|Date||Saturday, May 25, 2019|
THE BTC Cup – also known as the Darley Kingsford Smith Cup – is a Group 1 race held at Brisbane’s Eagle Farm.
The race is a three-year-old’s and older weight-for-age event over the distance of 1300m.
The BTC Cup was previously the opening group one race of the Brisbane Winter Racing Carnival, but is now run after the opening G1 race, the Doomben 10,000.
Formerly run over the 1200m journey, the $700,000 race is now over the 1300m trip and has a fantastic group of former winners among its ranks.
2019 BTC Cup Betting Odds
Godolphin star sprinter Osborne Bulls is the $4.80 favourite at online bookmaker Ladbrokes to win the BTC Cup.
Zoustyle ($7) is the only other runner in single figures with enigmatic sprinter Nature Strip the next best at the $11 mark.
Best BTC Cup bookmakers
The BTC CUP is a group one race that previously kicked off the Brisbane Winter Carnival, and while it is not as prominent as it once was, any bookmaker worth their salt has markets up well in advance of the race.
Tote prices and other Fixed Odds markets tend to open when the race is four to five days away.
Betting on the BTC Cup
The BTC Cup always brings out the best sprinters in the country to the sunshine state, and is the preamble to the Stradbroke Handicap, which is typically run a fortnight later.
In recent times however, the race has been not favourable to the key market elects.
Since Black Caviar won the race as a short-priced favourite in 2011, no favourite went gone on to win the race since
Punters need to beware of the big names in this race, given a lot of runners use the race as a tune up for the Stradbroke.
2018 BTC Cup result
Recent BTC Cup winners
- Godolphin runner Impending came into the 2018 BTC Cup hoping to improve on a strong run in the Doomben 10000 two weeks prior, but when Le Romain kicked away in the straight it looked like a win would be beyond the four-year-old. The horse surged to the line however to topple Le Romain in a photo-finish.
- Clearly Innocent trounced its rivals in the 2017 Kingsford-Smith Cup (BTC Cup) at Eagle Farm. The Kris Lees-trained runner was considered a course specialist at Scone, but transferred that form to Eagle Farm where it enjoyed the wet conditions at Eagle Farm. Read the report here.
- Malaguerra was not one of the key elects in the market going into the 2016 BTC Cup, but was found late in the market to firm into $7. In one of the tightest finishes in the race’s history the gelding held on well in a photo-finish ahead of Dothraki.
- The $26 outsider Hot Snitzel was not expected to be a factor in the 2015 edition of the race, but when the horse sprinted from midfield to challenge the long-time leader, roughie backers would have had their hearts in their mouths. The horse went on to salute, but failed to win a race thereafter.
- Famous Seamus is a horse that teased punters over the journey, and most backers did not want to go near the $21 pop heading into the race. However, under a perfect ride from Ryan Wiggins the Kiwi import blazed down the outside to record one of the best wins of its career.
- In a performance that belied its huge price, Your Song ($12) absolutely torched its rivals to record a comfortable five length win – the biggest margin since Black Caviar’s towering performance in 2011. The horse raced just a further two times in its career before retiring a month later.
Previous BTC Cup winners
|Year||BTC Cup Past Winner|
|2010||Albert The Fat|
|2006||Gee I Jane|
|2005||Spark Of Life|
|1996||Chief De Beers|