King Charles III Stakes
Group One Betting Guide
|Date:||October 12, 2024|
|Location:||Randwick Racecourse – Sydney, New South Wales|
A major Sydney spring carnival race, the King Charles III Stakes is in honour of its namesake, King Charles III.
The 1600m Group 1 is typically held at Randwick in September. But from 2023 will be run on the same day as The Everest during the middle of October
The weight-for-age feature has been won by some of Australia’s champion thoroughbreds and there will be many horses vying to add their names to the list this year. Anamoe, Verry Elleegant, Winx, Imposing, Kingston Town, Vo Rogue, Lonhro and More Joyous are just a handful of past winners of the King Charles III.
Known as the George Main Stakes up until 2023, the race was renamed to the King Charles III Stakes in honour of the new monarch.
2024 King Charles III Stakes betting odds
Odds for the 2024 King Charles III Stakes are currently unavailable.
Best King Charles III Stakes bookmakers
The bookmakers below offer markets on the King Charles III Stakes. Click on any of the links to read a comprehensive review.
Latest King Charles III Stakes News
King Charles III Stakes betting guide
Favourites punters rejoice come King Charles III Stakes time. Mainly due to the fact that superstar Winx won the race on three consecutive occasions between 2016-2018.
King Charles III Stakes favourites had saluted for six straight years between 2014-2019 before the streak was ended in 2020 when favourite Verry Elleegant failed to place in the race when finishing fourth.
King Charles III fields are almost always the cream of the crop when it comes to Australian horses, and the highly fancied runners typically fare well.
Recent favourites to have won include Anamoe, Verry Elleegant, Avilius, Winx, Kermadec, Sacred Falls, Shoot Out, Sincero, More Joyous and Racing To Win, which currently holds the track record. There have been favourites to get beaten and there’s some top names among that list. Mr Brightside, Verry Elleegant, Shogun Lodge, Sunline, Danewin, Lonhro, Might And Power and Super Impose all suffered defeat when heavily backed.
There has been only seven double-figure priced winners since 1983 at an average price of $20, with the most recent coming in 2009 when Road To Rock paid a massive $40.
Look for the male horses when placing your bets. There has been only five female horses win in the last 32 years (Fangirl, Verry Elleegant, Winx, Streama, More Joyous and Ma Chipquita) so history isn’t on the side of the fillies and mares.
Gai Waterhouse has a good record with four wins from 25 starters in modern history, but T.J. Smith’s record of 11 wins will take some catching. There is one particular jockey to follow which is Hugh Bowman who has won this race four times.
2024 King Charles III Stakes Final Field
HorseBetting will update this page when the 2024 King Charles III Stakes final field is released.
Previous King Charles III Stakes Fields
Plenty of Group 1 superstars have gone on to win the King Charles III Stakes as they kick off their spring campaigns. Check the previous fields here.
No. Silks Horse Trainer Jockey Barrier Weight 1 Think It Over Kerry Parker Nash Rawiller 4 59kg 2 Mr Brightside Ben, Will & JD Hayes Craig Williams 8 59kg 3 Zaaki Annabel Neasham Jamie Kah 7 59kg 4 Huetor Peter & Paul Snowden Joshua Parr 12 59kg 5 Light Infantry Man Ciaron Maher & David Eustace Zac Purton 6 59kg 6 My Oberon Annabel Neasham Chad Schofield 3 59kg 7 Buckaroo Joseph O’Brien Hugh Bowman 10 59kg 8 Zeyrek Michael, Wayne & John Hawkes Sam Clipperton 13 59kg 9 Nugget Ciaron Maher & David Eustace Dylan Gibbons 9 59kg 10 Democracy Manifest Chris Waller Tyler Schiller 16 59kg 11 Golden Mile James Cummings Zac Lloyd 5 58.5kg 12 Kovalica Chris Waller Tommy Berry 15 58.5kg 13 Rediener Chris Waller Kathy O’Hara 1 58.5kg 14 Fangirl Chris Waller James McDonald 2 57kg 15 Atishu Chris Waller Kerrin McEvoy 11 57kg 16 Hope In Your Heart Kerry Parker Jason Collett 14 57kg No. Silks Horse Trainer Jockey Barrier Weight 1 