All Star Mile
|Date:||Saturday March 16, 2024|
The All Star Mile is a special conditions race for middle distance horses.
Raced at WFA conditions during the Autumn Racing Carnival in Melbourne, the race is ran over the mile and will be rotated year-to-year across the city’s top-tier tracks Flemington, Caulfield and Moonee Valley.
The unique aspect of this event is the fact that racing fans will dictate which horses run in the All Star Mile. The punters will vote in ten of the fourteen horses to run in the race with four slots reserved for wild card entry.
The inaugural All Star Mile was ran on March 16, 2019 at Flemington.
2024 All Star Mile betting odds
Markets for the 2024 All Star Mile are currently unavailable.
Best bookmakers for the All Star Mile
The bookmakers were keen to get involved straight away with the All Star Mile and very few hesitated when it came to installing markets on the event.
Below you can find a list of the online bookmakers you can trust, all of which have comprehensive reviews.
Latest All Star Mile Headlines
Nomination process for the All Star Mile
The All-Star Mile is a race like no other in Australia, with the public choosing the horses that will line up – their ‘All-Stars’. With a prize pool of $5m, it is officially the richest mile race in the world. The All-Star Mile is rotated around Melbourne’s three premier racetracks: Flemington, Caulfield and Moonee Valley.
To be eligible to be nominated, a horse must have met the following minimum performance criteria between 1 February, 2021 and the close of nominations on 10, January 2022: placed first, second or third in a Group or Listed race; OR have earned $20,000 or more placing first, second or third in a flat race.
In addition, a three-year-old requires a minimum Victorian rating of 70 at the close of nominations to be eligible to run. Four-year-olds and upwards require a minimum Victorian rating of 80 at the close of nominations to be eligible to run.
Winners of the Group 1 Futurity Stakes and Group 2 Blamey Stakes gain ballot exemption into the race, whilst a Racing Victoria panel selects four wild card entrants into the richest mile race on turf in the world.
2024 All Star Mile Final Field
Horsebetting.com.au will update this page when the 2024 All Star Mile field is released.
Previous All Star Mile Fields
No. Silks Horse Trainer Jockey Barrier Weight 1 I’m Thunderstruck Mick Price & Michael Kent (Jnr) Daniel Moor 5 59kg 2 Alligator Blood Gai Waterhouse & Adrian Bott Blake Shinn 7 59kg 3 Cascadian James Cummings Ben Melham 14 59kg 4 Mr Brightside Ben & JD Hayes Luke Currie 2 59kg 5 So Si Bon Ben & JD Hayes Harry Coffey 15 59kg 6 Laws Of Indices Annabel Neasham Oisin Murphy 6 59kg 7 Aegon Andrew Forsman Blaike McDougall 8 59kg 8 Alenquer Mike Moroney Jordan Childs 9 59kg 9 The Inevitable Scott Brunton David Pires 3 59kg 10 My Oberon Annabel Neasham Jamie Mott 11 59kg 11 Gentleman Roy Ben & JD Hayes Daniel Stackhouse 10 59kg 12 Pounding Peter Moody Luke Nolen 12 59kg 13 Nugget Ciaron Maher & David Eustace Damien Oliver 1 59kg 14 Keats Gavin Bedggood Craig Newitt 4 59kg 15 Sheeza Belter Peter & Paul Snowden William Pike 13 54kg 16 The Fortune Teller (1E) Ciaron Maher & David Eustace TBC TBC 56kg No. Silks Horse Trainer Jockey Barrier Weight 1 I’m Thunderstruck Mick Price & Michael Kent Jr Jye McNeil 1 59kg 2 Zaaki Annabel