The Queensland Racing Integrity commissioner has taken the unusual step of issuing a statement refuting rumours a Toowoomba steward is under investigation for his association with a trainer.
The rumour has been repeated on several websites and in social media in the past fortnight.
In a release sent to all major media outlets on Tuesday, QRIC commissioner Ross Barnett said there were was no basis to the rumours.
“I would like to make it categorically clear that there is no foundation to these rumours whatsoever,” Barnett said.
“It’s grossly unfair to the steward concerned to tarnish his reputation in this way.”
Barnett said there had been speculation within the ranks of Toowoomba’s thoroughbred industry and local media over the past few weeks that a steward was facing disciplinary action because of his dealings with a Toowoomba trainer.
He said it was alleged the steward recently provided information to the trainer before an inspection of his stables by QRIC officers.
“I have decided to release a statement to put these rumours to rest because of the adverse way they reflect on the reputation of the commission, the individual officer concerned and Toowoomba’s thoroughbred industry,” Barnett said.