Zaaki Annabel Neasham Tommy Berry 7 59kg 2 Maximal John O’Shea James McDonald 8 58.5kg 3 Anamoe James Cummings James McDonald 8 58.5kg 4 Converge Gai Waterhouse & Adrian Bott Tim Clark 10 58.5kg 5 Profondo Richard Litt Brenton Avdulla 2 58.5kg 6 Duais Edward Cummings Joshua Parr 5 57kg 7 Montefilia David Payne Jason Collett 6 57kg 8 Icebath Brad Widdup Tommy Berry 4 57kg 9 Fangirl Chris Waller Hugh Bowman 3 56.5kg 10 Hinged Chris Waller Kerrin McEvoy 1 56.5kg No. Silks Horse Trainer Jockey Barrier Weight 1 Kolding Chris Waller Tim Clark 4 59kg 2 Think It Over Kerry Parker Nash Rawiller 6 59kg 3 Cascadian James Cummings Hugh Bowman 9 59kg 4 Star Of The Seas Chris Waller Sam Clipperton 5 59kg 5 Riodini Gai Waterhouse & Adrian Bott Rachel King 1 59kg 6 Lion’s Roar John O’Shea Regan Bayliss 8 58.5kg 7 Verry Elleegant Chris Waller James McDonald 2 57kg 8 Shout The Bar Gai Waterhouse & Adrian Bott Kathy O’Hara 3 57kg 9 Hungry Heart Chris Waller Kerrin McEvoy 7 56.5kg No. Silks Horse Trainer Jockey Barrier Weight 1 Avilius James Cummings Hugh Bowman 6 59kg 2 Dreamforce John Thompson Nash Rawiller 1 59kg 3 Kolding Chris Waller Tommy Berry 7 59kg 4 Imaging Chris Waller Kerrin McEvoy 5 59kg 5 Star Of The Seas Chris Waller Sam Clipperton 3 59kg 6 Verry Elleegant Chris Waller James McDonald 2 57kg 7 Colette James Cummings Rachel King 4 56.5kg
2023 King Charles III Stakes result
Recent King Charles III Stakes winners
- The inaugural running of the Group 1 King Charles III Stakes (1600m) has been taken out by Fangirl ($5), as Chris Waller & James McDonald combined for their fourth success on the five-year-old mare. It was a race setup by the stablemate and Group 1 Epsom Handicap (1600m) winner, Rediener ($34.00) electing to head straight to the front, along with Godolphin colt Golden Mile ($23.00), giving the back markers every opportunity to travel into the race strongly. Craig Williams was smoking the pipe from the one-one position aboard Mr Brightside ($1.90) and when the race went on, you would’ve thought the two-time Group 1 Doncaster Mile (1600m) winner was going to career away with the prize. It wasn’t to be, however, as James McDonald just sat quietly in behind the leading pair and travelled strongly before putting them away in style, with Mr Brightside and My Oberon ($34.00) clearing out on the rest of the field holding the minor money spots.
- Having claimed the Winx Stakes first-up, Godolphin’s Anamoe claimed a second Group 1 of his spring campaign when winning the George Main Stakes. Having been sent out as a long odds-on favourite , James McDonald had the superstar colt settled outside race leader Hinged upon settling and when turning, the four-year-old colt simply never looked like getting beaten. He botted clear inside the final furlong and despite winning by just under a length to Icebath, the result was never in doubt.
- The Chris Waller-trained legend that is Verry Elleegant was an outstanding winner in the 2021 George Main Stakes. Having spotted tearaway leader Riodini four-lengths with 400m to go, Verry Elleegant and James McDonald had it all to do in the home straight. However, McDonald knew what he had underneath him and had the mare powering to the line over the final 100m to gift Verry Elleegant connections a ninth Group 1 with the mare. The win handed Chris Waller his eight George Main Stakes win as a trainer, including eight of the last nine George Main’s.
- The 2020 George Main Stakes will go long live in the memory of superstar trainer Chris Waller as he trained the first four across the line in the race. Despite race favourite Verry Elleegant finishing fourth, it was the star mares stablemate Kolding who took out the top honours. It was Kolding’s first win since taking out the 2019 Golden Eagle, with Star Of The Seas and Imaging rounding out the trifecta.
- After settling last in the nine horse field, the Godolphin star Avilius let loose with an electric turn of foot to run down Dreamforce and pulling away at the 100 metre mark to bag his third Group 1.
