Hong Kong Classic Mile
Group One Betting Guide
|Date:||January 30, 2022|
|Location:||Sha Tin Racecourse, Hong Kong|
The Hong Kong Classic Mile is a Group 1 race restricted to four-year-olds, held over 1600m in late January each year.
Owners and trainers alike will be seeking victory in the Hong Kong Classic Mile as it will book them a coveted place in the BMW Hong Kong Derby.
2022 Hong Kong Classic Mile Odds
The 2022 Hong Kong Classic Mile odds as of January 29 look like this:
- Packing Victory – $3.00
- California Spangle – $4.50
- Romantic Warrior – $7.00
- The Irishman – $8.00
- Master Delight – $10.00
- Fa Fa – $11.00
- Sight Spirit – $14.00
Best bookmakers for Hong Kong Classic Mile
All of HorseBetting’s recommended online bookmakers run markets for the Hong Kong Classic Mile each year, including all-in and futures options. Check out the licensed betting sites below to find the best odds for the 2022 Hong Kong Mile.
Hong Kong Classic Mile history
Many a superstar-to-be has competed in the Hong Kong Classic Mile. Beauty Flash, Rapper Dragon, Beauty Only and Golden Sixty all won the race before going on to international Group 1 glory, the latter two winning the 2016 and 2020 Hong Kong Mile respectively.
Since 2000, Tony Cruz (2007, 20008, 2010 & 2015) and John Moore (2004, 2006, 2014, 2017) have claimed the most Hong Kong Classic Mile’s, whilst in recent years John Size has managed to pick up three wins since 2016. Both Danny Shum and Ivan Allen are the other two trainers to have won the race on multiple occasions since 2000.
It is no shock to see Joao Moreira leading the jockey ranks since the turn of the century, with the iconic hoop claiming the race on three seperate occasions, with two in partnership with John Moore. In what is somewhat of a shock, legendary Aussie hoops Hugh Bowman, Brett Prebble and Shane Dye have all found their names on the Hong Kong Classic Mile honour roll.
In 2014, the John Moore-trained Able Friend set the fastest time ever ran in a Hong Kong Classic Mile with a 1:33.43 under Joao Moreira.
2021 Hong Kong Classic Mile result
Previous Hong Kong Classic Mile runnings
- Excellent Proposal rose to the top of Hong Kong’s four-year-old pecking order with an impressive win in the Hong Kong Classic Mile. The son of Exceed And Excel managed to get the better of his more fancied stablemate Lucky Express, to hand John Size the quinella in the race and further strengthening his hand throughout the four-year-old classic series. The Australian-bred chestnut arrived in Hong Kong with a rating of 75, but following his win in the Hong Kong Classic Mile will see him spend the remainder of his career with a rating of 100+.
- Golden Sixty took his career record to eight wins from nine starts when taking out the Hong Kong Classic Mile. Golden Sixty positioned third-last on the fence in the nine-runner contest, switched wide entering the straight and quickened decisively from 350m out to clock a closing 400m split of 22.24s. He did plenty wrong in the running having raced keenly throughout and wanted to lay in when sprinting for home, but Golden Sixty’s class prevailed defeating stablemate More Than This by just over a length.
- Frankie Lor and Hugh Bowman made their presence known in Hong Kong when Furore smashed his rivals by 2.25 lengths in the Hong Kong Classic Mile. The four-year-old son of Pierro stormed home in a final 400m split of 22.25s with the $5.40 chance proving too strong for his rivals late and stamping his claim as the horse to beat throughout the four-year-old classic series.
- Joao Moreira made it consecutive wins in the Hong Kong Classic when the $1.60 favourite Nothingilike more took out the 2018 edition. Having made his move approaching the home turn, the John Size-trained son of Husson showed his class when going on to defeat Singapore Sling by just over a length.
- Punter’s elect Rapper Dragon was far too good for his rivals in the 2017 Hong Kong Classic Mile. The four-year-old son of Street Boss used the Hong Kong Classic Mile as a catapult to go on and clean sweep the Four-Year-Old Classic Series and claiming the Hong Kong Classic Cup and BMW Hong Kong Derby.
Previous Hong Kong Classic Mile winners
|Hong Kong Classic MilePast Winners|
|2021||Excellent Proposal||Blake Shinn||John Size|
|2020||Golden Sixty||Vincent Ho||Francis Lui|
|2019||Furore||Hugh Bowman||Frankie Lor|
|2018||Nothingilikemore||Joao Moreira||John Size|
|2017||Rapper Dragon||Joao Moreira||John Moore|
|2016||Sun Jewellery||Ryan Moore||John Size|
|2015||Beauty Only||Neil Callan||Tony Cruz|
|2014||Able Friend||Joao Moreira||John Moore|
|2013||Gold-Fun||Douglas Whyte||Richard Gibson|
|2012||Sweet Orange||Weichong Marwing||David Ferraris|
|2011||Lucky Nine||Brett Prebble||Caspar Fownes|
|2010||Beauty Flash||Christophe Soumillon||Tony Cruz|
|2009||Thumbs Up||Christophe Soumillon||Danny Shum|
|2008||Helene Mascot||Felix Coetzee||Tony Cruz|
|2007||Floral Pegasus||Gerald Mosse||Tony Cruz|
|2006||Sunny Sing||Eric Saint-Martin||John Moore|
|2005||Scintillation||Gerald Mosse||Danny Shum|
|2004||Tiber||Douglas Whyte||John Moore|
|2003||Self Flit||Eddy Lai||Ivan Allan|
|2002||Olympic Express||Weichong Marwing||Ivan Allan|
|2001||Charming City||Shane Dye||David Hayes|
|2000||Industrialist||Jimmy Ting||Brian Kan|
Winners of the Hong Kong Classic Mile Pre 2000
|Hong Kong Classic Mile Past Winners Pre 2000|