Neasham Jamie Kah 15 59kg 3 Cascadian James Cummings Damien Oliver 6 59kg 4 Streets Of Avalon Shane Nichols Zac Spain 3 59kg 5 Lunar Fox Paul Preusker Craig Newitt 14 59kg 6 King Magnus Robbie Griffiths & Mathew de Kock Lachlan King 5 59kg 7 Callsign Mav Danny O’Brien Ben Allen 10 59kg 8 Mr Brightside Ben & JD Hayes Craig Williams 2 59kg 9 Icebath Brad Widdup Fred Kersley 9 57kg 10 Tofane Jamie Mott Mike Moroney 7 57kg 11 Sierra Sue Trent Busuttin & Natalie Young John Allen 13 57kg 12 Inspirational Girl Danny O’Brien Damian Lane 4 57kg 13 Captivant Peter & Paul Snowden Patrick Moloney 11 56kg 14 Lightsaber Peter Moody Luke Nolen 12 56kg 15 Pinstriped Enver Jusufovic Michael Dee 8 56kg No. Silks Horse Trainer Jockey Barrier Weight 1 Sir Dragonet Ciaron Maher & David Eustace William Pike 9 59kg 2 Behemoth David Jolly Craig Williams 1 59kg 3 Streets Of Avalon Shane Nichols Zac Spain 14 59kg 4 Mr Quickie Phillip Stokes Jamie Kah 13 59kg 5 Star Of The Seas Chris Waller Mark Zahra 12 59kg 6 Mugatoo Kris Lees Hugh Bowman 8 59kg 7 The Harrovian Toby & Trent Edmonds Brad Stewart 7 59kg 8 Regalo Di Gaetano Richard & Chantelle Jolly Luke Nolen 6 59kg 9 Russian Camelot Danny O’Brien Damien Oliver 2 58.5kg 10 Arcadia Queen Grant & Alana Williams N/A 5 57kg 11 Probabeel Damian Lane Jamie Richards 10 57kg 12 Shout The Bar Gai Waterhouse & Adrian Bott Michael Walker 3 57kg 13 Greysful Glamour Mark Newnham Jye McNeil 11 57kg 14 Still A Star Bill Ryan Brendon Mccoull 15 57kg 15 Lunar Fox Paul Preusker Noel Callow 4 56kg 16 Fifty Stars John Allen Tom Dabernig & Ben Hayes 5 59kg No. Silks Horse Trainer Jockey Barrier Weight 1 Kolding Chris Waller Hugh Bowman 7 59kg 2 Black Heart Bart Lindsey Smith Brad Rawiller 6 59kg 3 Fierce Impact Matthew Smith Craig Williams 12 59kg 4 Regal Power Grant & Alana Williams William Pike 3 59kg 5 Streets Of Avalon Shane Nichols Ben Melham 11 59kg 6 So Si Bon David & Ben Hayes & Tom Dabernig Luke Nolen 9 59kg 7 Mr Quickie Phillip Stokes Damien Oliver 4 59kg 8 Star Missile Greg Eurell Craig Newitt 2 59kg 9 Melody Belle Jamie Richards Opie Bosson 5 57kg 10 Aristia Mathew Ellerton & Simon Zahra Dwayne Dunn 8 57kg 11 Alligator Blood David Vandyke Ryan Maloney 10 56kg 12 Dalasan Leon Macdonald & Andrew Gluyas Jamie Kah 13 56kg 13 Superstorm Grant & Alana Williams Mark Zahra 14 56kg 14 Heart Of Puissance Ciaron Maher & David Eustace John Allen 1 56kg 15 Flit James Cummings Damian Lane 15 54kg No. Silks Horse Trainer Jockey Barrier Weight 1 Happy Clapper Patrick Webster Blake Shinn 9 59kg 2 Hartnell James Cummings William Buick 2 59kg 3 Material Man Justin Warwick Lucy Warwick 10 59kg 4 Grunt Mick Price Damien Oliver 15 59kg 5 Moss ‘N’ Dale Peter Gelagotis Jack Martin 6 59kg 6 Foundry Terry Kelly John Allen 17 59kg 7 Man Of His Word Dean Krongold Damien Thornton 18 59kg 8 Balf’s Choice Ryan Balfour Simon Price 3 59kg 9 Mr Money Bags Robbie Griffiths Ben Melham 5 59kg 10 Urban Ruler Chris Munce Jamie Mott 8 59kg 11 Alizee James Cummings Hugh Bowman 12 57kg 12 Hawkshot David & Ben Hayes & Tom Dabernig Mark Zahra 4 56kg 13 Mystic Journey Adam Trinder Anthony Darmanin 16 54kg 14 Amphitrite David & Ben Hayes & Tom Dabernig Craig Williams 14 54kg 15 Le Romain Kris Lees Dwayne Dunn 1 59kg
2022 All-Star Mile result
Previous Runnings of All Star Mile
