Herbie Dyke Stakes
Group One Betting Guide
|Date:||February 12, 2022|
|Location:||Te Rapa Racecourse|
The Group 1 Herbie Dyke Stakes (2000m) is the richest weight-for-age race in New Zealand, offering up a prize pool of NZ$400,000.
Formerly known as the New Zealand International Stakes, the race is run on the same day as the Waikato Sprint, making it two weight-for-age Group 1 events at the one meeting.
With the likes of Cox Plate winner Bonecrusher (1986), Captain Cook (1992) and Sangster (2013) on the honour roll, the Herbie Dyke Stakes is quickly growing in popularity.
2022 Herbie Dyke Stakes betting odds
The 2022 Herbie Dyke Stakes odds as of February 12 look like this:
- The Chosen One – $2.10
- Coventina Bay – $4.00
- Tiptronic – $5.50
- Vernanme – $12.00
- Sound – $13.00
- Harlech – $18.00
- Royal Performer – $20.00
Top Herbie Dyke Stakes bookmakers
The Herbie Dyke Stakes generates betting interest from the likes of Australian, Japanese and Hong Kong punters, so bookmakers know how important framing an early market can be.
Popular races like the Herbie Dyke Stakes are attractive to futures punters who are hoping to lock in the big value on offer. Bookmakers will also offer fixed-odds win and place markets when the field is confirmed.
The online bookmakers listed below have markets available for the Herbie Dyke Stakes. If there are no odds listed, bookmakers can be contacted and odds on your desired runner will be given.
Herbie Dyke Stakes history
With the Herbie Dyke Stakes being used as a lead-up event to the Auckland Cup, only two horses have done the double since the turn of the century: Shez Sinsational (2012) and Sangster (2013).
Graeme Rogerson has three wins to his name in the Herbie Dyke, whilst Donna Logan, Murray Baker, Mike Moroney and Debbie Rogerson have tasted multiple successes in the race this century.
As with most New Zealand horse races, Michael Coleman (4) and Opie Bosson (3) have had the most success among jockeys in the Herbie Dyke Stakes.
The race record time of 1:58.80 was set by Captain Cook in 1992.
2021 Herbie Dyke Stakes results
Recent Herbie Dyke Stakes winners
- All eyes were on the legendary Melody Belle, who was looking to bring up a remarkable 14 Group 1 wins. However, it was Royal Performer who caused a boilover when saluting at $20 in the Herbie Dyke Stakes. The former Hong Kong-based galloper managed to gain a perfect run in transit and whilst race favourite Melody Belle struck trouble, Jonathan Riddell managed to steal the race aboard Royal Performer. He managed to put a two-length margin on the ever consistent The Chosen One and in doing so handed Bob Vance his first Group 1 win as a trainer alongside his wife Jenny.
- Having settled for a second-place finish in 2019, it was the Graham Richardson-trained Tiptronic who claimed a narrow victory in the Herbie Dyke Stakes. With South Island raider Camino Rocoso setting a breakneck speed in front, it was left to True Enough and Tiptronic to drag the field up to the tearaway who still led by six lengths approaching the home turn. The two then went stride for stride in the home straight and just as True Enough looked to have the race won, Tiptronic dug deep and broke his Group 1 maiden tag.
- Michael Moroney & Pam Gerard caused somewhat of an upset when $15 chance On The Rocks handed jockey Jake Bayliss a second Group 1. The Australian-born Bayliss was enjoying his second stint in NZ and was given all the plaudit from co-trainer Pam Gerard. Having won the 2018 Railway Handicap aboard Volpe Veloce, it was another genuine Group 1 ride from Bayliss who had On The Rocks chasing the tearaway leaders a long way out from home. Having hit the front inside the final 300m mark, the entire had plenty left in reserve to hold off the likes of Tiptronic and Elusive Treasure.
- Despite a poor showing in the Melbourne spring, the Murray Baker & Andrew Forsman-trained Lizzie L’amour has capped the return to NZ with a dominant win in the Herbie Dyke Stakes. The win capped a remarkable 24 hours for the legendary Murray Baker who had been inducted into the New Zealand Racing Hall of Fame the night before. The Zabeel mare raced close to the pace at Te Rapa before rider Matt Cameron allowed her to amble closer three wide across the top. They took control 250m from home and drew clear effortlessly to beat Windflower and the winner’s stablemate Nicoletta took third.
- Donna Logan picked up consecutive Herbie Dyke Stakes wins when Volkstok’n’barrell managed to salute as a $3 race favourite. Having been trapped away worse than midfield on the fence, Vinnie Coglan just need a touch of luck in the home straight as he seemingly had a lapful of horse underneath him. He managed to find a gap inside the final 300m and when hitting the front with 100m to go, he had to stage off the fast finishing Saville Row and did so by just under a length.
Past Herbie Dyke Stakes winners
|Herbie Dyke Stakes Past Winners|
|2021||Royal Performer||Jonathan Riddell||Jenny & Bob Vance|
|2020||Tiptronic||Jason Waddell||Graham Richardson|
|2019||On The Rocks||Jake Bayliss||Michael Moroney & Pam Gerard|
|2018||Lizzie L’amour||Matt Cameron||Murray Baker & Andrew Forsman|
|2017||Volkstok’n’barrell||Vincent Colgan||Donna Logan|
|2016||Valley Girl||Lisa Allpress||Donna Logan|
|2015||Soriano||Rory Hutchings||Graeme & Debbie Rogerson|
|2014||Costume||Michael Coleman||Graeme & Debbie Rogerson|
|2013||Sangster||Opie Bosson||Trent Busuttin & Natalie Young|
|2012||Shez Sinsational||James McDonald||Allan Sharrock|
|2011||Red Ruler||Mark Du Plessis||John Sargent|
|2010||Veloce Bella||Michael Coleman||Maryann Brosnan|
|2009||Maco’reilly||Hayden Tinsley||David Haworth|
|2008||Mission Critcial||Michael Coleman||Mike & Paul Moroney|
|2007||Sir Slick||Opie Bosson||Graeme Nicholson|
|2006||Snazzy||Lisa Cropp||Jeff Lynds|
|2005||The Jewel||Leith Innes||Hec & Steve Anderton|
|2004||Lashed||Opie Bosson||Graeme Rogerson & Stephen Autridge|
|2003||Greene Street||Robert Hannam||Noel Eales|
|2002||Emerald Dream||Scott Seamer||Murray Baker|
|2001||Giovana||Peter Johnson||Carol Marshall|
|2000||Bluebird The Word||Michael Coleman||Craig & Frank Ritchie|
Herbie Dyke Stakes Past Winners Pre 2000
|Herbie Dyke Stakes Past Winners Pre 2000|
|1995||All In Fun|
|1993||The Phantom Chance|
|1991||Fun On The Run|
|1990||Race Not Held|
|1988||Sounds Like Fun|
|1982||Bound To Honour|