Sky High Stakes
Group Three Betting Guide
|Date:||Saturday, March 12, 2022|
The Sky High Stakes is an annual Group 3 event run over 2,000 metres at Rosehill Racecourse.
The race boasts a mouthwatering $350,000 in total available cash prizes and eligibility is restricted to horses aged 3 years and older. Strict weight limits and penalty conditions are enforced as part of the regulations for this event.
First installed as a handicap race from 1989-1991, the Sky High Stakes became a listed race in 1992. From 2014 the race has been run at Group 3 level. From 1989 to 2014 the race was run over 1900 metres, before the decision was made to increase the Sky High Stakes to 2000m from 2015 onwards.
2022 Sky High Stakes betting odds
Markets for the 2022 Sky High Stakes are currently unavailable, but as soon as they are released then the team at Horse Betting will bring them to you as they come to hand.
Best Sky High Stakes bookmakers
All of our best online bookmakers have markets for the Sky High Stakes in the week leading up to the race.
Most of the Sydney autumn carnival races are covered early and the Sky High Stakes is one of those.
2021 Sky High Stakes result
Recent winners of the Sky High Stakes
- Toffee Tongue was superb when taking out the Australasian Oaks in May 2020, but had not tasted success until she took out the Sky High Stakes in fine style. Toffee Tongue broke a run of outs that lasted seven starts and close to 12 months, but showed a smart will to win when wearing down the leader of the race Spirit Ridge right on the winning post to score by a half head.
- It took some sort of training effort from the Hawkes team to take Master Of Wine from 1400m first up to the 2000m of the Sky High Stakes at his second up run. The move proved successful when the import smashed his rivals by 3.5 lengths, despite not being known as a runner who relishes the wet track. Despite finishing no better than third in his career on rain affected tracks, the win was even more impressive even if he saluted as a $2.20 favourite.
- Having taken out the Listed Parramatta Cup at his last start, Red Cardinal was sent around as a $3.80 in the Sky High Stakes. Having settled close to seven lengths off the leader on a Heavy 10, Red Cardinal had it all to do when entering the home straight. The Kris Lees-trained son of Montjeu charged home to bring up consecutive victories when beating home a handy field in trying conditions.
- Having entered the home straight 3.5 lengths off the leader, Auvray needed to produce a sharp turn of foot to take out the Sky High Stakes. He did more than produce a sharp turn of foot, he put his rivals to the sword in impressive fashion when going away from the over the final 100m to claim the Sky High Stakes by 1.5 lengths when beating home the race favourite Libran.
- The Australian Derby winner from 12 months prior, Tavago, was utterly dominant in the Sky High when smashing rivals by over three lengths. Needing to make up close to 10 lengths from the 800m mark, it was an amazing sustained sprint that saw Tavago charged through the gap provided, and then put a decent gap on his rivals over the final furlong.
Previous Winners of the Sky High Stakes winners
|Sky High Stakes Past Winners|
|2021||Toffee Tongue||Tom Marquand||Chris Waller|
|2020||Master Of Wine||Tommy Berry||Michael, Waynes & John Hawkes|
|2019||Red Cardinal||Kerrin McEvoy||Kris Lees|
|2018||Auvray||Glyn Schofield||Richard Freedman|
|2017||Tavago||Blake Shinn||Trent Busuttin & Natalie Young|
|2016||Sir John Hawkwood||Blake Spriggs||David Vandyke|
|2015||Hartnell||James McDonald||John O’Shea|
|2014||Entirely Platinum||Corey Brown||Michael, Wayne & John Hawkes|
|2013||Julienas||Nash Rawillers||Gai Waterhouse|
|2012||Single||Nathan Berry||Craig Carmody|
|2011||Older Than Time||Glen Boss||Gai Waterhouse|
|2010||Bellagio Wynn||Michael Rodd||Chris Waller|
|2009||Kettledrum||Kerrin McEvoy||David Payne|
|2008||Nuclear Sky||Jeff Lloyd||Jack Denham|
|2007||Coalesce||Darren Beadman||John Hawkes|
|2006||County Tyrone||Jim Cassidy||Kris Lees|
|2005||Seul Amour||Danny Beasley||Graeme Rogerson|
|2004||Daniel’s The Man||Glen Boss||Anne-Marie Ruttley|
|2003||National Treasure||Glen Boss||Gai Waterhouse|
|2002||Restless||Larry Cassidy||Gai Waterhouse|
|2001||Bello Signor||Brett Prebble||Mathew Ellerton|
|2000||Spysept||Darren Beadman||Cliff Bashford|
Sky High Stakes Past Winners Pre 2000
|Sky High Stakes Past Winners Pre 2000|
|1999||For The Moment|
|1989||Eye Of The Sky|