Group One Betting Guide
|Date:||Saturday, May 28, 2022|
|Location:||Eagle Farm Racecourse|
THE BTC Cup – also known as the Darley Kingsford Smith Cup – is a Group 1 race held at Brisbane’s Eagle Farm. The race is a three-year-old’s and older weight-for-age event over 1300m.
Formerly run over the 1200m journey, the $700,000 race is now over the 1300m trip and has a fantastic group of former winners among its ranks.
2022 BTC Cup Betting Odds
The 2022 BTC Cup odds as of May 23 look like this:
- Paulele – $3.20
- Apache Chase – $10.00
- Ellsberg – $10.00
- Laws Of Indices – $10.00
- Prince Of Boom – $11.00
- Private Eye – $11.00
- September Run – $11.00
- Isotope – $15.00
- Ranch Hand – $15.00
- Rothfire – $15.00
Complete BTC Cup odds available at Bet365.
Best BTC Cup bookmakers
The BTC CUP is a group one race that previously kicked off the Brisbane Winter Carnival, and while it is not as prominent as it once was, any bookmaker worth their salt has markets up well in advance of the race.
Tote prices and other Fixed Odds markets tend to open when the race is four to five days away.
Latest BTC Cup News
Betting on the BTC Cup
The BTC Cup always brings out the best sprinters in the country to the sunshine state, and is the preamble to the Stradbroke Handicap, which is typically run a fortnight later.
Naturally, the key form race heading into the BTC Cup is the Doomben 10,000 held a fortnight prior, and for the interestate raiders the TJ Smith Stakes has produced a couple of winners of the years.
In recent times however, the race has been not favourable to the key market elects.
Since Black Caviar won the race as a short-priced favourite in 2011, only one favourite Impending (2018) has rewarded favourite punters since. The average winning price for the Kingsford-Smith Cup has been $12.10 since 2010.
Punters need to beware of the big names in this race, given a lot of runners use the race as a tune up for the Stradbroke.
2022 Kingsford-Smith Cup Final Field
The final field for the 2022 Kingsford-Smith is expected to be announced on Tuesday, May 24, 2022.
Previous Kingsford-Smith Cup Fields
Plenty of the future sprinting superstars of the racing scene have competed in the Kingsford-Smith Cup, here is what the field looked like for the 2021 edition.
No. Silks Horse Trainer Jockey Barrier Weight 1 Trekking James Cummings Kerrin McEvoy 12 59kg 2 Gytrash Gordon Richards Jason Collett 15 59kg 3 Savatoxl Tony & Calvin McEvoy Barend Vorster 14 59kg 4 Imaging Chris Waller James McDonald 16 59kg 5 Kementari James Cummings Joshua Parr 1 59kg 6 Victorem Jenny Graham Mark Du Pless 2 59kg 7 So Si Bon Tom Dabernig & Ben Hayes Mark Zahra 3 59kg 8 Niccanova Steve Tregea James Orman 11 59kg 9 Vega One Tony Gollan Jamie Kah 13 59kg 10 Jonker Tony Gollan Jim Byrne 4 59kg 11 Signore Fox Peter & Paul Snowden Ryan Maloney 5 59kg 12 Blazejowski Greg Eurell Jye McNeil 10 59kg 13 Savatiano James Cummings Hugh Bowman 8 57kg 14 Outback Barbie Tony Gollan Brenton Avdulla 9 57kg 15 Pennino Darryl Hansen Tiffani Brooker 7 57kg 16 Dame Giselle Peter & Paul Snowden Tim Clark 6 55kg
2021 BTC Cup result
Recent BTC Cup winners
- All connections to Vega One would have been scrunching their tickets up before the race was over. Barrier 13 and stuck behind a blockade of horses down the straight things were not looking good for the five-year-old gelding, however it was the brilliant riding of Jamie Kah that found the gap that didn’t exist to get up on Jonker and Signore Fox to win by .5 of a length.
- The Kingsford Smith Cup was cancelled due to the lockdowns because of COVID-19
- Remarkably, The Bostonian was sent around as a $10 chance in the BTC Cup, but on the back of another superb steer from Michael Cahill the pair grabbed back to back Group 1 victories. Having been granted the run of the race, Cahill found a gap in the home straight at the 300m mark and the Tony Pike-trained gelding managed to hold out the rank outsider Princess Posh and race favourite Trekking in the concluding stages.
- Godolphin runner Impending came into the 2018 BTC Cup hoping to improve on a strong run in the Doomben 10000 two weeks prior, but when Le Romain kicked away in the straight it looked like a win would be beyond the four-year-old. The horse surged to the line however to topple Le Romain in a photo-finish.
- Clearly Innocent trounced its rivals in the 2017 Kingsford-Smith Cup (BTC Cup) at Eagle Farm. The Kris Lees-trained runner was considered a course specialist at Scone, but transferred that form to Eagle Farm where it enjoyed the wet conditions at Eagle Farm. Read the report here.
- Malaguerra was not one of the key elects in the market going into the 2016 BTC Cup, but was found late in the market to firm into $7. In one of the tightest finishes in the race’s history the gelding held on well in a photo-finish ahead of Dothraki.
- The $26 outsider Hot Snitzel was not expected to be a factor in the 2015 edition of the race, but when the horse sprinted from midfield to challenge the long-time leader, roughie backers would have had their hearts in their mouths. The horse went on to salute, but failed to win a race thereafter.
- Famous Seamus is a horse that teased punters over the journey, and most backers did not want to go near the $21 pop heading into the race. However, under a perfect ride from Ryan Wiggins the Kiwi import blazed down the outside to record one of the best wins of its career.
- In a performance that belied its huge price, Your Song ($12) absolutely torched its rivals to record a comfortable five length win – the biggest margin since Black Caviar’s towering performance in 2011. The horse raced just a further two times in its career before retiring a month later.
Previous BTC Cup winners
|BTC Cup Past Winners|
|2021||Vega One||Jamie Kah||Tony Gollan|
|2020||Race Not Held|
|2019||The Bostonian||Michael Cahill||Tony Pike|
|2018||Impending||Damian Browne||James Cummings|
|2017||Clearly Innocent||Hugh Bowman||Kris Lees|
|2016||Malaguerra||Glen Colless||Lee & Anthony Freedman|
|2015||Hot Snitzel||Blake Shinn||Peter & Paul Snowden|
|2014||Famous Seamus||Ryan Wiggins||Noel Mayfield-Smith|
|2013||Your Song||Peter Robl||Anthony Cummings|
|2012||Sea Siren||Jim Cassidy||John O’Shea|
|2011||Black Caviar||Luke Nolen||Peter Moody|
|2010||Albert The Fat||Damian Browne||Eden Petrie|
|2009||Duporth||Luke Nolen||Anthony Cummings|
|2008||Apache Cat||Corey Brown||Greg Eurell|
|2007||Bentley Biscuit||Nash Rawiller||Gai Waterhouse|
|2006||Gee I Jane||Scott Seamer||Neville Couchman|
|2005||Spark Of Life||Chris Munce||Allan Denham|
|2004||Thorn Park||Danny Nikolic||Bob Thomsen|
|2003||Falvelon||Alan Russell||Danny Bougoure|
|2002||Lord Essex||Scott Galloway||John Hawkes|
|2001||Fritz||Noel Harris||Mark Walker|
|2000||Falvelon||Michael Cahill||Danny Bougoure|
BTC Cup Past Winners Pre 2000
|BTC Cup Past Winners Pre 2000|
|1996||Chief De Beers|