THE Blue Diamond Stakes is Victoria’s biggest race for juveniles with a purse of $1.5 million and Group one status.
The 1200m sprint at Caulfield is held every February and it’s a target race for every trainer with a two-year-old talented enough to make the field.
Some of Australia’s finest have taken out the Blue Diamond, which includes the likes of Redoute’s Choice, Alinghi, Manikato and in more recent times Sepoy and Extreme Choice.
It is considered a stallion-making race it is extremely popular with punters. Markets open months before the race so punters get a look at the early all-in markets and also the fixed odds market when the field is released.
Best Blue Diamond Stakes bookmakers
The bookmakers are vigilant at getting early Blue Diamond Stakes markets out. Most of our recommended bookmakers open Blue Diamond markets months in advance, which gives punters plenty of time to sort out their best bets.
The following bookmakers offer all-in and fixed odds markets for both the win and place.
2017 Blue Diamond Stakes result
1st: Catchy – $4.70
2nd: Pariah – $1.70
3rd: Formality – $3
Recent Blue Diamond Stakes winners
- Craig Williams had a pick of many Blue Diamond rides and he chose the right filly in 2017. Catchy was brilliant in winning the Blue Diamond after settling back throughout the run and storming home to defeat favourite Pariah in the concluding stages. The win extended Catchy’s winning streak to four with Lindsay Park Racing training three of the first four runners home.
- Extreme Choice justified its favouritism tag by scored an easy win over stablemate Flying Artie. The Mick Price-trained colt looked the goods heading into the race and after sitting wide on the pace early, it took over with 300 metres to go and kicked away for a 1.8-length victory. It would later run as one of the favourites for the Golden Slipper, but after missing the kick its chances were extinguished. The Not A Single colt paid $2.75 in the betting and Craig Newitt was the winning rider.
- Pride Of Dubai scored its biggest career win when downing a $101 outsider in the last few strides. The Peter and Paul Snowden-trained colt settled midfield and received a checkered run in the straight, but it was able to balance up and sprint late to beat $101 chance Reemah on the line. The son of Street Cry would later run greenly in the Golden Slipper, costing itself the race, but it’s Blue Diamond win was a standout at odds of $6.
- Peter Snowden trained the first of two consecutive winners with Earthquake in 2014. The Exceed And Excel filly was highly touted leading into the race and it didn’t let punters down. It won by 1.5 lengths after sitting just off the pace and kicking strongly to the line. The placings were filled by Jabali and Cornrow, which didn’t amount to anything, but Rubick and Malaguerra were among the beaten brigade. The next best filly in the race was Piacenza which finished well back in 11th.
- Miracles Of Life was a feel good story in 2013. The Not A Single Doubt filly was given a great ride by Lauren Stojakovic who was given a big responsibility to ride the $3.25 favourite. It kicked clear around the Caulfield turn before putting three lengths on the field. Stojakovic kept kicking on the filly to ensure the memorable victory. It was one of the best Blue Diamond Stakes fields of all time with the likes of Fast ‘n’ Rocking, Gregers, Shamus Award and Horse of the Year winner Dissident.
Blue Diamond Stakes winners list
|2015||Pride Of Dubai|
|2013||Miracles Of Life|
|2009||Reward For Effort|
|2000||Road To Success|
|1985||Let’s Get Physical|
|1983||Love A Show|
|1976||Out Of Danger|
Latest Blue Diamond Stakes News
Price to add to Blue Diamond collection
Mick Price has trained the winners of two of the past six Blue Diamonds and will try to add another when he starts Prairie Fire...
Long Leaf favourite in open Blue Diamond Stakes
After drawing barrier seven in the Blue Diamond Stakes, Long Leaf has been promoted to outright favouritism for the Blue Diamond Stakes at Caulfield.
No Diamond joy for Hayes with Seberate
Seberate has missed out on a start in the Blue Diamond Stakes but can gain some minor consolation for connections at Caulfield.
Long Leaf favourite for Group 1 Blue Diamond Stakes
Long Leaf is the favourite in an open market for the $1.5 million Group One Blue Diamond Stakes at Caulfield.
Capacity field for Group One Blue Diamond Stakes
A capacity field has been declared for Victoria's premier race for two-year-olds, the Blue Diamond Stakes at Caulfield.