- It was emotional scenes all around at Moonee Valley as Luke Currie and the Ben & JD Hayes yard have combined with Mr Brightside to take out the All Star Mile. Mr Brightside got a perfect run throughout the $5,000,000 feature as Luke Currie patiently cleared a path with 400m to go. It was Keats and Gentleman Roy who powered across to set alight an intense tempo for the backmarkers to sprint off and it played into the eventual winners hands, biding his time in behind the speed, before peeling off the back of race favourite Alligator Blood to get in before some late challengers. Both Cascadian and The Inevitable were enormous from near enough to last flying home looking to spoil the party for Luke Currie and connections of Mr Brightside, but it all came too late with Mr Brightside off and gone with the prize.
- Having been scratched from the 2021 Cox Plate, the Annabel Neasham-trained Zaaki showed he is perhaps Australia’s best horse when claiming the All Star Mile. Despite drawing the widest barrier in the 15-horse field, Jamie Kah had him settled outside the leader within the first 300m and from that point on the race was as good as over. When asked for an effort at the top of the straight, Zaaki was quick to put a gap on his rivals and managed to kick clear to hold off the fast finishing I’m Thunderstruck by 1.5 lengths, with rank outsider Streets Of Avalon rounding out the trifecta.
- Following the drama of race favourite Arcadia Queen being scratched on race morning, it was the Kris Lees-trained Mugatoo who claimed All Star Mile glory. The rain arrived just in time for the former import, with the conditions suiting him perfectly compared to a rival like Probabeel who simply could not handle the going. It was a battle for the ages down the home straight, with Damien Oliver and Russian Camelot going stride for stride with Mugatoo and Hugh Bowman. However, it was the latter who managed to got the better of his rival, with Mugatoo pulling away over the final 50m. With a massive crowd at The Valley, the 2021 edition of the All Star Mile was declared the best one yet.
- Following a narrow second place finish in the Australian Cup the week prior, Grant & Alana Williams decided to back Regal Power up into the All Star Mile and boy did the decision pay off. Under a positive ride from William Pike, the Perth-based galloper ambled up alongside race favourite Alligator Blood and flew past him inside the final furlong to win with a relative ease. Regal Power managed to fend off his rivals, including stablemate Superstorm who flashed home to finish second handing Grant & Alana Williams a stable quinella in the All Star Mile.
- Having taken out the Australian Guineas fortnight earlier, three-year-old filly Mystic Journey took out the inaugural running of the All Star Mile. The little filly from Tasmania showed she had a massive will to win having travelled three wide with no cover the entire event, but inside the the final 100m really knuckled down to hold out the fast finishing Hartnell and got the race off on a positive note for favourite backers, having saluted as a $3.60 favourite.
All-Star Mile past winners
|All Star MilePast Winners|
|2023||Mr Brightside||Luke Currie||Ben & JD Hayes|
|2022||Zaaki||Jamie Kah||Annabel Neasham|
|2021||Mugatoo||Hugh Bowman||Kris Lees|
|2020||Regal Power||William Pike||Grant & Alana Williams|
|2019||Mystic Journey||Anthony Darmanin||Adam Trinder|