NZ Thoroughbred Breeders Stakes
Group One Betting Guide
|Date:||Saturday, April 16, 2022|
|Location:||Te Rapa Racecourse|
THE New Zealand Thoroughbred Breeders Stakes is a premier-graded weight-for-age race held at Te Aroha in April.
The 1600m group one is considered one of the highlights of the New Zealand racing calendar and it has been taken out by some of the best local thoroughbreds.
Te Aroha Racetrack is one of the lesser-known tracks for punters, but it’s ability to withstand wet conditions makes it the perfect autumn scene.
Betting on the Thoroughbred Breeders Stakes is always popular with punters and markets are typically released during the week of the race.
2022 NZ Thoroughbred Breeders Stakes betting odds
Markets for the 2022 NZ Thoroughbred Breeders Stakes are currently unavailable.
Best NZ Thoroughbred Breeders Stakes bookmakers
Punters from all over the world can bet on New Zealand horse racing and the following bookmakers offer markets for all thoroughbred meetings.
Fixed odds markets will open during the week of the NZ Thoroughbred Breeders Stakes.
Latest NZ Thoroughbred Breeders Stakes news
2022 NZ Thoroughbred Breeders Stakes result
Recent NZ Thoroughbred Breeders Stakes winners
- Avantage picked up her ninth and final Group 1 success when saluting as an odds-on market elect in what was arguably one of the races of the year. Despite being delayed a week, the margin between the first three across the line was just 0.3 of a length with Coventina Bay and Travelling Light dead-heating for second. The win was Avantage’s 16th in 27 starts and took her prizemoney to $2.2 million and further’s her legacy as one of the greatest mares to come out of New Zealand.
- Nicoletta delivered a surprising result in the 2019 Thoroughbred Breeders’ Stakes at huge odds of $34 in a performance that broke a spell of almost results in Group 1 events. Under a brilliant ride by Aussie Jake Bayliss, Nicoletta was taken to the front and battled out bravely to hold out fast-closing Supera and Australian visitor Luvaluva in a red-hot finish to the race.
- It was the Aussies that triumphed in 2018 as former Victorian galloper Miss Wilson delivered a famous win. After finishing fourth in the race 12 months prior, the horse jumped well to sit behind the tearaway leaders Ruud Not Too and Nicoletta before reeling them in 250m from home.
- Charmont delivered a win for Andrew Forsman and Murray Baker in the 2017 Thoroughbred Breeders’. After settling midfield the horse had to check off heels midway down the straight and was pushed along hard but drove to the line in superb fashion to topple Thee Auld Floozie and a fast-finishing Mime.
- There was plenty of money invested in Perfect Fit and it did the job for punters. The Ken and Bev Kelso-trained mare was backed into $3.70 to beat the field of 15 and although the winning margin wasn’t big (neck) the punters were crowing. It didn’t have all favours from barrier 15, but jockey Michael Coleman took his chances and held on from the fast finishing Abidewithme. The disappointment of the race came from top filly Recite which was pulled up during the run.
- The powerful stable of Murray Baker and Andrew Forsman struck the Breeders Stakes quinella in 2015 with Diademe and Sports Illustrated. There was only a neck separating the two quality runners, but punters were more in favour of Sports Illustrated which finished second its stablemate. Diademe paid $13.30 to win and the trifecta paid big money with Abidewithme running another placing at odds of $26.
- Punters had plenty to cheer about with the well-supported Viadana scoring easily by two lengths. The Lance Noble-trained runner was a $3.60 chance after showing good form throughout the lead-up races and it held off Recite and the Australian-performed Chintz. Considering the track was perfectly rated, there was only 10 runners in the field which also included 2013 champion Xanadu and Fix.
- Xanadu was another well-favoured winner of the Breeders Stakes when winning in 2013. The Kelso-trained runner was backed into $3.90 with bookmakers and it never really looked like being beaten. It cruised past Twilight Granita and 2015 winner Diademe with ease and it really relished the damp conditions. The form to come out of the race was solid with Quintessential and Fleur de Lune performing well throughout their career.
- Trainer Paul Duncan scored one of his most famous wins with Say No More in 2012. It was supported at each way odds of $7, but jockey Rosie Myers had her work cut out from barrier 15. The apprentice got everything out of Say No More to score by a nose over Fleur de Lune and Xanadu. The quality field included some nice types which would later perform in Australia.
NZ Thoroughbred Breeders Stakes past winners list
|NZ Thoroughbred Breeders Stakes Past Winners|
|2021||Avantage||Danielle Johnson||Jamie Richards|
|2020||Race Not Held|
|2019||Nicoletta||Jake Bayliss||Murray Baker & Andrew Forsman|
|2018||Miss Wilson||Vincent Colgan||John Bary|
|2017||Charmont||Matt Cameron||Murray Baker & Andrew Forsman|
|2016||Perfect Fit||Michael Coleman||Ken & Bev Kelso|
|2015||Diademe||Jonathan Riddell||Murray Baker & Andrew Forsman|
|2014||Viadana||Craig Grylls||Lance Noble|
|2013||Xanadu||Michael Coleman||Ken & Bev Kelso|
|2012||Say No More||Rosie Myers||Paul Duncan|
|2011||Barinka||Hayden Tinsley||Kelvin Zimmerman|
|2010||Juice||Hayden Tinsley||John Wheeler|
|2009||Dane Julia||Michael Walker||Lee Freedman|
|2008||Special Mission||James McDonald||Peter McKay|
|2007||Captivate||Sam Spratt||Stephen McKee|
|2006||Arlingtonboulevard||Jason Waddell||Mark Walker|
|2005||Rockabubble||Ben Jones||Tony Cole|
|2004||Surprize Surprize||Grant Cooksley||Kevin Hughes|
|2003||Zirna||Andrew Calder||David Walsh|
|2002||Saint Cecile||David Walsh||Nigel Auret|
|2001||Saint Cecile||Lisa Mumby||Nigel Auret|
|2000||Tall Poppy||John Walker||Noel Eales|