George Ryder Stakes
Group One Betting Guide
|Date:||Saturday, March 18, 2023|
THE George Ryder Stakes is a group one race for three-year-olds and over ran under weight-for-age conditions across the 1500m, held every year at Rosehill in Sydney.
The race is typically ran in March as part of Golden Slipper Day and is worth $1,000,000, although it has not always been the case over the 120-year history. It only became a group 1 event in 1980.
The race is an important one in the Sydney autumn racing carnival given the winner of the George Ryder is exempt from the ballot of the Doncaster Mile.
Originally ran as the Railway Stakes, the George Ryder Stakes was renamed in 1974 after George E. Ryder who was a racing administrator, stud master and businessman.
Given the race is a preamble to the Doncaster Mile, the George Ryder Stakes can be a great indicator of success in the prestigious race.
In the last 15 years four horses, Winx (2016), Vision And Power (2009), Racing To Win in 2007 and Haradasun in 2006 have gone on to claim the Doncaster Mile after claiming the George Ryder Stakes.
Best George Ryder Stakes bookmakers
The George Ryder Stakes is one of the biggest races of the Sydney autumn, which means all-in markets open months in anticipation of the race.
The regular tote and fixed odds markets open typically a week before the race, but that will vary from bookmaker to bookmaker.
2023 George Ryder Stakes betting odds
Markets for the 2023 George Ryder Stakes are currently unavailable.
Latest George Ryder Stakes news
George Ryder Stakes betting guide
Despite some hot priced favourites in Winx and Pierro getting the job done in the George Ryder in recent times, the race has not always been kind to the bookies’ elect.
Since 1983 there has been 11 double-figured price winners in the group one race, averaging a return of just over $18.
To further compound the woes of favourite backers, just five favourites in the last decade have taken out the race, largely thanks to Winx winning four George Ryder Stakes in successive years.
The race has invariably been a male-dominated group one. In 2016 Winx snapped a 30 year streak of dominance by male horses in the George Ryder Stakes.
Jockey Hugh Bowman is one to follow in the George Ryder Stakes, with six wins to his name in the great race, with four aboard Winx. Whilst superstar trainer Chris Waller has notched up seven wins in the Group 1 event.
2022 George Ryder Stakes result
Recent George Ryder Stakes winners
- Having claimed the Canterbury Stakes at her last start, Forbidden Love picked up consecutive Group 1 wins when taking out the George Ryder Stakes. With speed put into the race early, Hugh Bowman opted to restrain his mare and have settled midfield three back on the rails and bide his time. The careful approach proved to be a winning move, with a gap coming approaching the home turn, Bowman was essentially swinging off the mare and when asked to quicken put her rivals away with purpose.
- Think It Over has handed Kembla trainer Kerry Parker his second Group 1 victory after taking out the 2021 George Ryder Stakes at Rosehill. The five-year-old was ridden to victory by Glen Boss, having the tough barrier draw Think It Over was forced to sit in the shadows at the back of the pack until the opening came close to the rail where the five-year-old gelding was able to move to the front and hold off Dreamforce and a fast finishing Avilius to get up.
- Dreamforce and The Bostonian were the first two out and they were the first two home! The John Thompson-trained Dreamforce had finished third behind Winx in 2019, but managed to take out his first Group 1, by holding out the fast finishing The Bostonian in a brilliant front running ride by Nash Rawiller. Te Akau Shark had been backed into an odds-on favourite for the 2020 George Ryder Stakes but could do no better than a third place finish.
- Winx was in this race. Nothing more needs to be said. For the purposes of history however we will run you through the race. Jumping out to a comfortable position, Hugh Bowman just let Winx do her thing, staying three-wide for the trip before coming four-wide before the turn. As you can imagine it didn’t matter, Winx put the race to bed before the 300m to record a fourth-straight success in the George Ryder.
- It was a record-setting day for Winx as the mighty mare recorded yet another Group 1 win. Settling midfield it was only a matter of when, not if, Winx would win. Sailing past early pace maker Invincible Gem and cruised to victory ahead of Happy Clapper and Kementari.
- Winx again proved that it’s the queen of the turf by winning its second consecutive George Ryder Stakes and 16th consecutive race overall. The Chris Waller-trained champion mare cruised up to the opposition around the turn at Rosehill before putting up multiple lengths on the field. Jockey Hugh Bowman never asked the mare to fully extend in the heavy conditions and the win was considered one of Winx’s greatest feats.
The 2016 edition of the George Ryder Stakes was all about one horse – Winx. The superstar Waller runner came into the race as one of the shortest priced favourites in a long while. The $1.90 favourite did not disappoint in completing a dominant 1.5 length win. Read a full report.
- Japanese raider Real Impact came into the race as a double figure outsider, but when it found the front early in the race it looked like an upset could be on the cards. In the latter stages of the race the more fancied Criterion matched strides and headed Real Impact in the final 100m, but the Japanese horse found something on the line and won a tight photo.
- Notch up another win for the international raiders. Irish star Gordon Lord Byron was not expected to make much of an impact in its Australian debut but the gelding stunned the Australian racing scene. After getting a solid run in transit the despised outsider pinched a beautiful run on the inside and surged to the line to topple Speediness in the shadows of the post.
- It is not often the short-priced favourites have saluted over the last 10 years in the George Ryder but Waterhouse superstar Pierro certainly bucked that trend in 2013. The shortest priced favourite in the history of the race ($1.35) did not have it all its own way but saluted to send favourite backers home happy.
George Ryder Stakes Honour Roll
|George Ryder Stakes Past Winners|
|2022||Forbidden Love||Hugh Bowman||Richard & Michael Freedman|
|2021||Think It Over||Glen Boss||Kerry Parker|
|2020||Dreamforce||Nash Rawiller||John Thompson|
|2019||Winx||Hugh Bowman||Chris Waller|
|2018||Winx||Hugh Bowman||Chris Waller|
|2017||Winx||Hugh Bowman||Chris Waller|
|2016||Winx||Hugh Bowman||Chris Waller|
|2015||Real Impact||James McDonald||Noriyuki Hori|
|2014||Gordon Lord Byron||Craig Williams||Tom Hogan|
|2013||Pierro||Nash Rawiller||Gai Waterhouse|
|2012||Metal Bender||Michael Rodd||Chris Waller|
|2011||Rangirangdoo||Corey Brown||Chris Waller|
|2010||Danleigh||Hugh Bowman||Chris Waller|
|2009||Vision And Power||Jim Cassidy||Joseph Pride|
|2008||Weekend Hussler||Brad Rawiller||Ross McDonald|
|2007||Haradasun||Glen Boss||Tony Vasil|
|2006||Racing To Win||Glen Boss||John O’Shea|
|2005||Court’s In Session||Hugh Bowman||Guy Walter|
|2004||Lonhro||Darren Beadmean||John Hawkes|
|2003||Lonhro||Darren Beadmean||John Hawkes|
|2002||Lord Essex||Richard Quinn||John Hawkes|
|2001||Landsighting||Corey Brown||Noel Mayfield-Smith|
|2000||Al Mansour||Lenny Beasley||John Size|
George Ryder Stakes Past Winners Pre 2000
|George Ryder Stakes Past Winners Pre 2000|
|1986||Heat Of The Moment|
|1982||Pure Of Heart|
|1967||Time And Tide|
|1964||Time And Tide|
|1960||Man Of Iron|
|1942||Race Not Held|
|1935||Sarcherie / High|
|1932||Myles La Coplen|
|1930||Sir Chrystopher / Greenline|
|1927||Fujisan / Cavedweller|
|1922||Sir Maitland / Braehead|
|1913||Race Not Held|