New Zealand 2000 Guineas
Group One Betting Guide
|Date:||November 5, 2022|
|Location:||Riccarton Park Racecourse|
THE Group 1 New Zealand 2000 Guineas is one of the most important races on the New Zealand racing calendar.
Run over 1600m at Riccarton Park in November, the 2000 Guineas is held on the first day of New Zealand Cup Week – which features major thoroughbred, harness and greyhounds racing.
It’s a major race for punters and futures betting is extremely popular for the summer races. The 2000 Guineas has a rich history with attracting punters from all over the world and it’s not hard to see why.
Best NZ 2000 Guineas bookmakers
Notable NZ 2000 Guineas winners
There have been some great champions win the NZ 2000 Guineas, which includes New Zealand Derby winner Jimmy Choux, 1000 Guineas/2000 Guineas double winner Katie Lee and Darci Brahma.
The 2000 Guineas, ran the week before the NZ 1000 Guineas, is a stallion-making race and the big stables and studs all target the race to improve their potential stallion price.
Veandercross was a popular winner in 1991 and Surfer’s Paradise was a big winner for trainer Dave O’Sullivan before it had success in Australia.
Uncle Remus won in 1977, but before that victory came the famous win of Balermino in 1975. Balmerino was one of New Zealand’s finest ever racehorses and its win helped pave the reputation the 2000 Guineas currently has.
Other popular winners include Rock’n’Pop, Tell A Tale and King’s Chapal – which were all raced by Te Akau Stud.
2020 New Zealand 2000 Guineas result
Recent NZ 2000 Guineas results
- From winning his maiden on debut on August 12, to winning the Group 1 New Zealand 2000 Guineas at start three on November 7, Aegon is certainly a horse on the rise. The Murray Baker and Andrew Forsman-trained son of Sacred Falls made it three wins from as many starts when producing a sharp turn of foot in the home straight and holding off the fast finishing Bourbonaire, with the pair going stride for stride over the final 200m. The win handed trainers Baker and Forsman a second win in the race in the past three years and four of the last eight editions.
- In the lead up to the 2019 New Zealand 2000 Guineas, Catalyst was deemed to be one of the best three-year-olds in the Southern Hempisphere and he certainly lived up to that hype. Despite being slow away at barrier release, the Clayton Chipperfield-trained son of Darci Brahma put some three-lengths on with 200m to go and never looked in doubt. The win made it five wins from six starts, with plenty expected for the three-year-old during the upcoming Australian Autumn Carnivals.
- Gun three-year-old Madison County saluted as a short-priced favourite in the 2018 edition of the race for champion trainers Andrew Forsman and Murray Baker. Settling just off the speed it looked like it could be disastrous for the champion three-year-old as he got pocketed nearing the 400m. Madison County found daylight eventually and surged past a brave Dawn Patrol to claim his maiden Group 1 win.
- Champion Kiwi jockey had a chance to pilot either Gingernuts or Embellish heading into the 2017 New Zealand 2000 Guineas and his faith was rewarded after taking the ride on the winner. The talented colt tackled competitor Ever Loyal mid-way down the straight before holding off his stablemates to win the three-year-old feature.
- Ugo Foscolo had been in form for most of its preparation, but that form tapered off a touch leading into the 2000 Guineas. The Stephen Marsh-trained gelding turned that form around in smart fashion by recording a 1.25-length win. The zon of Zacinto sat on the speed and kicked strongly to see off the challenge from Savile Row and Heroic Valour. Included in the field was the quality Hall Of Fame and also Jon Snow, which subsequently went to Australia and performed at the highest level.
- Xtravagant was one of the most impressive group one winners in New Zealand racing history when it scored by over eight lengths in 2015. The highly-geared son of Pentire showed an incredible turn-of-foot around the home turn and quickly put multiple lengths on the field. The $4.20 chance showed all of its usual ability in destroying a field that didn’t have many household names, but the margin of victory was impressive all the same.
- Turn Me Loose was one of the best three-year-old’s to come out of New Zealand and perform in Australia, following its three lengths win in the 2000 Guineas. The Baker/Forsman-trained colt had the class factor coming into the race and the odds of $2.60 represented that. Opie Bosson had a relatively easy ride aboard the colt before it exploded away for the win. No other runners in the 2014 edition were considered good enough to travel overseas.
- Atlante was the first of consecutive winners for the Baker/Forsman team and it had to beat a handy field. The Fastnet Rock three-year-old was the firm $3.20 favourite heading into the race and many punters top pick, but it came up against the likes of New Zealand Derby winner Puccini, Sacred Park and the highly-touted Chambord. Atlante would later race in Australia and have moderate success in Melbourne.
- Sacred Falls scored one of the closest finishes in recent history when winning by a head over Oasis Rose, but it would later become one of NZ’s best exports. The Tony Pike-trained three-year-old was the short $1.60 favourite to win and given that it would later win two Group 1 Doncaster Handicaps in Australia, the money was spot on. The son of O’Reilly would carve out a great career and showed just how important winning the 2000 Guineas can be.
Past New Zealand 2000 Guineas winners list
|New Zealand 2000 Guineas Past Winners|
|2020||Aegon||Leith Innes||Murray Baker & Andrew Forsman|
|2019||Catalyst||Troy Harris||Clayton Chipperfield|
|2018||Madison County||Matt Cameron||Murray Baker & Andrew Forsman|
|2017||Embellish||Opie Bosson||Stephen Autridge|
|2016||Ugo Foscolo||Michael Coleman||Stephen Marsh|
|2015||Xtravagant||Matt Cameron||Stephen Autridge|
|2014||Turn Me Loose||Opie Bosson||Murray Baker & Andrew Forsman|
|2013||Atlante||Opie Bosson||Murray Baker & Andrew Forsman|
|2012||Sacred Falls||Leith Innes||Tony Pike & Mark Donoghue|
|2011||Rock ‘N’ Pop||Jamie Bullard||Jason Bridgman|
|2010||Jimmy Choux||Jonathan Riddell||John Bary|
|2009||Katie Lee||Opie Bosson||Graeme & Debbie Rogerson|
|2008||Tell A Tale||Troy Harris||Mark Walker|
|2007||The Pooka||Lisa Cropp||John Wheeler|
|2006||Magic Cape||Patrick Holmes||Shaune Ritchie|
|2005||Darci Brahma||Michael Walker||Mark Walker|
|2004||Clean Sweep||Michael Coleman||Mike Moroney & Andrew Scott|
|2003||King’s Chapel||Opie Bosson||Mark Walker|
|2002||Hustler||Noel Harris||Paul Harris|
|2001||Master Belt||Brian Hibberd||Kevin Gray|
|2000||Tit For Taat||Hayden Tinsley||Wayne Herbert|
New Zealand 2000 Guineas Past Winners Pre 2000
|New Zealand 2000 Guineas Past Winners Pre 2000|
|1993||Facing The Music|
|1979||Little Brown Jug|