|Date:||Saturday, January 4, 2020|
|Location:||Ascot Racecourse, Perth|
The Perth Cup is one of Australia’s first major races of the new year and is a must-watch event for the west of the country.
A Group 2 event worth $500,000, the Perth Cup is held under handicap conditions and is conducted at Western Australia’s premier track, Ascot Racecourse.
The race is the official conclusion to Perth’s Summer Racing Carnival, which also features the trio of Group 1 events the Railway Stakes, the Winterbottom Stakes and the Kingston Town Classic.
2020 Perth Cup betting odds
There are no odds yet available for the 2020 Perth Cup.
Check back closer to race day for updated odds on the first major race of the new year.
Perfect Jewel ($8) is the only other runner in single figures.
Best Perth Cup bookmakers
When the year comes to a close racing focus shifts to the west of the country, with plenty of action geared towards the Perth Summer Racing Carnival.
After the Group 1 events are done and out of the way the Perth Cup gets all the attention, with markets usually in place at least a fortnight in advance of the race.
Perth Cup betting strategy
As with any major race in Western Australia, it pays to follow the Bob Peters’ owned runners.
In 2018 Material Man managed to break a run of three-straight Perth Cup victories for Peters, but his horse Royal Star still managed to round out the placings.
In fact, you have to go all the way back to 2014 for a Bob Peters runner not to place in the Perth Cup.
As a general rule, any horse donning the pink and white in a Perth group race is going to be hard to beat, but in particular the Perth Cup.
2019 Perth Cup result
Recent Perth Cup runnings
- Star Western Australian jockey delivered a masterful performance to guide Bob Peters’ owned Star Exhibit to a second Perth Cup. The pre-race betting was all about the fellow Peters runner Action, and once William Pike took the favourite to the front in the straight the race looked sewn up. Star Exhibit surged to the line late however to secure Bob Peters a record eighth Perth Cup.
- In one of the tightest finishes in recent Perth Cup history Material Man held out Pounamu in a photo finish. Material Man took to the front early in the piece, but conceded the lead to Trap For Fools to get a beautiful tail into the race. As the straight approached the leader began to wilt, but the run appeared and Material Man pounced. The winner looked like he had pinched a winning break but Pounamu found an opening on the inside and surged to the line like a steamtrain but narrowly missed out on toppling Material Man.
- The Bob Peters runners fought out the finish in the 2016 NYE Perth Cup with Star Exhibit just holding on from a fast-finishing Neverland. After settling midfield, Star Exhibit came four wide at the turn and looked to have the race in hand before Neverland began to flash on the outside. It was impossible to tell on the line, with a photo having to separate the pair. For the second year running Neverland ran second in the Perth Cup.
- Delicacy was the main fancy of the punters heading into the 2016 Perth Cup and the favourite didn’t let them down, even if there was a moment of panic heading into the straight. With a wall of horses in front of Peter Hall, the jockey launched a run down the inside and the rails gap appeared. Delicacy then quickened like a favourite should, running down stablemate Neverland on the line to win the Cup. Real Love ran third to complete a Perth Cup trifecta for Bob Peters.
- Bob Peters’ love affair with the Perth Cup continued as front-runner Real Love completed a start-to-finish win underneath William Pike. Spearing out to an early lead Real Love ambled along untroubled in front, and when the moment came the horse responded, delivering a dominant Perth Cup performance.
- In one of the more imporbable Perth Cup victories, Black Tycoon pierced his way to the front to claim the prize, beating a wall of horses to the line. Coming to the turn Black Tycoon was buried in the second half of the field and looked bereft of hope but gun hoop Damien Oliver found the gap and the horse obliged, surging to the line to beat out God Has Spoken, which came hard on the outside.
Past Perth Cup winners list
|Year||Perth Cup Past Winner|
|1999||King Of Saxony|
|1998||Heed The Toll|
|1990||Word Of Honour|
|1988||Linc The Leopard|
|1921||Earl Of Seafield|