SOME FACTS AND FIGURES ABOUT THE $500,000 GROUP ONE TATT’S TIARA (1400M) AT EAGLE FARM ON SATURDAY:
* First run in 1989 when won by La Posette
* First elevated to Group I status in 2007 when it was won by Nova Star
* From 2006-2015, 10 different jockeys and trainers have won the race – of those trainers only Ciaron Maher and Gai Waterhouse have horses entered.
SOME BIG NAMES TO WIN IT
* Mamzelle Pedrille (1995), Dane Ripper (1997), Bonanova (1999-2000), Melito (2010), Red Tracer (2013), Srikandi (2015)
* Azkadellia jumped favourite in the Stradbroke and failed to run on while she was flat in the Doomben 10,000 and could not go with Music Magnate there, raising questions as to whether she is at her best.
* When Dane Ripper won the race in 1997 she went on to win the Cox Plate in an upset. It’s hard to see any of this year’s contenders going on to the WFA championship of Australia, even if Azkadellia, who is quoted at $15 right now does make her way into the field.
* There is not much pace engaged in the race with the Waterhouse-trained Echo Gal the only noted speed horse, she is likely to get a very soft lead – in theory this could set things up for the Kris Lees-trained Danish Twist.
WHAT THE MAIN PLAYERS ARE SAYING
* “I just think Nick’s riding style will really suit her,” – trainer Ciaron Maher on giving Nick Hall the leg-up on favourite Azkadellia instead of Damien Oliver.
* “If you asked about her at the beginning of the year I would have said she is a nice horse with her idiosyncrasies that I hope to get to stakes level. If she could get a black type placing I would have been delighted,” Kris Lees on Danish Twist.
* “Obviously Azkadellia is a benchmark but, who knows, she might have come to the end of her preparation,” Cradle Me’s trainer David Pfeiffer is full of hope.
* “I’ve never ridden in Queensland before. I’ve ridden the other way of going a few times, but not many, so it’s going to be a bit different,” Chris Parnham, who is riding My Poppette best get used to the right-handed way of going.