Group Three Betting Guide
|Date:||Tuesday, November 5, 2023|
|Location:||Flemington Racecourse – Melbourne, Victoria|
The Hong Kong Jockey Club (HKJC) Stakes is a Group 3 race held at Flemington racecourse on Melbourne Cup Day, worth $200,000.
Registered as the Maybe Mahal Stakes, the race is for mares four-years-old and older and is run under set weights and penalties conditions.
Since the inaugural year in 2005, there has only ever been on horse win the race twice, with that being Rich Hips, who took out the race in back-to-back years in 2020 and 2021.
A HKJC Stakes win is a huge selling point for mares with it considered a black type race. It is very rare to see a mare race on after winning a HKJC Stakes, with the group 3 a strong selling point for broodmares going to stud, largely because they receive the black type tick on their pedigree.
Due to the Group 1 Sir Rupert Clarke Stakes (1600m) being moved to two weeks after the Melbourne Cup Carnival from 2023 onwards, we could see more mares use this race as a strong lead-up race.
2024 HKJC Stakes Betting Odds
Markets for the 2024 HKJC Stakes are currently unavailable.
Best HKJC Club Stakes bookmakers
All of our recommended bookmakers have markets for the HKJC Stakes and other feature horse races.
Most of the Melbourne Cup Carnival races have markets opened well in advance and the Group 3 HKJC Stakes is no exception.
Latest HKJC Stakes News
2024 HKJC Stakes Final Field
HorseBetting will update this page when the 2024 HKJC Stakes field is released.
Previous HKJC Stakes Field
No. Silks Horse Trainer Jockey Barrier Weight 1 Madame Pommery Chris Waller James McDonald 15 59kg 2 Skew Wiff Mark Walker Opie Bosson 12 59kg 3 Revolutionary Miss Peter & Paul Snowden Mark Zahra 1 58kg 4 Zennzella Ciaron Maher & David Eustace Ben Melham 20 58kg 5 Belsielle David & Coral Feek Craig Newitt 17 57kg 6 Wollombi Peter & Paul Snowden Jamie Kah 10 57kg 7 Essonne Richard Litt Rachel King 3 56kg 8 La Danseuse Rouge Cliff Brown Damian Lane 5 56kg 9 Cardigan Queen Ciaron Maher & David Eustace Michael Dee 8 55kg 10 Belle Et Riche Mitchell Freedman Jordan Childs 19 55kg 11 Finepoint Chris Waller Kerrin McEvoy 13 55kg 12 Climbing Star Phillip Stokes Craig Williams 14 55kg 13 Sanstoc John O’Shea Tom Marquand 11 55kg 14 Kazou Chris Waller Joao Moreira 2 55kg 15 Call Di Gerald Ryan & Sterling Alexiou Blake Shinn 16 55kg 16 Healing Oasis Annabel Neasham Beau Mertens 4 55kg 17 Forbidden City (1E) Peter Moody & Katherine Coleman Billy Egan 6 55kg 18 Foxy Cleopatra (2E) Trent Busuttin & Natalie Young Tim Clark 7 55kg 19 Tajneed (3E) Peter & Paul Snowden Kerrin McEvoy 9 55kg 20 Get Up Girl (4E) Clinton McDonald TBC 18 55kg No. Silks Horse Trainer Jockey Barrier Weight 1 Promise Of Success John O’Shea Kerrin McEvoy 1 58kg 2 Turaath Maddie Raymond Damian Lane 4 58kg 3 Literary Magnate Matthew Williams Dean Yendall 13 57kg 4 Tycoon Evie Peter & Paul Snowden Tommy Berry 10 57kg 5 Heresy James Cummings William Buick 8 57kg 6 Paul’s Regret Peter Chow Jarrod Fry 20 56kg 7 Mac ‘N” Cheese Tony & Calvin McEvoy Hugh Bowman 2 56kg 8 Ancient Girl Clinton McDonald Mark Zahra 18 56kg 9 She’s All Class Chris Waller Blake Shinn 5 55kg 10 Decent Raine Ciaron Maher & David Eustace John Allen 6 55kg 11 Katalin James Cummings James McDonald 16 55kg 12 Sur La Mer Chris Waller Brett Prebble 19 55kg 13 Mrs Sippy Jason Warren Daniel Stackhouse 3 55kg 14 See Marie Peter Moody Luke Nolen 17 55kg 15 Adele Amour John Sadler Alana Kelly 7 55kg 16 Another Award Leon McDonald & Andrew Gluyas Craig Williams 11 55kg 17 Larkspur Run James Cummings Jamie Kah 14 55kg 18 Finepoint Chris Waller Jason Collett 9 55kg 19 Roots Chris Waller Damien Oliver 15 55kg 20 Asymmertical Trent Busuttin & Natalie Young Daniel Moor 12 55kg
