Queen Of The Turf Stakes
The Championships Day 2 – Betting Guide
|Date:||Saturday, April 17, 2021|
|Location:||Royal Randwick, Sydney|
The Group 1 Queen Of The Turf Stakes, also known as The Coolmore Legacy Stakes, is a weight-for-age for fillies and mares held at Randwick Racecourse.
Prior to becoming part of The Championships in 2014 the race was held at Rosehill, over 1500m, before being switched to a mile at Randwick.
The other big change in the race’s recent history was in 2005 when the race conditions were switched from handicap to weight-for-age.
2021 Queen Of The Turf Stakes odds
Having taken out the Futurity Stakes at Caulfield, Probabeel is the early favourite in all-in markets for the Queen of the Turf Stakes on Day 1 of The Championships. Odds of $6 are available for the mare to add another Group 1 to her impressive record.
Probabeel’s sparring partner over the past 12 months, Arcadia Queen is also expected to go around in the Queen of the Turf Stakes. The WA mare is on the second line of betting with odds of $8 available.
Having taken out the Coolmore Classic, QLD based Krone is the only other runner in singles figures and online bookmakers have the Tony Gollan-trained mare at $9.
Best bookmakers for the Queen Of The Turf Stakes
All bookies boasting horse racing will have betting on The Championships, and with the Queen Of The Turf Stakes one of the bigger races over the two day carnival, it is a given that you will find extensive markets on this race.
Here are our top bookmaker picks for betting on the Queen Of The Turf Stakes. Click the links below to read our comprehensive bookmaker reviews or head straight to the bookies.
Queen Of The Turf Bookmakers
Betting Guide for the Queen Of The Turf Stakes
The obvious form line to follow is the Coolmore Classic coming in to the Queen Of The Turf Stakes. The Coolmore Classic has provided it’s fair share of winners over the years.
Only three runners have done the Coolmore Classic & Queen Of The Turf Stakes double. Con Te Partiro did it last year in 2020, Appearance back in 2013 and Camino Rose back in 1999.
Over the past eight years, only one favourite has managed to take out the Queen Of The Turf Stakes. Azkadellia took out the race in 2016 at odds of $2.80, but other than that result the average winning price is $15.70. It is safe to say it is certainly worth to look outside the market elects when betting on the Queen Of The Turf Stakes.
Winners of the Coolmore Classic and Emancipation Stakes are ballot-exempt from the Queen Of The Turf Stakes.
There is no doubt that Gai Waterhouse is the trainer to follow in the Queen Of The Turf Stakes, having record eight wins in the race including in 2020 with Adrian Bott as her co-trainer.
2020 Queen Of The Turf Stakes result
Recent runnings of the Queen Of The Turf Stakes
- Having taken out the Coolmore Classic earlier in the Autumn carnival, Con Te Partiro added the Queen Of The Turf Stakes (Coolmore Legacy Stakes) to take out the Coolmore Group 1 double. On the back of a perfect steer from Tim Clark, the American mare bolted clear of her rivals at the 300m mark and put a near two length gap on the race favourite Funstar.
- In a wide-open Queen Of The Turf Stakes it was the Mahar and Eustace Kenedna that delivered in the final Group 1 of The Championships. As the race entered the final stages there were up to 10 winning chances but it was one of the outsiders that produced a withering burst to defeat the sentimental favourite Dixie Blossoms.
- She wasn’t heavily favoured in the market but astute judges believed the filly could make an impact in the race. After getting well back on the turn the star came to the outside and quickly put the field to the sword to record a powerful win.
- Foxplay was given the title of Queen of the Turf after winning the newly-named Coolmore Legacy in 2017. The Chris Waller-trained filly sustained a long sprint down the outside of runners to overhaul the early leaders Silent Sedition and First Seal which went out too hard in front. The filly was well-backed throughout the week, but was drifting late. Read the full report.
- Damien Oliver had not enjoyed the best run of form during the Sydney Autumn, but that all changed with Azkadellia, who got a dream run down the rail. The $1.75 chance beat home Heavens Above by two lengths, with Noble Protector further back in third position.
- Amanpour, trained by Gai Waterhouse and ridden by Kerrin McEvoy, produced a brilliant exhibition to salute by almost two lengths from Catkins, with Noble Protector, who would also finish third the following year, rounding out the minor placings. Amanpour had trouble when being loaded into the barriers and had to be backed out and vetted, but once the gates opened, she made the running and never looked back. It was another near miss for Catkins in a group 1 race.
- Diamond Drille ($41) did it for an emotional Tommy Berry, who was still mourning the passing of his brother Nathan in a fall. Trained by Gai Waterhoue, Diamond Drille held off the John O’Shea-trained Gypsy Diamond by a short neck. Red Tracer, who produce a stunning run, failed to stay the 2000m and faded for third position. Favourite Catkins finished a disappointing sixth.
- Appearance ($9) was too good for Red Tracer, who would go on to finish third the following year in the same race, while Streama was further back in third. Kerrin McEvoy pulled Appearance wide as they rounded the bend, before producing a strong finish to hit the lead and hold off Red Tracer who finished full of running. Appearance was trained by the late Guy Walter.
- More Joyous did it again, after also winning the 2011 running of the race. Nash Rawiller pushed More Joyous forward from a wide draw, to sit outside the leader Red Tracer, before getting a nice run behind King’s Rose in the middle parts of the race. More Joyous then went three wide at the top of the straight. It hit the front at the 200m mark before charging away for an easy victory. Miss Keepsafe run on well to finish second, while King’s Rose finished third.
Past Queen Of The Turf Stakes winners
|Queen of The Turf Stakes Past Winners|
|2020||Con Te Partiro||Tim Clark||Gai Waterhouse & Adrian Bott|
|2019||Kenedna||John Allen||Ciaron Maher & David Eustace|
|2018||Alizee||Glyn Schofield||James Cummings|
|2017||Foxplay||Kerrin McEvoy||Chris Waller|
|2016||Azkadellia||Damien Oliver||Ciaron Maher & David Eustace|
|2015||Amanpour||Kerrin McEvoy||Gai Waterhouse|
|2014||Diamond Drille||Tommy Berry||Gai Waterhouse|
|2013||Appearance||Kerrin McEvoy||Guy Walter|
|2012||More Joyous||Nash Rawiller||Gai Waterhouse|
|2011||More Joyous||Nash Rawiller||Gai Waterhouse|
|2010||Typhoon Tracy||Luke Nolen||Peter Moody|
|2009||Neroli||Darren Beadman||Peter Snowden|
|2008||Forensics||Danny Nikolic||Peter Snowden|
|2007||Divine Madonna||Glen Boss||Mark Kavanagh|
|2006||Mnemosyne||Darren Beadman||John Hawkes|
|2005||Ike’s Dream||Darren Beadman||John Hawkes|
|2004||In A Bound||Chris Munce||Gai Waterhouse|
|2003||Hosannah||Corey Brown||John Hawkes|
|2002||Ugachaka||Scott Seamer||Paul O’Sullivan|
|2001||Sorrento||Chris Munce||Gai Waterhouse|
|2000||Danglissa||Chris Munce||Gai Waterhouse|
Queen Of The Turf Stakes Winners Pre 2000
|Queen of The Turf Stakes Past Winners Pre 2000|
|1995||Light Up The World|
|1994||The Perfume Garden|
|1982||C’est Si Bon|