Abandoned Kilmore Cup won’t be rescheduled

The Kilmore Cup will not be rescheduled after having to be abandoned along with seven other races because of torrential rain and thunderstorms.

Sunday’s meeting, which featured the Listed Kilmore Cup (1600m), was called off after one race.

Racing Victoria’s racing operations manager, Paul Bloodworth, said over 80 per cent of horses due to compete at Kilmore had been nominated for other races this week.

“There are suitable alternatives already in the program for the majority of horses,” Bloodworth said.

Sportsbet

“We looked closely at the program, and there were no suitable dates which would allow us to reschedule the Kilmore Cup. We considered the early January meeting at Kilmore, but that period already includes a number of races for the type of horses suited to a Kilmore Cup.

“Unfortunately, we couldn’t reschedule the Kilmore Cup without making alterations to the current program already catering for milers, so in consultation with the Kilmore Racing Club we have decided that it won’t be run this season, but will return next November.”

A $40,000 race will be added to the January 6 meeting at Kilmore with the distance and conditions to be determined.

The $20,000 VOBIS Gold bonus on offer in a benchmark-78 at the abandoned meeting will be transferred to the 1300m benchmark-78 at Sandown this Saturday.

The Darren Weir-trained pair of Howard Be Thy Name and Another Coldie and the Matthew Williams-trained Our Bottino were entered for the Kilmore Cup and are now acceptors for Thursday’s Port Fairy Cup at Warrnambool.