Herbert Power Stakes
Group Two Betting Guide
|Date:||Saturday, October 12, 2024|
|Location:||Caulfield Racecourse – Melbourne, Victoria|
The Group 2 Herbert Power Stakes is horse race for stayers held annually at Caulfield Racecourse.
It was run over a mile to start with but gradually increased up to 2400m where it has been since 1920.
Run for $300,000 in 2023, the Herbert Power Stakes is one of the final chances for connections to earn direct qualification into the Group 1 Caulfield Cup (2400m) the following weekend.
The last horse to complete the Herbert Power/Caulfield Cup double was Master O’Reilly in 2007. In total the double has been completed seven times.
Notable winners of the Herbert Power Stakes include The Chosen One (2019), Yucatan (2018), Alcopop (2009), Master O’Reilly (2007), Leica Falcon (2005), Freemason (2001), Rogan Josh (1999), Great Vintage (1993), Aquidity (1992), Just A Dancer (1990), Congressman (1988), Rising Fast (1955), Eurythmic (1921), Poseidon (1906/1907) and Wakeful (1902/1903).
2024 Herbert Power Stakes Betting Odds
Odds for the 2024 Herbert Power Stakes are currently unavailable.
Best Herbert Power Stakes bookmakers
The Herbert Power Stakes isn’t one of the star races of the spring carnival, so online bookmakers won’t open early all-in markets. Bookmakers will open markets for the Herbert Power the week of the race, with these odds usually launching when the field is available.
Some Herbet Power Stakes betting sites will allow you to bet via the TAB in advance, which means you can wager without seeing what the current odds are, while as the race draws closer fixed odds will become available.
All of our recommended horse betting sites offer betting on the Herbert Power Stakes and bookmaker bonuses will also be available in the days leading up to the race. These horse racing betting sites generally have apps available for iOS and Android smartphones.
Latest Herbert Power Stakes News
2024 Herbert Power Stakes Final Field
HorseBetting will update this page when the 2024 Herbert Power Stakes final field is released.
Previous Herbert Power Stakes Field
No. Silks Horse Trainer Jockey Barrier Weight 1 Daqiansweet Junior Phillip Stokes Blake Shinn 5 58kg 2 Regal Power John Leek (Jnr) Arron Lynch 9 58kg 3 Kalapour Kris Lees Tim Clark 2 57kg 4 Military Mission Gai Waterhouse & Adrian Bott Joao Moreira 10 57kg 5 Mount Popa Michael, Wayne & John Hawkes Damien Oliver 8 56.5kg 6 Rebel Racer Amy & Ash Yargi Craig Newitt 4 53.5kg 7 Brayden Star Trent Busuttin & Natalie Young Daniel Moor 7 53kg 8 Carini Danny O’Brien Michael Dee 1 53kg 9 United Nations Ciaron Maher & David Eustace Dean Yendall 6 53kg 10 Ferago Patrick F Ryan Jnr Harry Grace 3 53kg No. Silks Horse Trainer Jockey Barrier Weight 1 Grand Promenade Ciaron Maher & David Eustace Mark Zahra 3 59kg 2 Persan Ciaron Maher & David Eustace Damian Lane 10 59kg 3 Sheraz Chris Waller Damien Oliver 9 59kg 4 Desert Icon Chris Waller James McDonald 1 58kg 5 Emissary Mike Moroney Jye McNeil 11 56kg 6 Makram Ben & JD Hayes Craig Williams 14 56kg 7 Schabau Robert Hickmott Ethan Brown 15 55.5kg 8 Point Nepean Robert Hickmott Michael Dee 6 55kg 9 Regal Lion Annabel Neasham Blaike McDougall 7 54.5kg 10 Attorney Matthew Smith Craig Newitt 12 53.5kg 11 Good Idea Phillip Stokes Michael Poy 4 53kg 12 Saracen Knight Danny O’Brien Jamie Kah 2 53kg 13 The Good Fight Mike Moroney Patrick Moloney 8 53kg 14 Tigertiger Rob Blacker Daniel Moor 5 53kg 15 Harmysian Clayton Douglas Damien Thornton 13 53kg
2023 Herbert Power Stakes result
Recent Herbert Power Stakes winners
- Gai Waterhouse & Adrian Bott appear to have another Cups contender, after their five-year-old gelding Military Mission ($8.00) claimed the Group 2 Herbert Power Stakes at Caulfield. After claiming the Group 3 Newcastle Gold Cup two starts back and running a huge race in the Group 1 The Metropolitan last start, the son of Mastercraftsman is hitting form at the right time of the spring and with his win in the Herbert Power, he will have to be considered a big chance in the Melbourne Cup, if he can get into the race. Joao Moreira allowed his mount to settle near the rear of the field and get into a rhythm for most of trip before asking for an effort at the 500m mark, and when the winner gave his effort, he quickly started to gobble up the slowing leaders. With the race favourite Carini ($2.40) on the fence with nowhere to go, Moreira hit the go button and continued his wide run before taking the front at the 200m mark and record a strong victory.United Nations ($6.50) and Ferago ($61.00) battled it out for the placings, but they weren’t strong enough to go with the winner over the final 200m.
