New Zealand Oaks
Group One Betting Guide
|Date:||Saturday, March 19, 2022|
The Group 1 New Zealand Oaks is a 2400m staying event for three-year-old fillies held on the third Saturday in March at Trentham Racecourse.
Run under set weight conditions, the NZ$400,000 race consistently attracts a strong field and often serves as a good form reference for feature events later in the year.
Having been run at Riccarton until 1972 and over only 2000m until 1974, the New Zealand Oaks has produced some of the nation’s very best horses.
Subsequent Group 1 winners like Glamour Bay and Bonneval have used the NZ Oaks as a launching pad to further success, while Princess Coup announced herself in the race before going on to finish third in a Caulfield Cup.
The 1998 NZ Oaks winner, Tycoon Lil, would go on to finish third in the Cox Plate behind the legendary Might And Power.
With the ATC Oaks run three weeks after the New Zealand Oaks, connections will often send their horse to Sydney to contest the $1,000,000 race.
2022 New Zealand Oaks betting odds
The 2022 New Zealand Oaks odds as of March 19 look like this:
- Self Obsession – $2.40
- Le Villi – $6.00
- The Perfect Pink – $7.00
- Bellatrix Black – $10.00
- Aspen Colorado – $13.00
- Glory Bound – $13.00
- Achieve – $15.00
- Mustang Valley – $16.00
Best New Zealand Oaks bookmakers
All the bookmakers listed below have, or will have, New Zealand Oaks betting markets available. Follow the links in the table to find the latest odds for the Trentham feature.
Latest New Zealand Oaks news
New Zealand Oaks statistics
Despite no jockey winning the race on more than one occasion in the past 10 year, it is still the legendary Opie Bosson punters should follow when looking to find a winner in the New Zealand Oaks.
The hoop is one of two jockeys with five wins (2000, 2003, 2007, 2010, 2021) in the race, with Chris Johnson also tasting success in the race five times.
Greg Childs is the next best with four wins, with all of those coming in the 1980s.
Shaune Ritchie has had a stranglehold on the New Zealand Oaks since 2010, with the trainer having success in 2010, 2012 and 2020.
The New Zealand Oaks has often catapulted horses to further Group 1 success, both locally and in Australia.
La Mer (1977), Glamour Bay (1981), Solveig (1985), Tycoon Lil (1998), Legs (2006), Princess Coup (2007) and Savvy Coup (2018) have all claimed the New Zealand Oaks on their way to subsequent Group success.
2022 New Zealand Oaks result
Recent New Zealand Oaks runnings
- Favourite punters were panicking when the gates flung open in the 2021 New Zealand Oaks when Amaerlinha seemingly jumped in the air and almost dislodged jockey Opie Bosson. The move cost her early momentum and forced Bosson to track three-wide leaving the home straight the first time, before Bosson was able to slot into a nice position one-off the fence in midfield. From there on the result appeared to be in little doubt as Bosson sent Amarelinha forward to challenge on the home turn and then urged her two lengths clear with a brilliant burst of speed. Amarelinha’s win handed Bosson his record-equalling fifth win in the New Zealand Oaks, tied with Chris Johnson for the most wins in the race.
- Having drawn out wide, Jason Waddell needed to be at his very best to help steer Jennifer Eccles to victory in the New Zealand Oaks. Having claimed the Fillies’ classic and Lowland Stakes in the lead up to the event, she was a red-hot favourite to claim the event and despite drawing barrier 18 was still far too good for her rivals. Waddell weaved his way across the wide Trentham straight, and within 300m he had found a perfect midfield position, one off the rail. She soared to the front in the straight, and despite starting to tire over the last 100m, she cruised to an emphatic victory by a length and a half. The win handed trainer Shaune Ritchie a third win in the race.
- The Lisa Latta-trained Sentimental Miss was a class above in the New Zealand Oaks when saluting by over a length. Despite being sent around as a $21 chance, Lisa Allpress helped make the filly look like a well-fancied runner when having her settled close to the speed throughout. Having only partnered Sentimental Miss on debut to a second-place result at Otaki, it was Lisa Allpress’ second start aboard the filly and she managed to hand a massive group of connections a Group 1 win with the talented, yet inconsistent filly.
- Father and son training duo Michael & Matthew Pitman etched themselves in to the Group 1 record books when Savvy Coup claimed a smart win in the 2018 New Zealand Oaks. The win handed jockey Chris Johnson a record-breaking fifth win in the race, some 20 years after bringing up his fourth win. Savvy Coup settled midfield on the outer before Johnson made his move 800m from home. Despite seemingly hitting the lead a long way out from home, Savvy Coup kept kicking in the home straight to hold off market rival by just over a length.
- The Murray Baker & Andrew Forsman-trained Bonneval was breathtaking when claiming the 2017 New Zealand Oaks. She sat second last the outer and moved wide across the top and crucially missed two fallers before sweeping up third turning for home. Once she led at the 300m then the rest had their work cut out as this filly knows what the winning post is for and ended up scoring by half a length in 2:31.99.
New Zealand Oaks winners list (2000-now)
|New Zealand Oaks Past Winners|
|2021||Amarelinha||Opie Bosson||Jamie Richards|
|2020||Jennifer Eccles||Jason Waddell||Shaune Ritchie|
|2019||Sentimental Miss||Lisa Allpress||Lisa Latta|
|2018||Savvy Coup||Chris Johnson||Michael & Matthew Pitman|
|2017||Bonneval||Matt Cameron||Murray Baker & Andrew Forsman|
|2016||Fanatic||Malcolm Hills||Graeme Sanders|
|2015||Savaria||Hayden Tinsley||Roydon Bergerson|
|2014||Miss Mossman||Jonathan Parkes||John Sargent & Hayden Allen|
|2013||More Than Sacred||Leith Innes||Tony Pike & Mark Donoghue|
|2012||Miss Artistic||Michael Coleman||Shaune Ritchie|
|2011||Midnight Oil||Rosie Myers||Paul Duncan|
|2010||Keep The Peace||Opie Bosson||Shaune Ritchie|
|2009||Jungle Rocket||James McDonald||Jeff McVean|
|2008||Boundless||Hayden Tinsley||Stephen McKee|
|2007||Princess Coup||Opie Bosson||Mark Walker|
|2006||Legs||David Walker||Kevin Gray|
|2005||Justa Tad||Vincent Colgan||Rudy Liefting|
|2004||Wharite Princess||Bruce Herd||Lisa Latta|
|2003||Bramble Rose||Opie Bosson||Mark Todd|
|2002||Vapour Trail||Scott Seamer||Donna Logan|
|2001||Tapildo||Mark Du Plessis||Sheila Laxon|
|2000||She’s Country||Opie Bosson||Bruce Wallace|
New Zealand Oaks past winners (pre-2000)
|New Zealand Oaks Past Winners Pre 2000|
|1973||Race Not Held|