the following year when Redkirk Warrior won by the barest of margins. During the first 100m the field split into halves, the runner up Brave Smash opted to stick to the inside rail whilst Redkirk Warrior opted to head to the outside fence. As both runners made their moves at the 300m mark but with both runners being world’s apart it was destined to be a tight finish, and for the second year in a row it was Redkirk Warrior under Regan Bayliss who handed the Dabernig & Hayes’ stable a second successive Newmarket Handicap.
- When the barriers opened in the 2017 Newmarket Handicap not many punters gave Redkirk Warrior a winning hope sending him around as one of the rank outsiders in the field at $31. But with thanks to a prolonged sprint from the 300m after leading the field up Redkirk Warrior managed to go to another gear to cause a massive upset in the 2017 Newmarket Handicap. The win in 2017 was the first of his two successive wins in the Group 1 event.
- On the back of a well timed ride by Froggy Newitt it was the Robbie Griffiths-trained The Quarterback who caused a massive upset in the 2016 Newmarket Handicap. It takes a very good sprinter to out-sprint Chatauqua from the rear of the field and Redkirk Warrior did just that after settling a clear last, and hit the front just in time to claim the Newmarket Handicap.
Previous winners of the Newmarket Handicap
|Newmarket Handicap Past Winners|
|2023||In Secret||Dean Holland||James Cummings|
|2022||Roch ‘N’ Horse||Patrick Moloney||Mike Moroney|
|2021||Zoutori||Luke Currie||Mathew Ellerton & Simon Zahra|
|2020||Bivouac||Glen Boss||James Cummings|
|2019||Sunlight||Barned Vorster||Tony McEvoy|
|2018||Redkirk Warrior||Regan Bayliss||David and Ben Hayes & Tom Dabernig|
|2017||Redkirk Warrior||Regan Bayliss||David and Ben Hayes & Tom Dabernig|
|2016||The Quarterback||Craig Newitt||Robbie Griffiths|
|2015||Brazen Beau||Joao Moreira||Chris Waller|
|2014||Lankan Rupee||Chad Schofield||Mick Price|
|2013||Shamexpress||Craig Newitt||Danny O’Brien|
|2012||Hay List||Glyn Schofield||John McNair|
|2011||Black Caviar||Luke Nolen||Peter Moody|
|2010||Wanted||Luke Nolen||Peter Moody|
|2009||Scenic Blast||Steven Arnold||Daniel Morton|
|2008||Weekend Hussler||Brad Rawiller||Ross McDonald|
|2007||Miss Andretti||Craig Newitt||Lee Freedman|
|2006||Takeover Target||Jay Ford||Joe Janiak|
|2005||Alinghi||Damien Oliver||Lee Freedman|
|2004||Exceed And Excel||Corey Brown||Tim Martin|
|2003||Belle Du Jour||Danny Nikolic||Clarry Conners|
|2002||Rubitano||Stephen Baster||Brian Mayfield-Smith|
|2001||Toledo||Damien Oliver||Russell and Scott Cameron|
|2000||Miss Pennymoney||Danny Beasley||Jim Conlon|
Newmarket Handicap Past Winners Pre 2000
|Newmarket Handicap Past Winners Pre 2000|
|1995||All Our Mob|
|1911||Queen Of Shot|
|1874||Maid Of Avenel|