Makybe Diva Stakes
Group One Betting Guide
|Date:||Saturday, September 14, 2019|
Named in honour of the three-time Melbourne Cup winner Makybe Diva, the Makybe Diva Stakes is one of the early Group 1 events of the Melbourne spring.
The 1600m feature is run at Melbourne’s premier race track Flemington in mid-September and gained its Group 1 level status in 2013. It was originally named the Craiglee Stakes up until 2006 when Racing Victoria changed the name.
Due to the middle distance of the mile, the winner’s list features a wide-range of thoroughbreds that includes sprinters, middle distance horses and stayers.
2010 Melbourne Cup winner Shocking used the Makybe Diva in its preparation and trainers have since used it as a key lead into the Melbourne Cup.
Best bookmakers for the Makybe Diva Stakes
Most bookmakers will open markets for the Makybe Diva Stakes in July/August, once all the nominations are received. This can differ depending on the bookmaker, so keep checking in with our bookmakers listed below for updated markets.
Betting statistics for the Makybe Diva Stakes
In the last 33 years, only 11 favourites have won the Makybe Diva Stakes, with a further 11 having filled a placing.
Only two of the last 10 favourites have won with an average price of $2.33 which makes the group one a wide-open affair where favourites don’t have a good record.
Four of the last 10 favourites have failed to finish in the first three and an incredible eight horses in the last 33 years have won paying in double figures. The average price for those winners is $19.75 which made certain punters extremely happy.
Some of the favoured runners that suffered defeat include: Lights Of Heaven ($1.90), Our Smoking Joe ($3), Baryshnikov ($1.90), Super Impose ($3), Typhoon Tracey ($2.05) and Apache Cat at $1.80.
Those are some champions that failed to win the Makybe Diva Stakes at short odds, but there have been some favourites win as well. We must not leave out Dissident ($1.82), Weekend Hussler ($1.90), Northerly ($2.15) and Sky Heights ($2.20).
Those names are synonymous with Australian racing and punters have to make sure they are betting on a champion to ensure their money is safe.
2019 Makybe Diva Stakes betting odds
There are no odds available for the 2019 Makybe Diva Stakes.
2018 Makybe Diva Stakes result
Recent Makybe Diva Stakes winners
- Grunt was well in commission a month in advance of the Makybe Diva Stakes but poor lead-in form led the punters to desert him. What a mistake that would prove to be. After traveling well throughout the race Grunt zoomed past long time leader Black Heart Bart and the 400m and put pay to the field, which was as good as any you’ll see in the 2018 spring. Melbourne Cup hopeful Kings Will Dream ran well into second while New Zealand star Jon Snow clung on gamely for third.
- Humidor created a big upset when launching late to beat $1.70 race favourite Hartnell. Former New Zealand runner Humidor wasn’t expected to hit top gear in a fresh state, but the group one winner sprouted wings down the Flemington straight to record and effortless victory. Hartnell battled on well for second, but it was an under par performance from the horse that was on the second line of the Cox Plate betting.
- Darren Weir-trained both first and second, with four year old Palentino Saluting from Black Heart Bart, who was the more fancied of the two runners with punters. Black Heart Bart had previously won the Memsie Stakes first up. Jumping at $2.05, Black Heart Bart hit the front at the top of the straight, but was a sitting duck for Mark Zahra and Palentino, who paid $9. He or she finished further back in third. Our full report.
- Fawkner had been withdrawn from the Memsie Stakes because of a poor barrier draw, but overcame a lack of a preparation race to win the Makybe Diva. The eight year old was ridden by Damien Oliver, who sent her forward early to overcome barrier 11. Oliver kept Fawkner close to the lead and eventually hit the front at the 200m mark. Rising Romance and Entirely Platinum pushed all the way but in the end it was Fawkner by a half neck.
- Dissident made it back to back group 1 wins in this race. Sitting second mid-race behind Messene, with a huge gap over the rest of the field, the pair slowed at the 600m mark. Around the behind Dissident moved up to Messene with the field charging behind. Fawkner was the main threat and finished hard but the $2.70 favourite held on for a great victory with Ben Melham onboard. Peter Moody was the trainer.
- Foreteller and Craig Newitt were victorious with the win paying straight up punters $15. Puissance De Lune (the Melbourne Cup favourite that year) was all the rage, jumping at $2.35. Foreteller, trained by Chris Waller, knocked Puissance De Lune off in the final few strides of the race, with another stayer Moudre ($91) back in third.
Previous Makybe Diva Stakes winners
|Year||Makybe Diva Stakes Past Winner|
|2000||Go Flash Go|
|1992||Star Of The Realm|
|1982||Rose Of Kingston|
|1978||Family Of Man|