KATHY O’HARA IS THE ONLY WOMAN TO RIDE IN THIS YEAR’S CUP
O’Hara rides the Nick Olive-trained Single Gaze who she partnered to second in the Caulfield Cup
“It would mean the world to me, not only just me and my career but also to win for Nick and all of the owners in this horse. I know how much she means to everybody so it would just be amazing. A dream come true.”
WOMEN IN THE CUP
* 1987 – New Zealander Maree Lyndon becomes first woman to ride in a Melbourne Cup finishing 20th of 21 on Argonaut Style
* 2003 – Clare Lindop becomes first Australian woman to ride in the Cup, finishing 19th of 23 on Debben
* 2007 – Two female jockeys ride in a Melbourne Cup for the first time. Clare Lindop partners Dolphin Jo into fifth place while Lisa Cropp finishes ninth on Sculptor
* 2009 – Clare Lindop rides the Bart Cummings-trained Moatize to 6th while Michelle Payne rides stablemate Allez Wonder who finishes 16th.
* 2015 – Payne becomes first female to win the Melbourne Cup on the Darren Weir-trained Prince Of Penzance.
* 2016 – Katelyn Mallyon rides Assign to 19th of 24
* 2017 – Kathy O’Hara rides Single Gaze