Queen Of The Turf Stakes
The Championships Day 2 – Betting Guide
|Date:||Saturday, April 13, 2024|
|Location:||Royal Randwick Racecourse – Sydney, Australia|
The Group 1 Queen Of The Turf Stakes, also known as The Coolmore Legacy Stakes, is a weight-for-age for fillies and mares held at Randwick Racecourse.
Prior to becoming part of The Championships in 2014 the race was held at Rosehill, over 1500m, before being switched to a mile at Randwick.
The other big change in the race’s recent history was in 2005 when the race conditions were switched from handicap to weight-for-age.
Some of the more well-known victors in the Queen Of The Turf Stakes are More Joyous (2011 & 2012), Typhoon Tracy (2010), Forensics (2008) and Divine Madonna (2007).
2024 Queen Of The Turf Stakes odds
Markets for the 2024 Queen Of The Turf Stakes are currently unavailable.
Best bookmakers for the Queen Of The Turf Stakes
All bookies boasting horse racing will have betting on The Championships, and with the Queen Of The Turf Stakes one of the bigger races over the two day carnival, it is a given that you will find extensive markets on this race.
Here are our top bookmaker picks for betting on the Queen Of The Turf Stakes. Click the links below to read our comprehensive bookmaker reviews or head straight to the bookies.
Queen Of The Turf Bookmakers
Latest Queen Of The Turf Stakes News
Betting Guide for the Queen Of The Turf Stakes
The obvious form line to follow is the Coolmore Classic coming in to the Queen Of The Turf Stakes. The Coolmore Classic has provided it’s fair share of winners over the years.
Only three runners have done the Coolmore Classic & Queen Of The Turf Stakes double. Con Te Partiro did it in 2020, Appearance back in 2013 and Camino Rose back in 1999.
Over the past eight years, only one favourite has managed to take out the Queen Of The Turf Stakes. Azkadellia took out the race in 2016 at odds of $2.80.
It is safe to say it is certainly worth to look outside the market elects when betting on the Queen Of The Turf Stakes.
Winners of the Coolmore Classic and Emancipation Stakes are ballot-exempt from the Queen Of The Turf Stakes.
There is no doubt that Gai Waterhouse is the trainer to follow in the Queen Of The Turf Stakes, having record eight wins in the race including in 2020 with Adrian Bott as her co-trainer.
2024 Queen Of The Turf Stakes Final Field
Horsebetting.com.au will update this page when the 2024 Queen Of The Turf Stakes field is released.
Previous Queen Of The Turf Stakes Fields
Many a superstar has gone on to win the Queen Of The Turf Stakes. Check out the last two fields here.
No. Silks Horse Trainer Jockey Barrier Weight 1 Alcohol Free Gai Waterhouse & Adrian Bott James McDonald 2 57kg 2 Fangirl Chris Waller Kerrin McEvoy 15 57kg 3 Levante Ken & Bev Kelso Damian Lane 13 57kg 4 Hinged Chris Waller Joao Moreira 20 57kg 5 Hope In Your Heart Kerry Parker Tim Clark 4 57kg 6 Promise Of Success John O’Shea Chad Schofield 12 57kg 7 Sirileo Miss Symon Wilde Ben Melham 3 57kg 8 Atishu Chris Waller Nash Rawiller 1 57kg 9 Roots Chris Waller Brenton Avdulla 18 57kg 10 Statement Joseph O’Brien John Allen 10 57kg 11 Mirra Vision Peter & Paul Snowden Sam Clipperton 5 57kg 12 Pride Of Jenni Ciaron Maher & David Eustace Robbie Dolan 8 57kg 13 Purplepay William Haggas Tom Marquand 14 57kg 14 Excelida Ben & JD Hayes Brett Prebble 6 57kg 15 Times Square Ciaron Maher & David Eustace Hugh Bowman 9 57kg 16 Bring The Ransom Bjorn Baker Tyler Schiller 16 57kg 17 Finepoint Chris Waller Regan Bayliss 11 57kg 18 More Secrets Michael, Wayne & John Hawkes Zac Lloyd 17 57kg 19 Dynasties (1E) Anthony & Sam Freedman TBC 19 57kg 20 Cap De Joie (2E) Nick Ryan TBC 7 57kg No. Silks Horse Trainer Jockey Barrier Weight 1 Colette James Cummings James McDonald 9 57kg 2 Lighthouse Ciaron