Group One Betting Guide
|Date:||August 21, 2021|
It seemed only fitting that one of the best horses of this generation got a race named in her honour.
In the tradition of superstar mare Black Caviar’s Lightning Stakes, Racing NSW decided to change the name of the Warwick Stakes to the Winx Stakes in 2018 after being known as the Warwick Stakes for almost 100 years.
The event has been used in recent years for Group 1 calibre runners to springboard their spring preperations, with the great mare, Winx using this race on multiple occassions to start her tilt at a Cox Plate.
2021 Winx Stakes Odds
There are no odds available for the Winx Stakes. Horse Betting will update this page as soon as markets open.
Best Winx Stakes bookmakers
Being one of Australia’s primary betting races, any bookmaker that doesn’t offer the markets on the WInx Stakes well in advance of the event is leaving money on the table.
The team at Horse Betting has compiled comprehensive reviews of our trusted online bookmakers which all offer odds on the Winx Stakes.
2020 Winx Stakes result
Recent Winx Stakes winners
- Having been set towards a Caulfield Cup / Melbourne Cup campaign, many were not giving Verry Elleegant much hope over the 1400m in the Winx Stakes. However, with plenty of guts and determination the Chris Waller-trained mare kicked off her campaign with another Group 1 win. Having been headed in the home straight by eventual runner-up Star Of The Seas, Verry Elleegant dug deep under urgings from James McDonald to get her nose down in time to claim victory holding out Star Of The Seas and Fierce Impact in a photo finish.
- All eyes were on Avilius and Happy Clapper heading into the 2019 Winx Stakes, but it was the Bjorn Baker-trained Samadoubt who caused a massive upset. Under a perfect steer from Tim Clark out in front, Samadoubt kept finding under Clark to hold out Happy Clapper and Invincible Gem in the concluding stages to claim his maiden Group 1 success as a $31 chance.
- Running in her very own race for the first time there was little doubt that Winx would deliver the goods. After jumping much better than she did 12 months earlier the mighty mare took her time but eventually gobbled up the opposition at the 200m and stormed away to win with consummate ease. The big surprise of the race was Invinctus King’s astonishing run to claim second at place odds of $23.50
- It was meant to be a walk in the park for Winx as the great one resumed en route to a third crack at the Cox Plate. The great one reared at the gates however and was left trailing the backmarker by several lengths at the start. In typical Winx fashion however the mare did what was required and stormed home in the shadows of the post to topple stablemate Foxplay.
- We were only just beginning to scratch the surface on Winx’s unbridled talent, but this display showcased exactly why she was named the world’s best horse just a year later. In a field that boasted plenty of Group 1 talent, Winx shadowed Rebel Dane coming into the corner before bursting away from the field to record a punishing win.
- After winning the ATC Oaks in spectacular fashion many expected Royal Descent to be the next big thing of Australian racing, but it didn’t exactly pan out that way. The horse would go on to run in 18-straight races without a win before pulling out all the stops to win in the latter stages of the 2015 Warwick Stakes. The horse would go on to run in five more fruitless races.
- In a star-studded race that contained the likes of 2015 winner Royal Descent, Kiwi Tiger Tees had two things on his side – race fitness and a love of wet weather. The driving rain saw the gelding firm right up in the betting and it proved to be the right play as the son of Dubawi powered away from them late in the piece to record a strong win.
- Not many gave $21 outsider Veyron a hope heading into the 2013 edition of the 2013 Warwick Stakes, but the New Zealand import had good enough form across the Tasman to suggest it could be a winner. Rain Affair was the short priced favourite, but after getting hassled most of the way by Streama, Veyron pounced and won by a half head.
Winx Stakes winners
|Winx Stakes Past Winners|
|2020||Verry Elleegant||James McDonald||Chris Waller|
|2019||Samadoubt||Tim Clark||Bjorn Baker|
|2018||Winx||Hugh Bowman||Chris Waller|
|2017||Winx||Hugh Bowman||Chris Waller|
|2016||Winx||Hugh Bowman||Chris Waller|
|2015||Royal Descent||Hugh Bowman||Chris Waller|
|2014||Tiger Tees||Glyn Schofield||Joseph Pride|
|2013||Veyron||Christian Reith||Linda Laing|
|2012||Pinwheel||Kerrin McEvoy||Peter Snowden|
|2011||Pinwheel||Kerrin McEvoy||Peter Snowden|
|2010||Metal Bender||Tim Clark||Chris Waller|
|2009||Trusting||Chris Munce||Jason Coyle|
|2008||Racing To Win||Hugh Bowman||John O’Shea|
|2007||Race Not Held|
|2006||Court’s In Session||Lenny Beasley||Guy Walter|
|2005||Sir Dex||Zac Purton||Gregory Hickman|
|2004||Private Steer||Glen Boss||John O’Shea|
|2003||Lonhro||Darren Beadman||John Hawkes|
|2002||Defier||Chris Munce||Guy Walter|
|2001||Lonhro||Darryl McLellan||John Hawkes|
|2000||Al Mansour||Darren Beadman||John Size|
Winx Stakes Past Winners Pre 2000
|Winx Stakes Past Winners Pre 2000|
|1998||What Can I Say|
|1993||Prince Of Praise|
|1959||Up And Coming|