- It was easy as you like for Winx to complete a third-straight George Main Stakes. Le Romain pinched a handy lead at the 400m approached but the mighty mare clicked into gear to leave the field in her wake. Le Romain held on well for second while Egg Tart rocketed him just to miss out on the quinella placing.
- Winx delivered yet another win in a big Group 1 race, but it wasn’t easy as the margin suggested. The champion was under pressure at the 1000m, and Hugh Bowman admitted after the race that he had to give Winx a couple of reminders before the turn. The mighty mare eventually powered away to win from Happy Clapper, but on second viewing it wasn’t the stroll in the park many anticipated.
- It was another easy win for Winx which continued the terrific race record of Chris Waller. Winx was never going to get beat as it strolled past its opposition and Hugh Bowman barely moved a muscle. The George Main was a pivotal lead-up to the Cox Plate where Winx would go on to win. Read race report here.
- Chris Waller lined up Kermadec to victory in 2015 and it quickly became the 2015 Cox Plate favourite. The four-year-old settled midfield and recorded a half-length win over Royal Descent which suffered its third straight second placing in as many years. It carried 5.8kg on a slow track and paid $2.30 for the win.
- Multiple Doncaster Handicap winner Sacred Falls defeated a field of 10 runners. A Chris Waller-trained import from New Zealand, Sacred Falls burst through runners to record an impressive victory over Royal Descent and Laser Hawk. The stake money was only $350,000, but this race would be a stepping stone for much richer races further down the line.
- One of only three female horses to win the George Main Stakes, Streama was in a purple patch of form and it fought off all challengers to win for the late Guy Walter. The five-year-old mare again handed Royal Descent another placing and both were just over a length in front of the New Zealand-trained Veyron. Some of the spring stayers were having a hit out, such as Hawkspur and Fawkner, but take nothing away from the win.
- Shoot Out was a $15,000 purchase which scored many big wins, including the 2012 George Main. Chris Waller had three runners in the field and scored the quinella with the lovable Rangirangdoo narrowly missing out by a neck. Shoot Out defeated only a field of eight runners and small fields are normal for this race, but the quality was there with All Too Hard finishing only fourth with 50.5kg on its back – Shoot Out carried 59kg.
- Another field of only eight runners lined up in 2011 with Sincero giving punters a big win. The Scott Farley-trained provincial horse proved too good for its rivals when winning by a neck over Ilovethiscity. It was one of the weakest fields in George Main history and it was also held at Rosehill instead of Randwick. They raced over 1500m instead of the mile which made this running a unique one.
Previous King Charles III Stakes winners
|King Charles III Stakes Past Winners|
|2023||Fangirl||James McDonald||Chris Waller|
|2022||Anamoe||James McDonald||James Cummings|
|2021||Verry Eleegant||James McDonald||Chris Waller|
|2020||Kolding||Tommy Berry||Chris Waller|
|2019||Avilius||Kerrin McEvoy||James Cummings|
|2018||Winx||Hugh Bowman||Chris Waller|
|2017||Winx||Hugh Bowman||Chris Waller|
|2016||Winx||Hugh Bowman||Chris Waller|
|2015||Kermadec||Glyn Schofield||Chris Waller|
|2014||Sacred Falls||Zac Purton||Chris Waller|
|2013||Streama||Blake Shinn||Guy Walter|
|2012||Shoot Out||Hugh Bowman||Chris Waller|
|2011||Sincero||Chris O’Brien||Stephen Farley|
|2010||More Joyous||Corey Brown||Gai Waterhouse|
|2009||Road To Rock||Glyn Schofield||Anthony Cummings|
|2008||Mentality||Corey Brown||John Hawkes|
|2007||Race Not Held|
|2006||Racing To Win||Glen Boss||John O’Shea|
|2005||Mr Celebrity||Lenny Beasley||Gai Waterhouse|
|2004||Grand Armee||Darren Beasley||Gai Waterhouse|
|2003||Lonhro||Darren Beadman||John Hawkes|
|2002||Defier||Chris Munce||Guy Walter|
|2001||Viscount||Kerrin McEvoy||John Hawkes|
|2000||Adam||Justin Sheehan||Ray Brock|
King Charles III Stakes Past Winners Pre 2000
|King Charles III Stakes Past Winners Pre 2000|
|1948||De La Salle|