Maher & David Eustace Jamie Kah 12 57kg 3 Icebath Brad Widdup Kerrin McEvoy 15 57kg 4 Shout The Bar Gai Waterhouse & Adrian Bott Nash Rawiller 10 57kg 5 Hungry Heart Chris Waller Mark Zahra 11 57kg 6 Nimalee Matthew Smith Damien Oliver 3 57kg 7 Promise Of Success John O’Shea Hugh Bowman 4 57kg 8 Vangelic Gai Waterhouse & Adrian Bott Tim Clark 13 57kg 9 Annavisto Mick Price & Michael Kent (Jnr) Rachel King 6 57kg 10 Quantum Mechanic Mick Price & Michael Kent (Jnr) Damian Lane 14 57kg 11 Mirra Vision Peter & Paul Snowden Sam Clipperton 2 57kg 12 Steinem Ciaron Maher & David Eustace Tommy Berry 17 57kg 13 Le Lude John Thompson Brock Ryan 18 57kg 14 Yonce Ciaron Maher & David Eustace John Allen 1 57kg 15 Fangirl Chris Waller Brenton Avdulla 16 54.5kg 16 Yearning Michael, Wayne & John Hawkes William Pike 7 54.5kg 17 Barb Raider Jerome Hunter Craig Williams 8 54.5kg 18 Never Been Kissed Gai Waterhouse & Adrian Bott Regan Bayliss 5 54.5kg
2023 Queen Of The Turf Stakes result
Recent runnings of the Queen Of The Turf Stakes
- The Chris Waller-trained has produced a stunning turn of foot to claim the Group 1 Queen Of The Turf Stakes under Nash Rawiller. Despite being sent around as a $10 chance with online bookmakers, the five-year-old mare put the writing on the wall last start when charging home into second in the Group 2 Emancipation Stakes behind stablemate Roots. Nash Rawiller had Atishu stalk race favourite Alcohol Free throughout the event and when the favourite was asked to quicken, Rawiller and Atishu raced straight past to put up what would be a winning break. Kerry Parker’s Hope In Your Heart was a tough watch for backers struggling to find clear air at a crucial time before running on into second, with roughie More Secrets filling the trifecta placings. Atishu was off and gone with the prize, with Rawiller able to pose for the photo some 2.5 lengths clear of Hope In Your Heart.
- Despite being sent around as a $31 chance in the Queen Of The Turf Stakes, the Matthew Smith-trained Nimalee absolutely bolted in. The win was a record breaking one, as jockey Damien Oliver surpassed George Moore’s record as having the most Group 1 wins by an Australian jockey. With 150m to go, Ollie and Nimalee managed to go past pace setter Annavisto and managed to career away to a three-length victory in what was one of the most dominant displays in the race in recent times.
- Wendy Roche will be popping the champagne after Nettoyer’s Queen Of The Turf Stakes victory at Randwick but it won’t be the trainer enjoying a tipple. Nettoyer is famous for her unorthodox diet of pizza and bubbles and she will get both after scoring her second Group 1 victory, 12 months after winning the Doncaster Mile over the same course and distance. Nettoyer ($26.00) reeled in Probabeel ($2.15 fav) by a short head with Quantum Mechanic ($26.00) another 1.75 lengths away third.
- Having taken out the Coolmore Classic earlier in the Autumn carnival, Con Te Partiro added the Queen Of The Turf Stakes (Coolmore Legacy Stakes) to take out the Coolmore Group 1 double. On the back of a perfect steer from Tim Clark, the American mare bolted clear of her rivals at the 300m mark and put a near two length gap on the race favourite Funstar.
- In a wide-open Queen Of The Turf Stakes it was the Mahar and Eustace Kenedna that delivered in the final Group 1 of The Championships. As the race entered the final stages there were up to 10 winning chances but it was one of the outsiders that produced a withering burst to defeat the sentimental favourite Dixie Blossoms.
- She wasn’t heavily favoured in the market but astute judges believed the filly could make an impact in the race. After getting well back on the turn the star came to the outside and quickly put the field to the sword to record a powerful win.
