Group One Betting Guide
|Date:||Saturday, April 3, 2021|
The Tancred Stakes is one of the feature staying races of the Sydney Autumn carnival and it runs for a stake of $1.5 million.
The 2400m feature is held at Rosehill in late March and the weight-for-age contest has been won by some of Australia’s best stayers.
It is a true staying race and that shows in the past winners list. Names such as Eremein, Makybe Diva, Ethereal and Might And Power have won The Tancred Stakes in recent times, but the history goes back to when Bonecrusher won in 1986 and Kingston Town won in 1980.
That makes it one of the must-win races for budding stayers and we have race history, updated odds and recent running’s of the great race available for punters looking to secure some value.
The Tancred Stakes has been synonymous with mixing favourites and long-shot winners over its long history, so finding that early value is key for punters and signing up to one of our bookmakers is the best way to find it.
The Tancred Stakes has had several name changes over the years with it being known as The BMW or Mercedes Classic over the last 30 years, but in 2018 returned to having the name of The Tancred Stakes in honour of the former Sydney Turf Club chairman Henry Tancred.
2021 Tancred Stakes betting odds
Prior to nominations being released online bookmakers have made the 2020 Tancred Stakes winner Verry Elleegant a $3 favourite in her bid to go back to back in the Tancred Stakes. If the mare is to do so, she will become the first runner since Tie The Knot in 1999 and 2000 to win successive Tancred Stales.
Having beaten the favourite home in their first up run in the Apollo Stakes, the Godolphin trained Colette is on the second line of betting with odds of $6 available. If the track is rain affected you would think those odds would shorten even further.
Group 1 winners such as Avilius and Toffee Tongue have both had early support at each-way odds for the Tancred Stakes.
Best bookmakers for the The Tancred Stakes
The Tancred Stakes is one of the key races leading into the Sydney autumn with a ballot exemption available for the Queen Elizabeth Stakes and Sydney Cup a fortnight later. Many of the top bookmakers in Australia accept bets on the Tancred Stakes well in advance of the running, including the big names down under like Sportsbet and Neds, which are likely to have promotions running on such a big group 1 race.
All the bookmakers below offer early markets on the BMW. Read our comprehensive reviews below.
Tancred Stakes Betting Guide
The Tancred Stakes tends to attract a field littered with Group 1 stars as a win in the race over 2400m sees the winner exempt from the ballot for the Queen Elizabeth Stakes or Sydney Cup held a fortnight after the Tancred Stakes.
Since 2012 the biggest price you could have fetched for a winner in the Tancred Stakes was $4.50 when Fiveandahalfstar won the race in 2013, suggesting that the Tancred Stakes is a race favourite backers can punt in with a fair amount of confidence.
Despite only smaller fields that tend to compete in the Tancred Stakes the field attracts some of the best stayers in preparation in Sydney during the Autumn carnival.
John Hawkes is easily the most successful trainer in the Tancred Stakes with five winners in the race, whilst Shane Dye still holds the record for most wins as a jockey with five wins to his name.
Betting on the Tancred Stakes can be done via any number of Australian racing betting sites, with these companies generally have betting apps and mobile websites that allow racing wagering.
As a general rule the top Tancred Stakes betting sites will have extensive markets available on the group 1 race soon after it has been run each year, which is common in the outstanding racing industry down under. Some of the top betting sites we recommend for hose racing include Sportsbet and bet365.
2020 Tancred Stakes result
Recent Tancred Stakes Results
- Group 1 victories do not come any more impressive than Verry Elleegant’s win in the Tancred Stakes. Having made the home turn five lengths off the lead, Verry Ellegant under James McDonald was quick to put her rivals away in a couple of strides going on to win by 4 lengths in the 2020 Tancred Stakes. Having been sent around as a $2.15 favourite Verry Ellegant handed jockey James McDonald successive victories in the race after riding Avilius to victory in 2019.
- Avilius has long been the heir apparent to the throne Winx is about to vacate as Australia’s best racehorse and the champ did himself no disservice with a dominant Tancred win. The Godolphin runner settled towards the back of the field before being unleashed just before the turn. Avilius hit the front untouched at the 300m mark and streaked away to win in fashion.
- The 2016 Melbourne Cup winner Almandin had only won once in six attempts since claiming the race that stops a nation but the Lloyd Williams-owned runner wound back the clock in this one. The favourite raced just off the pace and presented at the optimal time to record his second Group 1 title.
- Pre-race favourite Jameka ($3.10) put a six and a half length margin between her and Australian Cup conquerer Humidor ($3.70), with Expspheric ($8) further back in third. Champion jockey Hugh Bowman was in the saddle for popular Victorian trainer Ciaron Maher. With Lasquety Spirit making the pace, Bowman expertly guided Jameka to a winning position at the turn, before bounding away for an easy victory in the popular feature. Read full report.
- Preferment was at the height of its powers in 2016 and the Chris Waller-trained horse proved too strong. The four-year-old lived up to its breeding by Zabeel by scoring a narrow victory. It settled midfield for jockey Hugh Bowman before taking off before the turn and holding off Who Shot Thebarman. Punters backed it into $4.50 – the same line as Montaigne which would later be sold to Hong Kong.
Tancred Stakes Past Winners List
|Tancred Stakes Past Winners|
|2020||Verry Elleegant||James McDonald||Chris Waller|
|2019||Avilius||James McDonald||James Cummings|
|2018||Almandin||Kerrin McEvoy||Liam Howley|
|2017||Jameka||Hugh Bowman||Ciaron Maher & David Eustace|
|2016||Preferment||Hugh Bowman||Chris Waller|
|2015||Hartnell||James McDonald||John O’Shea|
|2014||Silent Achiever||Nash Rawiller||Roger James|
|2013||Fiveandahalfstar||Hugh Bowman||Anthony Cummings|
|2012||Manighar||Luke Nolen||Peter Moody|
|2011||Cedarberg||Damien Oliver||Pat Carey|
|2010||Littorio||Craig Williams||Nigel Blackiston|
|2009||Fiumicino||Darren Beadman||Michael, Wayne & John Hawkes|
|2008||Tuesday Joy||Darren Beadman||Gai Waterhouse|
|2007||Blutigeroo||Damien Oliver||Colin Little|
|2006||Eremein||Glen Boss||Allan Denham|
|2005||Maykbe Diva||Glen Boss||Lee Freedman|
|2004||Grand Zulu||Rod Quinn||Gwenda Markwell|
|2003||Freemason||Darren Beadman||John Hawkes|
|2002||Ethereal||Scott Seamer||Sheila Laxon|
|2001||Curata Storm||Rod Quinn||John Hawkes|
|2000||Tie The Knot||Shane Dye||Guy Walter|
Tancred Stakes Past Winners Pre 2000
|Tancred Stakes Past Winners Pre 2000|
|1999||Tie The Knot|
|1998||Might And Power|
|1989||Our Poetic Prince|