New Zealand 1000 Guineas
Group One Betting Guide
|Date:||November 16, 2019|
|Location:||Riccarton Park Racecourse|
THE New Zealand 1000 Guineas is a set-weights group one race held at Riccarton racecourse in Christchurch, New Zealand for three-year-old fillies over the distance of 1600m.
The New Zealand 1000, which complements the 2000 Guineas which is run a week prior, first began in 1973 and are based off the England equivalent that is ran at Newbury every year in May.
Held on the final Saturday of Christchurch’s New Zealand Cup Week in November, and $300,000 is on offer.
The New Zealand 1000 Guineas is one of the key events on the Kiwi racing calendar and routinely draws the best fillies in the country. The winner of the race invariably goes on to claim Filly of the Year honours.
Best New Zealand 1000 Guineas bookmakers
Being one of the showpiece events of the New Zealand racing calendar, great precedence is shown to both the 1000 and 2000 editions of the New Zealand Guineas.
Habitually the fillies that will take part in these races are known to many racing enthusiasts well before the race takes place, so all-in markets feature heavily for any bookmakers that take their craft seriously.
Regular tote and fixed odds pools are usually available for betting three to four days prior to the start time.
The bookmakers we trust the most are listed below and we suggest that any punter that is interested in betting on the New Zealand 1000 Guineas to visit up any one of these sites:
2018 New Zealand 1000 Guineas result
Betting on the New Zealand 1000 Guineas
The best fillies in the country are typically known prior to the running of the 1000, so it is seldom that we see an absolute bolter come from the clouds to take out the race.
In the period between 2016 and 2010, the only double figure winner came in 2014 when Platinum Witness took out the event.
Alongside the key market elects putting in strong performances, winning form is extremely important leading into the New Zealand 1000 Guineas.
In the period between 2012 and 2016 just one horse (Platinum Witness, 2014) has won the previous start before taking out the New Zealand 1000 Guineas.
Recent New Zealand 1000 Guineas winners
- Northern raider Media Sensation did the business for training due Peter and Dawn Williams in a race that unfolded beautifully for the filly despite a difficult lead in to the race. The training duo had to charter a special flight down south for their galloper, and it proved to be the right choice. Jockey Michael Coleman had Media Sensation travelling well beside pacemaker Wekaforce throughout the race before driving clear in the home straight to hold out the fast-finishing Valalie and race favourite Xpression.
- All the talk was with odds-on favourite Prom Queen, but former two-year-old star Hasahalo turned back the clock and recapture her best form. The Stephen McKee-trained filly came with a big run down the outside of runners to score an effortless win in the 1000 Guineas. Prom Queen was on the inside of runners, but it never looked likely. Dijon Bleu battled on well for second and outsider The Lustre boosted the trifecta payouts. Read report here.
- Short priced favourite La Bella Diosa justified the $2.50 price tag to take out the 1000 Guineas by over a length and a half. The filly went on to win its debut run in Australia just 15 weeks later but has yet to place in three subsequent races.
- Risque came into the 1000 Guineas in 2015 as a key market elect, and won the race easily as a $5.30 shot. Like La Bella Diosa, Risque went on to take out its Australian debut the very next start following the race but has yet to win since.
- It is not often that a long shot comes into the 1000 Guineas and takes out the race but that is exactly what Platinum Witness did in 2014. As an $11 shot the filly kicked away to win by over half a length, defying the recent trend of last start winners taking out the event.
Past New Zealand 1000 Guineas winners list
|Year||New Zealand 1000 Guineas Past Winner|
|2012||Rollout The Carpet|