George Main Stakes
Group One Betting Guide
|Date:||Saturday 17 September, 2022|
A major Sydney spring carnival race, the George Main Stakes is in honour of its namesake, George Main, who was the chairman of the Australian Jockey Club.
The 1600m Group 1 is typically held at Randwick in September. The winner of the George Main Stakes is exempt from the Epsom Handicap which means there’s more to play for than just the half a million purse on offer.
The weight-for-age feature has been won by some of Australia’s champion thoroughbreds and there will be many horses vying to add their names to the list this year. Winx, Imposing, Kingston Town, Vo Rogue, Lonhro and More Joyous are just a handful of past winners of the George Main.
2022 George Main Stakes betting odds
Markets for the 2022 George Main Stakes are currently unavailable.
Best George Main Stakes bookmakers
The bookmakers below offer markets on the George Main Stakes. Click on any of the links to read a comprehensive review.
George Main Stakes Bookmakers
George Main Stakes betting guide
Favourites punters rejoice come George Main Stakes time. Mainly due to the fact that superstar Winx won the race on three consecutive occasions between 2016-2018.
George Main Stakes favourites had saluted for six straight years between 2014-2019 before the streak was ended in 2020 when favourite Verry Elleegant failed to place in the race when finishing fourth.
George Main fields are almost always the cream of the crop when it comes to Australian horses, and the highly fancied runners typically fare well.
Recent favourites to have won include Verry Elleegant, Avilius, Winx, Kermadec, Sacred Falls, Shoot Out, Sincero, More Joyous and Racing To Win, which currently holds the track record. There have been favourites to get beaten and there’s some top names among that list. Verry Elleegant, Shogun Lodge, Sunline, Danewin, Lonhro, Might And Power and Super Impose all suffered defeat when heavily backed.
There has been only seven double-figure priced winners since 1983 at an average price of $20, with the most recent coming in 2009 when Road To Rock paid a massive $40.
Look for the male horses when placing your bets. There has been only four female horses win in the last 30 years (Verry Elleegant, Winx, Streama, More Joyous and Ma Chipquita) so history isn’t on the side of the fillies and mares.
Gai Waterhouse has a good record with four wins from 25 starters in modern history, but T.J. Smith’s record of 11 wins will take some catching. There is one particular jockey to follow which is Hugh Bowman who has won this race four times.
2020 George Main Stakes result
Recent George Main Stakes winners
- The Chris Waller-trained legend that is Verry Elleegant was an outstanding winner in the 2021 George Main Stakes. Having spotted tearaway leader Riodini four-lengths with 400m to go, Verry Elleegant and James McDonald had it all to do in the home straight. However, McDonald knew what he had underneath him and had the mare powering to the line over the final 100m to gift Verry Elleegant connections a ninth Group 1 with the mare. The win handed Chris Waller his eight George Main Stakes win as a trainer, including eight of the last nine George Main’s.
- The 2020 George Main Stakes will go long live in the memory of superstar trainer Chris Waller as he trained the first four across the line in the race. Despite race favourite Verry Elleegant finishing fourth, it was the star mares stablemate Kolding who took out the top honours. It was Kolding’s first win since taking out the 2019 Golden Eagle, with Star Of The Seas and Imaging rounding out the trifecta.
- After settling last in the nine horse field, the Godolphin star Avilius let loose with an electric turn of foot to run down Dreamforce and pulling away at the 100 metre mark to bag his third Group 1.
- It was easy as you like for Winx to complete a third-straight George Main Stakes. Le Romain pinched a handy lead at the 400m approached but the mighty mare clicked into gear to leave the field in her wake. Le Romain held on well for second while Egg Tart rocketed him just to miss out on the quinella placing.
- Winx delivered yet another win in a big Group 1 race, but it wasn’t easy as the margin suggested. The champion was under pressure at the 1000m, and Hugh Bowman admitted after the race that he had to give Winx a couple of reminders before the turn. The mighty mare eventually powered away to win from Happy Clapper, but on second viewing it wasn’t the stroll in the park many anticipated.
- It was another easy win for Winx which continued the terrific race record of Chris Waller. Winx was never going to get beat as it strolled past its opposition and Hugh Bowman barely moved a muscle. The George Main was a pivotal lead-up to the Cox Plate where Winx would go on to win. Read race report here.
- Chris Waller lined up Kermadec to victory in 2015 and it quickly became the 2015 Cox Plate favourite. The four-year-old settled midfield and recorded a half-length win over Royal Descent which suffered its third straight second placing in as many years. It carried 5.8kg on a slow track and paid $2.30 for the win.
- Multiple Doncaster Handicap winner Sacred Falls defeated a field of 10 runners. A Chris Waller-trained import from New Zealand, Sacred Falls burst through runners to record an impressive victory over Royal Descent and Laser Hawk. The stake money was only $350,000, but this race would be a stepping stone for much richer races further down the line.
- One of only three female horses to win the George Main Stakes, Streama was in a purple patch of form and it fought off all challengers to win for the late Guy Walter. The five-year-old mare again handed Royal Descent another placing and both were just over a length in front of the New Zealand-trained Veyron. Some of the spring stayers were having a hit out, such as Hawkspur and Fawkner, but take nothing away from the win.
- Shoot Out was a $15,000 purchase which scored many big wins, including the 2012 George Main. Chris Waller had three runners in the field and scored the quinella with the lovable Rangirangdoo narrowly missing out by a neck. Shoot Out defeated only a field of eight runners and small fields are normal for this race, but the quality was there with All Too Hard finishing only fourth with 50.5kg on its back – Shoot Out carried 59kg.
- Another field of only eight runners lined up in 2011 with Sincero giving punters a big win. The Scott Farley-trained provincial horse proved too good for its rivals when winning by a neck over Ilovethiscity. It was one of the weakest fields in George Main history and it was also held at Rosehill instead of Randwick. They raced over 1500m instead of the mile which made this running a unique one.
Previous George Main Stakes winners
|George Main Stakes Past Winners|
|2021||Verry Eleegant||James McDonald||Chris Waller|
|2020||Kolding||Tommy Berry||Chris Waller|
|2019||Avilius||Kerrin McEvoy||James Cummings|
|2018||Winx||Hugh Bowman||Chris Waller|
|2017||Winx||Hugh Bowman||Chris Waller|
|2016||Winx||Hugh Bowman||Chris Waller|
|2015||Kermadec||Glyn Schofield||Chris Waller|
|2014||Sacred Falls||Zac Purton||Chris Waller|
|2013||Streama||Blake Shinn||Guy Walter|
|2012||Shoot Out||Hugh Bowman||Chris Waller|
|2011||Sincero||Chris O’Brien||Stephen Farley|
|2010||More Joyous||Corey Brown||Gai Waterhouse|
|2009||Road To Rock||Glyn Schofield||Anthony Cummings|
|2008||Mentality||Corey Brown||John Hawkes|
|2007||Race Not Held|
|2006||Racing To Win||Glen Boss||John O’Shea|
|2005||Mr Celebrity||Lenny Beasley||Gai Waterhouse|
|2004||Grand Armee||Darren Beasley||Gai Waterhouse|
|2003||Lonhro||Darren Beadman||John Hawkes|
|2002||Defier||Chris Munce||Guy Walter|
|2001||Viscount||Kerrin McEvoy||John Hawkes|
|2000||Adam||Justin Sheehan||Ray Brock|
George Main Stakes Past Winners Pre 2000
|George Main Stakes Past Winners Pre 2000|
|1948||De La Salle|