- Despite not nominating for the Caulfield Cup, the Danny O’Brien-trained Saracen Knight made a mess of Caulfield Cup hopefuls in the 2022 Herbert Power Stakes. Aided by a perfect steer from Jamie Kah, Saracen Knight justified his favourite take when putting a length on Makram ($21) and Desert Icon ($8), who was a further head away in third. The win handed Danny O’Brien his first win in the racing since 2007 after Master O’Reilly reigned supreme 15 years prior. The win ensured Saracen Knight was finally making a good fist of his career after being lost in the wilderness over the past 12 months with his penchant for soft tracks.
- Having finished second in the Group 3 Naturalism Stakes, the Anthony & Sam Freedman-trained Delphi went one better to claim the Herbert Power Stakes and book his spot in the Caulfield Cup. Jockey Damien Oliver again did favourite backers a favour after winning the Caulfield Guineas on favourite Anamoe two races earlier. Oliver went for home before the home turn before Delphi ($1.95 fav) held The Chosen One ($11) to score by a length.
- Chapada won his way into the Caulfield Cup when he scored impressively in the Group 2 Herbert Power, getting the better of Orderofthegarter. Having run second to Orderofthegarter in the Naturalism Stakes, the Mike Moroney-trained Chapada managed to turn the tables on his rivals in the “win and you’re in” qualifier. Having claimed the Herbert Power Stakes in 2002 with The Secondmortgage, it took Moroney 18 years to taste success in one of the more iconic Group 2 races on the Australian horse racing calendar.
- In an impressive display of staying power, The Chosen One, a Kiwi stayer, secured a coveted spot in the Caulfield Cup and teetering on the brink of a potential Melbourne Cup run. This achievement follows a commanding performance in the Group 2 Herbert Power Stakes at Caulfield. The stakes were raised even before the race commenced as the favoured Steel Prince suffered an injury, cutting a leg in the barriers and subsequently being withdrawn. This unforeseen event cast doubt on Steel Prince’s Melbourne Cup campaign, despite being exempt from the ballot. Guided skillfully by jockey Damian Lane, The Chosen One saw his odds tighten from $9 to $6.50. He clinched victory by a margin of half a length over Prince Of Arran ($8.50), with Sully ($9.50) trailing a further three lengths behind in third place.
Herbert Power Stakes winners
|Herbert Power Stakes Past Winners|
|2023||Military Mission||Joao Moreira||Gai Waterhouse & Adrian Bott|
|2022||Saracen Knight||Jamie Kah||Danny O’Brien|
|2021||Delphi||Damien Oliver||Anthony & Sam Freedman|
|2020||Chapada||Daniel Stackhouse||Mike Moroney|
|2019||The Chosen One||Damian Lane||Murray Baker & Andrew Forsman|
|2018||Yucatan||James McDonald||Aidan O’Brien|
|2017||Lord Fandango||Ben Allen||Archie Alexander|
|2016||Assign||Katelyn Mallyon||Robert Hickmott|
|2015||Amralah||Hugh Bowman||Robert Hickmott|
|2014||Big Memory||Tommy Berry||Tony McEvoy|
|2013||Sea Moon||Hugh Bowman||Robert Hickmott|
|2012||Shahwardi||Kerrin McEvoy||Alain de Royer Dupre|
|2011||Tanby||Nicholas Hall||Robert Hickmott|
|2010||Linton||Nicholas Hall||Robert Hickmott|
|2009||Alcopop||Domenic Tourneur||Jake Stephens|
|2008||Dolphin Jo||Clare Lindop||Terry & Karina O’Sullivan|
|2007||Master O’Reilly||Vlad Duric||Danny O’Brien|
|2006||Growl||Craig Williams||David Hayes|
|2005||Leica Falcon||Craig Williams||Richard Freyer|
|2004||Rizon||Corey Brown||Cliff Brown|
|2003||Yakama||Damien Oliver||Stuart Laming|
|2002||The Secondmortgage||Kerrin McEvoy||Mike Moroney|
|2001||Freemason||Darren Gauci||John Hawkes|
|2000||Majestic Avenue||Glen Boss||Tony Noonan|
Herbert Power Stakes winners pre-2000
|Herbert Power Stakes Past Winners Pre 2000|
|1990||Just A Dancer|
|1985||Fil De Roi|
|1976||Van der Hum|
|1972||Scotch And Dry|
|1942||Portfolio / Colonus|