Begonia Belle Stakes
Group Three Betting Guide
|Date:||Saturday, November 2, 2024|
|Location:||Flemington Racecourse – Melbourne, Victoria|
The Group 3 Begonia Belle Stakes (1100m) is held at Flemington each year on VRC Derby Day, the opening day of the Melbourne Cup Carnival. The Begonia Belle Stakes is a race specifically designed for mares aged four years and older.
The race is named after Begonia Belle, a remarkable Newmarket champion. In 2016, the event was rescheduled to take place on Victorian Derby Day as part of a significant reorganisation of the racing carnival.
Initially, the Begonia Belle Stakes operated as a handicap race but attained Listed status in 2009. It further progressed to a Group 3 race starting from 2013.
Notable past winners include Sheidel, who claimed victory in 2016. Following her win, she went on to secure victory in the Group 1 Oakleigh Plate (1100m) the following autumn.
In 2011, the talented Ortensia emerged victorious in the Begonia Belle Stakes, displaying her exceptional skills. She then proceeded to achieve success in the Winterbottom Stakes and subsequently claimed victories in the Alquoz Sprint held in Meydan, just four months later.
Another remarkable mare, Tofane, secured triumph in the Begonia Belle Stakes, capping off her successful 2019 spring season. Following her victory in this race, she went on to win the All Aged Stakes (1400m) in the following autumn, further solidifying her reputation as a top-tier racehorse.
2024 Begonia Belle Stakes Betting Odds
Markets for the 2024 Begonia Belle Stakes are currently unavailable.
Best Begonia Belle Stakes bookmakers
All of our top bookmakers have markets for the Begonia Belle Stakes.
Most of the Melbourne Cup Carnival races have markets opened well in advance and the Group 3 Begonia Belle Stakes is no exception.
The best Begonia Belle Stakes betting sites have also got apps available, with these generally coming for Android and iOS smartphones and tablets.
Latest Begonia Belle Stakes News
2024 Begonia Belle Stakes Final Field
HorseBetting will update this page when the 2024 Begonia Belle Stakes final field is released.
Previous Begonia Belle Stakes Field
No. Silks Horse Trainer Jockey Barrier Weight 1 Zapateo James Cummings James McDonald 3 58kg 2 Queen of The Ball Michael Freedman Damien Oliver 12 57kg 3 Aitch Two Oh Richard & Chantelle Jolly Linda Meech 6 57kg 4 Red Card James Cummings Tim Clark 11 56kg 5 Lempicka Ken & Kasey Keys Blaike McDougall 7 56kg 6 Rose Quartz Grahame Begg Blake Shinn 1 55kg 7 Willinga Beast Kris Lees Jamie Spencer 9 55kg 8 Hypothetical Anthony & Sam Freedman Jamie Kah 8 55kg 9 Starlight Scope Pat Carey & Harris Walker Daniel Stackhouse 4 55kg 10 Dancing Alone Bryce Heys Billy Egan 10 55kg 11 Ghaanati Peter & Paul Snowden John Allen 2 55kg 12 South Of Houston Mick Price & Michael Kent (Jnr) Jye McNeil 5 55kg No. Silks Horse Trainer Jockey Barrier Weight 1 Seradess Mark & Levi Kavanagh Linda Meech 20 58kg 2 Asfoora Henry Dwyer John Allen 2 58kg 3 Zapateo James Cummings William Buick 17 57kg 4 Belluci Babe Bjorn Baker Craig Newitt 7 57kg 5 Fituese John Thompson Brett Prebble 19 57kg 6 Juan Diva Richard & Will Freedman Jye McNeil 11 57kg 7 Written Beauty Chris Waller James McDonald 16 56kg 8 Najmaty Peter & Paul Snowden Mark Zahra 12 56kg 9 A Very Fine Red Mark Newnham Joshua Parr 15 56kg 10 Isotope Tony Gollan Damian Lane 10 55kg 11 Enchanted Heart Kris Lees Damien Oliver 14 55kg 12 Apres La Mer Dean Binaisse Blaike McDougall 6 55kg 13 Diamonds Chris Bieg Callan Murray 1 55kg 14 Rose Quartz Grahame Begg Michael Dee 4 55kg 15 Sneaky Paige Mark Newnham Chad Schofield 5 55kg 16 Veranskova Cindy Alderson Daniel Moor 9 55kg 17 Shalstar Paul Messara Craig Williams 18 55kg 18 Jal Lei John O’Shea Ben Melham 3 55kg 19 Viviane Mathew Ellerton N/A 8 55kg 20 Libiamo Simon Zahra Matthew Cartwright 13 55kg
2023 Begonia Belle Stakes result
Recent Begonia Belle Stakes results
- They say it is best to strike when the iron is still hot, and that is exactly what Damien Oliver has done on Derby Day at Flemington, guiding Queen Of The Ball to victory in the Group 3 Begonia Belle Stakes. The Michael Freedman-trained galloper has been running in Sydney at her last three starts, but the stable chose to bring her back to Melbourne to run down the famous Flemington straight for the first time since her Coolmore Stud Stakes run on this day last year. Followers of Queen Of The Ball would have been puzzled by Oliver’s decision to take the natural front-runner to the back of the field, but when he let her go and she let down with an explosive turn of foot in the final 300m, they would have been very happy. As soon as Hypothetical and Dancing Alone appeared ready to fight out the finish, the daughter of I Am Invincible raced straight past them to record an easy one-length victory.
