The Damien Oliver
Group Two Betting Guide
|Date:||Saturday, November 2, 2024|
|Location:||Flemington Racecourse – Melbourne, Victoria|
The Linlithgow Stakes, registered as the TAB Stakes since 2014, is a Group 2 race held at Flemington annually on VRC Derby Day during the Melbourne Cup Carnival.
It is run under Handicap conditions and covers a distance of 1400m. The inaugural running of the race took place in 1868, with Gulnare emerging as the victor.
As of 2023, the Linlithgow Stakes carries a prizemoney pool of $500,000.
Throughout its long history, the Linlithgow Stakes has undergone several changes in distance. It initially spanned six furlongs, then expanded to seven furlongs from 1887.
In 1908, it was run over a mile before reverting back to seven furlongs in 1968, a distance it maintained until 1992. Finally, in 2022, the race was extended to its current distance of 1400m.
Glamour Puss was the last horse to accomplish the Linlithgow Stakes/Champions Sprint Classic Cup week double, achieving this feat in 2005. Another notable performance came from Osborne Bulls, who won the race in 2018 and went on to make history by finishing second in five consecutive Group 1 races during the autumn racing season.
In 2020, Kemalpasa secured back-to-back victories in the Linlithgow Stakes, and interestingly, he once again defeated Order Of Command. The following year, Kemalpasa narrowly missed out on a win, finishing a mere nose behind the winner Justacanta.
In 2023, the Linlithgow Stakes was renamed to The Damien Oliver to honour the retiring great.
2024 The Damien Oliver Betting Odds
Markets for The 2024 edition of The Damien Oliver is currently unavailable.
Best The Damien Oliver bookmakers
All of our top horse betting sites have markets for The Damien Oliver.
Most of the Melbourne Cup Carnival races have markets opened well in advance and the Group 2 The Damien Oliver is no exception.
Latest The Damien Oliver News
2024 The Damien Oliver Final Field
HorseBetting will update this page when the 2024 field for The Damien Oliver is released.
Previous The Damien Oliver Field
No. Silks Horse Trainer Jockey Barrier Weight 1 Vilana James Cummings Damien Oliver 9 59kg 2 King Magnus Robbie Griffiths & Mathew de Kock Thomas Stockdale 8 57.5kg 3 Bandersnatch Michael, Wayne & John Hawkes Jordan Childs 6 57kg 4 Ayrton Mick Price & Michael Kent (Jnr) Mark Zahra 17 56.5kg 5 Tamerlane James Cummings James McDonald 1 56.5kg 6 Zoutori Mathew Ellerton Linda Meech 3 56.5kg 7 Corner Pocket Lindsey Smith Declan Bates 13 56kg 8 Munhamek Nick Ryan Blake Shinn 18 55.5kg 9 Not An Option Mike Moroney Billy Egan 16 55kg 10 Here To Shock Ben, Will & JD Hayes Daniel Stackhouse 4 54.5kg 11 Savannah Cloud Phillip Stokes Zac Spain 12 54.5kg 12 Kalino Chris Waller Jye McNeil 10 54kg 13 Swords Drawn Mike Moroney Winona Costin 2 53.5kg 14 Williamsburg Gerald Ryan & Sterling Alexiou Rachel King 14 53kg 15 Lord Vladivostok Michael Hickmott Teo Nugent 5 53kg 16 Jack The Lad Wayne Francis & Glen Kent Justin Potter 11 53kg 17 Cause For Concern (1E) Shawn Mathrick Jamie Kah 7 53kg 18 Zennzella (2E) Ciaron Maher & David Eustace TBC 15 53kg No. Silks Horse Trainer Jockey Barrier Weight 1 Sinawann Anthony & Sam Freedman Ben Melham 14 59kg 2 Streets Of Avalon Shane Nichols Zac Spain 8 59kg 3 The Inferno Cliff Brown Damien Oliver 7 59kg 4 Catalyst Mike Moroney Mark Zahra 13 57.5kg 5 Crosshaven Ben & JD Hayes Daniel Stackhouse 6 56kg 6 Ironclad Will Clarken John Allen 10 56kg 7 Turaath Maddie Raymond William Buick 3 56kg 8 Old Flame Peter & Paul Snowden James McDonald 2 55kg 9 Wild Planet Michael, Wayne & John Hawkes Jye McNeil 5 55kg 10 Morvada Peter Jolly Linda Meech 16 54.5kg 11 Jimmy The Bear Patrick Payne Dean Yendall 12 54kg 12 Wicklow Town Julie Scott Teo Nugent 11 54kg 13 Brigatine James Cummings Craig Williams 9 53kg 14 Poland Mike Moroney Craig Newitt 15 53kg 15 Pride Of Jenni Ciaron Maher & David Eustace Daniel Moor 1 53kg 16 Lord Vladivostok Michael Hickmott Michael Dee 4 53kg
2023 Linlithgow Stakes result
Recent Linlithgow Stakes results
- It’s only fitting that it’s taken a superb steer to score victory in the inaugural running of the Group 2 The Damien Oliver (1400m), as Jamie Kah chalked up a winning double aboard Cause For Concern in the final race of the Derby Day program at Flemington. Cause For Concern ($11.00) savaged the line under Kah when the gaps came, giving the Shawn Mathrick-trained gelding a much-deserved win after a campaign without much luck. Damien Oliver tried to ensure the eventual winner never saw daylight, as Vilana ($7.00) loomed as a danger to the leading stablemate Tamerlane ($3.80) who also gave a strong kick turning for home. Bandersnatch ($26.00) was unlucky being forced to travel along a three-wide line throughout the 1400m contest but was still there when the whips were cracking. It was a three-way go to the line, with Cause For Concern powering away from his rivals, bringing up his fifth win at start 13.
