Group One Betting Guide
|Date:||Saturday March 19, 2022|
The Rosehill Guineas is held over 2000 at Rosehill as part of the Triple Crown Series.
Connections of Rosehill Guineas runners are always wanting to see their runner handle the 2000m after racing at 1600m in the Randwick Guineas with an eye on the Derby at 2400m.
The honour roll that the Rosehill Guineas has, matches up against any race in the world. With the likes of Phar Lap, Tulloch, Tie The Knot, Octagonal and Kingston Town all previously winning the prestigious race.
The Rosehill Guineas only became a 2000m race back in 1948, with it being held at 1800m and 1400m prior to that. In 1980 the race gained an elevation to Group 1 status.
In recent times only The Autumn Sun (2019) has gone close to completing the Triple Crown when taking out both the Randwick Guineas and Rosehill Guineas, but was retired before getting a chance to complete the third leg in the Australian Derby. The last time the triple crown was completed was by It’s A Dundeel in 2013.
2023 Rosehill Guineas betting odds
Markets for the 2023 Rosehill Guineas are currently unavailable.
Best Rosehill Guineas bookmakers
Any bookmakers that take their jobs seriously offer markets on Rosehill Guineas well in advance of the race date.
All our trusted Australian betting sites have markets already up on the Rosehill Guineas.
Rosehill Guineas betting guide
It does not take a genius to work out the key form guide for the Rosehill Guineas. The Randwick Guineas is held a fortnight prior to the Rosehill Guineas. With the Rosehill Guineas the logical step prior to the Australian Derby it is no wonder connections continue on to the Rosehill Guineas.
Sydney based runners can also come through the Eskimo Prince Stakes or the Hobartville Stakes. Whilst runners making the trip north would be on the three week back up from the Group 1 Australian Guineas at Flemington.
As the Rosehill Guineas is the second leg of the Triple Crown in Sydney, runners coming through the Randwick and Rosehill Guineas will more than likely push on to the Australian Derby. The winner of the Rosehill Guineas receives ballot exemption from the Australian Derby.
The Rosehill Guineas has not been won by a filly since 1989, although the Rosehill Guineas is usually bypassed by trainers with a filly under there watch.
2021 Rosehill Guineas result
Recent Rosehill Guineas winners
- Star three-year-old colt Anamoe had just five rivals to get the better of in the Rosehill Guineas, and he did so in emphatic style. With Spring Champion Stakes winner Profondo bounding along out in front, he was always going to tire late and it left the race perfectly for Anamoe to run straight past him. When asked to quicken by James McDonald at the 300m mark, Anamoe would go on to put six lengths on Randwick Guineas back in second and further solidify his stance as the season’s best three-year-old. Read our full recap of the 2022 Rosehill Guineas here.
- Punters still had faith in Mo’unga being the heavily backed favourite after the dissapointing second place run in the Randwick Guineas two weeks prior to the event. The punters were on the right track as he settled in the second half of the field until he was asked to give by jockey Tommmy Berry in a close five-way dash to the posts where the three-year-old horse produced the win by .2 of a length giving Annabel Neasham her first group one win on the books.
- On the back of a huge run in the Cox Plate in the spring, Castelvecchio got his deserved Group 1 victory in the Rosehill Guineas. On a day where it favoured on-speed runners, Craig Williams took the usual back marker to the first half of the field and when asked for an effort managed to keep his rivals at bay to bring up a deserved Group 1 victory. Only Prince Fawaz managed to give Castelvecchio a scare, getting to within a half length of the colt.
- Having come from the clouds to take out the Randwick Guineas, The Autumn Sun was sent around as a short priced favourite in the Rosehill Guineas. Having been trapped wide without cover early on Kerrin McEvoy managed to find the colt some cover midfield. When cornering The Autumn Sun quickly pounced on the leader Arrogant. Arrogant however wasn’t going down without a fight and through the home straight the pair went stride for stride before The Autumn Sun prevailed to score by a head on the line.
- Having been touted as a promising colt throughout the early stages of his career, D’Argento certainly had not been a punters pal. However, he rewarded his loyal following when proving dominant in the Rosehill Guineas. Having been well beaten in the Randwick Guineas a fortnight earlier, trainer Chris Waller had doubts he would see out the 2000m. See it out he did, handing a Group 1 double to Hugh Bowman and Chris Waller on the day.
- With co-trainer Jamie Richards on course the ever popular Gingernuts managed to put in one hell of a performance to take out the Rosehill Guineas. Under a perfect ride from Opie Bosson the kiwi raider kicked clear with 300m to go sustaining a healthy margin down to the winning post and stamping his claims for a tilt at the Australian Derby.
- Having taken out the VRC Derby in the spring, Tarzino under a pearler of a ride from Craig Newitt rewarded favourite backers who took the $3.10. The Mick Price colt was a touch unlucky in the Randwick Guineas, but having settled closer to the speed this time round, he proved too hard to hold out and got the job done with relative ease.
Previous winners of the Rosehill Guineas
|Rosehill Guineas Past Winners|
|2022||Anamoe||James McDonald||James Cummings|
|2021||Mo’unga||Tommy Berry||Annabel Neasham|
|2020||Castelvecchio||Craig Williams||Richard Litt|
|2019||The Autumn Sun||Kerrin McEvoy||Chris Waller|
|2018||D’Argento||Hugh Bowman||Chris Waller|
|2017||Gingernuts||Opie Bosson||Stephen Autridge & Jamie Richards|
|2016||Tarzino||Craig Newitt||Mick Price|
|2015||Volkstock’n’barrell||Craig Williams||Donna Logan|
|2014||Criterion||Hugh Bowman||David Payne|
|2013||It’s A Dundeel||James McDonald||Murray Baker|
|2012||Laser Hawk||Nash Rawiller||Gai Waterhouse|
|2011||Jimmy Choux||Jonathan Riddell||John Bary|
|2010||Zabrasive||Nash Rawiller||John O’Shea|
|2009||Metal Bender||Danny Nikoloc||Jack Denham|
|2008||Dealer Principal||Peter Robl||Anthony Cummings|
|2007||He’s No Pie Eater||Hugh Bowman||Graeme Rogerson|
|2006||De Beers||Craig Williams||David Hayes|
|2005||Eremein||Corey Brown||Allan Denham|
|2004||Niello||Darren Beadman||John Hawkes|
|2003||Helenus||Steven King||Leon Corstens|
|2002||Carnegie Express||Larry Cassidy||Gai Waterhouse|
|2001||Sale Of The Century||Larry Cassidy||John Hawkes|
|2000||Diatribe||Jim Cassidy||George Hanlon|
Rosehill Guineas Past Winners Pre 2000
|Rosehill Guineas Past Winners Pre 2000|
|1998||Tie The Knot|
|1994||Star Of Maple|
|1985||Spirit Of Kingston|
|1982||Isle Of Man|
|1981||Deck The Halls|
|1978||RACE NOT HELD|
|1954||Pride Of Egypt|