- Foxplay was given the title of Queen of the Turf after winning the newly-named Coolmore Legacy in 2017. The Chris Waller-trained filly sustained a long sprint down the outside of runners to overhaul the early leaders Silent Sedition and First Seal which went out too hard in front. The filly was well-backed throughout the week, but was drifting late. Read the full report.
- Damien Oliver had not enjoyed the best run of form during the Sydney Autumn, but that all changed with Azkadellia, who got a dream run down the rail. The $1.75 chance beat home Heavens Above by two lengths, with Noble Protector further back in third position.
- Amanpour, trained by Gai Waterhouse and ridden by Kerrin McEvoy, produced a brilliant exhibition to salute by almost two lengths from Catkins, with Noble Protector, who would also finish third the following year, rounding out the minor placings. Amanpour had trouble when being loaded into the barriers and had to be backed out and vetted, but once the gates opened, she made the running and never looked back. It was another near miss for Catkins in a group 1 race.
- Diamond Drille ($41) did it for an emotional Tommy Berry, who was still mourning the passing of his brother Nathan in a fall. Trained by Gai Waterhoue, Diamond Drille held off the John O’Shea-trained Gypsy Diamond by a short neck. Red Tracer, who produce a stunning run, failed to stay the 2000m and faded for third position. Favourite Catkins finished a disappointing sixth.
- Appearance ($9) was too good for Red Tracer, who would go on to finish third the following year in the same race, while Streama was further back in third. Kerrin McEvoy pulled Appearance wide as they rounded the bend, before producing a strong finish to hit the lead and hold off Red Tracer who finished full of running. Appearance was trained by the late Guy Walter.
- More Joyous did it again, after also winning the 2011 running of the race. Nash Rawiller pushed More Joyous forward from a wide draw, to sit outside the leader Red Tracer, before getting a nice run behind King’s Rose in the middle parts of the race. More Joyous then went three wide at the top of the straight. It hit the front at the 200m mark before charging away for an easy victory. Miss Keepsafe run on well to finish second, while King’s Rose finished third.
Past Queen Of The Turf Stakes winners
|Queen of The Turf Stakes Past Winners|
|2023||Atishu||Nash Rawiller||Chris Waller|
|2022||Nimalee||Damien Oliver||Matthew Smith|
|2021||Nettoyer||Tommy Berry||Wendy Roche|
|2020||Con Te Partiro||Tim Clark||Gai Waterhouse & Adrian Bott|
|2019||Kenedna||John Allen||Ciaron Maher & David Eustace|
|2018||Alizee||Glyn Schofield||James Cummings|
|2017||Foxplay||Kerrin McEvoy||Chris Waller|
|2016||Azkadellia||Damien Oliver||Ciaron Maher & David Eustace|
|2015||Amanpour||Kerrin McEvoy||Gai Waterhouse|
|2014||Diamond Drille||Tommy Berry||Gai Waterhouse|
|2013||Appearance||Kerrin McEvoy||Guy Walter|
|2012||More Joyous||Nash Rawiller||Gai Waterhouse|
|2011||More Joyous||Nash Rawiller||Gai Waterhouse|
|2010||Typhoon Tracy||Luke Nolen||Peter Moody|
|2009||Neroli||Darren Beadman||Peter Snowden|
|2008||Forensics||Danny Nikolic||Peter Snowden|
|2007||Divine Madonna||Glen Boss||Mark Kavanagh|
|2006||Mnemosyne||Darren Beadman||John Hawkes|
|2005||Ike’s Dream||Darren Beadman||John Hawkes|
|2004||In A Bound||Chris Munce||Gai Waterhouse|
|2003||Hosannah||Corey Brown||John Hawkes|
|2002||Ugachaka||Scott Seamer||Paul O’Sullivan|
|2001||Sorrento||Chris Munce||Gai Waterhouse|
|2000||Danglissa||Chris Munce||Gai Waterhouse|
Queen Of The Turf Stakes Winners Pre 2000
|Queen of The Turf Stakes Past Winners Pre 2000|
|1995||Light Up The World|
|1994||The Perfume Garden|
|1982||C’est Si Bon|