Australian jockey Nash Rawiller in HK ban

Nash Rawiller
Australian jockey Nash Rawiller has been banned for 15 months by Hong Kong Jockey stewards.

Former champion Sydney jockey Nash Rawiller has been banned for 15 months by Hong Kong Jockey Club stewards for breaches of the racing jurisdiction’s strict betting regulations.

Rawiller was stood down on Wednesday at the end of an inquiry that found the 48-year-old guilty of having an interest in a bet and from receiving a benefit for providing tips.

Rawiller faced two charges, he did not enter a plea and was found guilty on both counts.

Two 15-month disqualifications were imposed and they will be served concurrently.

Stewards started the inquiry on Tuesday after receiving a report from the Hong Kong Jockey Club’s security and integrity department following an interview with Rawiller earlier that day.

Crownbet

The stewards report posted on the HKJC website said: “There was no evidence before the stewards that N Rawiller had ridden any horse in Hong Kong with the intention other than to obtain the best possible placing for the horse.

“Further, the evidence before the stewards was that N Rawiller had only tipped horses ridden by him and never horses he had ridden against.”

The HKJC’s executive director Andrew Harding said overseas racing authorities had been notified and the club would not comment on the details of the investigation.

Rawiller has been based in Hong Kong for four years and is third in this season’s jockeys’ premiership with 40 winners.

Chris Munce was the last jockey to be charged in Hong Kong in relation to betting.

Arrested in July, 2006, Munce spent 13 months in jail in Australia after serving six months of his prison term in Hong Kong.