Vinery Stud Stakes
Group One Betting Guide
|When:||Saturday, April 3, 2021|
THE Vinery Stud Stakes is a group one race held at Rosehill Gardens for three-year-old fillies at set weights over the distance of 2000m.
Held in late March or early April, the $500,000 Vinery Stud Stakes was initially registered as the Storm Queen Stakes, named after the winner of the 1966 Golden Slipper Storm Queen. But in 2009 was renamed to the Vinery Stud Stakes.
The race, which obtained group one status in 1993, has been run over 2000m since 1980 and is one of the rare Sydney group races that has never been run at a different track.
The Vinery Stud Stakes is one of the main lead up races to the $500,000 Group One Australian Oaks, which is run as part of Sydney’s Championships.
2021 Vinery Stud Stakes odds
On the back of a third placed finish in the Randwick Guineas, Harmony Rose is a $4 chance to take out this year’s Vinery Stud Stakes and is aided by a flying start to her career for trainer Mark Newnham.
Hungry Heart finally got a win on the board in the Group 2 Phar Lap Stakes and odds of $6 are available for the Waller filly to take out the Vinery Stud Stakes. The likes of Montefilia and VRC Oaks winner Personal are also in single figures and will be tough to beat in the 2021 Vinery Stud Stakes.
Best Vinery Stud Stakes bookmakers
The Vinery Stud Stakes is a group one race which precedes the jam packed Championships in Sydney, but still draws a lot of attention for punters.
Typically fields are not set early days for the Vinery Stud, but all-in markets invariably open a week in advance of the race.
Tote prices and other Fixed Odds markets tend to open when the race is two to three days away. The bookies we trust the most are listed below and we recommend anyone interested in betting on Vinery Stud Stakes to visit any of these sites:
Betting on the Vinery Stud Stakes
The Vinery Stud Stakes routinely draws the best three-year-old fillies from Australia and New Zealand to compete for group one glory.
As the race draws in horses from various form lines from around the country and across the Tasman, picking a formline to go off can be extremely difficult.
The winner of the race typically goes on to feature in the Australian Oaks but only Verry Elleegant (2019), Serenade Rose (2006), Danendri (1997), Alcove (1994), Research (1989) and Sheraco (1982) have gone on to complete the Vinery Stud Stakes-Australian Oaks double.
2020 Vinery Stud Stakes result
Recent Vinery Stud Stakes races
- On the back of an A-grade steer by Adam Hyeronimus, it was Shout The Bar who took out the 2020 Vinery Stud Stakes. Having cornered in front the Waterhouse & Bott-trained filly fended off her more fancied rivals such as Probabeel to grip on and claim a tough win. Safe to say if any punters backed her at $15 they would have been tempted to follow the name of the winner and Shout The Bar.
- Verry Elleegant put together the run that many anticipated she would in a Group 1 event after disappointing initially since crossing the Tasman. After making the shift to the Chris Waller stable the champ won the Phar Lap Stakes before getting to this event and the filly delivered, winning in style on a heavy 9 Rosehill track.
- Mick Price delivered a brilliant training performance in preparing Hiyaam to win the Vinery Stud Stakes. The four-year-old mare hunted to the lead early in the piece and never relinquished the lead, kicking away in the latter stages to win just shy of two lengths.
- Montoya’s Secret won a race full of interference for father-son training team Leon and Troy Corstens. Horses wiped out in the rough race were Smart As You Think, whose jockey Corey Brown nearly fell off, while Lubiton an Foxplay were also hampered in the running. But Montoya’s Secret ($12) managed to stay out of trouble on the rail, beating home Nurse Kitchen ($18), with Harlow Gold ($7) nearly two lengths further back in third. Read full report.
- In 2016 Single Gaze was a double figure runner that was not expected to feature in the finish, but the horse lobbed into a great position early in the race and was able to traill the speed. The horse got a great cart into the race and kicked away in the latter stages of to record an impressive win.
- Superstar filly First Seal was meant to be the easy winner of the Vinery Stud in 2015 but a $21 chance by the name of Fenway had other ideas. Fenway separated from the field at the 200m and looked to have pinched the race. First Seal came hard as the line loomed but could not get past Fenway.
- In what could very well be the most impressive performance in a Vinery Stud Stakes, Kiwi import Lucia Valentina settled at the back of the huge field. As the bulk of the pack went to the middle of the track Lucia Valentina hugged the inside of the track and ran on strongly to record an incredible win as a $9 shot.
- Bart Cummings trained Norzita was expected to go well as a $3 main elect in the market and punters would have felt very comfortable as the horse was able to switch off in mid-field. The horse was presented at the right time to break away from the pack alongside Longport, and the pair engaged in an epic duel in the latter stages that Norzita ultimately won.
Previous Winners of the Vinery Stud Stakes winners
|Vinery Stud Stakes Past Winners|
|2020||Shout The Bar||Adam Hyeronimus||Gai Waterhouse & Adrian Bott|
|2019||Verry Elleegant||James McDonald||Chris Waller|
|2018||Hiyaam||Michael Dee||Mick Price|
|2017||Montoya’s Secret||Noel Callow||Leon & Troy Corstens|
|2016||Single Gaze||Kathy O’Hara||Nick Olive|
|2015||Fenway||Blake Shinn||Lee & Shannon Hope|
|2014||Lucia Valentina||Hugh Bowman||Kris Lees|
|2013||Norzita||Hugh Bowman||Bart Cumminngs|
|2012||Mosheen||Danny Nikolic||Robert Smerdon|
|2011||Mirjuisa Lass||Corey Brown||Gregory Hickman|
|2010||Faint Perfume||Michael Rodd||Bart Cummings|
|2009||Purple||Kerrin McEvoy||Peter Snowden|
|2008||Heavenly Glow||Robert Thompson||Allan Denham|
|2007||Miss Finland||Craig Williams||David Hayes|
|2006||Serenade Rose||Steven King||Lee Freedman|
|2005||Hollow Bullet||Glen Boss||John McArdle|
|2004||Special Harmony||Damien Oliver||Lee Freedman|
|2003||Shower Of Roses||Chris Munce||Gai Waterhouse|
|2002||Sixty Seconds||Brian York||Roger James|
|2001||Tempest Morn||Darren Beasley||Gai Waterhouse|
|2000||Hill Of Grace||Brett Prebble||Gary Portelli|
Vinery Stud Stakes Past Winners Pre 2000
|Vinery Stud Stakes Past Winners Pre 2000|
|1990||A Little Kiss|