The Seymour Cup will not be run this year with the newly reconstructed track needing extra time to consolidate.
Racing was scheduled to resume on October 16 following the $5.15 million upgrade to the country Victorian track but the return has been delayed to November 19.
Bad weather, including local floods earlier this year, impacted on the construction of the track which has been widened from 18m to 23m.
The Seymour Racing Club will explore options to run the Cup next autumn before returning it to its spring timeslot in 2017.
Turn Me Loose won last year’s Seymour Cup before going on to claim the Emirates Stakes on the final day of the Melbourne Cup carnival.
Jamie McGuinness, Racing Victoria’s executive general manager of infrastructure and club support, said the Seymour track would benefit from the extra time.
“While the upgrade works are complete, we have decided to take a conservative approach to return to racing, particularly given the impacts of weather on the construction schedule,” McGuinness said.