- Under the expert guidance of champion jockey James McDonald, Old Flame was always going to be tough for frontrunner Poland to hold off after he made his move on the straight in the 1400m Group 2 feature worth $500,000. Having been a tough watch for punters at his last start at Caulfield, Old Flame was given plenty of clear air a long way out. Despite being 2.5 lengths off Poland at the 250m mark, Old Flame hit the lead with 75m to go and was careering away from his rivals in dominant fashion.
- Less than half a length covered the first four in the 2021 Linlithgow Stakes (1200m) at Flemington, but it was the outsider of the field — Justacanta — who did best in a driving finish. Despite being two-lengths off the leaders with 100m to go, the Patrick Payne-trained Justacanta peeled off runners to chase down the admirably honest topweight Kemalpasa by a short-head with a nose back to Isaurian in third. The Linlithgow Stakes win for Justacanta was his second black-type success in as as many starts at Flemington, having saluted in the Listed Paris Lane Stakes the start prior.
- Having won the race 12 months earlier, the Richard & Chantelle Jolly-trained Kemalpasa was determined to defend his Linlithgow Stakes crown and he did so in style. The Richard & Chantelle Jolly-trained sprinter was given a four week freshen-up following a third-placed finish in the Gilgai Stakes and it paid dividends. Having raced up on speed from the get go, Kemalpasa was there to be beaten with 200m to go, but the gutsy sprinter managed to keep finding under the urgings of Craig Williams to go on and win the race by a length.
- The Richard & Chantelle Jolly-trained Kemalpasa entered the 2019 Linlithgow Stakes as a $10 chance, but with 150m to go, you didn’t want to be on anything else as the emerging sprinters charged clear of an impressive field. Having won the Listed Durbridge Stakes at Morphettville the start prior, Kemalpasa proved to be a touch too slick for his rivals in damp conditions at Flemington.
Linlithgow Stakes winners
|Linlithgow Stakes Past Winners|
|2023||Cause For Concern||Jamie Kah||Shawn Mathrick|
|2022||Old Flame||James McDonald||Peter & Paul Snowden|
|2021||Justacanta||Dean Yendall||Patrick Payne|
|2020||Kemalpasa||Craig Williams||Richard & Chantelle Jolly|
|2019||Kemalpasa||Jake Toeroek||Richard & Chantelle Jolly|
|2018||Osborne Bulls||Hugh Bowman||James Cummings|
|2017||Rich Charm||Patrick Moloney||Udyta Clarke|
|2016||Illustrious Lad||Anthony Darmanin||Peter Gelagotis|
|2015||Eclair Choice||Dom Tourneur||Phillip Stokes|
|2014||Deep Field||Dwayne Dunn||Michael, Wayne & John Hawkes|
|2013||Fontelina||Peter Robl||Anthony Cummings|
|2012||Fontelina||Vlad Duric||Anthony Cummings|
|2011||Sister Madley||Damien Oliver||John Sadler|
|2010||Whitefriars||Jim Cassidy||Rick Worthington|
|2009||Eagle Falls||Damien Oliver||David Hayes|
|2008||Hot Danish||Danny Nikolic||Les Bridge|
|2007||Swick||James Winks||Bart Cummings|
|2006||Magnus||Luke Nolen||Peter Moody|
|2005||Glamour Puss||Steven King||Danny O’Brien|
|2004||Fastnet Rock||Glen Boss||Paul Perry|
|2003||Our Egyptian Raine||Nash Rawiller||Grahame Begg|
|2002||Choisir||Glen Boss||Paul Perry|
|2001||Belle Du Jour||Patrick Payne||Clarry Conners|
|2000||Black Bean||Brett Prebble||Mathew Ellerton|
Linlithgow Stakes winners pre-2000
|Linlithgow Stakes Past Winners Pre 2000|
|1964||Star Of Heaven|
|1944-1942||Race Not Held|
|1925||The Night Patrol|
|1924||The Night Patrol|
|1923||Maid Of The Mist|
|1883||Brown And Rose|
|1875||The Marquis Colt|
|1869||Coeur De Lion|