Group One Betting Guide
|Date:||February 26, 2022|
THE Group 1 Australian Guineas is run at Flemington racecourse for three-year-olds, which is run at set weights, over the distance of 1600 metres.
The race is run during the autumn carnival and draws some of the best three-year-olds in the nation to Melbourne for the $1,000,000 prize money.
The Australian Guineas has been hosted by two different tracks in its 31 year history. Racing at Flemington, the only time the Australian Guineas has been held anywhere else was in 1997 when Caulfield held the event due to course renovations.
The race gained group one status one year after its inception after starting its history as a group three event.
The Australian Guineas is typically dominated by the colts. Only three fillies in the history of the race have gone on to win it.
2022 Australian Guineas betting odds
Markets for the 2022 Australian Guineas are currently unavailable, but as soon as they are released then the team at Horse Betting will bring them to you as they come to hand.
Best Australian Guineas bookmakers
The bookmakers open all-in markets on the Australian Guineas weeks in advance. In the week leading up to the race however tote markets and fixed odds become readily available across the board.
Here are some of our favourite bookmakers to bet on the Guineas.
Australian Guineas Betting Guide
The Australian Guineas is a male-dominated race.
Since its inception in 1986, just three fillies have saluted in the race, Mystic Journey in 2019, Mosheen back in 2012 and Shamrocker, which got the job done in 2011.
In addition to that, the outside barriers have been a disastrous place to be in the Guineas. Mosheen became the first horse in 30 years to win from a double figure barrier. With barrier two proving the most successful, with seven winners saluting from barrier two.
2021 Australian Guineas result
Recent Australian Guineas winners
- When a runner is sent around as a $251 chance in a Group 1, they generally have no chance to even beat a single runner home. However, Lunar Fox floored the punting world when getting the job done at $251 when holding out the likes of Cherry Tortoni and Tagaloa. Having finished 13 lengths off Tagaloa in the CS Hayes Stakes, it was a remarkable turn around of form for the Paul Preusker-trained colt.
- It was a Tasmanian Guineas in 2019 as Mystic Journey continued her brilliant run of form. Hawkshot speared out to an early lead in the race and lead the field for the majority of the contest but when the leader shifted out Mystic Journey took the inside run and speared away to record a dominant victory. Hawkshot stayed on strongly to finish second and subsequently booked a wildcard spot in the All-Star Mile.
- Grunt claimed the first of two Group 1 titles in 2018 in the Australian Guineas in typical fighting fashion. Striking the front late in the piece, Grunt fought off a late challenge from the Darren Weir-trained Peaceful State to cling to a terrific win. The galloper would go on to claim the Group 1 Makybe Diva Stakes later in the year.
- Hey Doc became Cox Plate-winning trainer Tony McEvoy’s first group 1 winner since 2004 with a convincing victory. Hey Doc took the early initiative and pushed forward, before jockey Luke Currie found a nice run to the line, firstly gaining a nice break, before holding on for dear life to defeat Prized Icon and Snitzson. Read a full report.
- It was one of the strongest fields we have seen in an Australian Guineas and the race did not disappoint. Superstar Palentino came down the outside in a veritable who’s who of the three-year-old scene and just claimed the prize ahead of Tarzino and Jameka. Read a full report.
- Gai Waterhouse-trained Wandjina put on a front-running display that will go down in Australian Guineas folklore. With the more favoured pair Stratum Star and Alpine Eagle hitting the line strongly Wandjina found a kick late to ensure the prize money would go back to Sydney.
Previous winners of the Australian Guineas
|Australian Guineas Past Winners|
|2021||Lunar Fox||Michael Dee||Paul Preusker|
|2020||Alligator Blood||Ryan Maloney||David Vandyke|
|2019||Mystic Journey||Anthony Darmanin||Adam Trinder|
|2018||Grunt||Damien Oliver||Mick Price|
|2017||Hey Doc||Luke Currie||Tony McEvoy|
|2016||Palentino||Mark Zahra||Darren Weir|
|2015||Wandjina||Brett Prebble||Gai Waterhouse|
|2014||Shamus Award||Craig Williams||Danny O’Brien|
|2013||Ferlax||Stephen Baster||Jim Conlan|
|2012||Mosheen||Danny Nikolic||Robert Smerdon|
|2011||Shamrocker||Glen Boss||Danny O’Brien|
|2010||Rock Classic||Michael Rodd||Bart Cummings|
|2009||Heart Of Dreams||Craig Newitt||Mick Price|
|2008||Light Fantastic||Craig Newitt||Mick Price|
|2007||Miss Finland||Craig Williams||David Hayes|
|2006||Apache Cat||Noel Callow||Greg Eurell|
|2005||Al Maher||Noel Callow||Gai Waterhouse|
|2004||Reset||Danny Nikolic||Graeme Rogerson|
|2003||Delago Brom||Patrick Payne||Tommy Hughes|
|2002||Dash For Cash||Scott Seamer||Rick Hore-Lacy|
|2001||Mr Murphy||Damien Oliver||Lee Freedman|
|2000||Pins||Shane Dye||Clarry Connors|
|1999||Dignity Dancer||Jim Cassidy||Bill Mitchell|
|1998||Gold Guru||Greg Childs||Leon Macdonald|
|1997||Mouawad||Grant Cooksley||Clarry Conners|
|1996||Flying Spur||Damien Oliver||Lee Freedman|
|1995||Baryshnikov||Jim Cassidy||Kerry Jordan|
|1994||Mahogany||Greg Hall||Lee Freedman|
|1993||Kenny’s Best Pal||Greg Childs||Rick Hore-Lacy|
|1992||Jolly Old Mac||Darren Gauci||John Sadler|
|1991||Triscay||Mick Dittman||Jack Denham|
|1990||Zabeel||Michael Clarke||David Hayes|
|1989||King’s High||Gary Clarke||David Hayes|
|1988||Flotilla||Greg Hall||Jack Denham|
|1987||Military Plume||Michael Clarke||Colin Hayes|
|1986||True Version||Darren Gauci||Angus Armanasco|