Nash Rawiller back riding trackwork

nash rawiller
Nash Rawiller has ridden trackwork at Rosehill as he prepares to return from a 15-month ban.

Nash Rawiller has ridden trackwork at Rosehill as he starts the road back to reclaiming his career after serving a lengthy disqualification.

The multiple Group One-winning jockey was banned in April last year for 15 months by Hong Kong authorities for accepting gifts or money in exchange for tips.

With his sentence soon to expire, Rawiller has had the penalty reduced to a suspension which allows him to ride trackwork and trials ahead of a race return.

Although he plans to make his home at Mornington in Victoria, Rawiller’s paperwork was delayed in Victoria while Racing NSW was able to push it through to enable him to get started on Thursday

“I galloped a couple and cantered a couple,” Rawiller told Sky Sports Radio.

“I am going to Newcastle to ride trials for Kim Waugh tomorrow.”

Rawiller said he would alternate between Rosehill and Randwick trackwork and while he had done his best to get fit before he started riding, he expected to be stiff and sore for a while.

He admitted the ban had been hard on his family, but said his wife and children were resilient while the most difficult part for him was being unable to participate in the beginning of his son Campbell’s riding career.

Campbell Rawiller has been accepted to Racing Victoria’s apprentice program and is soon to begin riding in trials, the next step towards race riding.

“Not being able to help Campbell. That’s been the hardest thing,” Rawiller said.

A disqualified person is unable to set foot on any licensed premises including stables with the younger Rawiller beginning his education with trainer Logan McGill.

Rawiller said he was looking to the future not the past and hoped to be a force at carnivals again.

“I’m not going to dwell too much on the past,” he said.

I’ve had 14 months to think about it and the mistakes I’ve made.

“Now I’m going to focus on the future.”