Lismore Turf Club manager Scott Jones is out of an induced coma and on the mend after suffering serious burns at the racecourse about two weeks ago.
Jones received burns to about 45 per cent of his body after an explosion occurred when he went into a kitchen at the racecourse unaware there was a gas leak.
He was put into an induced coma that afternoon and underwent multiple skin graft operations at Royal Brisbane Hospital.
Deputy chairman of Lismore Turf Club Michael Cleaver said on Tuesday that Jones would soon be starting therapy to regain movement.
“They’ve got a swear jar near him apparently,” Cleaver told Sky Sports Radio.
“He remembers a lot that happened, which is good.”
Banner error, could not find casino id "william-hill-sport"
Cleaver remains flabbergasted at Jones’ clear-thinking immediately after the explosion, when he found keys to the jockeys room and walked about 100 yards to get into a shower.
“I’d be running around like a headless chook,” Cleaver said.
“They reckon it’s helped save his life and his burns.”
Cleaver says a fundraising night will be held for the father of three in February or March next year, depending on his progress.
“We want him to hopefully be able to walk through that door,” he said.
More than $36,000 has been raised on GoFundMe to support Jones’ family during his recovery, surpassing an initial goal of $30,000.
The investigation into the gas explosion is ongoing.