Group One Betting Guide
|Date:||Saturday, March 27, 2021|
|Location:||Rosehill Gardens Racecourse|
The Ranvet Stakes is a Group 1 weight-for-age contest over 2000m held at Rosehill in March and is considered one of the major lead-up races to The Championships.
Some of Australia’s best thoroughbreds have won the Ranvet Stakes, including back-to-back winners Tie The Knot and Theseo with the likes of Veandercross, Super Impose and Better Loosen Up also winning in years gone by.
In more recent times the Ranvet Stakes has been won by middle-distance horses that have the ability to see out longer trips. Avilius, Foreteller and The United States are three good examples of these staying types, which means the race is wide open to the betting public.
2021 Ranvet Stakes betting odds
Having taken out the 2020 Ranvet Stakes, the English-trained Addeybb looks set to return to Rosehill to defend his crown. Online bookmakers are not taking any risks, installing him as an even-money chance to take out the 2021 Ranvet Stakes with odds of $2 available.
The 2020 Caulfield Cup winner, Verry Elleegant, was only beaten 0.5 lengths in last year’s Ranvet Stakes and will be looking to turn the tables on Addeybb this year. The mare holds the second line of betting with odds of $3.50 on offer.
Colette from the Godolphin yard is the other runner in single figures at $5.50, whilst last year’s Cox Plate winner, Sir Dragonet, is at $11 to take out the 2021 Ranvet Stakes.
Best Ranvet Stakes bookmakers
Any bookmaker worth their salt installs Ravnet Stakes markets weeks prior to the race date.
The bookies below are the ones we believe you can trust:
Ranvet Stakes Betting Guide
With ballot exemptions for the Tancred Stakes, the Queen Elizabeth Stakes and the Sydney Cup, the Ranvet Stakes often attracts a high-quality field with runners aimed towards The Championships at Randwick.
Key form races in recent years have included the Sky High Stakes, the Ajax Stakes and the Group 1 Chipping Norton Stakes held at Randwick three weeks earlier.
For runners coming up from Melbourne, a win in the Australian Cup looks to be the right form heading to Sydney.
In the history of the Ranvet Stakes only one mare has won the race, with Silent Achiever taking out the title in 2014.
Gai Waterhouse is the leading trainer over the years with six wins in the Ranvet Stakes, while the likes of Glen Boss, Kerrin McEvoy and Nash Rawiller have been the jockeys to follow in recent time.
2020 Ranvet Stakes result
Recent Ranvet Stakes winners
- It was a battle of the Sydney heavyweights when Addeybb and Verry Elleegant went head to head in the Ranvet Stakes. Jockey Tom Marquand settled Addeybb at the front of the field with Verry Elleegant just to his outside. Marquand asked Addeybb to up the pace at the 600m mark and the duo paired off to battle it out in the home straight. Verry Elleegant ended up hitting the lead early on in the home straight before Marquand lifted his mount off the canvas and managed to hold a half length on Verry Elleegant over the final 100m to win in remarkable fashion.
- Avilius delivered in the Ranvet Stakes after a disappointing showing in the Australian Cup. The Godolphin runner settled towards the back of the field and while it looked like he was a bit off the pace the stayer drew to the front around the 100m mark and streaked away to record a comfortable win.
- Gailo Chop delivered a strong performance as a $2.05 favourite. Kicking out to an early front position, the Darren Weir runner ran the field into the ground from the front. At the 400m mark the horse took the front and streaked away, recording a three length win.
- Our Ivanhowe had been holding out for a rain-affected track since arriving in Australia for Freedman Racing and the patience paid off at Rosehill. The stayer was having its first start since running in the 2016 Melbourne Cup and the result was never in doubt as it cantered away from them in the straight. Race-favourite Hartnell chased gamely, but the bird had flown with Our Ivanhowe.Read a full report here.
- The United States was well-favoured to win the 2016 Ranvet Stakes and its class came through. The Robert Hickmott-trained six-year-old settled well back throughout the run before finding the gaps in the straight and bursting clear with Kerrin McEvoy in the saddle. Punters got a good price of $5.50 for the son of Galileo which was able to hold off the challenge from Hauraki which charged late.Read full report.
Ranvet Stakes past winners list
|Ranvet Stakes Past Winners|
|2020||Addeybb||Tom Marquand||William Haggas|
|2019||Avilius||Kerrin McEvoy||James Cummings|
|2018||Galio Chop||Mark Zahra||Darren Weir|
|2017||Our Ivanhowe||Kerrin McEvoy||Lee & Anthony Freedman|
|2016||The United States||Kerrin McEvoy||Robert Hickmott|
|2015||Contributer||James McDonald||John O’Shea|
|2014||Silent Achiever||Nash Rawiller||Roger James|
|2013||Foreteller||Jim Cassidy||Chris Waller|
|2012||Manighar||Luke Nolen||Peter Moody|
|2011||Zavite||Glen Boss||Anthony Cummings|
|2010||Theseo||Nash Rawiller||Gai Waterhouse|
|2009||Theseo||Nash Rawiller||Gai Waterhouse|
|2008||Tuesday Joy||Darren Beadman||Gai Waterhouse|
|2007||Desert War||Hugh Bowman||Gai Waterhouse|
|2006||Eremein||Glen Boss||Allan Denham|
|2005||Grand Armee||Darren Beasley|
|2004||Sound Action||Wayne Hokai||Roberta Maguire|
|2003||Republic Lass||Glen Boss||Guy Walter|
|2002||Universal Prince||Justin Sheehan||Bede Murray|
|2001||Tie The Knot||Patrick Payne||Guy Walter|
|2000||Tie The Knot||Shane Dye||Guy Walter|
Ranvet Stakes Past Winners Pre 2000
|Ranvet Stakes Past Winners Pre 2000|
|1992||My Eagle Eye|
|1990||Better Loosen Up|
|1965||Time And Tide|
|1942||Race Not Held|
|1921||Richmond Main / Poitrel|
|1913||Race Not Held|