Levin Turf Classic NZ
Group One Betting Guide
|Date:||Saturday, March 19, 2022|
The Group 1 Levin Turf Classic is one of New Zealand’s premier thoroughbred races.
Having previously been held at Levin or Otaki on the last Friday in November, the 1600m set-weights feature for three-year-olds was transferred to Trentham in 2014 and is now run alongside the Telegraph Handicap in mid-January.
As of 2022, the race has been moved to the middle of March in line with NZ Oaks Day.
And as a result, the Wellington Guineas will move from Oaks Day to January in a straight swap.
Amongst the list of winners of the Levin Turf Classic is the legendary Bonecrusher, who took out the race in 1985.
Best bookmakers for Levin Classic betting
All regulated online bookmakers in Australia and New Zealand will offer odds on the Group 1 Levin Turf Classic, but only a few of them will run futures betting on the race.
Sportsbet.com.au is the first to release a market for the Trentham feature, allowing punters to place all-in bets months in advance.
The following bookmakers will have form and markets for the Levin Turf Classic:
Levin Turf Classic statistics & records
A trainer to follow in the Levin Turf Classic is Murray Baker, who has masterminded four wins in the Group 1. Stephen McKee (3), Mike Moroney (2) and Dave & Paul O’Sullivan (2) are the other trainers with multiple successes in the race.
Like many of the New Zealand Group 1 races, Opie Bosson has enjoyed plenty of success in the Levin Classic over the years having won the race four times when in the saddle. Hayden Tinsley, Lance O’Sullivan and Leith Innes have all ridden the winner three times.
On the Levin Turf Classic honour roll, you will find some of New Zealand’s best horses with Bonecrusher (1985), Veandercross (1991), O’Reilly (1996), Tit For Taat (2000) and Wahid (2005) all saluting in the race.
In 2008, the Mike & Paul Moroney-trained Altered Image set the record for the fastest-run Levin Turf Classic, going around in 1:32.50.
2021 Levin Turf Classic result
— TAB Racing (@TAB_Racing) January 16, 2021
Recent Levin Turf Classic winners
- Talented three-year-old Bonham showed she is a filly of the highest quality when winning the Group 1 Levin Classic and in the process knocked off the $1.80 favourite Brando. The filly was made to earn her victory the hard way having travelled wide without cover for the majority of the race having jumped from a wide barrier. Taken forward by rider Lisa Allpress to challenge for the lead rounding the home bend, Bonham kicked clear early in the straight before holding out the late charge of Brando to capture her fourth win from just five starts for owner Gary Harding.
- Ben Foote became a Group 1 winning trainer when his three-year-old filly Travelling Light knocked off her male rivals in the Levin Classic. The former jumps jockey now trainer worked closely with jockey Samantha Collett to conjure up a plan to help bring home Group 1 glory which seemingly worked to perfection. Collett had Travelling Light back on the fence on a muddling speed before tracking up behind race favourite Harlech approaching the home bend. Harlech took over with 300m to run and looked to be travelling comfortably but Collett was biding her time on Travelling Light who pounced and went on to win by a length.
- Having taken out the Group 1 New Zealand 2000 Guineas, the Murray Baker & Andrew Forsman-trained Madison County became a dual Group 1 winner when taking out the Levin Classic. Carrying the familiar colours of the China Horse Club, Madison County was sent out the short-priced favourite and punters were on good terms with themselves as rider Matt Cameron settled his him midfield on the rail. Although saving ground on the fence, Madison County became trapped behind horses coming into the straight until Cameron found clear running at the 250m and Madison County sprinted away from Hypnos and Vernanme, who dead-heated for second.
- Having jumped as the New Zealand Derby favourite, the Jamie Richards & Stephen Autridge-trained Age Of Fire stormed home late to claim victory in the Levin Classic. He need a 10/10 steer from jockey Opie Bosson when finding trouble and needing to settle four pairs back on the fence, but the legendary jockey had him in a winning position when it mattered most. The strapping three-year-old son of Fastnet Rock let down impressively in the straight to account for the fillies Belle Du Nord and Savvy Coup with the longshot Rock On Wood fourth.
- Having returned to New Zealand from Hong Kong in the November, Ope Bosson teamed up with Stephen Autridge & Jamie Richards when taking out the 2017 Levin Classic with Hall Of Fame. Hall Of Fame jumped out smartly from barrier one to be handy on the rail, but with around 1000m to run, Bosson took him off the fence to follow Savile Row. Bosson felt Hall Of Fame and Savile Row had over-raced badly in the middle stages due to a lack of pace in the race.
Levin Turf Classic past winners list
|Levin Turf Classic Past Winners|
|2021||Bonham||Lisa Allpress||Johno Benner & Hollie Wynyard|
|2020||Travelling Light||Samantha Collett||Ben Foote|
|2019||Madison County||Matthew Cameron||Murray Baker & Andrew Forsman|
|2018||Age Of Fire||Opie Bosson||Stephen Autridge & Jamie Richards|
|2017||Hall Of Fame||Opie Bosson||Stephen Autridge & Jamie Richards|
|2016||Dukedom||Lisa Allpress||Steven Cole|
|2015||Gaultier||Michael Coleman||Danica Guy|
|2014||Recite||Mark Du Plessis||John Bary|
|2013||Race Not Held|
|2012||Southern Lord||Kelly Myers||Alan Tait|
|2011||Distill||Robert Hannam||Roydon Bergerson|
|2010||We Can Say It Now||Leith Innes||Murray & Bjorn Baker|
|2009||Eileen Dubh||Jonathan Riddell||Francis Finnegan|
|2008||Altered Image||Michael Coleman||Mike & Paul Moroney|
|2007||Keepa Crusin||Leith Innes||Stephen McKee|
|2006||Porotene Gem||David Walker||Kevin Gray|
|2005||Wahid||Hayden Tinsley||Allan Sharrock|
|2004||Ambitious Owner||Leith Innes||Murray Baker|
|2003||Russian Pearl||Hayden Tinsley||Bruce & Stephen Marsh|
|2002||Bunker||Opie Bosson||Trevor & Stephen McKee|
|2001||Final Destination||Gary Grylls||Vannessa Hillis|
|2000||Tit For Taat||Hayden Tinsley||Wayne Herbert|
Levin Turf Classic winners pre-2000
|Levin Turf Classic Past Winners Pre-2000|
|1997||Love De Tor|