- A winner of the Group 2 Caulfield Sprint at her last start, Henry Dwyer’s Asfoora added the Group 3 Begonia Belle Stakes to an already imposing resume. The mare would go around as a $3.70 shot and despite needing to bring the field up to a tearaway leader, John Allen managed to get every bit out of his mount and would go on to score by just under a length.
- James McDonald became the second rider, after Michael Clarke, to win four races on Victoria Derby Day. Clarke achieved the feat 31 years ago, and following success aboard Home Affairs, Fangirl and Great House throughout the day, McDonald rewrote the records book in an ideal start to Melbourne Cup week. Minhaaj was sent around as a $3.70 favourite in the final race of the day, having previously won The Nivison at Group 3 at Randwick when last at the races. McDonald had Minhaaj stalking the speed along the inside rail and when asked to quicken at the 200m mark, Minhaaj quickened in smart fashion to go on and score in impressive fashion.
- Having won the Group 3 Northwood Plume Stakes at her previous start, Chris Waller’s Fiesta made it a second Group 3 win in as many starts as thundered down the grandstand side rail to claim victory in the Begonia Belle Stakes. Aided by a strong tempo out in front, Hugh Bowman was able to take his mount to the widest point of the track. With 100m to go, the classy mare put a length on her rivals in smart fashion and was never going to lose when kicking clear of outsiders Too Good Too Hard and Zaniah.
- After a Group 1 win on quality colt Exceedance in the Coolmore Stud Stakes, jockey Dwayne Dunn capped a successful Victoria Derby day with a victory on Tofane in the Begonia Belle Stakes. Dunn steered the Mike Moroney-trained Tofane to a 1.25-length success in the Group 3 for mares at Flemington, bringing up a winning double on the program for the jockey. Dunn was one of two riders to snare winning doubles on the day with champion jockey Damien Oliver winning the Group One Victoria Derby on Warning and the Group Two Wakeful Stakes on Miami Bound. Tofane ($6) defeated Pippie with Miss Iano another three quarters of a length away third. Dunn’s day also included a third placing on Soul Patch in the Victoria Derby.
Begonia Belle Stakes winners
|Begonia Belle Stakes Past Winners|
|2023||Queen Of The Ball||Damien Oliver||Michael Freedman|
|2022||Asfoora||John Allen||Henry Dwyer|
|2021||Minhaaj||James McDonald||John O’Shea|
|2020||Fiesta||Hugh Bowman||Chris Waller|
|2019||Tofane||Dwayne Dunn||Mike Moroney|
|2018||Divine Quality||Beau Mertens||Robbie Griffiths|
|2017||Lyuba||Damian Lane||Darren Weir|
|2016||Sheidel||Joao Moreira||David & Ben Hayes & Tom Dabernig|
|2015||Pittsburgh Flyer||James McDonald||Lee & Shannon Hope|
|2014||Vain Queen||Damien Oliver||John Sadler|
|2013||Dystopia||Hugh Bowman||Chris Waller|
|2012||Honey Flower||Glen Boss||Ross McDonald|
|2011||Ortensia||Darren Beadman||Paul Messara|
|2010||Status Symbol||Craig Newitt||Ken Keys|
|2009||Very Discreet||Dwayne Dunn||Richard Jolly|
|2008||Beaming||Nash Rawiller||Tony Noonan|