Makybe Diva Stakes
Group One Betting Guide
|Date:||Saturday, September 11, 2021|
Named in honour of the three-time Melbourne Cup winner Makybe Diva, the Makybe Diva Stakes is one of the early Group 1 events of the Melbourne spring.
The 1600m feature is run at Melbourne’s premier race track Flemington in mid-September and gained its Group 1 level status in 2013. It was originally named the Craiglee Stakes up until 2006 when Racing Victoria changed the name.
Due to the middle distance of the mile, the winner’s list features a wide-range of thoroughbreds that includes sprinters, middle distance horses and stayers.
2021 Makybe Diva Stakes betting odds
There are no odds available for the 2021 Makybe Diva Stakes.
Horse Betting will update this page as soon as markets open for the Group 1 event.
Best bookmakers for the Makybe Diva Stakes
Most bookmakers will open markets for the Makybe Diva Stakes in July/August, once all the nominations are received. This can differ depending on the bookmaker, so keep checking in with our bookmakers listed below for updated markets.
Betting statistics for the Makybe Diva Stakes
In the last 34 years, only 12 favourites have won the Makybe Diva Stakes, with a further 11 having filled a placing.
Only two of the last 10 favourites (Fierce Impact (2020) and Dissident (2014)) and have won with an average price of $3.40 which makes the group one a wide-open affair where favourites don’t have a good record.
Three of the last 10 favourites have failed to finish in the first three and an incredible nine horses in the last 34 years have won paying in double figures. The average price for those winners is $19.75 which made certain punters extremely happy.
Some of the favoured runners that suffered defeat include: Lights Of Heaven ($1.90), Our Smoking Joe ($3), Baryshnikov ($1.90), Super Impose ($3), Typhoon Tracey ($2.05) and Apache Cat ($1.80).
Those are some champions that failed to win the Makybe Diva Stakes at short odds, but there have been some favourites win as well. We must not leave out Dissident ($1.82), Weekend Hussler ($1.90), Northerly ($2.15) and Sky Heights ($2.20).
Those names are synonymous with Australian racing and punters have to make sure they are betting on a champion to ensure their money is safe.
Punters should also note that the middle barrier draw is the most successful. There have been six winners from barrier six, with five wins coming in barriers one and eight.
2020 Makybe Diva Stakes result
Recent Makybe Diva Stakes winners
- The 2020 Makybe Diva Stakes was expected to be a battle between Russian Camelot and Fierce Impact. It was the Matthew Smith-trained Fierce Impact who had the last laugh when defeating Russian Camelot in a ding-dong battle over the final furlong. The Russian was forced to do it the hard way after being 3/4 wide without cover the entire race, whilst Fierce Impact saved plenty of ground along the inside half of the track. It was Fierce Impact’s third Group 1 win, after suffering a narrow defeat in the Winx Stakes at his previous start.
- When Gatting saluted at odds of $101 it was one of the biggest upsets in Group 1 history. The Darren McCauliffe-trained gelding’s win handed Jamie Kah her second Group 1 win and was the last win of Gatting’s career. Race favourite Mystic Journey loomed up to Gatting’s girth with 300m to go, but it was the roughie who found another gear to kick clear and cause the boil-over.
- Grunt was well in commission a month in advance of the Makybe Diva Stakes but poor lead-in form led the punters to desert him. What a mistake that would prove to be. After traveling well throughout the race Grunt zoomed past long time leader Black Heart Bart and the 400m and put pay to the field, which was as good as any you’ll see in the 2018 spring. Melbourne Cup hopeful Kings Will Dream ran well into second while New Zealand star Jon Snow clung on gamely for third.
- Humidor created a big upset when launching late to beat $1.70 race favourite Hartnell. Former New Zealand runner Humidor wasn’t expected to hit top gear in a fresh state, but the group one winner sprouted wings down the Flemington straight to record and effortless victory. Hartnell battled on well for second, but it was an under par performance from the horse that was on the second line of the Cox Plate betting.
- Darren Weir-trained both first and second, with four year old Palentino Saluting from Black Heart Bart, who was the more fancied of the two runners with punters. Black Heart Bart had previously won the Memsie Stakes first up. Jumping at $2.05, Black Heart Bart hit the front at the top of the straight, but was a sitting duck for Mark Zahra and Palentino, who paid $9. He or she finished further back in third. Our full report.
- Fawkner had been withdrawn from the Memsie Stakes because of a poor barrier draw, but overcame a lack of a preparation race to win the Makybe Diva. The eight year old was ridden by Damien Oliver, who sent her forward early to overcome barrier 11. Oliver kept Fawkner close to the lead and eventually hit the front at the 200m mark. Rising Romance and Entirely Platinum pushed all the way but in the end it was Fawkner by a half neck.
- Dissident made it back to back group 1 wins in this race. Sitting second mid-race behind Messene, with a huge gap over the rest of the field, the pair slowed at the 600m mark. Around the behind Dissident moved up to Messene with the field charging behind. Fawkner was the main threat and finished hard but the $2.70 favourite held on for a great victory with Ben Melham onboard. Peter Moody was the trainer.
- Foreteller and Craig Newitt were victorious with the win paying straight up punters $15. Puissance De Lune (the Melbourne Cup favourite that year) was all the rage, jumping at $2.35. Foreteller, trained by Chris Waller, knocked Puissance De Lune off in the final few strides of the race, with another stayer Moudre ($91) back in third.
Makybe Diva Stakes winners
|Makybe Diva StakesPast Winners|
|2020||Fierce Impact||Mark Zhara||Matthew Smith|
|2019||Gatting||Jamie Kah||Darren Mcauliffe|
|2018||Grunt||Damien Oliver||Mick Price|
|2017||Humidor||Damian Lane||Darren Weir|
|2016||Palentino||Mark Zahra||Darren Weir|
|2015||Fawkner||Damien Oliver||Robert Hickmott|
|2014||Dissident||Ben Melham||Peter Moody|
|2013||Foreteller||Craig Newitt||Chris Waller|
|2012||Southern Speed||Craig Williams||Leon Macdonald & Andrew Gluyas|
|2011||Littorio||Craig Williams||Nigel Blackiston|
|2010||Shocking||Michael Rodd||Mark Kavanagh|
|2009||Vigor||Damien Oliver||Damien Oliver|
|2008||Weekend Hussler||Brad Rawiller||Ross McDonald|
|2007||Marasco||Darren Beadman||Fred Kersley|
|2006||Pompeii Ruler||Craig Newitt||Mick Price|
|2005||Confectioner||Craig Williams||David Hayes|
|2004||Hugs Dancer||Greg Childs||Tony McEvoy|
|2003||Pentastic||Steven Arnold||David Hall|
|2002||Northerly||Greg Childs||Fred Kersley|
|2001||Native Jazz||Brett Prebble||Myles Plumb|
|2000||Go Flash||Neville Wilson||John Blakey|
Makybe Diva Stakes winners pre-2000
|Makybe Diva Stakes Past Winners Pre 2000|
|1992||Star Of The Realm|
|1982||Rose Of Kingston|
|1978||Family Of Man|