2023 HKJC Stakes result
Recent HKJC Stakes results
- The Kiwi connection of Mark Walker and Opie Bosson have prevailed in the Group 3 Hong Kong Jockey Club Stakes, as Bosson piloted the Group 1 winning mare Skew Wiff ($6.00) to victory in the penultimate race of the day at Flemington on Melbourne Cup Day. After getting no luck at her previous start in the Group 2 Tristarc Stakes, the daughter of Savabeel got all the favours today on-speed, as Bosson kept her on the outside of runners and got into the three-wide running line on the home turn. By the time the field hit the 300m mark, all her rivals were off the bit and Bosson was yet to release the brakes on his mount, as she coasted up to the leaders by the 200m mark. Skew Wiff hit top gear at the 150m mark to move clear and had the race shot to bits before Foxy Cleopatra ($41.00) flew home to raise a challenge, but the margin was too great for the eventual winner, and she held for a soft victory.
- Larkspur Run was an emergency for the 2022 Hong Kong Jockey Club Stakes, but when she gained a start, didn’t let connections down. Jamie Kah gave this daughter of Shamardal a great ride before pushing the button at the 300m mark as she booted clear and put a winning margin by the 150m mark. A wall of six or seven horses were trying their best to chase her down, but they couldn’t get to Larkspur Run, and she recorded her first Group success.
- Rich Hips became the first horse to win the Hong Kong Jockey Club Stakes twice, as well as win the race in back-to-back years. Unlike her first win in 2020, Nash Rawiller took a rails run to blow the whistle and shoot through on the inside of runners, before careering away with a dominant 1.25 length victory.
- Rich Hips from the Trent Busuttin & Natalie Young yard flew home down the outside under the urgings of Michael Dee to blouse her rivals in the final strides. Dee was looking for runs for the entirety of the Flemington straight, and when a small gap appeared outside of runners and the daughter of Written Tycoon let down with a blistering turn of foot to claim her first Group victory of her career.
- The Mick & Michael Kent Jnr-trained Teleplay was given a peach of a ride by Nash Rawiller to run up the inside rail and run away with the HKJC Stakes. At the 300m mark, there wasn’t a run there for Rawiller, but he waited and waited and as the slowing leader rolled off the fence, he took the run and sprinted quickly to take the lead. The daughter of Written Tycoon made it two wins from two starts on Melbourne Cup Day, after she won the Listed MSS Security Sprint the year before.
HKJC Stakes winners
|HKJC Stakes Past Winners|
|2023||Skew Wiff||Opie Bosson||Skew Wiff|
|2022||Larkspur Run||Jamie Kah||James Cummings|
|2021||Rich Hips||Nash Rawiller||Trent Busuttin & Natalie Young|
|2020||Rich Hips||Michael Dee||Trent Busuttin & Natalie Young|
|2019||Teleplay||Nash Rawiller||Mick Price & Michael Kent Jnr|
|2018||Cool Passion||Tommy Berry||Tony McEvoy|
|2017||Pedrena||Mick Price||Michael Dee|
|2016||Artistry||Hugh Bowman||Peter & Paul Snowden|
|2015||Scarlet Billows||Craig Williams||Darren Weir|
|2014||Mahara||James McDonald||Paul Snowden|
|2013||Plucky Belle||Luke Nolen||Peter Moody|
|2012||Koonoomoo||Hugh Bowman||Simon Vercoe|
|2011||Sophie’s Spirit||Glyn Schofield||Max Hinton|
|2010||Jersey Lily||Craig Williams||Les Bridge|
|2009||Strawberry Field||Nicholas Hall||John O’Shea|
|2008||Neroli||Kerrin McEvoy||Peter Snowden|
|2007||Juste Momente||Hugh Bowman||Danny O’Brien|
|2006||Storm Signal||Damien Oliver||Peter Moody|
|2005||Vintner||Dwayne Dunn||David Hayes|